“What an amazing trip”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Laurel, Maryland
“What an amazing trip”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a great trip we had. We were very happy with the hotel! It is only 1 year old so everything is new, clean and cool looking. the decor is fantastic, on the website I thought it was computer generated images, but it does, in fact, look exactly like that. The staff is very good, most speak english, but if not, it is still easy enough to communicate. I recommend bringing 5$ bills to every meal to tip your waitress/waiter, then the next time they will know you and will bring you what you want without even asking. The quality of alcohol changes too once you tip. Plus, 15$ a day to you (if you are going to this hotel) is not a significant amount, but for them it is and they greatly appreciate it. We had a swim up suite and it was fantastic. The jacuzzi tub on the balcony was to die for. The SPA... don't even get me started, though for that price it is what you can expect. The only annoying part was the time-share tour, we declined the tour politely right away and the gentleman was a bit pushy, but all hotels in mexico do that so it's nothing new. we didnt want to waste even 1,5 hours (that they promise it is, though i highly doubt it), so it was ok. the beach was a bit rocky but if you walked a couple of feet it was fine. we have no complaints at all, everything was fantastic!!
I would like to mention the fantastic service that we have received from the following employees of the hotel:
Everardo Cortes- swim up bar where the inflatable obstacle course is
Alejandro- red lounge bar
Mireya Rangel-customer service
Tony Taboada-Vento restaurant(outstanding waiter, HIGHLY recommend)
Alba Karina- North Ave bar
Enrique Evelio Darwin at the breakfast restaurant.

We LOVED everything about the trip and will definitely return again!

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom swim up suite. It was away from the main pool so it was more quiet then the oth...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I visited Paradisus Playa del Carmen for the second time in a year. It was marvelous the first time, and, perhaps even better the second time. The resort is immaculately kept up, the staff make you feel so welcome, and the food is marvelous. The nightly entertainment is the best I've seen at a resort. There are enough activities to keep you entertained, but no pressure to participate if you want to chill.

Special thanks to Darwin, Enrique and Luvelio (sp?) in Naos and also to Vivi at La Perla pool area.

I visited with my mother this time, and will be back with my husband in a couple of months. I can't wait.

Room Tip: I don't think are any bad rooms. I had pool view at La Esmeralda and it was wonderful.
3 Thank Kimberly R
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear guest,

It is great t oread that you decided to visit us again for the second time in a year. That can only mean one thing: we surpassed your expectations in all ways.

Our activities program was created in order to keep all of our guests happy, entertained and even learning interesting things. We are pleased to read that you took advantage of it.
We will be waiting for your return with your husband during the following months.

Memphis
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I waited a while before writing this review. Let me just say overall I enjoyed the trip. This is the first time that we have stayed at a large property as I normally prefer smaller venues. The standout of the facility is the choices for dining I truly enjoyed this aspect, Passion, Fuego even snacks at the bar where are nice touches. Once you got the hang to the all inclusive any beverage that you wanted you could find. However, the check in and check out where marred because of the reservation system. I read a number of reviews that had the same issue and I would implore this property to rethink the system or sue the folks who sold it you because it is terrible. I booked the reservation through an auction site paid in full up front months before the vacation and Paradisus never found that our reservation was paid for. We were asked at check-in, check-out and after we got home could provide proof of reservation and I emailed the receipt at least 5 times. The front desk never received it. This issue put me on edge during what should have been a relaxing vacation that was sorely needed.
On positive note, decor was nice, all the staff really enthusiastic and helpful, spa was lacking, room service on the Family Comceirge side where stellar. We assigned a room there all though just a couple so we spent most of our time on La Perla side. If I was advising someone I would suggest the swim up suites as the outdoor jacuzzi is awkward as there is absolutely no privacy from room to common areas.
My advice is to wait until this property works the kinks out unless there is a phenomenal deal and you are prepared for some bumps. Sorry.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fmjmemphis
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

We are sorry to read that due a misunderstanding between the reservation system you used to book your holidays and our front desk, your overall experience was tarnish and you did not get the relaxing experience you were hoping for. We will investigate what happened with the communication. Definitely it should not be that way.

On the other hand, it is pleasant to read that you could enjoy all the facilities, the attentive service from our staff members, the delicacies offered at our specialty restaurants and some tasty cocktails at our diverse bars.

