“Best Family resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tampa, Florida
“Best Family resort”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you are looking for a family resort, i recommend this one. Great fun activities for the kids, nice pool and even the food is above average for this type of place. Don't forget to ask for Luis and Marcos in the pool, Daniel makes the best margaritas at the beach bar, and Gustavo is the best waiter at the Mole restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time that you took, sharing your experience with our future guests.

It is an honor for us, read that you had a wonderful time with us, we are very glad to learn that you enjoyed the pool area, the daily entertainment and the service provided from our staff. Luis, Marcos, Daniel and Gustavo will know about your recognition, thank you very much for mention them.

Will be an honor for us, host you again in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, we hope to have the opportunity to pamper you one more time.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,494)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pros:

Service - I would like to recognize Everaldo and Juan (La Perla pool bar), Carmen (Beach), Tony (Vento), and the guys at Blue Agave tequilla bar (can't remember names) for outstanding service throughout the week. All in all the service at this resort is great.

Beach - I was concerned about the beach after reading all of the complaints on Trip Advisor but I actually liked it. It is somewhat narrow but not really a negative in my opinion. The water was beautiful but was also rocky as others have stated. For whatever reason, I liked it. Also, the walk to the beach through the mangroves has been completely overblown by other reviewers in my opinion. It just wasn't a big deal to me at all.

Food - It was very good. Vento and Bana were highlights for me but I also liked Mole and Brazilian Steakhouse at the Market. Breakfast was buffet and it was solid. The poolside food was a favorite of our group and we ate mucho fruta. The grill at the beach was also solid. If food is important to you as it is to me, then you will be pleased.

Rooms - We had a Jr Ocenview Suite and the room itself was great. Bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed the hottub on the balcony. The ocean view is from a distance as you are NOT directly on top of the beach at this resort. The resort IS oceanfront but most of the rooms are back from the beach.

Bars / Drinks: Great. Don Julio is the tequila of choice and my new nickname is Don Julio. My favorite bar was Blue Agave tequila bar.

Cons:

Change: It was really difficult to get change at the resort. Sometimes I wanted to tip or tip more and nobody could seem to find change for a $20.

Club Melia sales pitch: Very annoying and unnecessary. I agree with the other reviewers here. I just paid a few thousand dollars to come to this luxury resort to relax and the daily sales pitch is just annoying. A polite "Not interested" didn't seem to be enough so I had to resort to just hanging up when they would call my room. You shouldnt have to deal with this minor annoyance on a honeymoon, or rare vacation. For future vacationers at Esmeraldo or La Perla......................just say hell no right off the bat because being polite (hinting, saying Ill think about it, etc) will just get you hounded.

Summary:

I would have given this resort a perfect rating if it weren't for two things:

Tecate Light was the only light beer they stocked - which is fine because its not bad at all. However, it was not available a couple of times during our stay.

And as stated above, the Club Melia sales pitch was downright obnoxious in general. Patti was a very nice woman and did a great job, unfortunately her job was to pester me about touring some property that I wasnt interested in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark C
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our trip last week to the Paradisius Esmeralda. We are in our late 40’s and traveled with our 10 year old daughter. We had a Ocean View Junior Suite which had a distant view of the ocean. Unlike other hotels there is not a grand drive into the entrance of the hotel and the back of it is very utilitarian looking. But inside is very nice.

Like others have mentioned there is a mangrove between the hotel and the beach so when you are sitting at the pool you can’t see the beach. It’s a short 5 minute walk to the beach which was narrow but still very nice and there were areas without rocks. We didn’t need to wear water shoes.

I was told about the Club Melia sales pitch before hand and they asked if we were interested in the presentation when we checked in. We said no and were not bothered at all the rest of the trip. Just avoid the desks that say “Guest Services” they are the timeshare people. I did have to go to them to change a few restaurant reservations but they were fine, didn’t bother us about the timeshare. We did speak to quite a few guests who were Club Melia members and they all seemed very happy with their timeshare. We just aren’t interested in one right now.

The main pool is nice with a pool bar and climbing inflatables for kids to climb on. The pirate pool is right next to the main pool and is shallower and warmer (very warm). This is the first time we went to Mexico in June and we had beautiful weather the entire week, but was told the week before it rained almost every day, so we were very lucky. It was low season and we were told that the hotel was 30-40% full, so there were plenty of chairs and even some of the beds near the pool.

The service was the best part of the trip, the staff is wonderful and the service was the best we had (and we’ve been to about 8 all inclusive in the Mayan Riviera. We made all our reservations a week before we arrived but were able to change a few when we got there.

