“By far, the BEST!!”

Ranked #12 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 20, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Our villa was not ready so we changed at the spa and headed to the beach. We never had to leave the beach for any reason. We booked our excursions while enjoying the sun. They arranged everything. The food was excellent! Our personal waiter "Pepe" was by far the best. He was not only our waiter from 9-6 but also our photographer. Got some great pics for great memories! The private villa was awesome. It was our anniversary and after a private dinner on the pier we went back to our villa to find hundreds of rose pedals every where. They even spelled out "I love you" on the bed. We think every married couple should have this great experience. Everything about it was awesome!!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Crystal M
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Crystal M,
Thank you for choosing Viceroy Riviera Maya. We are delighted you enjoy your visit with us! We are extremely proud of our dedicated staff and our guests always rave about their service. We strive to give each of our guests a truly unique experience. Thank you again for your kinds words and visit.
We look forward to host you again.
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I'm so surprised by the recent reviews (the most recent two which seem to be written by the same couple) because we had such a positive experience July 11-14, 2013. We coordinated with the hotel for airport transfer and in both directions the van was waiting for us and courteous. The staff were warm and welcoming and attentive, but not overly so. Victor, the bartender, in particular was great, keeping the pineapple margaritas coming and giving us a great lesson during our mixology class (so much fun!). The food on premise was great, although admittedly quite pricey. We ate in the dining room twice, once for the chef's tasting menu which was great and once off the regular menu. Both experiences were excellent -- food was high quality, service great. When we went off premise one night for dinner, the concierge called us a taxi that arrived promptly. We mostly stayed on property at the pool, relaxing. Pepe, the waiter, was attentive but not annoying. Our villa was private and lush, but it had a musty odor due to the thatch roof (it was not a renovated room). Do not take the villas near the pool if you want privacy -- ours was in the jungle and extremely private. Every member of the staff was accommodating, kind, and eager to please. There are only 41 villas (and several were under construction (see below)) so there aren't that many people around. We often felt like the only people there. We had several spa treatments and found the spa personnel to be professional. The spa is small and not as luxurious as at other resorts, but we were pleased with our treatments. It was a wonderful, romantic vacation and we would definitely go back.

That said, this is not to say that the trip was perfect and there were a few negatives worth mentioning, though they were not enough to ruin our trip or warrant us to not to return. On our first night we had no hot water. We complained and were told it would be fixed, but forgot to check the next day, and thus had to shower again with cold water that night. Complaining again finally brought about a fix. Mosquitos are an issue. The staff provides repellent throughout the property and villas. I brought my own and made a point to use it, and mostly avoided significant attacks although I did get bitten up a bit. This is a jungle, though, so the mosquitos can't be avoided. We didn't have any in our room, though. There was on spider in the bathroom, but other than that, we didn't have an issue with creepy crawlers in our villa.

Also, as others have noted there is construction. They are in the process of renovating the villas a few at a time. If you go -- request a renovated villa and one away from the noise. Our villa had not yet been renovated. While it was nicely appointed, there were heavy rains on our last night and it leaked. Thankfully, the leak was not over our bed so we didn't get wet and neither did our belongings, but it made for a tough night's sleep and left a puddle near an electrical outlet and lamp. When we complained to management, they were extremely apologetic and promptly comped us for that night, which we felt was reasonable (especially considering the hot water issue the first two nights). We understand that things may happen at hotels and resorts -- it is how they respond that is the true test of the property's quality. In this case, they rose to that occasion. And that is why we would go back. I am so surprised by the recent negative feedback.

Overall it was a wonderful, unique, romantic getaway. We can't wait to return . . . albeit in a renovated villa the next time around. . .

Room Tip: Stay away from the villas near the pool and beach if you want privacy -- the ones in the jungle are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank efsilverman

Dear efsilverman,
I really appreciate that you have taken the time to share the comments about your experience at Viceroy Riviera Maya. We try to provide to our guests a wonderful experience from the moment they arrive at our jungle refuge. Our Villas located amidst the vegetation and close to the beach area, offered comfort and amenities enhanced by the service that we provide at the beach and in Coral Grill Restaurant or our fine dining La Marea. Wayak spa offered an array of treatments and services where we surprise you with the use of Mayan techniques or ingredients locally grown in our garden. As you well mention, we are about to finish our renovation project of 5 Villas in three more weeks. We are always in the search to improve our guests experience and is trough your feedback and comments that make us work harder to keep exceeding the guest expectations of our guests.
We look forward to host you in your next trip to Riviera Maya.
Truly Yours,

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ugh, what an experience. I would never stay here again. Do yourself a favor and dont stay here...seriously, dont do it. You can thank me later.

