“Great location, wonderful service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels

Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Philadelphia
“Great location, wonderful service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

We felt welcome from the minute we walked into Hacienda Paradise. The transition from 20 degree weather in Philadelphia to 85 degree weather in Playa del Carmen was not easy. By the time we dragged our suitcases into the lobby of Hacienda Paradise, we were sweating up a storm. I just began to tell Leon at reception that we had a reservation, when he asked, "Would you like a cold drink?" Leon promptly reached into the fridge and poured us each an ice cold orange drink. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Clearly, our comfort was Leon's first priority. The business transaction of check-in could wait. This delightful first encounter set the tone for the rest of our four night stay at Hacienda Paradise.

The hotel features a delicious and varied breakfast buffet each morning, which included fresh cut fruit, yogurt, choice of granolas, a variety of baked goods, cold cuts, cheese, a selection of hot items that changed daily such as scrambled eggs with ham, huevos rancheros, french toast, pancakes, etc. There was also orange or pineapple juice, coffee and tea, plus the staff could make cappuccino, espresso and other beverages to order. My reason for detailing the breakfast offerings is to respond, in a way, to the comment from the Winnipeg travelers that the breakfast was "alright, but nothing to write home about." To the contrary, breakfast at Hacienda Paradise was fresh, varied and excellent. Moreover, lingering over coffee is encouraged and the guests never feel pressured to "turn the table."

Unlimited free high-speed internet access is available at two terminals in the lobby - a rare feature at a Riviera Maya resort. The front desk staff is always available to provide information about restaurants and attractions. Need laundry service? No problem. Drop off the laundry in the morning and the clean clothes will be delivered to your room later the same day - and at a very reasonable price.

We found that the front desk staff quickly got to know us and greeted us warmly not only in the hotel, but also when crossing paths in town.

Rooms were impeccably clean and comfortable. Each room has either a balcony or terrace facing the central courtyard, pool and restaurant. The large sliders make the room bright.

The hotel is well located. Nearly everything you could want - the beach, fine restaurants, shops, banks and services - are all within easy walking distance of Hacienda Paradise.

We will be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hacienda from Feb 6-9th. The staff was very friendly. We had a room on the 2nd Floor and they helped carry our luggage to the room. The room had a king size bed and a balcony over looking the pool and court yard area. The bed was very comfortable. There was a bit of strange noise coming from the air conditioner but it was tolerable. Our room faced 22nd Street and there was no real problem with noise. The breakfast everyday was good but not amazing. For free I think it was better than most. The concierge was also very nice and helpful. We did receive the free passes for Mamitas beach club. We went there on our first day and it was very, very crowded. There are people everywhere, including lots of locals. The next day we went back to Mamitas but this time we paid to rent a beach bed which was fantastic and worth every penny! The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the beach, as others have described. 5th Avenue is just seconds from the front door which was great. The lobby of the hotel has 2 computers with free internet as well as filtered water, tea, coffee, and cookies 24 hours a day. At night there is security in the lobby.

Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Stayed 2/5 - 2/9 on the discounted plan that allowed the hotel to move you to a different room. Was informed we would need to move on Sunday, and did so seamlessly. Next day at 11:40 a.m. was informed that we had to move that day as well. Unfortunately the nice person at the desk's english was worse then my Spanish, and after asking to speak to someone with better English, he got back on the line and the miscommunication continued. I would have been fine with the extra move it I had had some notice, but felt rushed. That was probably the only major negative.

1st three nights our room faced 10 Ave which has a lot of traffic all night. Keeping the air-conditioner/fan blocked the noise satisfactorily, but in one room there for whatever reason did not have it set so after the a/c turned off there was a lot of noise. The rooms facing 22nd are much quieter. Heard very little construction noise from the adjoining hotel/nascent nightclub (which may or may not have been open, unclear to me).

Really pretty pool/courtyard area. Breakfast was good, though would have liked to see a little more variation in meat products.

Wifi worked like a charm. The rooms have high ceilings, really nice furniture and the mattresses in all three rooms were great. TV is the standard cable available in the area.

Hotel is a block away from great restaurants/bars on 5th ave. Beach is a bit of a walk, either to Mamitas on one side or to the area between the piers on the other side. I do not mind walking so that was not a problem.

If you are looking for value and don't mind being off the beach, this is a great hotel.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

All the staff were very friendly and always wanted to help. We rented the hotel van a couple of times with the driver, Nabor and he was great! Our rooms were cleaned well and the washrooms near the front desk and restaurant were always clean. It was nice to be so close to 5th ave. However the noise from 10th ave was a bit loud at night from the traffic but I got used to it. You may want to request a room that your door faces 22nd street if you are a light sleeper. The beach club is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. The beach club was included in our rooms however if you aren't at the beach by 9 a.m. you won't get a umbrella. The pool is not heated but most of us went in anyways as the weather was hot. Just so you know the hotel only accepts credit cards and cash, NO travellers cheques. FYI the Walmart & MegaMart do not take American Express US funds travellers cheques either as they did a few years back. You can cash them with proper ID for pesos at the Scotia Bank which is only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel is very quiet which was good for us but the young people in our group would prefer it to be more lively. Hope some of the comments help you for your trip.

San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I returned from a 10 night stay in Playa del Carmen and had the time of our lives. We stayed at 2 hotels: the less expensive Hotel Hacienda Paradise and Secrets Maroma Beach (which I will review separately).

Our idea was to book a less expensive, clean hotel, preferably offering at least breakfast for the first part of the trip so we could spend most of the day outside the hotel sightseeing, shopping, dining out and going on tours to the ruins and ecological parks. We didn't see the point in spending hundreds of dollars per day if we wouldn't be at the hotel most of the day. We just wanted a place to eat breakfast before starting the day, shower and sleep.
Hotel Hacienda Paradise more than met our expectations for this purpose.
Pro's:
1. Hacienda style breakfast every morning included in the daily rate, it offered more options than a continental breakfast and there were different things every day: scrambled eggs (prepared differently every day), toast, yogurt with granola, cereal assortment, mexican specialties, cold cuts and pastries. It was pretty good, nothing amazing.
2. Staff was friendly and helpful, always a plus!
3. Location- for us it was a good location because it was right next to Quinta Avenida, but not on it which would have been too noisy. We walked everywhere and it was very doable (believe me I'm lazy!). There's a large supermarket, lots of restaurants and shops, even a Wal-mart nearby.
4. Rooms, hotel lobby-The hotel itself is lovely, nicely decorated. It was noisy in the early evening but by bedtime it had quieted down and the noise was not a problem. The A/C temperature cannot be controlled so if you like for it be very cool ,it's not gonna happen.
5. Value for your money, you get what you pain for and I thought it was more than fair.
Cons:
1. Breakfast was served at 7:30 at the earliest, which is fine, however most of the tour buses leave at 7:45 to 8 am , leaving you little time to have breakfast. This is minor but it was inconvenient for us.
2. Pool- It's small and kept clean, but the main issue is that it's in a very shaded area so the water is very cold. I did not see anyone get in the pool the whole time I was there (My husband and I never used it).
3. Cleanliness- The hotel and rooms were kept clean, however there were stains on the bedspreads and in the shower, which was very unappealing.
4. Beds/mattresses- These were on the hard side, not very comfortable to be honest.
5. Beach- Is not that close and not that impressive, we didn't care to much about this since we were staying at Secrets later on which has an amazing beach. However if this is the only hotel you're staying out and the beach is one the main reasons you're coming to Playa this is something to think about.

Overall I think the good outweighed the bad and I would return to this hotel and recommend it to a friend for the same purpose we used it.