The food was also very good and you can eat at the a la carte restaurants every night. We went to Mole, the Market (Brazilian steakhouse), Vento (Mediteranean), Bana (Japanese steakhouse and sushi). Our least favorite was Mole. I had the Chicken Mole which was okay but my husband didn’t like the beef. We were going to go to Passion since it was our anniversary but decided not to because we didn’t really like the menu (lots of things we don’t eat like fois grois, duck, clams, etc. Our favorite was Vento, the Market, and Bana. Our daughter loved the buffet Naos. We ate lunch there a few times and the made to order grilled chicken and fish was excellent, so was pasta. Another suggestion would be to have a kid's menu in English and Spanish for all the restaurants.

Our daughter was 10, so I was a little worried because most of the reviews mentioned younger kids, so I was afraid she wouldn’t like the kids club but she loved it. There were lots of kids her age and they did a lot of fun things. My only suggestion is the kids club is open in the evening from 8-10 which is great, but the shows start at 9:30 pm, so we would usually only see ½ the show because we would get our daughter and she would be bored or tired. It would be nice if the shows started at 9 or the kids club ran until 10:30. I heard babysitting was $20 an hour plus taxi fare, which seems high compared to other hotels. I think for kids over 12, I would choose another hotel because there isn’t a lot for teens to do or a club for them.

A few reviewers noted that the hotel is in a rundown area of Playa. You do drive through a neighborhood that looks poor. I don’t know how safe it is, there were a lot of police. We rented a car and after the Xcaret night show drove back to the hotel and got a little lost and were driving around. There were kids playing on a playground (if it was unsafe would they be out at night?) but we also had a police car pull in front of a store and a lot of police got out with shot guns so that was a little scary. If you are going to Playa I would take a taxi or if in the daytime walk along the beach. I walked by myself along the beach to 38th avenue and it took about 20 minutes and passed by hotels and condos.

You can rent jet skis at the hotel but if you want to parasail AquaWorld (the vendor at the hotel) only does it out of Cancun. The closest parasailing seems to be at a hotel on the beach at 38th street and the cost is $65.

The décor of the hotel is very modern. I kind of missed the Mexican feel of some of the hotels. I also missed that they didn’t have the shows in a theater, they set up a stage in one of the bars of the hotel. They also didn’t do a kids show. At the Iberostar hotels they usually have a kids show in the theater at 8pm and then have the adult or family show.

Excursions – we rented a car from the Dollar car rental in the lobby. For 1 day we paid $100 for an automatic car with full coverage (no deductable). For $80 we would have had a $1500 deductable but didn’t want to take the chance. We picked up the car at 1:15 pm and drove to Xcaret and sent the afternoon in the underground river and snorkeling, then we ate dinner and saw the show at 7 pm. The all inclusive cost was $119 for adults and ½ price for kids under 12. Then the next morning we drove to Tulum and arrived at 9 am. You will see many guys selling bug spray in the market – BUY IT. The mosquitos were awful, my husband must have gotten 20 bites. I didn’t think it would be so bad in the morning. We took some pictures but didn’t do a tour because it was HOT and we had been there before. We spent about an hour swimming in the ocean, then taking a few more pictures before we left and got back by 1 pm to return the car.

For food and service and rooms I would rate the Paradisius the best hotel we have stayed at. Would I go back, probably not only because we like to go to different hotels and the main reason is I like to be able to see the beach when you are sitting at the pool. My husband and daughter don’t really like the beach, so if the beach isn’t right near the pool I don’t get a chance to go often. Otherwise it was excellent resort. If I could just combine the view of the Barcelo Maya Palace with the service and food of the Paradisius it would be the best hotel.

Room Tip: We would get a swim up room next time.
3 Thank susanjc
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much, for sharing your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, with our future guests, and thank you for all you notes, our guest´s opinions are very important for us, because thank to you observations we can learn and improve our service.

We are very happy to read that you had a wonderful experience in our Resort; also we are very glad to learn that you and your family enjoyed the pool area, our culinary experience and it is a pleasure for us to know that the service provided from our team was beyond what you expected.

We appreciate all the suggestions for our next visitors we are sure your notes will be very helpful for them.

Once again thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, and please if you decide to stay one more time here, will be an honor to host you.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2013

These notes detail 2 holidays spent at Paradisus La Esmeralda Family Concierge (12/12, end of May 2013). From the moment we arrived our trip was incredible. We were quickly taken to the private check-in area for family concierge vacationers. The check-in process was very quick and easy. We were outside by the pool in about an hour from our arrival. The property is immaculately kept and very clean. All of the public areas are cleaned and refreshed throughout the course of the day and the pools and lounge areas are cleaned every morning before the sunrises it seems. The accommodations were elegant, clean and provided ample space for a great vacation. The nespresso machine in the room for family concierge clients was a nice treat. The family concierge service was spectacular. Our family concierge Manolo and Mar on our successive trips saw to our every need and ensured an easy and carefree vacation experience. The family concierge manager is frequently visible and always eager to ensure all guests are happy with the resort. Whatever we needed to tend to our 2-year-old daughter throughout the stay, the family concierge team ensured it was readily available. The family concierge pool area is a vacation paradise. The pool concierge Henri provided great service, always ensured adequate towels and comfort, and even provided our daughter with some extra toys to enjoy at the pool during the day. The staff at the pool bar and the Hydra Grill (exclusive for family concierge guests) provided excellent service throughout both of our stays. Pablo (chief waiter), Carlos, Alex, Beatriz provided excellent service and saw to our every beverage or food request, even if it was not available at the grill. They really do an excellent job and they are a principle reason for why Paradisus is such a great place to vacation. The restaurants at the resort are spectacular. The menus are varied and there are many different cuisines to chose from. The service in all of the restaurants was excellent. Overall, if you are looking for a great and carefree vacation spot that is good for families with younger children I think Paradisus is the perfect spot – after all, a resort that does a great job keeping your child(ren) happy, does a great job keeping you happy! We plan to return next March!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would you like to thank you for write about your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen and thank you very much for your preference.

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed the benefits of Family Concierge, our facilities, the pool area, our culinary experience and the service provided from our staff. It is an honor read that from the beginning to the end your stay was very pleasurable.

Manolo, Mar, Henri, Pablo, Carlos, Alex and Beatriz will know about your recognition, they will be very happy to know that they helped you to have a memorable holiday, which is our main goal.

We will be waiting for you on your next visit, will be an honor pamper you again and make you repeat the Paradisus Experience.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here June 5-11 and it was ok at best. First we were booked into the wrong room. We requested multiple bedrooms as we were traveling with our 6&9 yr old. They tried to put us in a room with one bed and a rollaway at the foot of it. After a 1200$ additional charge we were in the room we were told we originally booked.
The second day we were there, we left to go shopping. One of the ladies at the entrance began to badger us wanting to know where we were going. I advised her shopping, and she wouldn't accept this answer. The conversation quickly turned bad, as she demanded to know what other hotel we were going to visit. For some reason she thought we were going to look at time shares. This whole ordeal left a very sour taste with us, and sealed the deal that we would never return to this resort.

This resort is advertised as a "kid friendly" resort, it turned out not to be so much. Nearly half the restaurants are adult only. Having to make reservations to have dinner nightly is kinda annoying, and when you get there seeing several of the entrees have an additional charge is very aggravating. The food over all is average at best.

Some of the people there are very good making you feel welcome and at home, but the bad ones overshadow the rest. They are quite persistent asking you to attend a meeting to preview and join their Melia club. Ask once then leave it alone please!
Again very average at best

1 Thank Tommy J
Dear Guest,

First, we would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, for your past holidays.

Our guest’s reviews are very important to us because they give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve.

Please, be advise that the Manager of Meliá Club was properly informed, in order to correct and prevent the situation that you mentioned, we offer you a sincere apology for the inconvenience and the misunderstanding; I assure you, this situation will not repeat with other guest.

We understand that this experience affect your vacation in our Resort, if you decide to return to Playa del Carmen and give us other opportunity, we assure you that we will exceed your vacations and we will make you live the real Paradisus Experience.

Northeast
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We just got back from a 7 day stay at the resort with our twin 3-year-olds. Bottom Line: All of my expectations were met and I would definitely come here again either with kids or without.

This was our first international trip with our children and I did a lot of research to find an all-inclusive resort that offered child care for toddlers. My husband and I traveled extensively before our children were born and we've previously been to Mexico and other all inclusives. Our last stay in Mexico was at the Iberostar Paradiso in the same area. Of course, traveling with children is a completely different experience, so we weren't sure what to expect and whether the resort would live up to the hype.

Well, I'm happy to say the resort was a great choice for us. What gives this resort the edge is it's upscale, yet roomy accommodations, friendly staff and child care. We stayed in a one bedroom Master Suite, which was perfect for families who want a private bedroom and be able to close the door! From the bedroom, you can access the balcony. So while the kids were asleep, we were able to either lounge in the bedroom or on the balcony, which had a small dining table, love seat and a jetted tub. The TV channels are very limited for non-Spanish speakers, so consider bringing DVDs. The pull out couch in the living room is low to the ground, so our children were able to sleep safely on the bed without any concerns of them falling off and hurting themselves. Any time we needed something in the room, a simple phone call was all that was needed.

The KidsZone was great for giving us a break for an hour or two. We dropped the kids off in the evening after 8pm a few times and then we were able to enjoy a private dinner. We also dropped them off one time in the afternoon when we wanted to lounge by the pool kid-free. The KidsZone has a toddler sized toilet and we also left Pull-ups for changing. The staff was friendly with the kids and our children really enjoyed playing at the KidsZone.

This is a gorgeous hotel, all the finishings were top notch. The photos were very accurate. The meals are better than average for an AI. Did I have a few dishes that I didn't like? Of course! I can't expect to eat out 3+ times a day and enjoy everything. The beauty of it is, if you don't like something, order something else, it's an all-inclusive! My favorite restaurant was the adults-only La Palapa, service there was top-notch and our waiter was fantastic!

Things to note: For those with toddlers, the suites didn't have utensils/plates, etc. so consider bringing any special cups/utensils for the kids. Also, I brought Culterelle for Kids (an over the counter probiotic), which helped one day when one of them had an upset stomach.

As another reviewer noted, the one annoyance was the daily push from Guest Services to attend the "it's not a timeshare presentation, but we still want you to buy into this program presentation." Sorry folks, I'm not attending a sales pitch on vacation. Travelers beware.

Overall, we really enjoyed this resort with our children and we would recommend it to others seeking a family friendly resort.

1 Thank lthamm
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First we would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, for your first international vacation with your Family; it is an honor for us to be part of those special moments.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities, your suite, to know that your little ones enjoyed the Kids zone and that you enjoyed our culinary experience and the variety.
Our main goal it the total satisfaction and relaxation of our guest, it is heartwarming read that we accomplish that mission during your stay in our Resort, Paradisus La Esmeralda has the strong committed to provide fun for the entire family and always worry for the little ones.

Will be an honor for us, host you here or in our Paradisus La Perla Playa del Carmen, we will pamper you and make you repeat the Paradisus Experience.

London
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Enough has been said about how good this place is for a family with young children. We were travelling with a two and a half year old boy and this hotel catered for our evey need. We loved the choice of restaurants, the selection of drinks, the pools, the beach and staff, not to mention the all day room service (perfect for a little two year old requiring snacks). This is a place that certainly knows how to do all inclusives.

We travelled at the end of May/ early June and the had 3 rain days in 10. The rain didn't affect us too much, but staff were surprised that it rained constantly as showers usually come in short bursts. We had no problem with the temperature of the pools, perfectly warm when the sun shone although a little chilly for some perhaps after the rains. The sea temperature was perfect too. must have been 27 or 28C...

One thing to be aware of... we had an issue with one of the tours we booked through Best Day (the travel desk). I basically was not happy at all with the information/description given for a tour I took. I won't go into the details of it here, but it was a proper mis-sell - what we were meant to see, we didnt etc. Fortunately Zezinho (the Chief Concierge) stepped in and was absolutely superb. In fact the best bit of management I've seen (and we've travelled over 40 countries). I must also mention Silvia of Best Day, who handled everything excellently.

Couple of other points -

One thing... I deliberated long and hard before booking whether to pay extra for the Family Conceirge. We didn't in the end and I am really glad we didnt as our 2 year old loved the pirate ship pool and the baby pool, so not sure how much time we would have spent as the Family Conceirge Pool, where there wasnt much happening. Money would better be spent on a room upgrade, in my opinion...

Finally don't be fooled by the entrance - when you drive in, it looks like you've taken the Service entrance, but it is the main entrance! Rest assured, it's completely different once you enter properly; grounds are immaculate...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Buggins
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for share your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, it a pleasure read that you had a great holiday in our Resort.

We are very glad to read that you enjoyed our culinary experience, the beach area, the pool area and know that our team was very helpful with you and your family, especially our Chief Concierge Zezinho, he works very hard to please and assist to all our guests, thank you very much for mention him.

We appreciate your observations, thank to your notes we can improve our service and know about your preferences.

Please if you decide to return to Playa del Carmen, will be an honor host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#22 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!