There are several bugs in the villas...cockroaches (big like quarter size), mosquitoes everywhere, spiders, lizards and ants in the bed (two separate villas had ants in the bed...this must be a problem). Yes, I understand, I am in a jungle like setting (however, not really. There are two resorts butted up to each side of this place...so hardly a real jungle), but I DO NOT want cockroaches in my suitcase and ants in the bed. It makes me feel dirty...BLEH!

Palapa roofs are a great thing to look at, but not to stay under in Mexico. They are not sound proof so you get woke up by monkeys on your roof, birds outside, construction going on, people talking in normal voices on the path out front. Also, it is HOT and HUMID in the villas. Our first villa was 77 degrees...the other villa that we switched to was 76. It went down to about 74 at night, but it was never cold in the villa.

Hidden charges everywhere. 11% here 15% there...not to mention the astronomical prices of food. I live downtown Chicago so I understand that there is going to be some inflation, but this place even makes me blush with how much they charge for things...RIDICULOUS. And personally, I would NEVER do the all inclusive here because the food was mediocre at best. You will definitely want to go outside of the resort.

Bothered by Joshua at the pool...he does excursions for the resort. I thought this resort was supposed to be luxury. I dont want to be bothered by a sales pitch while I am relaxing.

The plunge pool wasnt temperature regulated like they said when we arrived. Ours was hot, like bath water despite several calls to the front desk to cool it down.

The TV...where do I begin. There is about 4 channels that work. We are not traditionalist. We like TV and planned on relaxing and watching it, but the only channels that we got were TNT, ABC, MTV, Cinemax...luxury?? I think not.

The bed was comfortable but the pillows were horrendous. And the ants were free of charge.

It was our honeymoon and received nothing for it. I mean, I dont want the sun, moon, and stars but a bottle of wine, an upgrade, a chocolate bar...something???? Nope, nothing.

We were supposed to stay Sun-Sun. On Monday, we wanted to leave due to all of the problems that we encountered. Lucky for us, they wouldnt allow this. So we waited it out until Thursday and called frequently to discuss our concerns...none of which were ever taken care of. Finally, they let us get refunded for the remainder of our stay and we high tailed it out of that place. It felt so good to shower in an AC filled room with no bugs and lots of channels...

They ruined our honeymoon...but on the plus side, we have lots of stories to tell and it was an experience that we will never forget.

10  Thank Sleopold22
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear SLeopold22:
Our first objective is to ensure every guest a truly amazing experience. The great majority of our guests are couples like yourself, here to enjoy a romantic escape. Most are not only “wowed” by their stay, but their reviews reflect their memorable experiences. We hope that guests with questions about our resort will take the time to talk with us before they come. We’ll be happy to answer any question, with the goal of ensuring a perfect fit for all our guests. While we’d like to believe that our intimate resort, focused on authentic jungle luxury, is ideal for everyone, clearly it was not the right choice for you. And for that, we’re very sorry.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am pretty sure that most of the reviews on here are not accurate...we did not get an amazing vibe that everyone else did. I am going to do bullets for all of you that want the quick and easy read and a detailed description after...trust me, you do NOT want to stay here. Take your hard earned money and go elsewhere. This was the worst place I have ever stayed in.

PROS
Good breakfast with lots of options. Good shrimp tacos and the mixed ceviche.

Gave us a partial refund, but our honeymoon was ruined. We called after staying one night and wanted to leave but they would not refund us for the rest of our vacation so we stayed and were miserable until finally half way through they agreed to refund us for the nights that we were not going to stay. We were packed and on our way to the airport in 30 minutes if that tells you anything about how much we disliked this resort.

Comfortable beach and pool chairs. Also, they would always lay a towel out for you.

CONS
Loud-construction going on in the AM, birds squawking early am, monkeys on the roof (the palapas are NOT sound proof). You can hear everything outside the villa...people talking, etc.

BUGS and other things-we had ants in our bed twice...in two different villas (sprayed down the sheets with RAID after changing them). There was a cockroach that was HUGE that came out under my suitcase in the closet. Multiple spiders and mosquitoes. Oh, lets not forget when I went to the bathroom, the lizard that was in the toilet! Yes, in the toilet. I woke up to a moth next to my head. THIS WAS NOT RELAXING or LUXURY! Every second we were wondering if there was going to be something on us. UGH, it was HORRIBLE.

