WINNER WONDERLAND

“Honeymoon Paradise - but bring your bug spray!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viceroy Riviera Maya

Ranked #9 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Los Angeles, California
“Honeymoon Paradise - but bring your bug spray!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon week at the Viceroy Riviera Maya in October 2012 and it was beautiful! We wanted seclusion with exotic luxury and I believe we found it! The service was impeccable without being stuffy, there were only 3 or 4 other couples there during part of our week, and the weather was great (considering it was hurricane season.) Hector and Pepe made sure all of our needs and wants were met. Hector even surprised us by calling ahead to another restaurant outside of the resort to make sure they knew we were honeymooning, and they had a special romantic dessert prepared for us!

The accommodations are unique and comfortable, and the food exceptional. HOWEVER, unfortunately I got major mosquito bites that made large bruises all over and took weeks to totally heal. The resort DOES provide bug spray and citronella candles for the rooms, but if you go out of your room in the evening make sure you arm yourself with bugspray.

The only other drawback is that the resort is on a rocky shoreline, so if you are looking to wade in shallow beachy surf with soft sand, you'll have to walk down the beach away from the resort. But we felt the service and accommodations make up for that. We highly recommend the Viceroy for a romantic, intimate getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hllywdgrl70
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Hllywdgrl70,
As you discovered, our resort is an ideal retreat for Honeymooners, with a staff that always goes the extra mile to assure our guests an exceptional experience. Our cuisine receives rave reviews, and we are glad that you enjoyed it.
In a tropical climate like ours, mosquitos can be present depending on the season - which is why we provide candles and spray when necessary, a solution that works well for most guests.
We hope you are busy planning an anniversary visit!
We look foward with pleasure to seeing you again.
With Warm Regards,

Pedro Lara
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this all villa hotel over New Year and apart from the spacious accomodation and friendly service the hotel was poor. The holiday and decor was tired
Food had to be constantly sent back, even boiled eggs which were served almost raw. The housekeeping was inconsistent and the room was left dirty with stale drinking water and only ever partially cleaned, there was no ice and sparse cosmetics There were no cushions for the exterioe sunlongers and chairsThe staff were always prepared to remedy the problems but this involved constast complaining which is not what a holiday is all about Also there was no usable internet in the rooms
This is not a five * hotel more like 3*

Room Tip: Specify newly refurbished(there are only a few)
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robert W
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I chose the Viceroy for the first part of our honeymoon, and overall found the hotel absolutely stunning and the service impeccable. However, I became ill during the trip, and I'm pretty sure it was something I ate one day at breakfast.

First, the good. We stayed in room 63, a MASSIVE jungle villa. It was very romantic and private, had an outdoor shower, an outdoor pool and dining table, a hammock, an oversized king bed, fresh incense and soap, and turn-down service every night. It was probably the nicest place I have ever stayed, and we've stayed at some beautiful places. We did get some mosquito bites, but nothing major. We sprayed ourselves with mosquito lotion whenever we were outside, and that seemed to do the trick.

We made good use of the spa. I had a massage and facial, and my husband had two massages. Although pricey, there are discounts now and then that are advertised in a free newspaper delivered to your room every morning, so there's a chance you'll be able to get discounted services. I think I got 20-25% off of services now and then. It's a gorgeous spa with a steam room and whirlpool, and the ladies who work there are lovely. Definitely book an appointment if you go.

The pool is clean, gorgeous and spacious; the beach is a bit rocky, but you can still swim in the sea if you want.

I know the hotel is adults-only, but there were a lot of teenagers staying at the property when we were there. Sort of surprised by that.

The service was the best we've ever had, especially on the beach. Pepe and Francisco were wonderful, always asking if we needed anything. One night, we were out at the beach bar, and my husband sneezed, and one of the waitresses overheard him, and brought him a box of tissues! They also have people come around to give you cold towels and wipe your sunglasses. They also step aside to let you pass on the walkways, which I guess is a nice gesture, but I found it strange since we're not the king and queen of England.

They also plan different "theme nights" so you can try new food and whatnot. I'm a vegetarian, and I always had something to eat.

We did the all-inclusive package, which seemed like a good idea, until we got sick; after that, we didn't really eat or drink much. The package includes pretty much all drinks and food. It was nice to not have to worry about our spending, since we had paid upfront for the package. We tipped the staff who we felt went above and beyond, but know that you are automatically charged a tip when you dine and so forth. (I can't remember the exact percentage.)

