“Best family experience”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #30 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were 3 of us including my 3 year old, all of us agree that the experience was nothing short of amazing. We stayed at the family concierge and it was outstanding service. Our little one probably had more fun than us, it was a such a blast for her that she wants to go back soon. Lucy & Jessy at the kids zone kept her occupied and she had so much fun with them that she still talks about them.The beach side service,butler service, the restaurants especially the "Bana" all we're amazing. There service at the Naos restaurant (Jerimeo) and the way they take care of you was fantastic. There was absolutely no negative to this property. We would go back there again!!!.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear guest,

We can read between the lines from your comment that you were even smiling when you were writing your review, remembering your 3 year old good times at the resort.

We are happy to know that your family and yourself were able to live the Paradisus experience and you loved it. Lucy, Jessy and Jeronimo will be informed about your recognition to their outstanding job. All of them are a true example of the warm service we strive to provide everyday in our resort.

Please remember that in Family Concierge you will find your home away from home in front of the Mexican Caribbean.

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (7,711)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We just returned from Paradisus La Esmeralda and La Perla. Let me start by saying "WOW" The resorts are well planned with a unique modern elegant design. The staff is very friendly and professional.There are many fine restaurants to choice from with gracious service and wonderful cuisine. We really enjoyed Fuego and Bana Fusion Restaurants. We had great service from our waiters Ivan Delgado and Eliezer Medina at Naos buffet and Juan Botones at the Market Grill. Our room was a spacious master suite at the vacation club section. Lolita from vacation club lounge was so helpful in planning our vacation before and during our entire stay. Griselda was amazing with all her expertise help and planning. When we were at the La Perla Royal Service the bartender at the Palapa Restaurant Luis Alberto made us speciality drinks with kind service. At the pool bar, the bartenders Melquiades and Jorge served us happily everyday.The Palapa Restaurant service was impeccable especially our waiters Reneau and Ivan. We were greated daily by the hostess Andrea who always had a smile and a warm greeting for us. Fernando made sure we had a pool bed made up daily with an opened umbrella for my husband. Passions restaurant is a must. The food and wine pairing was superb with gracious expertise service. The mgr. Pierre was extremely helpful with his suggestions. Oliver,the guest service mgr.and Verlucia from family concierge greatly contributed to making our vacation memorable. We enjoyed the top notch nightly shows. The resort exceeded our expectations. We look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms are spacious and well appointed. We were on the 2nd floor. There are swim up rooms as wel...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glegler777

Dear guest,

Wow, you remember the names from all the staff members you had contact with. Thank you very much for that. It really means you were delighted by the service provided by all of them and of course we will share your notes with them. Our staff works hard every day to pamper our guests and by your comments we can see they did it with you.

We appreciate you took the time to share your incredible Paradisus experience, including our original facilities, quality restaurants, entertaining shows and your suites´ comfort.
We will be waiting for you with our arms wide open.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I am one of the 14 people listed in the prior review (3 families). We had an incredible stay and the service was amazing! We were pampered from the minute we stepped off the shuttle. Fuego is the best restaurant by far, probably one of the best in the world! A big shout out to Griselda and Alicia for understanding what hospitality truly means... They are superstars! Thank you

