“EXCEPTIONAL!”

Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We just returned from Viceroy for a quick getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary. It was out of this world. The staff was SO overwhelmingly accomodating, and went out of their way to make our stay wonderful in every way. Special surprises in our room at night, handmade soap and drink upon arrival, very intimate, private, beautiful beach. Food was amazing day and night and the activities were well planned. The weather was great, except for one night, and we didn't even care because the resort and staff and heated plunge pools were incredible! I highly recommend this resort for a romatic getaway, honeymoon, long vacation, etc - - it's one you will not regret! I would advise to get the all inclusive meal plan, a much better deal if you are not going to leave the resort. And definatley have a private meal on the pier, and use the spa!

Room Tip: The oceanfront villas with plunge pools have a great breeze, if you want a more private beachfront v...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim W
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Kim W,
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
Our team have an array of surprises to enhance our guest experience, from the moment that you arrive and feel the “copal” aroma and warm welcome from our Butler, the tour around the property and the many detail that you will be discovering along at Wayak Spa, at the Beach Area and our Restaurants, is the perfect setting to just enjoy and have a wonderful time with your couple. Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your Anniversary and we hope to have you back for your visit… hopefully the 16th Anniversary!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had an amazing stay from Aug 26-Sept 1, 2013! It was for our Honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We were greated by Albuerto Corona, who was extremely professional and courteous. The entire staff was hospitable and willing to go the extra mile. Jose, Pepe, Francisco, Salvador, Polo, and everyone else made our stay wonderful and memorable. The individual bungalos were amazing and set back for unmatched privacy. Don't let the ride in mislead you; once you enter the gates, you are in your own little paradise! The spa treatment was unforgettable and very relaxing. The food was spectacular and the events were pleasant and well planned. I made a request for a special floral

Dear Philip S,
Thank you sharing the comments regarding your recent stay at our jungle refuge. We are very happy to hear the excellent comments regarding our staff. Each one of us is always pending to offer a unique experience to our guests. Our Villas offer not only privacy and spacious areas to relax but also the opportunity to be in a jungle setting just steps from the beach where you can appreciate the nature that surrounds our property. Our Wayak Spa offers a variety of treatments with emphasis in Mayan rituals or perhaps a relaxing massage in one of our jungle cabins.
We look forward to your next stay and thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

As a seasoned traveler of luxury resorts, this by far exceeded my expectations. The service was unbelievable. The staff was literally at our beck and call, going out of their way to cater to us. They were friendly, kind, personable and wonderful. The food was great. We ordered expertly made cocktails and delicious snacks brought right to our beach chairs each afternoon. Once, as I was getting out of the water, a staff member rushed down to the shore to give me a towel. The entire trip was above and beyond. The concierge was helpful and friendly. It was a quiet, casual, very nice resort.

Room Tip: Our room was spacious, clean, and cool. We had a private plunge pool, incense was lit each night, a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear lauren a,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at our jungle refuge. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that our property suited your needs. Being a little bit away from Playa del Carmen, helps us to have the relaxed and quiet atmosphere that our guests enjoy so much. We strive to maintain our resort with a personalized service ready to assist our guest with every need satisfied to enhance their experience. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

i am late writing this review of our stay over labor day weekend (august 30 - september 02, 2013) but i can tell you our experience was top-notch, despite the rain. this was my husband's and my third trip back to this resort because we love it so much. we were eager to share the resort with our friends on this most recent trip.

the service here is so incredible! following are just a few examples: you'll hear mention of the monkeys, "los monos". during our two previous trips we saw no monkeys. this time, as we were being given the initial resort tour with luis, we left a villa (he was showing us one of the newly remodeled villas. gorgeous!) and we briefly caught sight of two, possibly three monkeys overhead. it was very exciting but also very brief. so the next afternoon, my friend and i waited in the same spot for the monkeys to return. the resort concierge, alberto came by and suggested we move to the lobby where they are more likely to be seen crossing onto the property from the surrounding jungle. once we moved to the lobby there the monkeys were! from then on, at his direction, all resort personnel were on high alert to notify us if any monkeys came onto the property.

another example of their incredible personal attention: my friend had their 'pastel aztec' breakfast dish, sort of like a mexican lasagna. it was delicious! she asked if the chef ever gave out recipes because if so, she would love to have the recipe for this dish. (my personal favorite was the chilaquiles. yum! definitely try both dishes. you will not be disappointed.) the very next morning the chef herself came to our table with the typed up recipe, rolled into a scroll and tied with a strip of palm frond. the chef even personally signed the recipe. the dish includes a specific type of mexican chili. knowing it was probably difficult to find in the u.s., the next thing we knew, a server came over to the table with an air-tight, sealed chili pepper for her to take back with her. my friend did not ask for this. this is just the type of personal attention you will find at this resort.

a review of the viceroy would not be complete without mentioning our dear buddy, pepe. he is the most energetic beach butler known to man! he is friendly, courteous, funny and so very attentive. we were but two of how many that pass through the resort in a year's time, but whether or not he actually remembered us from our previous visits, he made us feel as though he did! sure, you can say that is the nature of his job, but you can't fake his type of kindness.

during a past visit in november, while on the welcome tour of the property our host asked if we had ever been to the viceroy before. we stated we had, just a couple of months before and loved it so much that we decided to pop back down again for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. done. period. end of discussion. until later that night when we returned to our villa to find rose petals strewn across our bed in the shape of a heart, lit votive candles on our nightstands, and the lights dimmed. again, this was not something my husband, nor I, had requested. this was just a bit of conversational information they clued in on and decided to do on their own. once again, it is that level of personal attention to detail that makes the viceroy, and its service, remarkable.

here's one more example that has a slightly funny ending. during our november visit, my husband and i had dinner at la marea. i am of a certain age group that requires the assistance of reading glasses in order to read a dinner menu. early in the evening i was presented with a beautiful wooden box which contained four reading glasses, each of a different strength. i was able to select my reading strength and was able to read the menu with ease. i thought that was such a unique amenity. so on this trip with friends, i was so excited to show it to my friends. only this time, the servers seemed not to know what i was talking about. perhaps i made my disappointment too obvious, because soon enough, they returned with the box. i knew it!! the next morning my friend was in the resort boutique and noticed a display of reading glasses behind the sales counter. it is her suspicion that perhaps they no longer keep the box of reading glasses at all but only after i requested them did the servers take it upon themselves to go into the boutique (after hours, mind you) and grab a few sets to make up the selection i was later presented with. talk about customer service!!

if you are looking for a quiet, secluded, luxury resort where your comfort and attention to detail is a priority, then you cannot go wrong by staying at the viceroy. a beautiful, natural jungle setting with excellent amenities and dining service. a resort where your needs are anticipated and you are met at the edge of the pool with a towel. a resort where they leave you with fresh slices of homemade soaps, each one with its own delicious scent. a resort where you are greeted with a friendly smile by every staff member you come across. hoping we'll back again in november for our next anniversary....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ciaran r

Dear ciaran r,
Thank you for your posting such great comments about your experience at Viceroy Riviera Maya. Our settings amongst the trees certainly create a tranquil feeling and provide the unique experience to see the monkeys at the top of the trees. Our natural landscaping provides an ambience where our guests can enjoy the quiet and privacy they are looking for, ideally for couples celebrating any special occasion, anniversary, birthday or just for a getaway. All the staff tries hard to provide a service that will make our guests happy and we are glad that you found them all friendly and helpful. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and would love to host you again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I just returned from 5 nights at the Viceroy and my experience was everything I wanted and then some, even with two days of constant rain. We arrived in the evening and we were escorted through the softly lit maze to our very secluded Villa, #15. (great location) The pool, the room and the outdoor show - perfect. I never once showered inside - even during the rain. How often can you shower surrounded by mother nature with lizards and frogs jumping around - loved it. Unfortunately, never did see or hear a monkey.

