“not good”

Ranked #13 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Los Angeles, California
“not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Terrible Resort. A lot of mosquitoes, very dark rooms, no beach view only when you sit at the restaurant. the pathways outside of the rooms are not lit properly. My daughter fell was hurt so bad. Very expensive for the type of room with no ocean view.
Save your money for better hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank A N
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear A N,
I appreciate that you have taken the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I am very sorry that you did not find our resort appealing. We are a small property surrounded by a lush landscape that provides privacy and intimacy to our Villas. Most of our guests are couples that come to celebrate a special occasion. The ambience and lighting has been set up to provide a romantic atmosphere for our guest. We do have Ocean view and beach front villas. I am sorry if due to the high occupancy that we had we were only able to offer you for your first night one villa to accommodate four guests, we did an exception and it was explained before to confirm the reservation. Our concept was not what you were looking for; however, I thank you for sharing your comments.
Pedro Lara
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 12th anniversary here and everything was perfect! From the consistent, but non-intrusive beach service, to the great sunset beach dinner, the food and service we're great. Loved the fresh green juice served every morning, and our private pool and outdoor shower were luxurious. The beach is a little short in both directions, so long walks on the beach are not really the thing here-- or at any of the other resorts-- but for pure relaxation, you can not beat it. Would come back again and again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the private room on the beach, a great pick for privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skil22
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

The was our second trip to this resort, our first being almost six years ago when it was called The Tides and we had a fabulous vacation. While the staff was all different from six years ago, the attention to detail was the same. The food is amazing, the service is fabulous. From your arrival, you are treated like royalty. The Villas are beautiful, private and comfortable. We were in villa 18,and it was the perfect distance from the pool/dining area, and yet not too far away, and very private. They have added about 10 more units since our last visit, but it does not seem too crowded. Everyone was delightful and accommodating. We spoke with other guests while we were there, and would recommend that if you plan to eat at the resort (which we did) to look into the all inclusive plan as meals can be expensive if you pay as you go. It was my husband's birthday while we were there, and they arranged for a lovely private dinner on the beach (it was too windy to be on the pier) and when we returned to our room after dinner, they had lit candles all around the plunge pool and put balloons in our room. We hope to return to this lovely resort in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the resort are quieter, as they don't back up to the hotel next door...
1 Thank nlgittelson
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Just got back from a magnificent 5-night stay at the Viceroy for my anniversary, and was blown away by the experience. The service was beyond superb, and Alberto and Pepe went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we wanted. The Viceroy is really a magnificent place, and I am happy I decided to pull the trigger after hours of searching for the right accommodations online.

ROOM SELECTION:
We stayed in villa 64 (premium villa in the jungle) the first two nights, and and then upgraded to villa 51, which is directly on the beach. If you are looking for a ton of privacy, any of the villas set in the jungle will be perfect for you. They are completely secluded because the back patios are located in the rear of the villas. We were happy to spend the first two nights in #51, and could of happily stayed here for the whole trip. In all honesty, there is not a bad villa on the entire property. You will be thrilled with any of the options. Alberto took me on a tour of the other villas, and villa 51 (one of the beachfront villas) was exceptionally breathtaking. The villa is situated on the beach, set off to the side and raised about 10 ft above the beach, making for a good bit of privacy. There is also a private sun deck right above the beach, with a little staircase that leads down to the sand and the water. This was awesome because you could sit out on the beach and tan, without getting sandy! The views of the water from villa 51 are unbelievable, and it's definitely worth it to splurge and go for the upgrade if you can swing it.

Here are a couple of things I didn't see in the previous reviews:

THE BEACH:
While the beach is slightly rocky directly in front of the resort, if you walk approx, 10 ft past stretch right in front of the hotel, there is a huge, roped-off section that is perfect for swimming & entering the water if you don't want to deal with any rocks. Since the waves were fairly sizable while we were there, we took full advantage of the roped-off section of the beach. Seeing as I am someone who really likes direct access to the beach, the rocks really weren't an issue at all seeing as we were all of 30 steps away from the roped-off section.

THE PLUNGE POOLS:
They are magnificent. One thing that was a great surprise was that they are cool and refreshing during the day while the sun was up, and then the heat is cranked up at night so they are hot as a hot tub for when it got cooler in the evening. Brilliant! We were traveling for our anniversary, and housekeeping decorated the pool with candles and rose petals one night, which was lovely. We spent a lot of time in the plunge pools.

