Ahhh, we finally made it back to Viceroy Rivera Maya after a busy year and to visit Tulum for the end of the world watch parties. This time we are visiting after the 2011 renovations were complete and staying in one of the new villas. What is amazing at this Viceroy is the transformational experience after being greeted with a refreshing towel and drink and then escorted to our villa. Our walk immediately transformed us because we traversed a walkway surrounded by jungle vegetation and unique Cenote springs and pools along the way to our villa. During our walk, we immediately forgot we were creatures of the 21st century and began to relax. The approach to our villa still was within the theme. Yet when we entered; Wow, we were both immersed in luxury accommodations but within fantasy jungle surroundings. The new villas are fantastic with a large bathroom area that includes an indoor tub and one indoor and one outdoor shower. (Be sure to ask for the new villas) Our patio included comfortable furniture adjoining our own romantic size pool. Let the relaxation begin after hooking up to the internet of course.
We like the new and or improved dining venues at the resort since our last stay. It was great to see the ocean during all of our meals.
Since we are such foodies, we were looking forward to our meals at the property especially the Street Food night, the Chefs dinner and the Barbeque beach dinner. As usual the food was exceptional. Our meals were memorable especially knowing that “end of the world” was approaching. We loved the fact that the Friday Beach dinner included a “Mayan Fire Dance” group who performed the day before the Mayan calendar end. Please make every effort to ask for the exceptional Mexican wines for your meals because they are great and virtually impossible to find outside of Mexico. Of course we also loved the unique signature drinks of the Viceroy as well.
For our trip to Tulum we asked staff for extra towels and a picnic basket so we could swim at the Tulum beaches. They packed it in our car and off we went for the day. After our long day touring the ruins and beach we returned to Viceroy and immediately began to relax and enjoy a romantic evening.
In fact one day we were so comfortable in our villa that we decided to hang out in it just to take full advantage of our villa and soak in the romantic ambience while we both did a “little work”. We couldn’t help it. We very much enjoyed our day trip to nearby Playa de Carmen for shopping too.
The hotel staff was very attentive and accommodated our requests as you would expect any resort to do.
We highly recommend Viceroy Rivera Maya for a couple who truly desires a unique and memorable romantic setting. We can’t wait to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico