“Very nice place”

Ranked #33 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Very nice place”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just got back 10/4/13 . Reason's why I'd recommend this hotel .... 1) if don't like it when people get up early in morning to claim sunbed's , lounger's , co banners . If left for more than 1hour the pool Concierge or beach Concierge will remove it for other to use them which is a very good Policy . We did manage to get both at various times of the day the location of them sometimes good an not so good ??.... ( 2 ) food , theres , to buffet restaurant an to bbq grill 1 in family concierge very good 4* ??. An 1 in the main pool area ? Buffet food was good sometimes an not a lot to choose from at other times , but was still good . I give it 4 out of 5 . There's a number of À la cart restaurants that are very good .. 4 out of 5 ...?? Room services was good too , sometimes u wait long sometimes u don't .... 3.5 out of 5 ..... ?? ( 3 )...Rooms .. The cleaner dose her best in the morning an a little touch up in the evening mini bar was top up daily , very nice an comfortable an modern fully loaded...5 out of...5 ?? Some rooms have good views an alot don't , melia rooms on the top floor have a partial beach view an that's it , it's ever pool view or the jungle/mangroves .. 2.5 out of 5 ??..( 4 ) the service . All in all it was good we stayed in the family concierge side , we was very happy with everything that they had to offer it was a very nice experience in this part of the hotel . The main side was busy but , remember it was high season an the end of spring break to.Most staff on the hotel grounds are Helpful too ..4 out of 5 ?? .. ( 5 ) it's a very good hotel .

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Geeekee
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for write your comments about your recent stay in Paradisus La Esmeralda, Family Concierge area.

We feel very honored to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you enjoyed the variety of our restaurants, the Family Concierge Service, our facilities and the service provided for our team, we are very pleased to know that you had a nice holiday with us.

We appreciate all your notes, this is the only way that we can improve our service and learn with every experience, we really appreciate the time that you took to share your experience, and if you decide to come back, will be a pleasure to host you again.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,374)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Here is our family’s opinion on Paradisus La Esmeralda:
Pros:
Beautiful Property (modern and very tastefully decorated) and restaurants/bars
Pools:
We really liked the kid’s pool with the pirate ship. It’s deep enough for the adults to swim around while your kid plays in it, but very safe and so much fun for kids starting from 3-4 years of age.
Baby pool is great! Our friend’s baby was spending lots of time in the warm and very safe baby pool right next to the kid’s pool.
Big pool with the jumpers was great for the teenagers. So much fun! My 4 year old kid enjoyed this pool also and was getting lots of exercises jumping on the jumpers in the middle of the pool.
There were lots of other pools around the property, so if one would like to swim in total privacy with no kids around they could do it all day long.
The family Concierge Pool was very warm, so it worked for us only the first day, after that the weather was great, so we never even used it. It’s on a smaller side and has a pool bar.
Service:
Service was good overall. Most of the servers were nice and hard working. Since the property was fully booked it was hard to personally get to know most of the servers. However we want to personally thank Marcos from HydroGrill café in Family Concierge area. He was the most friendly, attentive and professional server. We ended up eating at HydroGrill every day for lunch because the food was just so delicious (thank you Ivis, Alex, Beatris, Cap Pablo, Grevonid, sorry for misspelling your names). They were serving the juiciest meat/fish/veggies prepared right on the coal grill and tastiest drinks and were served by our favorite server Marcos. Thank you guys for making our trip more special.
Location was very close from a very cool 5th Avenue if anyone feels like trying something different for a night out.
Night Entertainment was actually pretty great. They were really working hard to make it fun parties every night. The bar servers were really hard working and serving drinks pretty quick vs. other all-inclusive places.
Buffet was very decent. They had green juice and freshly prepared smoothies. The bread/cold cut/cheese selections were fine. The omelet stations were very quick and great (no big lines). Service in the buffet was also good. Tea selection was kind of poor (they served only Lipton tea).
The breach to the beach is gorgeous surrounded by all the trees and stones with lots of iguanas.
Kids club open from 9-10 in high season, which is great for some families who use it. We never did, but tons of kids did and they looked very happy and entertained.
Cons:
The Family Concierge service doesn’t make sense if you travel in high season and don’t need to use the heated pool. All they do is make your restaurant reservations (which you can make yourself and for the times you prefer by dialing 0). They gift the kids with a backpack and a cap (which doesn’t worth $1000 you pay for the service). You pretty much don’t see your concierge unless you page him if you need anything, it’s easier to take care of things yourself. It’s a total rip off if you ask me. The only good perk about Family Concierge is the lobby that has Nescafe Coffee machine and the fruits/snacks/alcohol bar and HydroGrill cafe. Also the rooms in Family Concierge area have the Nescafe Coffee machine and are in a more quiet building with the ocean view.
The beach is very small and the water was very dirty the last few days. It has lots of sharp stones inside the ocean, so you need to really watch out to not hurt yourself.
It’s pretty noisy starting from 7 am, there is no way someone can get a good sleep in the morning. I could hear every word our neighbor was saying.

Suggestions:
They close Kids Zone (which is very cool with lots of things to do) at 5 pm. It should close really late because in the morning kids are in the pool and then most of the kids get a nap (it’s too hot to be at that kids zone in the afternoon), but around 5—8 is the best time for the kids to spend in the kids zone and get some exercise and fun.
Pools close like at 6 or 7, which is so early! Some people really like to swim in the evening, why close them so early?
Please heat at least kids pool with pirate ship, then you would have tons of happy visitors!
Food is not great in the fancy restaurants. We might be a little spoiled with LA food, but they need to work on their menus specially Bana Fusion restaurant and Vento. The only decent food was in the Market, which is just a grilled meat, so it’s hard to spoil. It’s a gourmet selection for all-inclusive hotel, but the quality of preparations is really lucking. The drinks were fine and they were serving premium liquor. By the way service in Bana restaurant also wasn’t the greatest. However service in Vento was great.
That all said we would stay there again but with no family concierge option. I almost feel that I want to get my money back for family concierge service! The place has a very good energy, it’s not boring like in some resorts were you just swim and sleep. Lots of people around and lots of happy kids!

Room Tip: Take a room on a 3rd floor
3 Thank Traveler T
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay in Paradisus La Esmeralda.

For us it is an honor to read a review like yours, because thank to all your observations we can know what our guests experienced during the time with us, and we can know the suggestions and know their expectations.

We are very glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the décor, the several pool areas that we have, the benefits of Family Concierge, the night entertainment and the service provided for Marcos, Ivis, Alex, Beatriz and Marcos, it is an honor to have people like them working with us because thank to them we can make a memorable experience for our guests.

We appreciate your candid review and will be a pleasure to have you here again to repeat and overcome your first impression.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We picked out this hotel based on some previous reviews on how wonderful it is so our expectations were definitely high upon arriving. We booked the family concierge as we were traveling with two kids ages 3 and 5. Check-in was fast although we didn't get a cold towel or drink upon arriving as some of the other reviewers. We got to the hotel around 1pm..were told our room wont be ready till 3pm which was fine. The resort is pretty although seams run down for only being 2 years old. We booked an ocean view room which was nice and modern... you got see the mangroves from the balcony and a little of the ocean. It was further than we had pictured it... so not sure it was worth the extra money. The first 3 days were a nightmare! It was so crowded! The white cabanas by the FC pool were taken by 5am! We went down at 8 am the first time and got nothing. Not even a lounge chair. SO we were forced to wake up at 6 am to get a decent spot. Not our idea of a relaxing vacation. Also the pool water was very warm in that pool.. Now to the beach...t. It is a good 15 minutes walk one way from the resort and it's not great. Pretty narrow and lots of seaweed, rocks...and it's so far!! there are no bathrooms on the beach so you have to go back to the hotel to use one. And with two kids it was constant walking back and forth..Service was very inconsistent.. Drinks were just ok... Buffet food was cold by the time you sat down... It did get better after those 3 days. At least half of the quests must have left cause it felt empty compared to the beginning. Shockingly there were still cabanas available at 7 am! Now to the good.. our kids loved it! The family concierge set up a balloon bubble bath one evening for them, they got cookies and milk delivered to the room every night, the kids zone was great! Open from 9 am till 10 pm. We had a few dinners while our kids were taken care of. Restaurants were amazing! Food was really delicious and presented beautifully! But again service at restaurants was inconsistent. Same at the buffet. There were days we've waited 15 minutes for coffee and tea. But we always got great service from our favorite Alejandro...also Angel and Ivan. They were really making sure we had all we need. We loved the Market for lunch. It was closest to the beach so there was a nice breeze and great menu. Always something for the kids... pasta, pizza, corn dogs, fries ....you name it they had it! I would also like to mention that many of our issues in the first days were addressed by the management. They went above and beyond to make our stay more pleasant which we really appreciated. We didn't get to say good bye to our FC Manolo.. he was absent during our last two days.
Bottom line is our kids loved this place. And this is what makes us happy.

3 Thank arobaczek
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write your review about your recent stay in our Paradisus La Esmeralda.

It is very important to know about our guest´s perspective, this is the only way that we can learn and improve our service. We are glad to read all your observations and we assure you that we will be working on it, for example in the inconsistency of the service, because this is not a common situation.

On the other hand, it is very heartwarming to read, that you kids had so much fun with us, and that you can enjoyed the benefits of family concierge, the dining options that we offer and to learn that the service given for Alejandro, Angel, Ivan and Manolo was as you deserve it.

Thank you again for your notes, and please be confident that if you decide to come back you will see the improvement and your kids will love the place again.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was my first all-inclusive experience ever (unlimited food AND alcohol included, fancy restaurants and lots of pools in pictures? Wow, sign me up!!). My wife, our 7-month old baby (her first vacation), and I decided to join a few family members for this all-inclusive trip. A few of the family members had done multiple all-inclusives before, so we thought it was high time we checked one out as well based on their descriptions and reviews.
My expectations were perhaps too high - I figured if I'm paying all this good money up-front for a 4-4.5 star resort and everything's included, this has to be the most epic trip ever. But it didn't end up being this way, and here are a few of my detailed observations and experiences that stood out:

1. Upon check-in, I didn't feel like I received the feeling of welcome one would expect in a nice, upscale resort. I was handed a drink (non-alcohol), and before I could even have a few sips of it, I was getting nagged by the check-in lady (who was very slow in doing the check-in process) so that she could put a wristband on my arm. I stood next to her for 15-20 mins while I could have been relaxing with my family by the sofas until the lady figured out what she needed to do. I asked for a detailed listing of restaurants and where they're all located, and I was given a generic flyer with the names and that was about it - luckily, a family member had made reservations for us ahead of time, so we didn't have to go through scrambling together a whole bunch of reservations during our stay.
2. Once we were finally checked in, we got walked to our room by the concierge assigned to us - I thought he would be helpful and point out the restaurants as we walked towards our room, but he basically contributed nothing to the experience. (I found out later from a family member who's done this before) that his main objective was to grab some time out of our schedules and try to give us a spiel about investing in timeshares - I'm really glad I didn't give him the time of day after that initial meeting.
3. The room (Master swim-up) was in good presentation when we checked in (at least for now - more on this later). For some reason, I was given the impression by other family members that our room would be stocked with a bottle of wine (along with the other alcoholic beverages in our mini-fridge). But there were none. This is where I started to feel like the resort didn't really go that extra mile to make us feel welcome. Not only was there nothing special to add a personal touch to our room, the staff didn't even give anything to our baby as a sign of welcome (perhaps a small toy, a balloon, just to keep her entertained). It's not a big deal, but it's small gestures like these that can enhance a family's experience and leave a great impression.
4. Within a few hours of check-in is when we really started to experience the worst part of our whole trip. Our room had a stubborn, musty, sewer-like stench in the living room (keep in mind this is where the baby's crib would be for 7 days). I immediately called the front desk and asked them to take a look - the response was definitely slow which was consistent throughout our whole trip. Eventually, the 'building architect' also showed up and walked around. It was concluded that the issue was of moist air flowing from the bathroom back into the living room, instead of being routed outside - just disgusting. I saw the maintenance folks try to repair from the outside by opening up a wall panel and doing some work, but with all the language translation issues, nobody could really explain what was being done and if that would solve the issue. This issue, in short, never got resolved - I would call up the Front Desk at least twice every day since the smell just kept coming back from the A/C vents. At one point, we would just ask them to spray air freshener just to mask the smell. All this while, I had already asked them from Day 1 to move us to a separate room, but they didn't have a response - my guess is the resort was so overfilled that was not an option (but they never conveyed that message to me directly). The resort pretty much dropped the ball on this one - nobody would ever check back if the issue was resolved - I think they hoped that we forget about the issue and not keep asking them about it.
5. Walls are extremely thin in the rooms - my mom was in a Jr. suite in another building, and she mentioned she could hear her neighbor snoring every night (for 6 nights straight!). This is a problem also with having little kids as they might get disturbed by noise from neighboring rooms.
6. Minor point but there was a serious lack of trash cans in the rooms. And more importantly, they were tiny! With a baby traveling with us, just a couple of empty water bottles + a dirty diaper was enough to needing the trash can emptied.
7. Wi-Fi coverage was very poor and spotty at best. I had my iPhone and iPad, and they would constantly be booted off the network as soon as I put them away after use. At several areas of the resort, I could not even get coverage.
8. Only 2 wall sockets to plug in phone chargers etc in the master bedroom (and one of them already had the bedside lamp plugged in). Really confused why there was a serious shortage of wall sockets - very inconvenient.
9. Flush on the toilet was just horrible - it actually broke the first night we stayed there as well. We had to get somebody to repair the flush as the toilet tank sounded like it kept running all night, never filling the tank properly. The flush is an old type of '2-button' press-on type ones in an awkward position (right in the middle of the toilet tank that you have to have your arm reach around). What day and age are these toilets from?? Definitely not a 4-star resort toilet.
10. This part really annoyed me about the bars on property, and I tried all the major ones (Gabi, North Ave, South Ave, BlueAgave, poolside etc) - nobody carried the proper margarita glasses to serve a margarita in!! I understand pool side bars needing to serve them in plastic cups (which were heavily diluted due to ice, btw), but even the nicer/proper bars didn't carry margarita glasses! I'm in Mexico at a 4-star resort claiming to be at my service - I want a well-presented Margarita - period!
11. Room service delivery times very unpredictable - on our first day, our lunch took a long time to come ( ~ 1 hour). My mom ordered room service in her room, and it never even came!
12. Turn down service was non-existent on the first night. I have stayed in nice hotels before where the turn-down service consists, in addition to basic cleaning and turning down the sheets, of dimming down the lights in the room and setting the radio to a station playing a soothing set of tunes. The dimming and radio turning ON was clearly too much to ask for - I couldn't even get them to show up consistently (I had to make special requests to get the cleaner to show up early enough such that our baby would still be awake and we could make the dinner reservation times).
13. Poor service at the beach - at one point, I even went to get the food by the grill at the beach entrance myself because nobody was coming by to take orders or even deliver towels. When I got to the grill, I waited in the heat for close to 30 mins (there were only 3 of us in line) because the chef was too busy preparing orders for the server to take to the beach - where was he taking all these orders to? We certainly did not have anybody come by taking orders anywhere close to our area (and it was in the main area, not isolated off on the far ends of the beach!)
14. Yhi Spa - I got a relaxation massage there and found the facility and services to be very nice. I guess when you end up paying for something there, it ends up being better than everything else that's 'included' already.

All in all, the concept of the all-inclusive is great since one doesn't need to think about meals/drinks, but at this specific resort, I felt that it fell short on service, amenities, and overall presentation. I thought this was supposed to be a fairly new resort, which is why I even booked here in the first place, but it definitely didn't live up to expectations. Not planning on returning to this area again.

Room Tip: Don't go for swim-ups close to where all the entertainment is happening, if you have kids (very...
6 Thank ssushukla
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback about your recent stay in our Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We assure you that all your observations will be taken into consideration and forwarded to the respective heads of the departments involved Front desk, Food and Beverage, Housekeeping and Maintenance. Our guest’s reviews are very important to us because they give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. We are sorry to read that we did not accomplish our main goal, which is the total satisfaction of our guests

We regret that we did not cause to you a good first impression; we assure you that if you give us other opportunity we will exceed your expectations and we will make you live the real Paradisus Experience.

Toronto
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Thought I would share our experience here as I relied on everyone else's reviews to find this resort.

We stayed for 5 nights, my husband, myself, 3 yr old and 11 month old in the Family concierge section of the hotel in the Junior suite. We were greeted with a cold towel and a welcome drink while we were checking in. Manolo was our concierge helped us with everything we needed. He was off for a day and we saw no sign of the replacement concierge Monica who was supposed to come and introduce herself and confirm reservations for dinner (which obviously didn't happen). That was okay because Naos - the buffet was great.

Rooms: Room was very nice, it was cleaned daily, towels replaced, water replenished. A bit small of a room for the 4 of us, since we had a crib and the cot for our son. We didnt spend too much time in the room so it was ok. Jacuzzi was nice and the balcony was useful once we put the kids to bed. Turn down service came too late for us (around 8-9pm) as the kids were already in bed by that time.

Food: Food was terrific! We didn't get a chance to get to most of the restaurants, but the Market was good (perhaps too much meat for my liking..but husband enjoyed it), Bana Teppanaki was a good show and good food. Vento - not so wonderful.. it was very nice but my husband ordered the Pork Tenderloin and was violently sick all night. I ordered the mushroom risotto, was very good but very rich.. couldn't finish it. We went to Naos each day for breakfast and we were lucky to have Alejandro be our server for 3 of the days we were there. He remembered our boys names and was very attentive. I brought most of the food for our 11 month old and our 3 year old always found something to eat (and children's menus at restaurants). One hint about Naos for breakfast time is to go around 7:30am...on our last day we didnt get there until about 9am and most options were gone and was quite busy.

Beach: This was a bit of a disappointment for us mostly b/c of the clarity of it.. it was quite dirty and way too much seaweed for me to even walk up to my knees. It could have been the days we were there (April 10-15) but even in front of the family concierge section was not a nice area/water wise. The servers were always attentive, but we spent most of our time at the pool. The water was way more clear towards the public part of the beach.

Pool: Spent most of our time at the Family Concierge pool. Hector at the bar was wonderful and also Marcos and Gregorio were very attentive. They brought food from other restaurants to us poolside (fajitas were wonderful) and drinks were delicious. Premium alcohol if you ask for it. The weather was very hot while we were there and the FC pool was also very hot and barely refreshing... Our son really enjoyed the pirate ship pool which was cooler. Our first two days there we realized that you have to play the towel game in order to get a spot by the FC pool. My husband went down around 6-7am and was able to get a bed. I did see employees cleaning up towels if there weren't any personal belongings on the beds. I also recommend not wearing bathing suits with white in them as my son's shirt and 2 of my bathing suits turned green (on the white parts). Hopefully comes out in the wash...

We did not use the kids club as our 11 month old was too young and our 3 year old (almost 4) was too shy. I think he wouldve had more fun with the older kids.