We are sure that on your next Paradisus experience, you will start your vacations since the moment you reserve your room.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was a little afraid of going to the resort as some of the reviews from November and December were not that stellar but was very pleasantly surprised how wonderful the people and resort were! We flew down with our son, his wife and our daughter , her husband and two young children. My son was very pleased with his swim up room and we had reserved a one bedroom suite for my daughter. The one bedroom was lovely but they initially were not to thrilled with the two double beds. It was close to the restaurants and pool which made it easier for them to bring the kids to breakfast and dinner. The first night we arrived was my Gran-daughter's 4th birthday and the staff at the Brazilian threw her a wonderful last minute birthday party! We had a lovely room in back of the resort facing the tennis court. I initially was not happy with the view but being on the ground floor we had a lovely, large patio. The room was very large, very clean and comfortable. My husband discovered after a few days that the comforter was duck down and they came in to change it to a non-allergenic coverlet. The bath tub was huge and we loved the shower. I must say we never ran out of hot water to clean up with after being on the beach that we always seem to encounter at other resorts. The maid was wonderful and my only complaint would be filling up the bar fridge every day. Often it was not done and we either called room service who came with water or got some from my son. The pools were lovely and yes coolish but it never seemed to stop people from swimming and my Grand children seemed to live in the water. The food and drink service around the pool was exceptional. Thank you Bernabe and Anna (Annaly). They were always so wonderful and brought the little ones pop corn and candies. The Kids Club was also the best we have ever encountered. The staff were incredible with the kids. They even came out with from the club to play with the kids by the pool. Thank you to Ariel, I believe he is a trainee with the Kids Club who came out and made balloon animals for the kids. They were so excited and he was also great at entertaining and playing with them. The staff were also out doing face-painting with the kids and one at the Kids Club even had the patience to put in french braids on my Grand-daughter who actually has not much hair! I was a little worried when reviews said the beach was very narrow. We were just in "regular" rooms not the adults only or family upgrade. The beach was wider there and they had three rows of lounging chairs and adjustable umbrellas. You just had to walk a dash to the left to swim where there was no coral or rocks. While the beach beverage service was great you just had to walk to the beach entrance to get food which was handy. A very long beach to walk along which we really enjoyed. It just took us 1/2 hour to walk into Playa along the beach. We never had any problems getting beach chairs or chairs around the pool and we were a large group of 8. We also liked the beach as they did not blast annoying music. My only complaint would be, and they are aware of it, is that there are no washroom facilities down by the beach. Fine for men who could sneak into the Mangroves but not easy for women! At other hotels I have found the restaurants poor in quality but the restaurants here were very good. We had no problems with reservations except if you asked for a certain time it was always 1/2 an hour earlier or later that it was available. No problem. It was also easy to make reservations as instead of just one reservation person, a number were available. They just tried to talk you into the Club Melia, which was fine, we just smiled and ignored it. Thank you to Cecilio at Mole and Eduardo Chuc at Vento. They gave us great service. Also to Alejandro and Rigoberto at the buffet Naos who always remembered what we needed in the morning. While the buffet was smaller and plainer than other hotels the food was fine. We were just a little stunned that on some evenings it was closed. I think it was because they had to move staff to service the conventions being held there. The design of the hotel is very modern and restful. My husband and I found it a bit dark at night but it didn't bother the rest of the family. The "Michael Jackson" show was incredible! We saw it twice as we were there for two weeks and were amazed at the dancers. Check-in and check-out was very quick. I just think on check-out the lady should have said, I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you come back. Instead of do you want to donate to UNICEF and then cut us short. Would we go back? In a flash. When we arrived back home to the incredible cold, my Grandson wanted to stay on the plane so he could go back to the hotel. I felt the same way. I think it was worth every penny we paid for it and found it the best all-inclusive we have stayed at and we have stayed at a lot! The staff are exceptional!!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view if possible. We don't think it would be worth paying extra for the family se...
2 Thank pottylorraine
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for your confidence in selecting Paradisus La Esmeralda for your holidays after reading a lot of previous travelers’ reviews.

We are completely glad to read that Paradisus La Esmeralda went beyond your expectations regarding, room comfort, facilities in general and the exceptional service provided by our staff. We will transmit your recognition about their outstanding work at their specific working areas, creating significant family moments and in general they were an important part of your whole experience.