THE FOOD:
Amazing. Both restaurants were top notch. Some things we loved in particular were the lime soup, the sangria, the amazing hot bread that comes with dinner at the Coral Grill and Bar, the huevos rancheros for breakfast. The service is impeccable at both restaurants, and you will be treated like kings and queens.

THE MOSQUITOES:
Depending on the weather, the mosquitoes were either slightly annoying, or completely non-existent. One thing to remember is that the resort is right on the water and fairly windy, so on most days, the wind prevented the mosquitoes from coming out. The hotel provides bug spray for all guests. I normally loathe bug spray (the smell and feeling of it on my skin) but the bug spray they provide smells great, and feels like absolutely nothing is even on your skin. This was a huge bonus.

Book your trip at the Viceroy! You will not be disappointed!

Thanks to the whole staff for a wonderful stay.

-Dana (& Cairo)

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 64 (premium villa in the jungle) the first two nights, and and then upgraded to v...
6 Thank danaviltz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Qe loved this place. The best service we ever had. We particularly apreciate wonderful people like Óscar, chef Ana, Antonio corona, Salvador, marco

You have to really know this place, rooms are beautiful, incredible service

We hope to come back soon

Stephane

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephane21
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This fall, my husband and I spent our honeymoon at Viceroy Maya Riviera. We truly had a thrilling time and definitely plan on returning. Our arrival at this resort was unlike any other -- there was no physical lobby. Most resorts bring you through some type of brick and mortar edifice with all of the traditional trimmings or WALLS. Not here, this resort goes 100% of the way to make you feel like you’re off in a jungle - open-air lobby and all. But do not let that throw you off, it’s really only the beginning of a very romantic and service-focused culture that lets you sit back and luxuriate to whatever extent you would like. Our concierge Alberto was absolutely wonderful; explaining all of our options and confirming (multiple times at my request) all of the pricing for the amenities I pre-selected for our honeymoon. After settling into our private villa we went off to the gorgeous beach. Let me tell you that the private villa is the way to go. Actually, you may be tempted to stay near the beach. I think it’s better to be tucked between the lobby and the beach. We noticed those with the beach villas could see the guests as they passed by. That means they had to see every single person, employee and dog (there are some stray dogs that live along the beach) who passed by at whatever hour. Our villa was tucked away with our private plunge pool, hammock and gorgeous villa. Now if you’re not a big animal fan, this isn’t the place for you. If you love the idea of waking up to little anoles (lizards) running across the patio or hearing a coati run across your villa-top early in the morning, then stay here. It really was cute. Every morning we would try to snap a picture of our coati neighbor. He really wasn’t a bother. I actually got to see one while walking the grounds one day. We also saw one of the spider monkeys on our way back from town. It was such a bonus. As I said, when we got tour villa, we relaxed for a bit and then headed to the beach. It was amazing. Pepe one of the waiters on staff was very attentive. Beware, there are not enough private canopies, so you need to get there early to secure one for the day, but this only matters if you’re like me and prefer not to get tan. Also, beware of those aforementioned stray dogs. They’re actually quite harmless and are very endearing. I warn you not to feed them unless you want a “buddy” for the duration of your lunch. After enjoying the beach we fell asleep early in the wonderful huge bed. Here’s another warning. You may have read in these reviews that there are bugs in this resort. I have an extreme phobia of insects - all insects. I survived and loved this place. Yes, there are little night crawlers that desperately try to get across your bedroom floor in the evening. Just let them be. They move slower than a snail. Otherwise, we didn’t have any issues. The only mosquitoes we dealt with were actually in the city. The resort goes out of their way to make the mosquito situation as minimal as possible. They also go out of their way to live up to their promise of luxury and romance. There was an outdoor private shower with homemade freshly cut soap (they do this upon check-in). I don’t believe we ever used the actual indoor shower while we were there. It was amazing to go from our private plunge pool to being under the stars in the shower to being cozy in our bathrobes just as room service showed up. The empanadas were scrumptious. (I ate them everyday -- seriously!)

