“Love this place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Paraiso Azul's -Casa De Gopala
Ranked #152 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here and dived with Yukatek divers adjacent to the hotel. So easy and fun! The hotel is hidden and quiet right in the middle of town. I loved the pool on the roof top and a view to die for. We could see Cozumel, the beach and the town of Playa del Carmen. The staff is terrific. Very helpful. Erasmo you were super! And Carlos very nice. I fell in love with the decor and the jungle like plants. Can't wait to return, I miss this place already!

Room Tip: I got to see all the rooms while I was there and they all seem great. My friend and I like to eat i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sheenah10

Reviewed August 24, 2012

conveniently located near attractions, shopping, local restaurants, and beach Good food all around. Hot top on top floor, with seating area for having a brew or snacks. Towels and linen changed everyday. Showers are large with good water pressure. Breakfast was included in our package choice of eggs , hot cakes, fruit plate and good coffee

Room Tip: You can choose your room based on price and air conditioning. Large room with fridge, lots of room f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed at the Casa De Gopala as it was nearby to the dive shop I was diving with. This is very average accommodation. The fittings in the room were aged and the bed and shower were also aged and average. Not bad as backpacker accommodation but considering the other accommodation in the area I think better can be had.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank motorbike58
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My dive buddy and I stayed at Casa De Gopala this past January for a week and we were very well treated. It is perfectly located on a quiet street only a five minute walk to the beach and the commercialized Avenue Five tourist strip. Our room was cleaned and the linen changed every day and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. There is an 'old world' ambience at this hotel that I've never found at glitzier upscale resorts; the rooms are arranged ijn a "U" around a verdant, almost overgrown garden that reminded me of being in a jungle. We were awakened in the morning by cooing doves. There are many inexpensive restaurants and markets within easy walking distance. The atmosphere is more international than American; we hung out with a couple of Germans and a Russian, as well as a few Americans. The staff of the dive center next door, Yucatek Divers, come from Germany, France, Italy, America, and Switzerland, but they all speak English and will help you find anything you need. When I return to this part of Mexico, I will definitely stay at Casa De Gopala.

Room Tip: If you are a snorkeler or scuba diver, be sure to ask about stay/dive packages. You can check out my...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom A
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We were a bit worried that we might not like the location being not directly at the beach but looking back we can say it was perfect.

It's quite small but lovely, there is a jungle garden you walk through when going to your room. We had room 10 which was on the 2nd floor - only the roof with the nice pool on top. The room was basic but Mexican so we liked it. The windows cannot be fully closed (Mexican builing style I guess) so it was a bit noisy some nights with the neighbour's dog or birds nearby.
The ladies who cleaned our room every day were very innovative with the towels, creating stuff like elephants and scorpions. The guys at the reception were very helpful, pointed out good restaurants and gave us a map of Playa del Carmen although it's very easy after one or two days to find places.

We chose this hotel as we were there for diving and it's close to Yucatek Divers which was one of the best dive centers we have experienced so far.

The hotel does not have a restaurant but there is no need as it is so much fun to go to other restaurants every day (I have written reviews for quite a few as well).

We also booked tours from the hotel, the Chichen Itza Tour was great, but the Jeep Safari to National Park Sian Kaan was not really worth the money. There are also buses (ADO) which you can use easily to go to Tulum or Cobà on your own - very well organized!

If we are ever going back to PdC we will definitely go back to Paraiso Azul.

Room Tip: Room 10 was great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tina_ZH
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Only stayed one nite this year as it was booked solid, and the price has gone up now that scuba divers have discovered it. They have a rarity here: 2 pools, one of which is very deep-great for scuba certification, and another on the rooftop. Last year we paid $600 pesos/nite and this year we couldn't get a room for less than 800-1000, which is still good value, just a bit out of our price range. Rosario at the front desk is still the helpful friendly and efficient guy. He did everything he could to get us a room in our price range so no fault here, that is the price of success. We met the owners who also seemed like great guys. This is our first choice for hotels in downtown Playa-we joked with Rosario that we should write a lousy review so their prices would go down and we could get a room!
See my review from Feb28,2011 for more details as everything in it still applies, except for the noisy dog next door-he was not an issue this year.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with narrow spiral staircases, get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2012

This was my third time staying at Paraiso Azul and once again, it was a great stay. The familiar faces make it feel like home; which, in such a touristy area, is no easy feat. The rooms are quiet, spacious and very clean; if you prefer cool and shady, the first floor is a great option. The higher up you go, the more light and warmth there is. It is a little bit of jungle by the ocean! Then, on the top floor, is a pool and a nice view. Perfect for days when the surf is too rough.

Each room that I've stayed in had a safety deposit box and a refrigerator - both very nice amenities. I love the location - just off the main drag, two blocks from the gorgeous beach and La Tarraya (great restaurant right on the beach shaded with Palm trees), and close to the bus station for day trips to Cancun or Tulum.

The front desk folks, who speak English, are always helpful and friendly. Another plus is that it is connected to the hotel next door (which has a good restaurant) and Yucatek dive shop. My boyfriend loves to dive and raved about his trips both in the cenotes and in the ocean. One time I stayed here while travelling alone and felt very safe and comfortable. Can't wait to go back! Muchisimas gracias a todos!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple