“Best service ever!”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #32 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We arrived to the hotel at 3:00pm and were greeted with fresh cold towels and a nice welcoming drink!

All staff were so happy to assist us at all times. Dinners were also very special due to the wide variety of "a la carte" options in the place! We loved Mole and Fuego.

Our children had a blast at the Kids Zone and you should ask for their outdoors activities that kept our little ones busy at all times.

We highly recommend this wonderful place!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank YaredSerrano
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you spent the best time in our property. We want to ensure that once you walk through our lobby doors, you’re able to relax and enjoy every moment of your vacation.

It is a pleasure for us to learn you enjoyed our facilities, the culinary experience we offer in our different restaurants and to know that your little ones took advantage of the Kids zone.

We appreciate your recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Dear Paradisus Staff

I would like to take the time to write a review about a second trip I spent in your resort.
In November 2012, i had spend a week long vacation at this fabulous hotel. I am very picky as to were I stay in foreign country. I had spend hours to find the best resort possible. I was amazed at the deal I got looking online. It it truly, everything you could expect, and more. We are a young couple so we are looking for modern resorts. This resort has only a couple of years old so nothing seemed out of style or distasteful.

Many good reviews stated before me the obvious that every detail is taken care of. The rooms are cleaned up to 3 times a day, the sheets, bedding and pillows are luxurious, the flat screen Tv with adjustable arm made it easy for me to bring a media device and plug in a HDMI wire to look at movies. The decor is absolutely fabulous.

To add to this, what makes this hotel stands out is without a doubt the whole team of staff.
I personally worked 4 stars hotel in Canada for more than 5 years and I have to say this staff put to shame every hotel I have worked for. The employees are devoted to their guest, making sure to go above and beyond every need. The restaurants are all very good, this time we spent the extra 60$ to go to Passion, the fanciest and only restaurant that charges an extra cost, it was well worth it, a tasting menu such as the one I ate was up to par with some of the fanciest tasting menu I've experienced in restaurant such as Daniel Boulud in Montreal's Ritz Carlton.
I would like to mention some employees that took special care of us:

Antonio Arroyo from restaurant Naos, he served us every morning, after a couple of days he already knew exactly what to bring, he tried to speak french with us as soon as he realized it was our first language, a really nice genuine person.

Toni from the restaurant Vento. A really professional waiter that served us many times and we really appreciated and accommodating.

Reyes and Sergio from the Beach took care of us all week long to make sure we were not dehydrated ;)

I really enjoyed my trip and I would not hesitate to go back.
Thanks to everyone who made this so enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JeromeDespault

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda, we want to take this opportunity to thank for believing and trusting on us.

Your comments made us even prouder of our staff, we recognize those who put everything to their day to day, we highly appreciate the love, care and dedication shown to their work; this is what makes us different and what makes possible to exceed our guests expectations. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them.

Thank you again for your value review and for visiting us and we hope to have the privilege to host you once again in a near future.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Last January went to the Paradisus with my entire family.We were a family of 11people Nine adults 2 children.We had a blast !!!!The food was excellent,the entrainment was very good.The food was very good but the staff was excellent.They did everything in their power to accomodant us.We observe dietary needs and the helped forefil our needs.They were so accommodating..
The most impressive part of the resort are their employees so respectful and helpful and just genuinely nice.My grandchildren loved the kids programs and look forward to being with staff.
We loved it so much that my husband and I returned back to the Paradisus just last week.Were we were greeted by the incredible staff.They are so friendly and warm and truly appreciate the loyalty Of returning guests.We love the Paradius at Playa Del Carmen so much that we booked another family vacation in January of 2014 at the Paradisus in Punta Cana This time we have added anew addition to our family ,a baby boy,

Room Tip: Make sure you book the room and know where you are in location of resort .It is very big so location...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nancy C
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our facilities, the entertainment and the culinary experience we offer in our different restaurants, but most of all we thank you for complimenting the service, as our team is the most important resource in our commitment to create memorable and unique experiences.

Paradisus Punta Cana will be waiting for you on January 2014 in order to create more travel memories.

Director de Hotel

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This resort was very nice the food was excellent!! the service was great. The only complain I have is that I lost a pair of shorts and I called the security department and they weren't very helpful. They told me there were going to look for it so they put me on hold for like one minute! They told me that they never found it but I'm 100% sure that they were in the room and was taken or stolen!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Redwood1234
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your brief review from your stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

The situation you describe is not a reflection of our service standards, as all Paradisus team follow a very strict code of ethics. You can be sure that your comments and concerns are already in the hands of our heads department, as we are always in the pursuit of exceeding your expectations and provide you the reasons to come back.

We appreciate your kind words about the service and the culinary experience we offer in our different restaurants, thank you very much for mentioned those details.

