My new bride and I recently stayed at the Viceroy Riviera Maya for our honeymoon at the end of March 2013. It was recommended to us by a friend that had recently traveled there, and she had so many wonderful things to say about her time there. It really helped us make the decision since we knew someone who had been to the property 3 or 4 months prior to our trip.
Some of the reviews that I've read indicate how expensive the meals are. We had the all inclusive package, so I cannot speak to the cost of meals. However, the food was excellent; we tried everything on the menu throughout the week. We never became tired of the menu or the food on it. The staff will bring the food to your villa, to your beach chairs, or to the pool if you don't want to eat in the actual restaurant.
The rooms were over the top luxurious; my bride's jaw dropped when she saw our room. We had our own plunge pool, outdoor shower, amazing king sized bed, and separate stand up shower and a separate tub for baths. The first several nights the staff spread rose petals on the floor of the room and made the corny towel animals.
We also enjoyed a couple's massage in the middle of the jungle next to a waterfall, which I will never forget. They have a spa with a whirlpool and steam room that you can use at any time for no charge. They have a fitness facility that was clean and well maintained.
We enjoyed a Ceviche and Tequila tasting with Lulu which was fantastic. Our helper at the beach each day was Pepe (after reading the reviews here, it seems everyone enjoyed him as much as we did). We went snorkeling one day through the guide that the resort recommended, and we felt totally safe leaving and returning to the resort.
The only negative thing that I have to say about the trip was the limit on the all-inclusive package. The beers that were included were only Mexican beers, and there was a reduced selection of red wine. We substituted other options for what we normally would have had, and it was fine in the end.
It was very quiet for our stay. You can hear the breeze blowing throw the jungle, and the temperature was perfect. My wife did get a couple of mosquito bites, but I did not find them to be a significant deterrent to her enjoyment. It was the perfect get away for our honeymoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico