“Top notch service, great food, beautiful resort!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Evesham, New Jersey
“Top notch service, great food, beautiful resort!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We recently returned from a family trip to the beautiful Paradisus la Esmeralda the end of July 2014. Being our first trip to Mexico, especially with our 11 and 13 years olds, we heavily researched several Playa del Carmen resorts for the best fit. We were traveling with family friends as well. We contemplated upgrading to the family concierge with a regular room or if we should forgo that level of service and book a larger one bedroom suite. We are so happy with our decision to go with family concierge! We ordered a roll a away bed and it was just perfect and very comfortable addition to our sleeping arrangements.( 2 double beds) The room was very roomy and the bathrooms are set up great to accommodate a family of 4. The cleaning staff made sure everything was spotless each day. kudos to the cleaning staff- unfortunately I did not get their names. We were assigned ORION as our concierge and he was no doubt -the best! Although we were given a phone to communicate with him, it was not needed! Orion was always visible and available around the resort whenever we needed him or if we had a small question. He provided top notch services throughout our stay. He works so hard in the Mexican heat and never complained and always gave service with a smile or "can do or will do" response. He did everything in his power to please us. Orion is certainly a great asset to the resort! In addition, the family concierge has a separate pool which was perfect! The main pool was really fun for our kids to play especially on the blow up obstacle course, however it became very crowded and loud. The family concierge pool was a great alternative to the hustle and bustle of the main pool and we enjoyed the the top notch service provided by JERONIMO!!!! This guy is the sweetest man and always had a smile and willing to bend over backwards for us even if we didn't ask! He showed amazing work ethic. If he wasn't serving around the pool, he was cleaning and wiping down tables, or scaring away iguanas for customers that were Leary of their presence. He was also the top server at the hydro grill family concierge restaurant. If we order something at the Bali bed and went in the pool, he found us in the pool with the correct order and a big smile and always kind words!! Love that guy! JERONIMO needs a promotion and we would highly recommend him to be promoted to the family concierge host level or higher! He is hard working and so pleasant. Can't say enough about JERONIMO! Isreal is another family concierge pool staff that provided exceptional service. He aimed to please. We can't say enough about ROOM Service both the quality of the food and the service! Service was not only fast, but all the servers were super nice, thorough, polite, making sure our order was correct. Unfortunately I did not get names but this crew needs to be acknowledged!! Room service was a great option for breakfast in the morning. I ordered an egg white spinach and tomato omelet- hubby ordered ham and cheese omelet, and the kids loved the waffles- oh and always a pot of coffee! Just perfect! Actually, we were personally greeted by the GM Annette while dining in our personal dining are in Bana. She visited our private room (we were given the private room bc there was a slight mix up in our reservations and they quickly resolved it and found us this private area!) and greeted us and spent the time to hear our positive feedback. We mentioned all of the staff above. Obviously the resort train their employees to please and make the work environment a happy place for them to come to each day. She also assured us that the employees are rewarded for positive reviews. You could tell that the level of service is infectious and starts from the top and bleeds down to the front line staff. It was a pleasure to meet Annette and we were so happy to give our feedback about her incredible employees directly to her. Our favorite restaurant was Bana(hibachi grill) and Bana fusion(sushi etc). Services was great and even though I do not like much sushi, I found other dishes that were great. My daughter suffers from several food allergies and They provided her with a card to give to each chef. They made sure they accommodated her needs and even made her a separate meal at the hibachi since shellfish and soy are 2 of her allergies. Our least favorite restaurant was Vento- it was ok but had fun and food was good. Wine selection was not great, but ok. If you wanted higher quality wine, we had to pay. I have to say that Vento is the only place where we encountered mediocre service. Not sure why, but it was very slow, not as friendly and a bit scattered. But the service elsewhere in this beautiful resort made up for that one night. Not a big deal but could use some room for improvement. The Brazilian steakhouse service was great, food good. But it is a gut buster so be prepared to pace yourself.
We did schedule an excursion to Cozumel to snorkel with aqua tours. The guy was great. However, I would suggest they offer a half day excursion without a meal at a local restaurant (La mission- not great) and shopping in Cozumel. After snorkeling we would have rather been brought back to resort. It's a long hot day. Next time I would explore our other options and see what other half day tours were available with other tour companies. We did encounter a very entertaining man at a jewelry store in Cozumel. The guy sir Rodrigues was definitely reality show material! He had a bandage hand(???) and was very entertaining! We enjoyed his persistent bartering in which we fell for and eventually bought a marble chess and other items since he seemed to make a fair deal. He made our long hot trip to Cozumel worthwhile because he was so entertaining! All in all our trip to Paradisus was wonderful!! The grounds are amazing, beach is nice, service top notch and the food was great!!! We highly recommend the paradisus to la Esmeralda!!! Worth every penny! A big kudos to the staff especially the favorites we have mentioned and to those we were not able to get names!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mamalove2014
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear guest,