Feel free to contact me with questions

1 Thank GGRIRL
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel for the Christmas/NYE holiday 2009/2010. Overall, the hotel wasn't bad, per se, but the vacation experience wasn't nearly as relaxing as we had hoped it would be. If you are planning on traveling to Playa del Carmen generally, and this hotel specifically, with small children, here are some personal observations that you may find helpful:

1. Playa del Carmen isn't very kid friendly. The only reason I even looked at traveling to this beach destination in Mexico is because it was so highly rated as a family destination in Trip Advisors "Trip Ideas" drop down on the main webpage. This region of the Mexican Riviera has many shops, bars and restaurants along the Avenida Qince (5th Avenue), which are great if you are traveling with teenagers or as a couple, but not really for younger children. Also, the main beach for the area is at least 6 blocks away from the hotel, which was quite a walk with little ones especially after a long day of playing in the waves. We didn't pack a stroller because we had so much other luggage, so it was a very long week of lugging around 3 yr old little boys! The beach itself is rather small and quickly becomes crowded. The vibe there was more like a night club, with loud music and people partying. Once again, I'm fine with this on my own and think that teens would love it, but it just isn't ideal for little ones. Finally, the beach club with which the hotel is affiliated, Mamasitas, was very frustrating. We booked the Master Suite at Hacienda Paradise, which came with access to the beach club. As such, we were given vouchers and towels on a daily basis. Nevertheless, when we arrived at the beach club each day, it was a huge hassle to secure our seats and umbrella, with even more headache when we tried to order food or drinks. This area of Mexico seems very popular with the locals, which was actually one of the reasons I was excited to go there, but that fact worked against us at the beach club, where we were treated like the less important guests. Overall, I would not recommend Playa del Carmen - at least outside of a non-inclusive - for a family traveling with small children.

2. The hotel itself was charming, but overall average - As I mentioned above, we booked the Master Suite for a week, which was great because it gave us some privacy when traveling with our little ones. The main room had a fold out couch/futon type bed that worked perfectly for our boys. They had a big flat screen tv and dvd player to watch all of their favorite videos, which was perfect. I thought that the a/c worked fine and didn't really have a problem with ambient noise, even though we were there during a very busy time. The Master Suite also has an in-room laptop, which was a little tough to figure out at first but overall very convenient. The included breakfast was pretty good - not the best I've ever had, but certainly not the worst. The staff was genuinely friendly and the room was well cared for, with the housekeeping staff even decorating the room with balloons for the boys on NYE, which was a nice touch. The pool was very small and completely blocked from the sun due to its interior location, so we never stayed there instead opting daily for the trek down to the beach. It would have been nice to have the pool as an option.

3. If you do go with little ones, don't miss Dolphin Discovery! We booked a day trip there through the hotel and it was definitely the highlight of our visit. The kids asked to go back each day thereafter.

Overall, I think my reservations about recommending this hotel have more to do with my disappointment in Playa del Carmen as a kid friendly destination than the hotel itself. Either way, I just didn't think that this venue had enough going for it to make it truly memorable. Even if I did go back to Playa, I would want to stay elsewhere as there were many hotels and condos closer to the beach than this one.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank VegasPisces
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

We recently stayed at the Hacienda Paradise and booked the Xperience package that is promoted on the hotel's website. Do note that if you book the Xperience package you may be asked to change rooms during your stay. We were lucky enough not to have to move.

The rooms are modern and spacious with the bed being the most comfortable we ever had in Mexico. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, which was buffet style and included fruit salad, eggs, hot cakes, yogurt, juice, etc. The beach towels were also a nice touch. We did have free pass to the beach club, but we chose not to use the beach club as the drink prices can be rather expensive. There are cheaper places to drink and relax on the beach or just buy a styrofoam cooler at Walmart, pick up some ice and beer from a mom and pop shop and away you go. Just don't take the cooler to the beach club as it is not allowed.

The staff were super friendly and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. And the organic soaps and shampoos were very good. The courtyard surrounding the pool is also very pretty. Nice and quiet hotel.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.