Thank you again for your value review and for visiting us and we hope to have the privilege to host you once again in a near future and change your first impression.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We went with a family of 4 to PDC last week for a family wedding. IN order to make the most of the trip we went for a week. We arranged to have the Family Concierge and for us it was well worth it. Check in/out was a breeze, the staff was amazing and the resort was very clean and well thought out. With the Family Concierge (same as Royal Service on the adult side) there is access to a dedicated family pool/restaurant and an air-conditioned lobby (fantastic for those hot days). The concierges make sure to try to help with as much as possible and give you a dedicated phone for easy contact.

Marcos, Pablo and the team at the Hydro Grill were the best. They took great care of the entire family - kids included. They were quick to make suggestions with respect to meals, drinks and activities. The kids loved the afternoon popcorn, sno-cones or cotton candy.

Elizabeth runs the pool deck by the Sunrise Grill and she is great. She learned the kids names and made sure to take care of them every day we were on resort. She was always available for a quick referral/suggestion and help line up some snorkeling for the kids.

Our Concierge was Olga and she (and the entire team) were spectacular. They helped with reservations, activities and gave the kids treats at night to make sure they felt included. When she was out of the facility, the rest of the team stepped up and never missed a step. Olga made the trip and preparations for the wedding very easy for my family.

Additional feedback. Nothing too groundshaking, but worth noting.
*The rooms can be tight/small - Ask for a new room if you are not happy - we found out to late that the resort is happy to accommodate, but many of our friends found them to be very easy to work with. If I were to do it again I would ask for a suite/room on a higher floor (ocean views).
*The activity providers (snorkeling, tours, ruins, etc) on-site are crazy expensive - we found MUCH better deals online. We used USA-Transfers for a trip to the ruins and saved over 50% - we also got to see much more than if we used onsite.
*There were four of us and we tried to pack light. We knew that we would need to do laundry, but discovered the hotel charges $5 (USD) per shirt. We found a local laundry facility that laundered all of our stuff (22 lbs) for just over $8 - even with a tip, we got everything washed for less than three shirts on the resort. It is a 1 block walk to the laundry and I would not hesitate to suggest anyone avail themselves of this service as she did a FANTASTIC job.
*Get a taxi ($10) into town and visit 5th Avenue at night. It is a great activity.
*La Esmerelda is the family side of the resort. This means kids! Kids spill, throw-up, are loud, cry, throw tantrums. All of that is likely to happen and should be expected. The reason I post this here is that many adults stayed on La Esmerelda side because it was less expensive, but were irritated that there were soo many kids around - if you want no kids, pay extra and go to the adults only side (La Perla).

Room Tip: Wish we would have asked for a higher floor as it would have provided an ocean view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank C M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

Our devotedness is to provide the highest quality service level beyond our guest expectations, and it is a real pleasure to learn we were able to exceed your expectations. We are delighted to read that you had an excellent time in our property.

It is an honor for us to know that you have enjoyed all the benefits, services, and special amenities of our exclusive Family Concierge Area. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom we are sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.

You may feel assured that we took good notes from your particular observations, in order to provide you the reasons to come back.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

As a quick overview, this resort was a model of customer experience and service. Staff were incredibly well selected and well trained. We were absolutely gutted to leave and take great pleasure in leaving this review.

The hotel is stunning and is beautifully designed throughout.

The all inclusive really does mean that - the cocktail menu is extensive and the a la carte and buffets simply superb... catering for the discerning adults we are, as well as keeping our children well and truly happy.

Attention to detail is clear to see throughout the resort. Head chefs are outside the kitchens – checking on the quality of food, front of house. They genuinely cared how it was being perceived by customers.

In the Sunrise pool bar, it was noticeable to see the manageress lifting the lids on the food leaving the kitchens and checking food against their orders before they left the pass. At no point was our order incorrect in any way. Pretty good after 11 nights…

After 12 hours of some of the heaviest rain the region had seen in a while, we woke up to find an inch of water over our hotel room. Fortunately all valuables were above ground. We called reception – they told us to go to breakfast and give them a couple of hours and all would be fine. Frankly, we were sceptical, the swimming pool outside our room had flooded – staff homes in the local town had been flooded too. We shouldn’t have been sceptical. 2 hours later, we returned to our room and you would never know there had been a problem.

This was consistent throughout our stay. When we needed something – extra towels, a restaurant reservation - just one call had to be made – and you just knew it would be done. Immediately too.

My son was after an ice cream for lunch. It turned out they only had cups and he’d hoped for a cornet. A cup would have been fine…

Next thing we knew, our waiter had spent 5 minutes walking back to the main restaurant, had grabbed a cornet and came running back through the heat to make my son’s day. He really didn’t have to do that – but had been brilliantly trained. Nothing was too much trouble.

