“The best hostel I have stayed in!”
Review of Hacienda del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Hacienda del Sol
“The best hostel I have stayed in!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Casa del Shiva is a beautiful hostel situated away from the chaos of central Playa. The centre is a 5 minute trip by colectivo and costs 5 pesos, making it really easy to scoot in and out of town if you want to. The hostel is spotlessly clean, super comfortable and has a great laid back atmosphere. The rooms are light, airy and colourful and the communal areas include a pool, chillout palapa and fantastic outdoor BBQ. The staff were so friendly, welcoming and helpful and our home cooked breakfasts and dinners were amazing. Huge thanks for a great stay, a proper home from home! I would highly recommend and will definitely stay again if I am ever back this way.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Beckystravels1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tulum, Mexico
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was more than pleasantly surprised when I checked into this place.
Very friendly staff and with a nice chilled atmosphere. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfy.
Location was perfect for me, 5 minute taxi away from the chaos of playa del carmen centre. It was nice to chill by the pool one day and use the complementary wifi too. If your looking for a good, clean hostel with a friendly atmosphere, i would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marco002013
Guadalajara, Spain
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was traveling the last week in Playa del Carmen and fund a great pleace with a very kind people in Casa del Shiva was the perfect experience to my trip.
The house is beautiful, big, clean and the lounge area and the pool is the perfect touch for this experience in Playa.
All the staff was very nice, they gave me maps and some tips in the downtown and the dinner was awsome!! A great chef!!
Thank you Shiv and Miguel!!
See you soon!!

Room Tip: The girls bedroom is the best!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimeMago
New Zealand
Reviewed December 14, 2012

After a month in Cuba we found Playa Del Carmen to be a commercial hell hole with a nice beach... Luckily we found Casa Del Shiva were able to escape the madness!

The property is gorgeous as are the people who run the place. We felt right at home and well looked after the whole time - there is a real family vibe to dinners and this is something special here.

The rooms are huge, as are the beds! We stayed in two different rooms - one upstairs and one downstairs.

The dinners are lovely but we found them to be a bit small and ended up getting snacks later nearby. There is also free breakfast - again small but nice.

There is a kitchen for guest use out in the courtyard, it was clean and reasonably well equipped and there is a supermarket 5 minutes down the road which was very handy.

There are a few random funny things about the place which we can attribute to new ownership, but all outweighed by how lovely everyone is here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 13, 2012

A couple of weeks back I stayed at Casa del Shiva for three nights in a king size en suite room.
The location of this hostel was perfect for me. It's away from the noise and hawkers of the town centre, so it's a lot more chilled out, but to get to the centre of town it's only 5 minutes in a taxi (30pesos), you can take one of the very frequent collectivos (5pesos), use one of the free bicycles and ride there in less than 10 minutes or it's about a twenty minute walk.
Although I was a couple of hours early and my room wasn't quite ready, I was told I could use any of the facilities while I waited.
I took a dip in the pool and watched some TV. Just what I needed after a long day's travel!
The first thing I noticed about this hostel is how clean it was. I've stayed in many others all over the world, and I think this is probably the cleanest I've experienced..
The staff, Siobhan, Jasper, Alberto and Miguel, are warm and friendly and Miguel especially is very knowledgeable about the local area, being a local boy!
A testament to their success is that they've been open less than 12 months, but Siobhan told me that they've taken on the building next door as they need more rooms!
There's a good selection of places to eat locally, although for two out of the three nights I was there I ate Siobhan's home cooked meals. The ceviche and chicken with rice I had were very tasty and good value for 50pesos.
This is also probably the only hostel I've used where I've been offered a choice of cereals and toasties for breakfast, and freshly brewed coffee.
The hostel is well-equipped, with a pool, satellite TV,laundry service, free internet and a couple of large palapas to relax under. One is used for chilling out, and has hammocks and beds, and the other is used for breakfast and dinner.
Overall then, I'd rate this hostel very highly.
It's very clean, the location is great if you don't want the madness of the centre of town on your doorstep, and it's friendly with a nice vibe.
If I'm ever that way again, I'll definitely be staying there.

Room Tip: The upstairs double room has a pool view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights. After travelling for a long time it was a great place to chill out and relax for the three days. We felt very welcomed straight away and they went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect for us. We stayed in the dorm, it was extremely clean and the super comfortable. The hostel was a little bit out of town (only about 5 mins via collectivo) but my friend and I think it was a good thing staying in a nice quieter part of town. It is really easy and quick to go to town (via collectivo) and only costs 5 pesos. Be sure to eat in enjoy dinner one night you are there.. they are really delicious! Thanks for a great stay, I hope to be back in the near future :)

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank lizzie1809
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a really nice hostel 5 minutes by colectivo (30 pesos) from the center of Playa del Carmen, close to some good value/quality local restaurants and food stands and away from all the expensive touristy hotels and restaurants that are crammed into the center close to the beach. It feels safe walking around the area and it's great to be able to eat, travel and live close to local people when staying in such a touristy location.

It's a really attractive, modern house with comfortable common areas inside the property and outside on the patio and by the pool. The rooms are great...ours was huge with an equally spacious shower room and bathroom...and super clean with a very comfortable bed. The price includes a continental breakfast served by the pool.

Siobhan, Jasper and Miguel do everything they can to make your stay at the hostel comfortable, have a massive combined knowledge about the area which they are happy to share with guests, take a pride in ensuring that people staying here have a good time and they work hard keeping the place spotlessly clean.

I"m planning to stay here again in a few weeks time and already looking forward to it. If you are looking for high quality accommodation at a good price and away from the crowds, this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends