“luxury in the jungle”

Ranked #13 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
“luxury in the jungle”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

magic in the rainforest would be the best way to describe this hotel.
my favorite place at the hotel was my outdoor shower....the hotel is primitive in the
most luxurious way. you really feel that you are a thousand miles away but every amenity
you can imagine is there.
food was delicious and the service is very attentive. I would go back again and again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Fran H,

Thank your positive feedback. I really appreciate that you have enjoyed so much the outdoor shower as well as our amenities and especially our food. I will pass on to all our staff your comments about it. It is always very rewarding for us to know that our guest leave with such satisfaction and good memories not only about the service but enjoying every single aspect of our jungle refuge.
We look forward to host you again in the near future.

Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was my third visit and second stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya. The recent villa additions are stunning. They have beautiful large bathtubs, great ocean views, coffee makers, Bose docking stations and outdoor showers. They also let in more natural light than the original villas and have fantastic patios with large plunge pools. Most of the original villas have added a wooden sun deck with double chaise lounges to go along with the more secluded and large private patio plunge pools and outdoor showers. I can't say enough about the excellent service from check-in to housekeeping to restaurant/bar and pool/beach staff, spa and management. The maintenance and gardening staff even stopped to smile and greet you as you walked the property down the beautifully manicured jungle paths. What a great place to unwind, relax, enjoy spa treatments and the beautiful blue/green water and white sand beaches. The food is creative and well prepared. I loved the pineapple cilantro margaritas, wide variety of local beers, cigar collection and fine tequila choices. This was a great relaxing adult vacation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David N
Dallas
Reviewed May 21, 2012

From the Airport pick up to the Zen feel of the spa this property is outstanding.
The additions and updates make this one of the nicest resorts that I have ever stayed in.
Without question I look forward coming back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JoshWhitaker
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear JoshWhitaker,
I am really glad that you had an opportunity to see by yourself our updates and renovation that we have done. Is very gratifying to hear your comments and I will share with all the team your valuable feedback.
I look forward to see you again very soon.

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I spent six nights on our honeymoon at the Viceroy Riviera Maya (then The Tides) in April 2011. We enjoyed our trip so much that we decided to return one year later and spent another six nights there this May.

We had stayed in Villa 36 which was tucked well away from the beach on our previous visit; however, this year we were in Villa 11 only steps from the beach.

This was a plus as we spent much of the visit under the palapa on the beach attended to by friends old and new. From the cold towels, to cleaning your sunglasses, to the iced coffee shooters, to the frozen fruit, details are the key to the service at the Viceroy.

We appreciate the potential for the trip to be as activity-filled or as relaxing and quiet as we want it to be. We took day trips to Cozumel and Akumal Bay and took two opportunities each to enjoy the spa. The massages that I have had there rival or beat those I have had at any high-end spa from Miami to LA to SF to Vegas and the staff (Cinthya and Ricardo) is great at recommending the right treatment at the right time.

We dined at both the Coral Grill and La Marea and experienced the antojeria and the beach bbq. The bbq is a must-do as dining on the beach by torch light is not an everyday occurrence. Pepe, Fernando, Yascara, Emilio, and Carlos gave great advice on our food and provided excellent service. By the end of our trip, we felt like we had made friends with many of the team there and were sad to leave. We will certainly be back.

Jonathan and Lindsay

1 Thank jmhutner
Dear Jonathan and Lindsay,
I thank you sharing your comments about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
It is such a pleasure to hear that you really enjoy our romantic getaway.
We had a variety of options and activities to do regardless of the weather and the fact that you have had the time to take advantage of these and combined them with our spa complement really well a very romantic stay.
Our theme nights have been an option to showcase not only our “street food” but to take an opportunity to show the diversity and richness of it that is hard to find in only one spot.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback and for being one of our frequent guest. I look forward to see you next year or even before if you have an opportunity.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have been to this amazing hotel twice already. I love it so much, I am going back in August for a third time. Even with all the places in the world I could go -- and I have traveled my whole life; Been everywhere multiple times -- there is nowhere I feel more relaxed and pampered than the Viceroy Maya Riviera.

The fact that it is only 40 villas, that no kids are allowed under 15, that the spot is lush and jungle like so that sometimes you feel like you are literally the only person at the hotel. . . all these things add up to 100% relaxation.

I love that this hotel does not try to be something it is not. It is luxurious and beautiful but also feels local. There is nothing worse than going to some non descript Ritz Carleton Hotel with all its faux fanciness and you could be anywhere in the world because it does not adopt the local architecture and culture. Viceroy Maya Riviera is the opposite.

The beds are heavenly, the ocean water like a bathtub, the shrimp tacos the best thing ever. But what sets this place apart is its service. Been all over, stayed in the best hotels, but this is top 5 service I have ever experienced. just fantastic. Whatever you need, they are there.

I made the mistake of leaving the hotel for dinners and such the first trip. Never again. I arrive and I do not leave. And 7 days later, I feel like a whole new person. For those with a go go lifestyle, this place really does allows you to slow down, rest, recharge, and find yourself.

Enjoy. I will be back in August again to enjoy myself!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zac E
Dear Zac E,
I appreciate your feedback about our jungle retreat.
Personally, I am very happy that you have enjoyed so much your last trip, it is very rewarding for all of us to know about your comments and personal experience.
Our staff is always very receptive to hear from our repeat guests, looking always for a way to improve.
I am sure that you will have a great stay for this upcoming trip in August and if there is anything that we can do to accomplish that, please let us know.

New York City
Reviewed May 12, 2012

It's not often that my girlfriend and I get a chance to get a true beach vacation, so it goes without saying that we had high expectations for the Viceroy Riveria Maya. After spending five days at the resort this spring, we couldn't be happier with our experience.

The Riviera Maya property is undeniably beautiful with a secluded rain forest like atmosphere. The staff is attentive and is responsive to every requests and goes out of your way to make you feel welcome. The property is small consisting of only several dozen villas, so over crowding is not at all a factor. We had all of our meals at the various restaurants on the property as we didn't feel the need to ever leave, though you can always hop a cab into town for some local flavor. The food at VRM was excellent and high quality. We asked for some regional dishes and the kitchens were more than happy to accomodate our requests. Granted, the food was not cheap, but it was not unreasonable either; to us it was worth paying a bit more for the quality.

The VRM is especially relaxing because of it's relatively small size. We never saw a crowd, had a problem getting our preferred beach cabana or getting seats at the restaurant. After a day we could walk to the bar and the bartenders knew what we wanted to drink. We experienced attentive service at all times, something that definitely added to the enjoyment of our trip.

Other thoughts:
-Pool and a beach
-Easy to get to from Cancun airport
-Very clean with frequent housekeeping
-Monkeys on the property (seriously)
-Private
-Nice gym
-Outdoor showers

Room Tip: Some of the ocean view villas are close to the pool and are less private. Also, the property next do...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank acontinuouslean
Dear MW362797,
I appreciate your comments about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
I really think that VRM is a complement for couples seeking not only for privacy and intimacy but also for an excellent service, and in your case I am very happy that you have found it.
Our serene hideaway offers luxury amenities and quality services that are distinctive to our guests.
I hope that you continue giving us the opportunity to remain at the top in your choice of accommodation for your next visit at the Riviera Maya.
Best regards,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We just finished a 5 night stay for our Honeymoon and had the most amazing experience at Viceroy Riviera Maya. Oscar and Victor were incredibly attentive and made sure to keep us relaxed and at ease the entire week. The luxury villa's are so private and spacious they made you feel like you were on a deserted island (except with gourmet dining!). I cant say enough good things about our experience at this resort. We went into town a few times and walked the beach to check out the other "luxury" resorts and couldnt wait to get back to our friendly and private oasis at the Viceroy. If you want 5-start service, clean spacious beautiful rooms and amenities then book your trip here now before everyone else discovers it!

Greg M

Room Tip: Make sure to request a villa with private plunge pool, a few of the villa's face the resort pool...
2 Thank greg m
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Greg M,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya. I am really glad to read that our staff was great and that you really enjoyed your stay with us as it is our goal to deliver a consistent luxury experience for you and our future guests.

It would be a pleasure to receive you and your friends again in your next visit to Riviera Maya… of course at our secluded and romantic getaway!