We would love to host you again in the near future and thank you again for your kind words and for your visit. It was a pleasure for all of us to count with your presence in our little piece of Paradise.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

As I'm reading the other reviews, I can't help thinking that there are as many opinions as there are people in the world and a hotel can never meet everyone's expectations 100% of the time. That being said, I had the great privilege of staying at this resort (La Esmeralda) for a week and I'm thrilled to report that I had an extraordinary experience that surpassed all my expectations. I hope my comments help you decide to go there...

ARRIVAL: I was met at the Reception Desk by Giovanni, a very pleasant young man who checked me in right away (and who also happen to facilitate my check-out). I asked if I could have a room on the second floor. He said a room was ready right away for me on the ground floor. He did mention he could make a change but I would have to wait a few hours. He invited me to go check it out & come back if I decided to change. Thank You Giovanni, I much preferred the ground floor room and even though I was at the back, I enjoyed spending quiet time on the balcony throughout the week.

Note to the guests staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor: when you smoke & throw your cigarettes off the balcony, they can end up on the chairs below & burn them (which is what I figured out happened when I noticed the next day that the chairs had burn marks on them & cigarettes were found under them). Please be respectful of others' properties!!!

ROOM LAYOUT AND DECOR
The Luxury Jr. Suite was very modern, comfortable AND spacious. The decor is pleasant and functional. I absolutely loved the shower AND I was surprised to see a huge bathtub. The King Size bed with numerous large pillows was awesome (I slept so well) and the sliding doors between the bathroom & room area add a nice sort of Asian touch. I particularly appreciated the fact that the A/C system was unusually quiet, almost imperceptible and the temperature was just right. Towels and accessories were replaced every single day, sometimes twice a day. My room was cleaned and taken care of on a timely basis... thank you Evangelina (it was lovely to chat with you)!

At some point, there were no more facecloths so I called housekeeping. Within 10-15 minutes, someone showed up to deliver them....AND I received a call-back to make sure I had received them...I was impressed.

MINI-BAR
Stocked with beer, soft drinks, water (even bubbly water), chips, cookies, coffee... replaced every day. Whenever I wanted something, I left a note & when I came back it was there!

WIFI
Congratulations for offering FREE WiFi everywhere on the grounds and in the rooms for the entire stay, no other strings or fees attached! As someone mentioned, other big chains charge exorbitant prices which is totally out of touch with today's modern traveler who wants to stay connected. As this was partly a business trip, I needed to be on-line so I could keep an eye on things at my company and respond to clients requests, if necessary. This adds tremendous value for me!

FOOD - MEALS
The day I arrived, I had a little snack at the Sunrise Grill near the pool and was thrilled to discover there was fresh salad & vegetables. The service was quick, friendly and lunch was very good. That evening, I was celebrating my birthday and after a very tasty meal, the staff brought me a lovely plate with small cakes & "Happy Birthday Daniela". Since I was alone, I practiced some Spanish with the staff and we had lots of laughs (thank you to Eduardo, Manuel and a few others for providing the little extra that made the evening special). I had dinner at La Palapa restaurant another night, where I sampled the Duck Confit as an appetizer and the Pork dish as the main course... both were extremely well prepared and the service was impeccable (thank you Jorge). The rest of the time, I mostly had meals at Naos & the Market where you can find three or four kinds of FRESH LETTUCE, a multitude of VEGETABLES (even beets), delicious fruit-based dressings, and at least 5 or 6 different dishes every single day. The food is extremely varied and very, very good.

I also kept practicing Spanish at Naos with the staff. Thanks to Rigoberto, Elizer, Gilberto, Domingo, Evelio, Cham, Reyes, Alvaro, Ivan, Alejandro for teaching me a whole bunch of words I had forgotten AND thank you for your excellent, courteous and friendly service. I have to mention that I was particularly moved by Senorita Ixchel who prepared my smoothies almost every morning and who gave me a lovely goodbye gift (a chocolate crepe with strawberries which she knew were my favourite). That small gesture was priceless & it's one of the best things I'll remember the most.

