“Gunter was great!”
Review of Dive Balam

Dive Balam
More attraction details
Owner description: The dive shop located inside of the resort Royal Haciendas, only 10 minutes away from Playa del Carmen. We offer our service from courses up to tours in crystal clear Cenotes. We offer PADI, TDI, NACD training from entry level, PADI Open Water Diver right through to dive master training and specialties! Our goal is to maintain the highest level of quality and service while making your safety our top priority. We leave from the beach of the Royal Haciendas resort which is the best location in the Riviera Maya. We have the world's second biggest reef right in front of us. Come join us as we dive in the turquoise ocean and have the experience of a lifetime.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

At The Royal Haciendas 3/22 to 3/28. Weather was poor for diving but first local dive day w/ Gunter was great. Second day at Cnotes w/ Gunter was also great. I would have given dive balam 5 stars if it were not for the third day. Dive Balam dive master - Cher - was terrible. The conditions were tough (strong current and murky water)...however I have dove in difficult conditions before and a good DM can make it SO much more doable. Some basic things like meeting and descending along anchor line would have made a HUGE difference. Cher just lead us out into the ocean (while the current was pulling us WAY off the reef) and told us..."lets meet on the bottom". In the meantime 3 of us had weight belt problems and couldn't descend at all!!! Once we did get to the bottom we literally sat in sand for 9 minutes while the other DM (with his group of 4 divers) took care of one of his divers having difficulty. Then the 2 groups swam their way to the reef. It took exactly 24 minutes of dive time before I ever saw the reef. My PSI was about 1700. Then because Cher never got the diver's weight belt situations corrected while at the surface...when we tried to perform a safety stop 3 of us could not hold at 15 feet! So much for safety.

I understand that no one can control the weather and dive conditions. I would never criticize a dive company based on dive conditions. However I have found that ANY dive company can "look good" in perfect conditions. What makes a good company into a GREAT company is when they hire DM's who know how to take difficult dive situations...and make them less difficult. Cher did not do that. She was almost NO help at all.

There are newer reviews for Dive Balam

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Dive Balam is truly the best dive company I have ever been with. They are truly professional and provide exceptional service to all divers, no matter your dive level or experience. Their concern for your safety is number 1 and their guided dives are exceptional. They even can take you directly to Cozumel from The Royal Haciendas saving all the hassles of years past. What a joy that is. I was certified by them 7 years ago and even had my daughter do her first dive with them -- a Discovery dive. If you are ever considering getting scuba certified, this is the group to do it with! Marcos and his team of professionals are the best around and they even have the best Captain in the Riviera Maya -- Santiago! They are First Class! None better! You can dive with complete confidence with Dive Balam!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Dive Balam was the best experience I had while in Playa and Riviera Maya. I got my PADI Open Water Diver certification while in Playa del Carmen at Dive Balam. I did my open water dives AND a NIGHT DIVE! It was incredible! The crew was patient, professional, experienced and FRIENDLY! I can't say enough good things about the whole experience. The dive shop is located at Royal Haciendas, an all inclusive resort. What a beautiful property.
The boats are in excellent condition, and the captains are top notch. The crew takes extremely good care of the clients. They have everything set up, all you have to do is DIVE! The whole Dive Balam family takes great pride in what they do and it shows. Thanks Dive Balam, I can't wait to dive with you guys again!
Bret

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wrapping up another vacation here at the Royal Hacienda, just a few minutes north of Playa del Carmen, and wanted to spread the good word about Dive Balam, the on-site dive operator here.

I've been diving with them since they began operations here at the Royal Hacienda, and can honestly say I've never encountered another dive operator that offers the quality of services, professionalism, regard for safety, choice of outstanding dive sites, and just plain FUN!

Dive Balam is one of the best things the Royal Hacienda has going, and they are very priveldged to have them at their resort.

Look no further than Dive Balam if you wish to have a truly memorable experience with some genuinely fine people.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

First class all the way! Courteous staff, expert dive masters and guides, great equipment, excellent dive sites. I will definitely be back!