“Great hotel but very loud”
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #25 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sydney
“Great hotel but very loud”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for our last night in Mexico, as an alternative to staying in Cancun before flying out. The 'loft room' we had was beautiful; huge double shower, super comfortable bed and a great living area with a second tv. There isn't a fridge or mini bar which seemed a bit odd but other than that I cannot fault the room one bit. It's stunning.

The rooftop pool area is, as other reviewers have stated, just like the photos and it really is lovely. The music was a bit hit and miss as the volume was all over the place but other than that it was nice to hang out there in the morning and not at all busy.

Breakfast was nice enough but small and if you wanted a refill for your juice there was a charge but the lovely waitress refilled mine anyway as I wasn't drinking coffee.

My only, but quite major, complaint was the noise. We were unfortunately located facing the street and it was very, very, very loud. I put earplugs in but they didn't help. I tried to sleep on the sofa in the front room but could hear the music from the rooftop pool where a party was most certainly kicking off. If I managed 2 hours sleep, I think that was good going. Oh, and it was a Friday night so not sure if it's like that all week or not.

I really did like this hotel but my advice would be that if you stay there be prepared to stay out and party too. I'm pregnant so didn't have this option but if I was wanting a great place to stay where I could party hard into the early hours then you can't go past this hotel. Not ideal for pregnant ladies :) As much as I like the hotel I was thankful to only be there one night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Naomi K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Prunedale, California
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our anniversary trip. We arrived battling the "Mexican flu" unfortunately but that's when the large room with super cozy bed came in handy. We previously stayed in a more simple laid back place in Tulum, so this hotel was a treat, with the modern fixtures, giant double shower "room" in between the bedroom and front sitting area. I paid for the lowest rate on their website directly and got 20% off as we arrived on a weekday. They still upgraded us to a room one category higher at no fee, and it was in the back so super quiet (after reading some of these reviews that's what I requested). We planned to stay 2 nights and decided to extend our stay, still got the upgrade and same price :) When we felt up for it, we enjoyed great food in their restaurant, being served by truly attentive & pleasant staff. Paulina made us feel like at home and so special. The location of the hotel is also amazing if you want to be near the beach (like 1 block away) and the shopping street. We did not care for how busy the city area was, but were not bothered by it at all. OK, but the best feature of this hotel really is the rooftop pool. I mean - amazing! The views, the atmosphere, the staff & service at the bar right there, so fun! All of our friends were posting exciting and jealous comments to our pictures :) I'd go again for sure if I stayed in Playa.

1 Thank Jana Z
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at the palm at playa for a week at the start of August. The hotel is brand new and immaculate. The room we got was enormous and had an extremely comfortable bed, huge double shower and separate lounge room. If this was my bedroom I'd be in heaven! The staff are lovely - especially Marco, Adrian and Paulina, Jesus. The free breakfast is also great.
Highlights - rooftop pool - you feel like you're in paradise. The space is even used for modeling shoots! The location is awesome for everything - food, bars, bus, beach etc.
The one and only downside to this hotel is the noise at night time. Sometimes coming from the hotel's own rooftop, sometimes from across the street - it can be very loud and on until the early hours of the morning. It did make it hard to sleep some nights and for this reason, I don't think this is a 'family friendly' resort - except if your kids are older.
If the rooms had a mini-bar this hotel would be an overall 5/5! Certainly the best hotel I've ever stayed at - thanks palm for making our stay in mexico so great!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jess B
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, great location, excellent staff. The pool is amazing. Unfortunately there is a karaoke bar right opposite the hotel that plays LOUD, loud music until 5am every night. I am not a difficult sleeper but had to take sleeping tablets to drown the noise out. Such a shame because the hotel is beautiful otherwise

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Misskayan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Absolutely loved our stay at the Palm. We took the offer of the upgrade to the suite, which is essentially a massive apartment-style room with double showers, bed area, and lounge area with a balcony overlooking the street. The staff could not do enough for us, giving recommendations, advice on activities and being genuinely friendly and interested in making our stay enjoyable (Sinahi is awesome!). The rooftop pool looks exactly like the haven it is in the pictures, with attentive and fun waiters. You have a fantastic view of the sea from the roof. The hotel is less than a year old and has been kept up to a high standard with spotlessly clean rooms. The only downside is that the rooms face the street, and are surrounded by hostels and bars with loud music into the night. They have clearly thought about this with soundproof windows, but this isn't always enough- the solution for this is to join the parties yourself! Best for young couples or groups of friends. Location is great- just off the main tourist street and 3 minutes walk to the beach. Breakfast is in the restaurant downstairs which is okay - nothing special, and you order off the menu rather than self-service. Meals we had there were good.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade to the bigger room - it's worth it!
3 Thank J B
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We loved the hotel, it wasn't perfect but I think it came pretty close.

Firstly the location - its just block away from the main street with restaurant, bars and shops. It is not on the beach, but to be honest, if you want to swim at the beach, this is the wrong location for you entirely - it smells very fishy, and if you want the white sandy beach, head to Tulum. The entrance to the hotel is down a street marked for pedestrians, but if you arrive in a taxi or car, they will wave you through.

Secondly the rooms - we had the cheapest option, which was a twin room with no terrace, or view. A perfectly formed little box. It was fine for us, but if you want more light, ask for one with the terrace/ balcony and away from the street. The rooms were clean and modern, only tiny design features, like no where to hang wet towels. The aircon was fantastic, as was the TV - pretty much all brand new. Tip the maids everyday and its cleaned perfectly. Oh and the beds were lovely and comfortable so a pretty good nights sleep too.

Thirdly the restaurant - breakfast was included and it was delicious, good options too including both mexican (lots of egg dishes) and american (pancakes) . On the smaller side, but the quality was very good. The team in the restaurant were friendly as well - you can ask them to change the TV channels if there is something you want to watch. We didn't see anyone eat here, but it offers dinner.

Fourthly and most importantly the roof bar and pool. By far the best pool I have seen. Absolute luxury. The bar does not have a menu - they should really get one- but the staff were friendly and made whatever drink you like, you just need to provide detailed instructions. However its not a 5 star bar so don't expect that level of service. The food from the restaurant can be delivered to the pool. They have parties on certain nights - the target market seems to be locals - or at least non-guests. so its a random crowd but if you are travelling alone, at least its not empty.

The overall service was good. We had one issue when the hotel lost its alcohol licence for 48 hours due to...(well it depends which member of staff you spoke to) but we think a party it held one night so not ideal! Would not deter me from staying again though - everyone we met said they made a real effort to offer assistance and I would agree with this. But anyway, stay tor the pool alone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kiwimissy
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

At first I was impressed by this hotel. The room is very spacious and nicely designed. The pool is beautiful: it looks exactely as in the pictures. However, there were a few flaws with my stay. First of all, our room was facing the street and it was impossible to sleep at night (hard live music until 5 AM). A few of the rooms are simply too loud to be offered to customers. There is a bar at the pool that is very expensive. After 2 days with 50-dollar tabs of drinks, we brought 2 cans of beer from a store to the poolside and got on an argument with the staff around "their policy"... bad way to treat your hard-paying customers. At check-out, I discovered a bill from another customer in my invoice. The staff fixed all my complaints, but it seems they couldn't just get everything right at first.

Room Tip: Avoid the street facing rooms
3 Thank Jean-FrancoisYUL
Juan M, Director General at The Palm at Playa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I am sorry your stay was not as planned. We do have installed triple glass on all the balcony doors facing the street as we know it can get noisy in Playa del Carmen. This seems to be sufficient for the majority of our clients but I am aware we all have different tolerance to noise. I have checked our records and I find no reports that the noise bothered you, had we known we would have done everything possible to assign you a different room.

As to our bar prices, Playa del Carmen offers a huge variety of bars and beach clubs so we try to remain competitive with our prices in order not to lose our clientele to other venues. I have checked you bar bill to ensure there were no mistakes and found that that in your 2 day stay for 6 mixed premium drinks we charged you $485 MXP around $38 USD, prices I believe are on line or below our competition. I am sorry you were bothered by our strict policy on introducing food and drink into the pool area, but it is a general policy in hotels, restaurants and beach clubs as we invest heavily in offering you comfortable, safe and beautiful areas to enjoy your stay.

Once again thank you for sharing your comments with us.