How lovely it was to read your detailed feedback further to your recent stay on Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda-Family Concierge.

We are glad to read your family and your friends had a pleasant stay with us, while all of you found what you were looking for: fun, relaxation, food quality and variety, comfort, warm service and a unique place where all mentioned gets together in one place.

We like to take this opportunity to mention that at Paradisus, our guest satisfaction is our main goal, which is why we have menus for any food restriction diet at our restaurants. We are satisfied that your daughter had the opportunity to taste succulent meals specially prepared for her.

Likewise, we appreciate you remember the name from some of the staff members that provided to you an outstanding service. All of them will be advised about your kind words in order to motivate them to continue pampering all of our guests the same way they did it with you and your family.

Thank you again for all your valuable comments and we will be glad if you honor us again with your presence at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,358)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I had such great expectations about this trip. I booked thru Costco who then used Best Day Travel. If you aren't familiar with the whole Mexican Vacation Hard sell, I'll familiarize you now with it. As soon as we got our luggage, still in the airport we had people in uniforms asking which hotel we were staying in. They led us to a desk in the airport where they try to hard sell you on the spot discounted travel excursions to Chichen Itza, Talum, Xcaret...etc. For a timeshare meeting that will most likely eat up half the day. After, repeatedly saying no....I was then allow to walk out of the airport to catch my transfer. This is in no way a negative for the hotel, just a fact that leads to another unfortunate event at the hotel. Our transfer involved dropping of two other couples to other hotels. Their hotels had grand entrances with huge white walls and beautiful lobbies. On the approach to our hotel ( I am traveling with 2 children and my wife) the whole street looked sketchy. I was concerned about the concertina wire on the right and the corrugated metal roof on some of the structures approaching the hotel. I seriously thought we were headed into a prison. A terrible entrance if you ask me. Once at the entrance we were directed to the meetings lobby, where we were not offered water, refreshments or anything. Just my credit card to have on file for incidentals. They then put a bracelet on our wrists and was told to come back the next day for our coupon vouchers worth $550.00. We were supposed to get a room upgrade which they did not get. The coupon voucher is worthless if you don't spend 10x the cost of the coupon. They had one guy in a golf cart to take guests to our room, which we had to wait for in the sweltering heat. I can't imagine what would happen if there were a dozen people checking in at the same time. Once at the room, our card keys failed to work. He was able to get us inside with this master key. The guy in the golf cart said he would get us new keys, so we just started unpacking and relaxing. This is when I noticed my night stand lamp was out. I checked my internet and the internet was slow, the router in the room was dead. I looked at the room service menu which wasn't there. I picked up the phone and called and let them no of the problems, they sent an maintenance guy to work on the light. He had a bulb replacement but determined that it was the actual lamp to be the problem. Never heard back from him and they never fixed the lamp for our whole stay of seven days. We got a call that there was a small gift waiting for us at guest services, later to find out that we were asked by the hotel to buy into Hotel Melia Options. I didn't come to this hotel to get pitched to buy into their club options. Give me a break! Then they give you a pink bracelet to let the fake guest services to leave you alone cause you've already been pitched. One good thing I will say about this hotel is that the food was good. The service in the restaurants were good. The problem was you have to make reservations with the guest services to these restaurants. Imagine the result you get when you talk to a sales rep to make reservations for you at a restaurant. A task really not suited for that position as they come off as can't be bothered. You need reservations to eat at all but one restaurant. So my big gripe seems to be with the Lobby and Guest Services, where there is ZERO service. My key went bad again and I walked up to the lobby and said my key was bad. They asked what room and I gave them the number, He just reprogrammed the card and handed it to me. Now, I thought this was only in the movies, where someone just does stuff like this without asking for ID or any such. I will have to say they have a gaping security hole here. Anyway, I complained that I wanted a new card not the same one since we had problems since we arrived. He asked if I had the key card next to my phone, I said, I'm not sure, maybe? He said that's the problem, and then slammed a guest sign in book in front of me and asked for my name and room number. I asked him for a pen since I didn't have one. He acted pissed that I didn't have my own pen. He then rummaged around and located a pen for me to sign his guest book. He then finally gave me a new key card. About this key card problem, my mother stayed in another room down the hall and she had problems with the key card as well but the problem was the lock. They needed to replace the batteries in the lock. It seems they don't maintain their equipment at the hotel, and just cause a lot of grief for their guests. Anyway, the walk from a room to the lobby bake you pretty fast. They said I could call next time, So I called and they said transferred me 3 times, hung up, then called back to be let know that they will send someone in a few minutes, I asked how long? 5 minutes 10minutes 30 minutes? Whats a few minutes, he replies with a few minutes. we had to wait around in the sweltering heat while being locked out of our room... My mom is 70 years old and these people didn't have the decency to say, I will radio someone right away and have them meet you immediately at your room. So we walked to dinner and try to book a car. The guy says meet him at 8am the next day. So I arrive at 7:40am the next day, I wait, its past 8:30 am and this guy is no where to be found. I go to the lobby to ask if they can locate this guy...They say he is a 3rd party operator. But he has a desk on your property, maybe get a different 3rd party operator (car rental agent) that is more reliable. Anyway, If you guys are going to do excursions, the price is cheaper to rent the car and go there yourself and pay the entrance fee. The so called tours are a complete waste of money. You'll find that you've paid twice as much for excursion thru the tour operator because they just regurgitated whats on most of the brochures. I guess this is how they fleece tourists. This could be some of the reasons why the President of Mexico is changing a lot of the tourism laws in the country. Because of this poor experience, I will not be traveling to Mexico again. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends. After the 3rd day, I couldn't wait to leave, the best part was not being at this hotel. Our excursions to Chichen Itza, Talum and Xcaret were nice, just unfortunate we were always asked to buy something everywhere you went. This is just not my kind of vacation.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are terrible I could hear other guests snoring and moving furniture around and their kid...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank BoutiqueOnly
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for sharing with us your opinion and part of the experience you had at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest´s opinion.

Your comments are very important for us, it is through them how we learn about what we need to improve .Please, accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had during different moments and situations with our personnel. Be sure that your notes have been sent to the managers of each involved area in order to improve the service provided.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and we hope you could give us another opportunity to host you at our resort and you could really experience our facilities and service that all our customers deserve.

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just back from a wonderful two week trip with the family. We stayed in a 1 bedroom Master Suite, opting to skip the Family Concierge upgrade. From my perspective, it's not needed when the kids are a little older. I'm sure the daily cookies and milk, and balcony bubble baths are nice for the little ones, but our kids prefer to scarf down the daily delivered snacks (oreos and lays chips) and unwind with the iPad. Great free Wifi so that was nice to have!
For us, getting pool beds or a great beach spot was not a problem, so the reserved pool and beach areas didn't matter, so the FC would be lost on us. Perhaps when the resort is full it's nice to have??
The staff are incredible. Antonio and Alejandro were amazing at NAOS for breakfast, always cheerfully refilling coffees, no small feat considering the pace of the place.
Our concierge, Arnold, was great and managed to get us all the a la carte reso's we requested. Yes, we got the occassional "full court press" to attend the presentation on Club Melia, but I managed to avoid it, as it's something we are not interested in.
Each restaurant was unique and tasty. We love Mole and the tempanyaki show at Bana was fun for the kids.
Yes, the beach is a bit of a hike, but a small task considering you get to flop down on a lounge chair under a big umbrella for the day. The staff work their butts off to always ensure you have a cold drink in hand at all times. Take a stack of $1's for tips, it's a small gesture for the service you get. As for the beach, it's a great mixture of white sand with amazing areas to sit and bob in the water. Sure there were some rocky areas, so either watch where you walk, or take advantage to snorkel around the areas where the rocks are, plenty to see.
It's a short cab ride to 5th ave if you want to take in the madness for an evening stroll. The cab costs $10, cheap in comparison to what it costs to buy gelato for the family in town.
Thanks for the great memories!!