We did the all inclusive and it was well worth it. Great selections and the food fresh and creative. The bbq on the beach was nice and relaxing even when a large crab crawled over my foot and my friend swore it was a tarantula - we've been in the city too long. :)

Everyone we encountered was very polite, helpful and friendly that I cannot single out one person as they were all great. Although I will give a shout out to Nori (spelling) in the spa - she gives a wonderful massage. When it rained the second day in a row the spa offered a discount on massages so I booked another one with her. I thought that was great to be offered the discount. Plus when it got a little chilly during lunch one day due to the rain and wind, they made an incredible hot chocolate - I'm still dreaming about it. Oh, and their desserts - homemade vanilla bean icre cream, yum.

If you want to go to a resort that is very quiet, secluded, relaxing not to mention romantic , I highly recommend this place. Fell in love with my man all over again. :) My ONLY complaint.....I love a good Manhattan and they didn't have any bourbon. But, hey I survived.

Room Tip: My recommendation is a room in the middle of the resort - not close to the front desk and not near...

Dear LisaZzanz,
We are grateful for your very positive review and want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Our staff enjoy very much interacting with our guests and strive to provide the best service possible. Our natural surrounding offer the unique opportunity to see iguanas and coconuts, birds and lizards, even crabs that come out at daytime and are all an integral part of the little piece of paradise we call home. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
I promised you in your next visit you will enjoy a great Manhattan…
Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The experience at the Viceroy Riviera Maya can rarely be matched. The hotel itself is built into a jungle that is replete with lush green walkways, waterfalls, beautiful villas (all with their own plunge pool), and a gorgeous beach and restaurant.

While many hotels can boast about beautiful grounds, what sets the Viceroy apart is the service. They are some of the most attentive, friendly, and kind people I have ever come across at a hotel. For example, if you casually mentioned to your waiter bringing you lunch at your chair on the beach that you would be interested in an excursion, the concierge shows up immediately to help you plan your day so you never need to move out of your chair. Anything you need, they are more than willing to help with.

By the end of our short four day stay, we knew everyone's names, which leant a lot of intimacy to the experience. It is hard to say that about many high end resorts/hotels.

And if all of that didn't convince you, each villa (there are no rooms) are massive and have their own patio area and plunge pool. The spa is beautiful. You will never want to go to a big resort ever again.

A big thank you goes to waiters Francisco (Flaco) and the ever-smiling Pepe. The concierge Alberto (Senor Corona) is unmatched. And the helpfulness of the front-office staff with helping us during our stay (including hounding AeroMexico to find our lost luggage) including Sylvia and Natalia was amazing. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 35 is one of the cheaper rooms (where we stayed) but actually offers you the most privacy. But...

Dear Anoush d,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments; we are thrilled that you have enjoyed so much your stay. Our setting and Villas are really unique; you can relax in your private plunge pool, enjoy the outdoor shower or relax in one of our swing beds with an amazing view of the beach.
Our staff is willing to go the extra mile to offer not only a personalized service but being attentive and pleased any request that our guest have, as long as we can improve your experience in any possible way.
We hope that you can give us the opportunity to host you again in your next visit to Riviera Maya.
On behalf of the entire Viceroy Riviera Maya Family, receive warm regards.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights October 2012 for our anniversary and my birthday. The entire experience was wonderful. We were in room 55 which is a beach view room with a plunge pool. The service was five star. Why is it five star? No. 1 No front desk. You drive up and Luis is waiting for you with a drink like he knew you were coming. No. 2 The grounds are beautiful. No.3 The outside shower. No. 4 Room decorated with balloons and a cake as a surprise for my birthday( per my husband and Luis). No. 5 Luis and Pepe who took care of our every need. No.6 The food is great and room service is always available. No.7 Beautiful pool and beach. We loved this hotel and everyone that worked at Viceroy that made this a "5" in our travels and the best of everything .

Room Tip: Room 55. It is soooooooooooooo beautiful. It cost more but it is worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PamAndJoshTravel

Dear PamAndJoshTravel,
We do appreciate your review and thank you for it. It is wonderful that you chose Viceroy Riviera Maya for your Anniversary and your birthday, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. At our jungle refuge you can be as busy or relaxed as you want to be in a very tranquil and beautiful setting. Thank you for sharing your experience and your kind words regarding our staff, we look forward to your next visit.