“Tired Property”

Real Playa del Carmen
Ranked #144 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I got bumped here from one of the other Tukan properties so I ended up only paying about $45 USD a night when the going rate is around $75-100 so I cannot really complain. As others have noted the property is pretty worn. The rooms could use a renovation. I had a very small balcony, old style TV, and dated bathroom. The wifi was decent and the room was quiet. There are no elevators in any of the buildings so I had to walk up to my fourth floor room. The lobby is nice but it not reflective of the rest of the property. I swam in the pool once but that was it. It really looked shabby and needs a major renovation. It almost did not even feel clean to me. The breakfast buffet was good and extensive. So overall I would not pay more than $50 bucks for this property. At $100 it would be a big rip-off.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 29, 2014

>We stayed at the Real Play del Carmen from March 17 to19th
> Real Playa Del Carmen Hotel and Beach Club
> Location -# rated 2 _ The beach is far away and shuttles are not as frequent as stated on web sites. Rocky shore.
> Sleep Quality rated # 2 - I do not think any rooms are available with two double beds. The cot provided was not convenient. Blankets on top were stained. Very noisy at night!
> Rooms -rated # 1 - Choice was between a lower musty room, or one on 4th floor with no elevator and just as bad a lay out. Old furniture, rusted faucets. We had a cold shower untill we figured out what " c" and " f " ment! Toilet had to be flushed 3 times to work properly.
> Service the best and rated # 5 - We really appreciated all the staff. Enthusiastic, cheerful, helpful, respectful, etc. A special thank you to the manager at the front desk for going above and beyond and finding us an upgrade when we asked. He was professional and so kind. It made our holiday! He was wonderful and did better than expected when others could not help.
> Animation staff was all wonderful! Great shows! There was however no entertainment at the pool or beach during the day. The pool was usually empty and quiet. Boring place all day.
> Value. rated # 2 - could be less expensive for the quality.
> Cleanliness -# 2 - just old and poor quality, Rusty or musty. Seemed clean though.
> Food rated -# 2 - limited buffet.
Best Day Travel was excellent and we always felt safe and that they were there for us if we needed them! So appreciated.

Room Tip: No rooms have have two double beds and all have a poor layout! Inconvenient.
3  Thank yvonsregina123
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank You very much for your comments, we really appreciatte it, aslo mentioned our Employees,
All your notes are so important for us. Best Regards

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Additional great service from the stay & several individuals not mentioned in my previous review:
Pepe (Host) - Maria Marie Restaurant (probably our preferred choice)
Yali & Samira (Supervisor) Members Only Club Room
Guillermina - Housekeeping (Night Turn-down Service)
Selma Nicoli - Spice Restaurant

Room Tip: Get your restaurant reservations in for Maria Marie & Chef's Plate early
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located if you are looking to stay in Playa del Carmen during your whole trip.
Nice lobby/bar just in front of La Bodeguita del Medio.
If you pay a little bit extra of the all-inclusive plan, you get this "VIP bracelet" that includes a better alcohol selection and restaurants along Playa del Carmen.

Highlights. Very nice staff, attending your request inmediatly. Nice food and well located.
LowLights. The room, they look a little bit old (furnitures, blinds & bathroom).

@FoodieQro

Room Tip: Floor section and check the map to know how far the lobby & pool are from
1  Thank FoodieQRO
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your comments, we really appreciatte your time and notes, and hoping that you are coming back again soon. Best Regards.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Well I just got back from a 2 week vacation to Playa Del Carmen...again. We decided to do an all inclusive this time around and picked the Real Playa Del Carmen because it was situated right where we wanted to be.. on 5th Ave. When booking with my travel agent (who told me it was great) we decided to get an upgraded room with a large patio and the cross resort package with the Gran Porto Real. So here comes the worst!

When we first arrived it was pretty much what I expected for a 3 star but I was pretty happy with our room. It was clean and had the bunk beds and a king bed as well. I was traveling with a friend so this worked out great. We did not however have anything in our fridge. We stopped at the front desk on our way out to let them know.

When we came back still no water or beer. To make a long story short we had to fight for water, beer and coffee the whole time we were there. I am glad I did bring my own coffee and we gave up and went and bought beer and water for the room... money I should no have had to spend.!!!!
We decided to check out our buffet that first night there as well. Let me start by saying i'm not one to complain, I have stayed in many resorts over the years.... but let me tell you this is the WORST so called food I have EVER come across. The entire buffet dinner consisted of awful looking dry hamburgers with some buns and condiments, 2 types of chicken mostly legs, some over cooked mushy scary pasta, some FROZEN vegetables, and some undetermined salads. I have never been so surprised in my life!

Also upon arrival I was told that if I wanted any top shelf alcohol.. (ummm including Dos Equis?????) we would have to purchase this black wrist band for another $52 a day! Really??!!! Dos Equis is a local beer and you want me to pay another $52 a day added to the already too much I paid for this sad resort??? No WAY Jose!

So we deiced to take a walk down to the Gran Porto and see what they had to offer and what exclusions we were to encounter there... so here comes the best!!!1

We arrive at the Porto which is gorgeous on the beach and 2 blocks from 5th ave. I went in to ask what we could do with our package. There were no exclusions at all at the Porto. We had full access to this resort.

And I cannot say enough about this resort! It was amazing! The food was absolutely great! The service top notch. The wait staff blew me away. I would sit down in the morning and have my mimosa and cappucino there seconds after I sat down. One morning our waiter asked if we wanted the buffet or eggs benny made by the chef! I almost felt like I should flash my double wristbands so they knew I wasn't staying there. for the record.. have the benny it's heavenly!!!

The Il Paradiso (the Italian Restaurant) is to die for. We were allowed to go there 4 times or to a sad little place at our resort 4 times... Needless to say we went to Il Paradiso 3 or 4 times. They also had a surf and turf night, a steak night, and would set up for different things outside by the pool every night.

Jesus one of the waiters at the beach bar was the best. he would bring us stuff before we even asked. this place was so nice it too me a week to notice there wasn't a swim up bar!!!! but that was okay with me.

There is a beach bar with salsa, hamburgers, chicken, lots of good stuff. And a 24 hr snack bar inside fully stocked with alcohol, awesome snacks, and great coffees.... and beer on tap. And it was never empty.

The snack bar at the Real Playa del Carmen was the saddest thing I have ever seen.. the only thing we took out of it was coffee cups after waiting for an hour after asking front desk for some.

So to sum up.... NEVER stay at the Real Playa Del Carmen!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the people who work there are really really nice but that's the only good thing I can say about this resort.. Oh and once you are there it's like Hotel California.. they won't let you leave.. they won't even let you pay for the cross resort package after the fact.. people there were trying. Even the staff at the Gran Porto felt bad for us. Guest services said they don't sell that resort at all. only the travel agents do because they make more commission.. BE AWARE!!!!!!!

But DO stay at the Gran Porto Real! You will not regret that decision at all. It made what could have been a very sad very crappy holiday into a memorable amazing holiday.

Room Tip: If you must stay here get the upgrade suite with the cross resort package.. that's the only way...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank 1735Juliek
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

We really apologize if we did not exceeded you expectations and we do our best effort to improve facilities and service, we keep in mind all you comments which ar so important for us. I talked already with all Supervisor. Best Regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We Had to upgrade to a better room upon arrival add an extra $140. usd for 2 weeks,,,,,, and we
were also offered use and restaurant of there sister hotels down at the beach these hotels are 5 *
$750.00 for my husband and I,,,,,,, we said no ! ,,,, of course!,,,,, while the hotel manager was watching on and coaching,,,,, LOL !!! a bit of a scam !!!

Otherwise we had a good vacation the food was okay the staff was great had a fabulous time always something to do as your in the heart of town, walking distance to the beach, Walmart, nightclubs.
The bikes are a joke dangerous junk !!
Don't pay to much for this hotel, it should be a good deal

Room Tip: don't take the first room they will try pawning off on you!! look at quite a few and leave your...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maria181793
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

We thank you for your time and comments, which are so welcome, We already wrote down your notes in order to improve and change. We aprreciate your comments. Best Regards.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I just returned two days ago from this quaint but tired and dated property. We did our research on this resort by reading numerous and variously rated reviews. We had no misconceptions as to what to expect, so we didn't set ourselves up for disappointment.

Before i say anything else I want to commend ALL of the staff for being so helpful,courteous and congenial at all times. Always greeting every guest with an Hola, a smile and a hand placed over their heart. Special mention to Gustavo Martinez who is their one and only bell boy who works his butt off delivering and picking up all arriving and departing guests luggage, some to 4th floor rooms. Always with a genuine smile. I had all the time in the world for this young family man.
Remember to tip these people, these are not jobs that any of us would do. And just because you paid for an AI does not give you carte blanche to be rude and disprespectful to them.

The food was bland, colourless, lukewarm and repetetive. Breakfast omlettes were the only consistently hot food, but there was no bacon or sausage?? The only ala carte restaurant was an extreme disappointment. Shoe leather thin flank steak, chicken quarters that looked like it came from the buffet steam line, shrimp cocktail that was baby shrimp in clamato juice broth. They had all of the ingredients for great dishes, they just didn't know what to do with them. I don't understand why they don't have one of the head chefs from one of their other higher end resorts and them how prepare good food.
Again as I said in my opening comments we researched and read reviews so we had an idea of what to expect. It was a good opportunity to try many of the great off resort restaurants within easy walking distance along 5th Avenue.

This is an old property, in excess of 15yrs old. It was built when Playa del Carmen was being developed for the tourist industry. The rooms are in need of updating, but that isn't likely to happen as the whole Real resort chain is under new management and it is likely that this property will be on the chopping block. Having said this the rooms were cleaned daily "at some point" . Towels are only changed daily if you leave them on the floor, if you hang them up the maid assumes that you want to reuse them for another day. Similarly the bedding is changed every other day unless you specify otherwise. Oh yeah I almost forgot, not sure how though, but the beds were extremely hard. They were basically two box springs stacked.

Would we stay here again..probably not, but when we return to PDC and we will. We will be sure to stop in and say hola to our new friends at Real Playa del Carmen. Provided it is still there.

To all of the really negative and nasty reviewers of this property I have 3 words for you...Do Your Research..and you will have no one to blame for your bad experience but yourself

All in all, I know it doesn't seem like it but we had a great time

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul676
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

We really appreciate your commnets, many of them are so important for us, and also we would like to improve and to change. Than You very much mentioned all employees and service. Best Regards.