There is an 11% tax and 15% service charge tacked on to everything! I made a nescafe in our room. It was $5 just for a small espresso and on the final bill they did the extra 26% on the coffee that I made myself! Its almost comical. I am not sure who I was paying the service fee to...myself??? Because I was the one that made the coffee.

The food is MEH at best. The burger was not cooked properly and lacked flavor, roast beef was probably the worst sandwich I have ever had, catch of the day was super salty. I could go on and on.

The service is ok. I think that most of the time, they are on top of it...but for a 5 star resort, its definitely lacking. And you have to realize that everything the get for you is getting a 15% tip. It should be better. Pepe was pretty good to us at the pool, but rightfully so because he was making bank on our every order. Room service was inconsistent.

AC not working properly. We had two different villas and both of them were hot and humid with the temperature reading at 75-77. I am sorry, but when we go on vacation, we like it like an ice box in our room. This was not the case. Again, the palapa roof doesnt keep the heat out or the cold in.

Palapa roof-where oh where do I begin. It doesnt keep bugs, noise, or heat out. Monkeys would play on our roof in the early AM and wake us up. Also, you can hear birds, etc at all hours. I know I am in the jungle, but when I am in my room, I want to keep the JUNGLE out of it! This was not the case.

Plunge pool-they said they could regulate the temperature, but needed 3 hours to change it. I called four different times over three days and the temperature never changed...it was like hot bath water...not refreshing.

Sulfur smell-on Wednesday morning it smelled so bad in our villa of sulfur it was disgusting. I am not saying just a small whiff. It filled the room and was hard to breathe! I dont know what happened but it was disgusting.

$30 per snorkel gear to borrow for the day...yup, we asked if they had snorkel gear for us to use and they said that it would be $30 each! The beach is ok. They have a pier so you can avoid most of the rocks in the front of the beach. They also have complementary water shoes you can wear by the beach.

We checked in on Sunday 8/4/13. When we checked in, there were ants in our bed. The staff had to come and change the sheets and then spray the bed down with RAID. Not the best first impression.
Also, the AC wasnt working properly. We called them again and a maintenance person came and told us that the temperature gauge wasnt working properly. Also, that the
villas needed time to cool off.

The next morning, we called Expedia about getting a refund and checking into another
resort. When they talked to the resort, the resort said that they would not refund our money for the stay. They sent a manager to talk to us. The manager offered us to switch villas and a 30 min massage.

When we got back, our new villa was ready. Still the AC wasnt working properly so we called them because it was still reading 77 and it was hot and humid in the villa. They again reassured us that it would take time to cool down.

We were woke up in the morning by the construction going on in the resort that we were unaware of when we booked the resort. There is currently a note on the website, but we received no notification that this would be going on.

On Thursday we woke up with ants and moths in the bed, cockroaches in our
suitcases and in a hot and humid room that was filled with a sulfur smell. We immediately called to talk to management and they said they would get right back to us. When no one did, we called Expedia again. The resort finally agreed to refund us from Thursday-Sunday so we
immediately packed our bags and left. We were unable to check into another hotel due to the short notice and to be honest, we were so sick of unpacking and packing up, we
went straight to the airport.
We were never able to enjoy or relax during our stay at the Viceroy and the entire
time, we just wanted to leave.

We had to change our flights from Sunday to Thursday and spent our honeymoon flying back to Chicago. It was the best decision we ever made...Wanderlust_at_work had a similar experience to us. I felt better when I saw that I wasnt imagining that this resort is CRAP!

9  Thank Aaron M
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Aaron M,
We are very sorry that you didn’t have the experience you expected. From reading your review, I believe that our resort was not the right match for you. We are in a natural jungle environment and our guests not only understand this but look forward to seeing colorful birds and gentle spider monkeys in the trees. Regarding the government taxes and service charges you mentioned, I would like to point out that these are standard at all hotels and resorts in Mexico, and they were outlined in your reservation confirmation letter. The reviews of the Viceroy Riviera Maya are consistently positive and upbeat, so it is especially disconcerting to read one that is not. When a review is posted that is an exception to the rule, it motivates us to work even harder to ensure that every guest enjoys a perfect vacation with us.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Please bare in mind despite what may appear excessive criticism, my overall rating of this hotel is good it was just such a pity about the negative parts. Stayed in August for 6 days with my wife for our honeymoon. I will start with the positives
- Stunning resort – spotlessly clean and well maintained.
- Although I will criticize the staff (see below) they did go out their way to help us on a number of occasions and ALL of them were friendly.
- We were given a free upgrade. The room itself was spacious modern, comfortable beds good facilities, AC, large bed, big plasma, 2 showers comfy robes e.t.c. 9/10
- The hotel was quiet and peaceful but with enough people to give the place some atmosphere (cp to other resort hotels we visited that were overcrowded)
- The manger was incredibly accommodating with an issue we raised 10/10 for conflict resolution.
- Breakfast was excellent- great menu the food was delicious and well presented