SPA
Another memorable experience. I enjoyed speaking with the young lady who explained the services and told me how she loves her job because the beach is her office (I think her name was Alexa)!!! I finally chose the "Mineral Body Treatment & Massage". I'm forever grateful to Sonia, the therapist who gave me all the treatments AND the most unforgettable massage... I have chronic pain in my neck and shoulders. She knew exactly when & where to apply pressure, how to untie the knots in my back and release the tension in my neck -- I didn't even say anything, it's like she just could feel it. It's now been 4 days since the massage and the pain hasn't come back (hopefully it won't). I wish I could find someone like Sonia here, thank you.

POOLS
There are several places to go swimming, both on the side of La Esmeralda & La Perla, as the water seems to surround the complex. I admit that the water is cooler than in other places, but honestly, who want to jump in tepid water when spending hours under the hot sun, not to mention how much energy it would take to keep this much water heated all the time? I found it quite refreshing and pleasant and appreciated being able to go on the "Adults only" side when I wanted some quiet time. Also there are a few pools for kids, one having a giant Pirate Ship in the middle with slides and games. Seemed to be wonderful for families as parents can keep an eye on them while lounging in the large Bali Beds...

BEACH
Lovely white sand, plenty of towels, always found a lounging chair (depends on the time of year I suppose) and the waiters come by regularly to offer drinks or food! It is true that the beach is narrow, however I appreciate that the builders respected the environment and the flora & fauna.

I have only ONE complaint. After taking just a few steps in the ocean, it is indeed very rocky and slimey and the water is not as clear as in Cuba, so you can't see the bottom. There are areas that aren't full of rocks, but one must walk about 15-20 minutes to the left when facing the ocean and of course there aren't any chairs or service over there. I just wish I had known this before arriving, so I could have brought water shoes. I was disappointed about not being able to take more advantage of the ocean, however I also understand that management can't really do much about this... it would otherwise disturb the ecosystem.

Overall, I found this resort to be the most exceptional I've been to so far (and I've been to several in different countries) and by far outranks some other venues that are so-called 5 stars. Everyone has different tastes, but as far as I'm concerned this establishment has definitely catered to mine and I give it 5*****1/2. Muchas gracias a todo el personal que hizo que mi estancia más agradable!

I most definitely recommend this for families (La Esmeralda), for singles and couples (La Perla) and for business meetings.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BlissfulOrchid
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments regarding your appreciation of the facilities and services offered at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

It is great when we receive reviews explaining to us all the elements that were significant for our guests and due that they really experienced our “Pure freedom” philosophy. You found a place to relax completely and forget about everything, all that mattered was YOU.

Your recognition to the outstanding service received by a lot of our staff members will be transfer to their supervisors to motivate them to continue pampering our future guests the same way they did it with you. Practicing Spanish is funny for our guests and most of our staff is always willing to help!

We appreciate your wide recommendation to future Paradisus travelers to live the experience by them and we will be waiting for your return to Paradise!

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone - couples, families with small children and teens. There is something for everyone that far exceed any expectation. I went with my husband and parents and had a wonderful time. The hotel grounds are immaculate, the rooms luxurious, the food delicious and the service excellent. We paid the extra to receive Family Service which gave us VIP access to an even better experience. I particularly have to commend the staff at the kids zone. They were very attentive, had a great variety of activities and my son had a wonderful time there! It is also worth mentioning that there is a great variety of restaurants to choose from each one offering an extensive menu, different ambiance and a unique menu. Been to this hotel twice and am planning to go again!

Room Tip: Membership entitles you to a suite rather than a hotel room
3 Thank Kiki H
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear guest,

We are completely glad to read that Paradisus La Esmeralda – Family Concierge went beyond your expectations regarding food and beverages variety and quality, room comfort, facilities in general, the professional service provided by our staff, and of course the activities available for kids, teens and adults around the resort to enrich everyone’s´ experience.

Thank you for giving us your first Trip Advisor review and we hope you will write another one regarding your future stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Bedminster, New Jersey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This place was great! We were 3 families totaling 14. They accommodated reservations nightly and Bana was amazing! Shout out to Maximo! Rooms were clean and large! Food everyday from breakfast to dinner never disappointed any of us. The staff made sure every part of our trip was taken care of from start to finish. Thank you Paradisus for making this trip amazing!

3 Thank NKC73
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Pleasing 14 family members with different ages and of course different interests may be challenging to accomplish, we feel happy to read that the 14 of you had a memorable experience in every way.

Thank you for sharing briefly some words regarding your Paradisus experience and it would be fantastic to host you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,201 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!