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jolag1

Dear guest,

We are proud to have personnel as attentive and customer oriented like Griselda and Alicia at the Club Meliá desk. Definitely we will transfer your notes to them and be sure that they will keep their service vocation to pamper you again during your next vacations with us, at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Thank you for your notes and receive warm regards from Plata del Carmen.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a great trip we had. We were very happy with the hotel! It is only 1 year old so everything is new, clean and cool looking. the decor is fantastic, on the website I thought it was computer generated images, but it does, in fact, look exactly like that. The staff is very good, most speak english, but if not, it is still easy enough to communicate. I recommend bringing 5$ bills to every meal to tip your waitress/waiter, then the next time they will know you and will bring you what you want without even asking. The quality of alcohol changes too once you tip. Plus, 15$ a day to you (if you are going to this hotel) is not a significant amount, but for them it is and they greatly appreciate it. We had a swim up suite and it was fantastic. The jacuzzi tub on the balcony was to die for. The SPA... don't even get me started, though for that price it is what you can expect. The only annoying part was the time-share tour, we declined the tour politely right away and the gentleman was a bit pushy, but all hotels in mexico do that so it's nothing new. we didnt want to waste even 1,5 hours (that they promise it is, though i highly doubt it), so it was ok. the beach was a bit rocky but if you walked a couple of feet it was fine. we have no complaints at all, everything was fantastic!!
I would like to mention the fantastic service that we have received from the following employees of the hotel:
Everardo Cortes- swim up bar where the inflatable obstacle course is
Alejandro- red lounge bar
Mireya Rangel-customer service
Tony Taboada-Vento restaurant(outstanding waiter, HIGHLY recommend)
Alba Karina- North Ave bar
Enrique Evelio Darwin at the breakfast restaurant.

We LOVED everything about the trip and will definitely return again!

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom swim up suite. It was away from the main pool so it was more quiet then the oth...
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I visited Paradisus Playa del Carmen for the second time in a year. It was marvelous the first time, and, perhaps even better the second time. The resort is immaculately kept up, the staff make you feel so welcome, and the food is marvelous. The nightly entertainment is the best I've seen at a resort. There are enough activities to keep you entertained, but no pressure to participate if you want to chill.

Special thanks to Darwin, Enrique and Luvelio (sp?) in Naos and also to Vivi at La Perla pool area.

I visited with my mother this time, and will be back with my husband in a couple of months. I can't wait.

Room Tip: I don't think are any bad rooms. I had pool view at La Esmeralda and it was wonderful.
3  Thank Kimberly R
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear guest,

It is great t oread that you decided to visit us again for the second time in a year. That can only mean one thing: we surpassed your expectations in all ways.

Our activities program was created in order to keep all of our guests happy, entertained and even learning interesting things. We are pleased to read that you took advantage of it.
We will be waiting for your return with your husband during the following months.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I waited a while before writing this review. Let me just say overall I enjoyed the trip. This is the first time that we have stayed at a large property as I normally prefer smaller venues. The standout of the facility is the choices for dining I truly enjoyed this aspect, Passion, Fuego even snacks at the bar where are nice touches. Once you got the hang to the all inclusive any beverage that you wanted you could find. However, the check in and check out where marred because of the reservation system. I read a number of reviews that had the same issue and I would implore this property to rethink the system or sue the folks who sold it you because it is terrible. I booked the reservation through an auction site paid in full up front months before the vacation and Paradisus never found that our reservation was paid for. We were asked at check-in, check-out and after we got home could provide proof of reservation and I emailed the receipt at least 5 times. The front desk never received it. This issue put me on edge during what should have been a relaxing vacation that was sorely needed.
On positive note, decor was nice, all the staff really enthusiastic and helpful, spa was lacking, room service on the Family Comceirge side where stellar. We assigned a room there all though just a couple so we spent most of our time on La Perla side. If I was advising someone I would suggest the swim up suites as the outdoor jacuzzi is awkward as there is absolutely no privacy from room to common areas.
My advice is to wait until this property works the kinks out unless there is a phenomenal deal and you are prepared for some bumps. Sorry.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fmjmemphis
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

We are sorry to read that due a misunderstanding between the reservation system you used to book your holidays and our front desk, your overall experience was tarnish and you did not get the relaxing experience you were hoping for. We will investigate what happened with the communication. Definitely it should not be that way.

On the other hand, it is pleasant to read that you could enjoy all the facilities, the attentive service from our staff members, the delicacies offered at our specialty restaurants and some tasty cocktails at our diverse bars.

We are sure that on your next Paradisus experience, you will start your vacations since the moment you reserve your room.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was a little afraid of going to the resort as some of the reviews from November and December were not that stellar but was very pleasantly surprised how wonderful the people and resort were! We flew down with our son, his wife and our daughter , her husband and two young children. My son was very pleased with his swim up room and we had reserved a one bedroom suite for my daughter. The one bedroom was lovely but they initially were not to thrilled with the two double beds. It was close to the restaurants and pool which made it easier for them to bring the kids to breakfast and dinner. The first night we arrived was my Gran-daughter's 4th birthday and the staff at the Brazilian threw her a wonderful last minute birthday party! We had a lovely room in back of the resort facing the tennis court. I initially was not happy with the view but being on the ground floor we had a lovely, large patio. The room was very large, very clean and comfortable. My husband discovered after a few days that the comforter was duck down and they came in to change it to a non-allergenic coverlet. The bath tub was huge and we loved the shower. I must say we never ran out of hot water to clean up with after being on the beach that we always seem to encounter at other resorts. The maid was wonderful and my only complaint would be filling up the bar fridge every day. Often it was not done and we either called room service who came with water or got some from my son. The pools were lovely and yes coolish but it never seemed to stop people from swimming and my Grand children seemed to live in the water. The food and drink service around the pool was exceptional. Thank you Bernabe and Anna (Annaly). They were always so wonderful and brought the little ones pop corn and candies. The Kids Club was also the best we have ever encountered. The staff were incredible with the kids. They even came out with from the club to play with the kids by the pool. Thank you to Ariel, I believe he is a trainee with the Kids Club who came out and made balloon animals for the kids. They were so excited and he was also great at entertaining and playing with them. The staff were also out doing face-painting with the kids and one at the Kids Club even had the patience to put in french braids on my Grand-daughter who actually has not much hair! I was a little worried when reviews said the beach was very narrow. We were just in "regular" rooms not the adults only or family upgrade. The beach was wider there and they had three rows of lounging chairs and adjustable umbrellas. You just had to walk a dash to the left to swim where there was no coral or rocks. While the beach beverage service was great you just had to walk to the beach entrance to get food which was handy. A very long beach to walk along which we really enjoyed. It just took us 1/2 hour to walk into Playa along the beach. We never had any problems getting beach chairs or chairs around the pool and we were a large group of 8. We also liked the beach as they did not blast annoying music. My only complaint would be, and they are aware of it, is that there are no washroom facilities down by the beach. Fine for men who could sneak into the Mangroves but not easy for women! At other hotels I have found the restaurants poor in quality but the restaurants here were very good. We had no problems with reservations except if you asked for a certain time it was always 1/2 an hour earlier or later that it was available. No problem. It was also easy to make reservations as instead of just one reservation person, a number were available. They just tried to talk you into the Club Melia, which was fine, we just smiled and ignored it. Thank you to Cecilio at Mole and Eduardo Chuc at Vento. They gave us great service. Also to Alejandro and Rigoberto at the buffet Naos who always remembered what we needed in the morning. While the buffet was smaller and plainer than other hotels the food was fine. We were just a little stunned that on some evenings it was closed. I think it was because they had to move staff to service the conventions being held there. The design of the hotel is very modern and restful. My husband and I found it a bit dark at night but it didn't bother the rest of the family. The "Michael Jackson" show was incredible! We saw it twice as we were there for two weeks and were amazed at the dancers. Check-in and check-out was very quick. I just think on check-out the lady should have said, I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you come back. Instead of do you want to donate to UNICEF and then cut us short. Would we go back? In a flash. When we arrived back home to the incredible cold, my Grandson wanted to stay on the plane so he could go back to the hotel. I felt the same way. I think it was worth every penny we paid for it and found it the best all-inclusive we have stayed at and we have stayed at a lot! The staff are exceptional!!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view if possible. We don't think it would be worth paying extra for the family se...
2  Thank pottylorraine

Dear guest,

We want to thank you for your confidence in selecting Paradisus La Esmeralda for your holidays after reading a lot of previous travelers’ reviews.

We are completely glad to read that Paradisus La Esmeralda went beyond your expectations regarding, room comfort, facilities in general and the exceptional service provided by our staff. We will transmit your recognition about their outstanding work at their specific working areas, creating significant family moments and in general they were an important part of your whole experience.

We would love to host you again in the near future and thank you again for your kind words and for your visit. It was a pleasure for all of us to count with your presence in our little piece of Paradise.