It was also his birthday while we were away – they’d asked us on arrival whether we were celebrating anything special. On 4th November, he was greeted with chocolate cake and a Happy Birthday from waiters at breakfast and for dinner. ‘Fake’ tequila shots were delivered at lunchtime and when we returned to our room that evening, the bath had been filled with bubbles and balloons for him…

Bar staff would serve you a cocktail and before you knew it, before the glass was completely finished, another one would appear – with a short story behind it – typically in a similar style to the one you’d just ordered – they just thought you might like to try it.

We ordered room service for our children three times. In all cases, there was a little something extra and in all cases their meals arrived much faster than they told us on the phone. When does this ever happen when you order a take away to your home?

Special mention and thank yous to Gregorio and Augustine in the Sunrise pool bar, Lucy and her sidekick in the kids club and Jeronimo Saragoz in the Naos buffet.

One criticism - don’t pretend

As you can probably see, we absolutely loved our time here. It was the best family holiday we’ve ever had and I was gutted to leave. There was one experience I think they got wrong.
When we arrived, we were introduced to our personal concierge for the week – she would show us round the resort, book restaurants and offer us tours – all very helpful and she was a very sweet lady. We arranged to meet her the afternoon after we arrived.
During that meeting, she then explained much about the resort but then spent the majority of our meeting persuading us to come to a meeting the next morning – she went out of her way to do this – and I quickly realised we were at the top of a marketing funnel for their ‘time share’ equivalent. A concept clearly popular with US customers, but not so much with us British types.
I was a little annoyed – however despite it being incredibly mysterious (no pricing / details would be provided in advance) I did go along obediently the next morning at 10 – an hour and a half out of my holiday which I didn’t take lightly.

When I arrived, it turned out they expected all 4 of us to come… They expected my children to sit through a 90 minute sales pitch! No chance. I politely declined, which wasn’t taken well.
Our concierge didn’t like this either and the sales tactics kicked in again – until I had to get quite animated. It then turned out our ‘personal concierge’ wasn’t actually affiliated with the hotel – just to the Melia group and her job was indeed to sell the time share concept. I have nothing against this woman – she was very sweet, doing her job and very much following the process HQ had laid out.

It did leave a bad taste though. She barely talked to us again the rest of the stay, apart from waking us up via the phone one morning at 8.30 to tell us she was ‘here’.

Don't let that stop you from booking - just be aware of it and be firm if it doesn't interest you.

We'll be back.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are cool!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Allow us to express our gratefulness for selecting us to celebrate your vacation, and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay with us.

Our top priorities are to provide the highest quality service and to show you how to embrace the experience of the Pure Freedom to Just Be. It is always a great pleasure knowing that we exceeded your expectations and that we were able to create such a unique holiday experience.

We feel very honor to read all your kind words about our facilities, the culinary experience we offer and about the service provided for our team, your comments made us even prouder of our staff, we recognize those who put everything to their day to day, we highly appreciate the love, care and dedication shown to their work; this is what makes us different and what makes possible to exceed our guests expectations

Again, thank you for your comments; it will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We recently stayed at Paradesis Cancun and although it had a beautiful beach the hotel was small. Food was so so and we were bothered by time sharing. We returned six months later to Paradesis EsMarelda and we had a great vacation!! Although the beach is so so the hotel was great!! The hotel is large and separated the family and adult side and made it easy to go back and forth. Our waiter REYES on the beach at playa del car a was the best waiter we have ever had. He knew our special drinks and was sure we were always taken care of! He made us feel special! I cannot thank him enough and had to thank him specially on our last day! Another person who was very kind was Yazmin at the desk in lobby. My husband wanted to do something special and she stayed 2 hours after her shift to help him. She also helped me when I needed a pharmacy and was very patient. Yazmin definitely went over and beyond to be sure our vacation was special. I also want to thank Jamie for his help with dinner reservations.

The hotel is beautiful and everyone cannot be kinder bthe staff at Gabby bar was very attentive. The only thing missing is an entertainment staff. At other resorts there is a group of people in pool playing water polo and volleyball etc with guests. Then in afternoon games by pool. This is the biggest thing lacking at this resort and the entertainment at night is late and so so. But I would highly recommend this resort for a very relaxing vacation with a very special staff who treated us as if we were family.

Room Tip: El Perela is adult side and EsMarelda is family. The rooms with private pool no one used!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

Our devotedness is to provide the highest quality service level beyond our guest expectations, and it is a real pleasure to learn we were able to exceed your expectations and create this memorable experience.

We would like to thank you for your kind compliments toward our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests; we will gladly pass on your compliments to each one of them.

Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope this is the first of many more times we will have the pleasure to host you at the Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!