I will now turn to some minor issues that were no more than an irritant
- The pool jaccuzi was not working for the entire 6 days we were there
- There were small insects in our bed every night (but thankfully NO mosquitos)
- The TV lacked any decent English channels (HBO wasn’t working). Okay they had a free dvd collection but it wasn’t up to date.
- The place didn’t have that many facilities- e.g. there is only one restaurant. The gym was basic, the shop served no drinks or snacks and there appeared to be nowhere at all to go indoors that was air conditioned.

But putting these aside, my real criticisms were twofold and these are interlinked.
1. I accept that no luxury resort is cheap but I have stayed at many before and still felt the prices at this resort (excluding the room rate which was reasonable) were bordering on the absurd and far exceeded any place I have ever stayed. Some examples. A burger at the poolside bar $39 US dollars including tax. A can of diet coke $15 US dollars. A 2 course surf and turf dinner with 1 beer each came to $260 US. That is insane. I accept that they have an all inclusive option and perhaps this would’ve resolved the problem but still I felt prices were excessive. (cp to Fairmount Mayakoba for instance)
2. This is my biggest issue and I strongly urge you to disregard any efforts by the management to refute or marginalize the below comments. Put simply I am a reasonable guy who also is prepared to spend money but there was overwhelming evidence of this… Under the guise of “being friendly” there were several examples of upselling and exploitative sales practices. I got the impression the staff are told to pressurize their guests into spending money at the resort. Several points this made me feel uncomfortable and frankly felt like I was being taken for a mug. To convince you I will give examples;
(a) My wife and I felt the main pool waiter was exceptionally intrusive always trying to get us to buy poolside drinks/food. On day 2 we were asked no less than 7 times in 45 minutes (6 by the same guy) if we wanted another drink or lunch. “you must be thirsty” I was told on one occasion. It continued throughout our trip and I found it insulting almost like we were made to feel guilty for not buying something- I could not have made it more obvious that I wanted to be left alone but somehow the message seemed lost in translation. (incidentally another guest quite indipendently mentioned this very same issue)
(b) On one evening the waiter at the restaurant blatantly misrepresented that the menu was a 4 course set menu for $80 each- it was not. It was a fixed menu but with absolutely no obligation to order all 4 courses all of which were separately priced when I asked to see the menu (one was not offered to me) this was fairly typical of our experience.
(c) We asked for reception to book the sushi restaurant next door for one evening (the only restaurant not in the hotel that wasn’t a cab ride away) the lady at our reception said they were fully booked all evening but suggested we go to our hotel restaurant that also offers seafood!. We turned up to the sushi restaurant next door anyway and surprise surprise they had lots of tables free. (yes this could have been a misunderstanding but it seemed like we were intentionally lied too at worst or at best no genuine effort was made to get us into the sushi place)
(d) On night one we got the hotel to book us a taxi to the main area in playa. They booked their own hotel taxi (did not mention they were doing this or offer us the street car alternative). True the cab was nicer than the street cabs but at $38 not the $15 the street cabs charge. To be fair they stopped doing this when i asked for only street cabs.
(e) There were lots of other examples of upselling including offering us “a special honeymoon” deal on 2 spa treatments. As it transpired it wasn’t a special deal at all it was pretty much the same deal offered to all of the other guests on that day (20% off) and was nothing to do with our honeymoon it was simply because they had no other bookings that day.
(f) Linked to 1 and 2. Not a SINGLE free bee during the 6 days. No champagne on arrival, no fruit basket in the room, no drinks or cocktails round the pool, nothing free was offered during our stay. (with the exception of a small coconut drink on arrival and yes they do offer the $100 credit to be fair) and also In the spirit of fairness I should mention that a lovely rose petal arrangement was waiting for us on our bed on arrival- but I expected a lot more given the incredible price tag)

So overall it was just about good but I would never return. I suspect with the all inclusive option it would’ve been very good and most of these issues would not have occurred, but, shame on the management for allowing such obvious practices to exist and to pre’empt the management response I accept no defence to points 2(a)- (f). I do accept that a number of other reviews do not share my criticisms which is surprising.