When we first arrived at the resort, I overheard a guest say that she got ill and was worried about being sick on her flight back home. I don't know what her situation was and if she dined at the resort or not, but I remember thinking, "Uh-oh..."

Several days later after eating breakfast, I became very, very, very ill -- the sickest I can ever remember being. I won't go into details, but it was not pretty. I spent two days in our room on our honeymoon, unable to eat or drink much. Then, my husband became sick. He wasn't as sick as me, but he also became ill. Who knows why we got sick or how we got sick, but we made an effort to only drink bottled water, and both of us were healthy until we arrived at the resort. It's also worth mentioning that we didn't leave the resort to dine elsewhere. It was a shame because when we arrived, we were excited to be at such a beautiful hotel on our honeymoon, but after getting sick, we knew we would never return.

Room Tip: Stay in room 63. Private with outdoor rain shower.
3 Thank Littlelotte617
Dear Littlelotte617,
There is nothing more important to us than the health and well being of our guests, and to that end, we practice the highest standards of safety and sanitation in food preparation. In investigating this matter, we found no other reports of illness during your stay, but we're very sorry that your visit was affected by this unfortunate incident.
We hope you'll consider returning to experience the many things that you truly loved about our resorts - from the stunning villas to the impeccable service.
With Warm Regards,

Pedro Lara
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

An excellent hotel albeit in need of a facelift in some of the villa's. Go for a new Jungle Villa, despite no ocean view, they offer more privacy, larger indoor/outdoor space, private plunge pool, however our toilet was a bit smelly and nearly overflowed! The food is very good, but with incl tip and tax not cheap, and town, whilst close, is still a us$20 cab ride each way. Thankfully the resort has its own jetty to get you out into the sea away from the limestone reef on the shoreline. Service is exceptional, but not a cheap resort.

Room Tip: Jungle Villa's
1 Thank Drew M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had read the other reviews and expected paradise. Maybe I'm jaded but for over 12,000 US dollars for 2 villa for 5 nights I really expected a lot. I will say you will not meet a nicer group of people. Everyone was very helpful.
I was a little disappointed. We had request rooms near our children and were placed a oppositeends of the hotels. Though they were pleasant no attempt was made to honor our request. The hotel is built in a jungle setting so be ready to commune with the insects. The water from the taps is not clean so you have to purchase bottled water to drink. They do provide pitchers of water they have purified themselves at the bedside but I expected more for over 1000 dollars a night.. The beach is small but white sand. You can not swim from the beach as the reef extends all the way to the shore. You need to walk about 100 feet down the beach to find a swimming area from the beach. They do provide a dock from the beach you can walk down and enter the water.
Right next to the hotel is a rather lower budget hotel with a loud disco that plays until late in the evening.
There are two restaurants. I am a bit of a food snob being from NYC and was pretty unimpressed with the food and again it was pretty expensive ie over 350 for a dinner for 4, 150 for breakfast for 4.
I would recommend this hotel in the lower price season but I don't think it is worth it in peak season.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the beach or near the spa. It is a long walk to the beach and restaurant if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank jej9001
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

In a word - excellent. We spent the first few days of our honeymoon at the Viceroy and loved it.

Its fairly boutique and the beach setting is perfect. There are 2 restaurants, both excellent. Staff are extremely friendly and very attentive.

Whilst the price is not low the experience is top shelf and exudes a certain effortless luxury.

You'll need to take a cab/car to town. But seriously you won't want to leave this little sanctuary.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Christian G
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed in one of the beautiful villas with a partial ocean view and every morning it was like waking up in a dream. The staff were wonderful, the food was excellent, the jungle setting is unique, and the location is perfect! Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are both so close allowing for a number of great local activities. With a private pier that juts into the ocean, perfect for a late night swim or a romantic time watching sunset, Viceroy Riviera Maya clearly stands out among the rest. The pool is beautiful as well, with a phenomenal ocean view that makes you feel like you're sitting on the horizon. The staff is truly what sets this place apart. Hector was phenomenal and took care of us every step of the way, Fausto was a great bartender to share stories and laughter with at night, but EVERY single person there was a pleasure! And you must try one of the outdoor spa treatments! What a delight!

1 Thank nrg04