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Luther_dog
Dear guest,

As a family friendly resort we cannot be more grateful to read that you all enjoyed a memorable vacation.

After reading your notes, we are glad to know our LUXEclusive plan fitted your expectations in every way, with the variety offered at the restaurants, great suites but most of all for the attentive service provided by our staff. We will transfer you recognition to Antonio, Alejandro and Arnold, who took excellent care of you and they deserve to know they were an important part of your holidays.

Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to taking care of you during your next stay!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I have been to Mexico 8 times in the past 4 years and have stayed in a variety of all-inclusives, including Palace and Dreams. This was by far the nicest resort I have stayed with. I travelled with my 12 and 15 year old at the end of May 2014. The Family Concierge was well worth the small upgrade fee. The staff made us feel special. My kids were excited about the kids activities and extras, like balloon animals and endless snacks and chocolate milk and were on the older side....for younger kids it would be even better! The staff throughout the resort was helpful and friendly, especially at the Family Concierge pool area. Everything was clean and well maintained. Gilmer, our concierge, took care of our reservations and got us whatever we needed. Food was excellent, even the buffet was wonderful. Our favorite was the hibachi, but Bana Fusion, the Mexican restaurant and the Market were wonderful as well. Drinks were good and the snack area in our Concierge building was a nice touch. My kids didn't want to leave and our ready to go back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank StellaArtois1
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that your family vacations at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda – Family Concierge were full of surprises and now your family members have an unforgettable great experience.

It is great to know that all of you enjoyed the special benefits of being a Family Concierge guests. Our staff works very hard to provide our families an unforgettable experience through little details and special amenities for our young guests. Your recognition to the service received from Gilmer your concierge will be sent to his supervisor in order to motivate him to continue pampering all our guests the same way he did with you.

Please consider to stay again in Paradisus Playa del Carmen for your next vacations in the Mexican Caribbean.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our family recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Paradisus. We traveled with our children 3 & 6 and stayed in the Family Concierge section with an ocean-view room.

Family Concierge: Our concierge was Gilmer. The kids enjoyed the nightly milk & cookies, balloons, and bubble baths. Tip: ask for a drying rack to dry swimsuits on the balcony.

Pool: Our kids preferred the FC pool over the pirate pool. The pirate pool seemed crowded and the towel game was in full effect. We could see the majority of loungers reserved with towels and magazines each day on our was the breakfast. I do wish the resort would do more to prevent this from happening. Jeronimo and Israel provided excellent service at the FC pool. We never had trouble finding a bali bed.

Beach: We spent most of our time at the beach. Lots of bali beds available. Yesenya was fantastic! The beach was rocky but the section in front of the FC section was perfect. The walk to the beach is short, even with 2 kids in tow. They enjoyed walking the bridge through the mangroves and we even spotted a crocodile once! Tip: ask for beach toys.

Food: Food was great. Mole was our favorite. Fernando was outstanding. Breakfast at Naos each morning and the staff was very attentive. Loved the omelet station. Our first night we ate at the sunset grill as it was too late for reservations. The kids enjoyed the mariachi band.

We did not use the kids zone and the nightly shows were started too late for us. Kids were asleep by 9:30 when the shows began. Although they really enjoyed the bouncy houses after dinner each night. Although you do have to watch out for other children who play extremely rough with no parents in sight.

Room: The room was modern and clean. We really liked the huge shower with a rain showerhead. Housekeeping was a little late to come each day well into the late afternoon. This made it difficult to plan naps for the kids. Also, it was difficult to cool the room - it never got quite as cold as we would have liked. Wifi was spotty.

We took a short 10 min cab ride to Playa Del Carmen one morning. One negative is the sales pitch by the melia club rep. One rep followed us around and made us feel very uncomfortable.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and had a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank GabbyLou3
Dear guest,

We receive our guest´s reviews with enthusiasm because it is important for us to know the elements that made their stay memorable and the areas we need to improve to completely fulfill our tourist´s expectations.

Regarding your comments about housekeeping and air conditioning, please rest assured that will be addressed with our management in order to improve and take corrective actions to give an exceptional service. As well, our partners from Club Meliá will be informed, in order to polish their approaching methods and avoid this kind of situation like the one you have experienced.

On the other part, it is pleasant to read we surpassed your expectations regarding the Family Concierge service and our LUXEclusive plan, in which you were pampered by our attentive personnel.

As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom we are sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.

Thank you for your valuable review, and remember we will be pleased if you honor us again with your presence at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We just returned back from this resort. Had a great time with family.

This is a beautiful resort with very friendly staff and service. It has great restaurants with many different options. Nice beach.

1 Thank Ashish V
Dear guest,

We are pleased to read that your overall experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda was completely satisfactory and you had the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful facilities, great restaurants and the friendliness of our staff.

Thank you for your kind comments and for granting us with the opportunity to host you again.

Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband and I had stayed at La Perla (adults only) when it first opened a few years back. This time, we decided to bring our two kids (11 and 3) and stayed at the kids side. We booked through cheapcarribean.com an ocean view suite with a pull out couch and two double beds in the bedroom, and added on round trip airport transfer as well.

We got the hotel around 2 pm or so, staff was very friendly. We were assigned a welcome concierge, who was very nice and walked us through all of the dining options. You have to make your reservations for dinner when you arrive, and they give you a tour. All we wanted was to get to our rooms. We made our reservations but were told you couldn't make reservations for the day you arrived and were to eat at a buffet welcome dinner. None of the restaurants are packed so not sure why they are so strict about this. And you cannot change your reservations after 4pm, so if you are running late, too bad.

Overall, servers and food was excellent. We especially loved the Brazillian dinner and Mexican. Never had a waiter who didn't treat us like family.

Maid service is hit or miss. We had four staying in a King Master suite and never got more than 4 towels. Not awesome when you may shower more than once a day to get the sand off. We had to call for towels every day. The "snacks in the room" are kind of a joke. One pack of oreos and snack bag of lays for FOUR people?

Pools are great, the kids loved the pirate ship and the trampoline. The life guards did a good job of trying to keep the older kids safe on the trampoline, which was a relief since the little ones wanted to bounce too.

Beach is OK. It's a hike from the pool if you have small kids in tow, plus sand toys. I'd prob stay in Cancun next time for that reason. The beach is also filled with coral reefs which are very rocky so you had to walk a bit. Fine, if you haven't just walked a mile. Overall, beach service was great, water was beautiful and good sand.

Now, let's discuss why we'll never go back and why we only have three stars. Upon check in, the front desk tells us we can upgrade our room to a king master suite b/c we have a voucher which would give us more space and a king bed in the bedroom for $60 USD. Great! They swiped my card, I signed the receipt in pesos. I checked my online banking to just confirm the transaction was what they said in USD. No problems.

We enjoy our room all week, it's time to leave, schedule our transportation and check out. Day of check out, we have breakfast, check out as our van is waiting and they tell me I have to settle my upgrade. Um, I paid for that already, they had no records. I didn't have the receipt handy, the kids were in the van and it was ready to go. Was told, it's ok we'll just swipe your card so you can leave and you can call us to reimburse if you have a record of the double charge. First mistake on my part, have any receipts handy that you paid for when you check out. I felt like a prisoner and just let them swipe my card so we could leave. Get home, and almost $1000 had been charged to my card! We call the hotel, they have accounting return our call and email us an apology about how we were treated and for the charge, and most importantly, that I should expect a refund within no later than 72 hours. Here we are almost 3 weeks since we contacted them and no refund. No one will return our calls or emails. Finally I had to dispute the transaction with the bank.

So the good:
* New, modern hotel
* Great service
* Pretty excellent food for all inclusive
* Family friendly pools
* Kids had an amazing time (get frozen chocolate milks!)

The bad:
* What kind of place says they'll refund you and then never does and avoids you?
* Beach is a hike if you have little ones
* The beds aren't super comfy, felt like a king air mattress
* Maid service in room is hit or miss
* Reservations close early and you can't just go with the flow

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Amy J
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for staying with us and for sharing the second experience you had at Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had during your check-out process and maid service. Be sure that your notes have been sent to the managers of each involved area in order to improve and assure it will not happen again to our appreciated guests.

Regarding your bill situation, let me inform you that you will be contacted shortly by our Front Desk team at your personal email, in order to clarify this situation.

We’re truly sorry this incident left you with a negative impression of the hotel and we sincerely hope to have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back, just think in all the fantastic attributes you were enjoying with your family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,196 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!