If you choose to venture away from the resort, be prepared to shell out at least $20 each way per taxi ride. This was a key learning. When we go back, we will rent a car. It seems to be more economical. The one thing is you may miss out on hiring a personal cab driver who can show you all the ins and outs of the area. We hired a driver for $300 (US and MX) to take us to Coba, 2 local “joints” for breakfast and lunch, the cenotes and Akumal for snorkeling. I don’t think we could have done that A) without the assistance of our wonderful concierge team, B) without one of the trips to Quinta Avenida where we met our wonderful driver. We also wouldn’t have been able to do all of those activities for $300 with a tour group. It was personal and amazing. Definitely go to Akumal for snorkeling. Also, if you go to swim (or dive 20 ft like I did - AMAZING) in the cenotes, make sure you bring a camera that can be used in the water. I took some pictures of one of the cenotes where we would walk around but I didn’t want to risk it in the second location where we swam.

Overall, it was a wonderful honeymoon and was worth what we spent. I really hope to go back someday. Please feel free to email if you have any questions. And thank you to the entire staff at Viceroy. You really created a memorable experience that can never be forgotten and will always be cherished. Mucho gracias!

Room Tip: Villas between the beach and the lobby offer the most privacy. Also, get a villa with a plunge pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PhillySuperstar
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We just spent 4 nights at the Viceroy and had an absolutely amazing experience. I was not hugely familiar with the hotels of the Cancun/Rivera Maya area but the Viceroy is a true gem.
Arrival experience was great, though you do wonder if your driver got lost during the 5 minutes from when you depart the highway until you arrive at the hotel.
Pulling in the outdoor lobby immediately sets the scene for an indulgence in serenity and relaxation.
The staff met us with cold towels and tea then asked us if we would like a tour of the property before being shown our villa which we accepted.
The property is set on what must be 3-4 acres of paths winding from the jungle to the beach.
I did have a first impression that the concrete path’s that lead throughout the resort were not as clean as I would expect from a resort of the Viceroy caliber but as the stay progressed I found the character of the paths enhanced the feel and experience of the property in opposition to my initial reaction.
The villa was truly amazing. It features tons of Privacy with a plunge pool, huge patio/terrace with daybed and dining area and a killer outdoor shower. The villa itself was huge and well, if not luxuriously, appointed. Highlights are the vaulted ceiling with thatched roof and giant sliding doors with heavy wooden shades, probably my favorite room of the year.
The lighting provided a wonderfully romantic atmosphere but you could use a bit more light in the bathroom. Overall I think that while the bathroom was great they could step it up and make it over the top indulgent for an extra wow factor.
We were in the entry level villa and I was led to believe that the bathroom was one of the bigger upgrades as you moved into the higher categories.
Now evening we started our vacation with drinks in the Library, the open air space under the main restaurant. Really cool atmosphere! The entire resort comes alive at night with perfect lighting from the trees to the pool, truly amazing!
We followed up with dinner in the outdoor casual restaurant and the food was phenomenal, as it would prove to be all week. The food prices were very reasonable but I found the wine and beer prices to be excessive during our first day. We were not presented with a list of any wines by the glass and all the bottled wines were very expensive. Likewise the beer list had a ton of interesting and delicious options between $11 and $13. Craft beer is great but sometimes you want something simpler….
Upon inquiry Day 2 we found that they had all these things but that they weren’t listed on the menu which I found frustrating. In the same vein the cocktail list, while not pricy, seemed limited for a resort such as this. The staff was very accommodating and we had some amazing drinks but the style was very much, “We can make whatever you want.” When I come to a resort like this I like to be intrigued by the cocktail list, not have to make up the drinks myself.
The remainder of the stay was wonderful with days spent on the beach and by the pool. Lunch/Drink/Amenity service was always spot on. We spent a day at the Spa and I had an amazing massage in a really cool indoor/outdoor treatment room. We went into Playa one night which was very unimpressive but we didn’t arm ourselves with any info on good places to go so I suppose that’s our own fault.
Overall the Viceroy was an amazing escape I would highly recommend. The only other slightly negative comment I could make would be the sheer number of staff they had! It seemed excessively staffed as they certainly outnumbered the guests and seemed redundant. I know, not a huge complaint, but for a resort of this romantic/relaxing style it would seem better to have half the staff, though I do suppose we were there on kind of a slow week.

Room Tip: While you will pay more for a Premium Oceanside Villa they lack the privacy of the less expensive Ju...
4 Thank bmordski