2  Thank eagleeye090

Dear eagleeye090,
We’re pleased that you found our resort “stunning and peaceful,” but were surprised by your objections. As you noted, on the one occasion when you raised a concern, we were “incredibly accommodating,” acting quickly to resolve the issue to your full satisfaction. We’re sorry you didn’t discuss the other matters with us before leaving the resort. When it comes to dining, most guests find our meal plans to be quite a good value, and we highly recommend them. Our staff is more than happy to recommend local restaurants and make reservations for our guests – we do it everyday. But when we’re told by a restaurant that they are fully booked, we must accept their word for it. In your case, we made every effort to suggest an alternative. We regret that our recommendations were rejected. We hope you’ll consider visiting again – and opting for a meal plan to accommodate your dining needs.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a romantic vacation to Viceroy. It was everything and more from what we imagined. The staff was amazing. We have stayed in nice resorts before but never had the service like at Viceroy. The room was great with the large plunge pool and inviting bathroom (both inside and out). The beach was absolutely beautiful. Francisco was the best!!!! He was our beach waiter and attended to each and every need we had. Each of the staff was especially welcoming and knew who we were the entire time. The resort is small, which is why the staff is able to accommodate all requests timely. We had a lot of help with booking excursions through Oscar. You will not be disappointed in staying at Viceroy!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool as possible to maximize the seclusion.
1  Thank howardlawgville

Dear howardlawgville,
On behafl of Viceroy Riviera Maya staff, I thank you for your comments and great opinion about your recent stay at our romantic getaway. We try to make feel our guest at home surrounded by unique natural landscaping, villas offering comfortable amenities and the most important, our staff that care about any request you have.
Our butlers are available to assist you with excursions, dinning reservations, suggestions and anything that you need to enhance your experience at our resort.
We hope to see you back in your next visit.
Your Sincerely,
Pedro Lara,

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I waited a few months to write this review because I was so ANGRY while we were there and upon our return. To say that the Viceroy ruined the end of our honeymoon would only be a slight exaggeration. The staff was friendly enough, but inattentive and generally unhelpful. We stayed in a room that was crawling with insects (although, to be fair, some of the insects couldn't crawl--because they were dead. At the foot of the bed). My husband was afraid to sleep because he was tired of waking up with fresh mosquito bites/worrying about random arachnids. I got tired of returning to our room at night--to find animal poop on our bed. . .

Some complaints: VERY slow service in terms of having any problems addressed (and there were quite a few with our room); slow service in terms of booking tours, etc. (for example, we had to wait nearly an hour for the Concierge, and, by the time he finally arrived--without the necessary information/forms--it was too late to go on any tours that day); slow service in general. (Possibly because there isn't really a Front Desk.) Unjustifiably expensive food at the restaurants; rooms come with a bowl of fruit, but the fruit in our bowl was rotten and covered in fruit flies. Leaky sink, dirty hammock, unkempt "jungle" area outside of our place. Construction work being done all over the place.

The final straw came on our last night, when a rodent crawled into our room through the roof. Look, we had expected a little bit of jungle, but, for what we were paying, and based upon what had been advertised, we hadn't expected to have so much of the jungle in our room. At best, our stay was comical; at worst, downright miserable. And, with so many other resorts in Playa del Carmen, we felt like fools for having chosen--with our travel agent's ignorant blessing--the one that couldn't get its act together.

Good points: the spa, the freshly cut soaps, and the amazing carne asada breakfast. And the money that we got back to make us whole after our unhappy stay.

P.S. After our plane landed back in the States, I checked my e-mail, only to find a message from the Viceroy saying that we owed them $17 for the snacks that they had given us for our van ride to the airport. Not only had they NOT given us snacks for our van ride, but also--REALLY, Viceroy? After what we went through, and after all that we paid even with the discount, you wanted to charge us $17 for snacks? Completely ridiculous.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Wanderlust_at_work
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Wanderlust at Work:
There is nothing more important to us than the experience we create for guests. So we were disheartened to read your comments, but wanted to point out that quick action was taken. It is extremely unusual for any of our four-footed jungle friends to enter a villa, but when one did we moved you to a different villa to ensure your comfort. The email regarding the charge was an appropriate notification that we had inadvertently not included the minibar usage on the final bill. Reviews of the Viceroy Riviera Maya are consistently positive, so when one is posted that is an exception to the rule it only motivates us to work even harder to ensure that every guest enjoys a perfect vacation. We are sincerely sorry you were disappointed, and we are actively investigating the issues you raised. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate how wonderful a stay at the Viceroy can truly be.