“Not that nice”
Review of Grand Hostal Playa

Grand Hostal Playa
Ranked #41 of 182 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2014

After seeing how cramped the dorms were we opted for a private room, which wasn't much better. It was a small room upstairs with no windows and 2 sets of bunk beds, so it was cramped with no where to put your bags. There was a fan inside but no ventilation. There was only 2 of us so if there were any more people it'd be gross. No cold water in the shared bathroom, which is also pretty cramped. Not good value for $40USD a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I don't know if you can find a really good hostel in Playa at all. This one might be just at the average local standards. But I have to say I have never stayed in such a cramped dorm. The room was very very small, there was no place to put your stuff. Also the ventilation was really poor which resulted in the room being hot, sweaty and smelly. It felt a bit like an overcrowded prison cell (not that I have stayed in one:) Nowadays is actually quite chilly in Yucatan, but I cannot imagine how's the room when there's heat outside. Bathrooms were filthy - eg. shower was clogged. Staff is nice and helpful.

Room Tip: You'd better camp in a tent in the courtyard!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really didn't enjoy staying here. Why? A couple of reasons:

- The dorm was cramped and there was no room to put your luggage.
- Part of the guests were really loud and drunk.
- There was no hot water in the shower. The girls' shower (upstairs) is very small and again no place to put your stuff.
- The breakfast is lousy. It suppose to be from 7 till 10am, but around 8am there was still no breakfast. Then the lady from the hostel finally brought some bread and jam for toast.
- No bikes available
- Pool was dirty
- When I arrived I was planning to stay 4 nights, later I decided to stay only 2 nights They wouldn't give the full amount of money back to me for the nights that I cancelled.

Definitely not worth the money at least not for me.

Room Tip: Definately avoid the 16-bed dorm!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This well located hostel is reasonably prsied, clean and safe. I liked the bathrooms in the garden, the garden itself and the small pool that is present there. You have ok wifi and a large kitchen with tv. The people are friendly but ask if you need info.
However, I was not a super fan of the rooms. The dorm for 16 upstairs was very small and dark so I took one in the garden (for 8, but I was alone). My room smelled very humid ( molds?) but was clean and free of bed bugs, which is often a problem in Playa. The beds are ok, and the fan helps for the heat, but some noise can come from the garden... There was airco in the room, but could not make it work. The same for hot showers, but I guess if I would have asked, that would have been fixed.

Overall, a good spot, but I would not be surprised if you find a better hostal in playa for this price.

Room Tip: The dorm rooms in the garden are nicer, but you have more noise and light intrusion
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this hostel. I have stayed in some horrendous hostels in the past, and with all the options in Playa Del Carmen, I was having a hard time deciding on which hostel to stay in. All of the hostel reviews were all over the place. I am sure glad that I decided on Grand Playa Hostal.

The location was perfect. 4-5 blocks to the beach, 5th Avienda, many shops, 10th Avienda, many bars and clubs, 3 blocks from the Walmart, and had small corners stores within 1-2 blocks. It is family owned, with the owners on the premises. I stayed in a dorm, and had 3-4 roommates throughout my stay of one week. The facilities were very clean, with cleaning happening many times throughout the day. The common areas are readily used, with the kitchen being one of the better hostel kitchens I have come across. Many pots and pans for cooking, plenty of silverware and plates/bowls, and even cups. Most residents clean up promptly after themselves. Air conditioning is turned on at night, for more comfort during sleeping. The Wi-Fi was extremely reliable, and I often skype called friends and family using my cell phone. I, nor anyone else that I was dorm mates with had any problems with theft. They do provide locked lockers for your use, but most of the time I did not even use mine. I understand that travelers themselves can steal, but as far as the trust worthiness of the employees, I trusted them 100% not to steal. The 90% of the time had an English speaker on the premises, so communication was easy.

I have stayed in Hostels many times when traveling, and this was one of the friendlier places I have stayed. Not only do the owners and employees always say hi, but the other residents were extremely friendly. I ended up traveling and making friends with many of them. Traveling solo this trip, that was extremely welcome. Not that I mind doing things on my own, but it is also nice to stay in a place where you can socialize. Almost every evening, many of the residents, sat in the common areas and socialized. It was just a great experience overall. They do ask for quite time around 11pm-midnight, but as long as you are keeping the noise down, we were never asked to go to the bar, or head to our rooms.

I highly recommend this hostel!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Klane1981
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here two nights as four 23 year olds seeking fun....we were not let down! The place is very clean and close to all our favourite watering holes and discotheques. Friendly staff, great atmosphere and with a cosey pool, bbq and free (blue) bicycle rental, to name but a few.

The bbq was very good but not as good as our cooking skills. We were impressed by how friendly the staff were, and how they dealt with us, after one of our beach towels caught a flame. We were also very impressed by how inflamable the bikes were after we threw the aforementioned flaming towel at them in a bid to stem the flames. Thankfully the fuctionality of the fire extinghuser did not let us down.

Also the beds were comfortable and the air conditioning was bueno!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It's set really near the beach, it's got a great kitchen, air-con at night fans as well, nice green outdoor space, cable TV, rooms with lockers, really clean rooms and bathrooms. And the staff a lovely and friendly, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: March 2013