All in all was a wonderful trip and we had a very good time!

1 Thank TO_Bride
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you had a wonderful trip and that you had a good time with your family, thank you for share your experience with us, our guest's opinion are very important for us, because it is the only way to improve our service.

Manolo, Alejandro, Hector, Marcos and Gregorio will be glad to know that they caused a good impression on you during your stayed in our Paradisus La Esmeralda, provide an excellent service is one of our highest standards and we are proud to have people like them working with us.

Once again thank you very much for write your review on Trip Advisor, will be a truly honor have you here in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in a jr suite. The room was a good size for a family of 3, ( 2 1/2 year old daughter, me and my husband). The property is large. the pool and kids club were great for our 2 yr old. They offered food options for kids, which was great.

As far as service:
Our room wasn't cleaned the 2nd night by 5:30pm . We had to call to request our room cleaned, as we were on our way to dinner. Room cleaning according to the concierge was suppose to be before 4pm. Needless to say we never got turn down that night or the next. The following nights turndown was attempted at 9:45pm, when we already had our little one in bed. It's a family resort, so it should have definitely been done a lot sooner.

The next dilemma was with concierge right outside the main check-in desk/lobby. We asked if she could make reservations for dinner at Mole, Bana, and Vento for the next few nights. She took down our room number and our reservation request and told us she would call by 6pm that night to confirm. We never got a call. So we went down to Mole to see if we could get a table for 6pm that night. They said they were booked. We looked in the dining room and there were about 5 tables. The hostess said they had more reservations booked for 7pm and couldn't give us a table. So we went to the buffet dinner, and left there by 7:30pm. We walked by Mole to see less than 1/2 the restaurant filled. The resort plays games with reservations in the ala carte restaurants, to force more guests to eat at the buffet restaurant.

We complained to Jose the front manager about the reservations and the fact that we were told at checkin that we were put in the family concierge area which included the benefits of it. However we were apparently misinformed about that by a new girl at the front lobby when we checked in. Which would explain why whenever we talked to the girls at the family concierge desk, they would take a look at our wrist bands and immediately brush us off and cut us short if we asked them a question.

We ordered room service one day around 4:30pm. It never arrived. At by 6pm we just went down to the buffet dinner. We thought it might be waiting for us in our room, when we got back, but it never showed up. We called to complain and they attempted to deliver it at 9pm at night. The man that delivered it blamed it on the people taking the orders on the phone. But he did apologize for the mix up.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as service goes. We expected 5 star treatment, based on the positive stellar reviews. But they fell very short. Oliver, another manager, was very understanding and tried to make it up to us towards the end of our stay. This helped and his effort was greatly appreciated. But in the end, it was not the vacation we expected to have. But we made the most of it, despite the lack of service. I don't think this property deserves to be 4 1/2 star. The property is, but service is more like 2 1/2 and food is 3 1/2.

8 Thank Karen S
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our appreciation for sharing your impressions of your recent vacation in Paradisus La Esmeralda. Our guest’s reviews are very important to us because they give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We assure you that what occurred is not at all a common situation and in no way representative or our overall service.

We took good note of your observations and discussed the issues with the various Department Managers in order to take the appropriate measures and avoid situations, such as you described, in the future.

As you mentioned the property it is great, and we assure you that if you give us other opportunity, we can change your perception and we can show you how is the real Paradisus Experience.

New Jersey
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful week at the resort. Enjoyed the spaciousness of the rooms, the nice beach and particularly the lunch at the Sunrise Shack with Wilbert.

Although restaurants were varied, we found Bana to the best for quality and we went three out of the six nights.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tterb L
Dear Guest

Thank you for write about your recent experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are glad to read that you had a wonderful vacations with you family, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed the spaciousness of the rooms, the beach, the different restaurants and that you enjoyed the service provided for Wilbert. We will share with him your review.

Once again thank you very much for took your time, and will be happy to host you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!