“Beautiful resort, we will be back”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #33 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful resort, we will be back”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had an amazing time, will definitely be back next year; food was good (albeit a little bit salty), the rooms large and the bed was extremely comfy.
Only drawback is the beach which is narrow and crowded and you are allowed to smoke; unfortunately most of the smokers just bury the cigarettes in the sand.
Our daughter (3 years old) enjoyed the kids activities room

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind words and comments from your recent stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Our guest satisfaction is our priority and your comments about the cigarettes at the beach will be taken under consideration. We are committed with the natural environment and this behavior from some guests affects our beach conditions.

Thank you very much for uploading some photos in your post and we will be waiting for your return next year to our portion of Paradise!

alan.becerril@melia.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My beautiful wife and I stayed at La Esmeralda for our honeymoon. We love it!!!! I agree with other travellers that there are things need to be improved on, but there are many aspects really exceed our expectations.

Initially we were booked for La Perla, however, because they were full we got upgraded to 1 bedroom master swim up suite. The room is spacious with an open layout. There is a jacuzzi in the Terrance and you can walk into pool from the Terrance as well. Serveral things in the room that we both think need to be improved on: they only have 1 toilet (I know the hotel probably won't renovate the rooms just to add another toilet) and the toilet seat is very flimsy where the rest of the resort has better ones than the room. In addition, housekeeping did an acceptable job.

The common area of the resort is very nice, just like the pictures. However, we found some of the areas are not well-lited. Romantic is one thing, but don't know where we walking to is another... The common area is very clean and tidy, I hardly saw any dirty glass or plate lying around.

There are many restaurants to choose from in the resort. Some of their food qualities and services really impressive. Our usual routine would be going to Hadar for breakfast and The grill/The market for lunch. Hadar is a breakfast buffet: omelette bar, fresh mixed fruit juice bar, or you can even make your own Bloody Mary. The grill and the market is a la carte, we like the grill more because what they have on their menu. My wife favourite from the grill: Penne shrimp with lime butter. As for myself: fish of the day. (It is not just a grilled fillet... It is actually a whole fish grilled on the plate) As for drinks our favourite: Mango Tango, Scooby doo and Paloma.

As for dinner there are more varieties we went to: vento, Fuego, lapalapa, bana, and last but not least passion. Some of the them we decided that we have to go back again cause it was that good. Fuego: everything is great but the best we have to say is the creme brûlée. Lapalapa: arguably the best restaurant in the whole resort. We went there four times. I love the veal chop and my wife love their apple tart. Passion: which we have to pay for, we found that it was midiocore, the food are different and more fine but the taste was disappointing.

Most restaurants have great service here are the notables:
Enrique from Hader/the grill: excellent and genuine service. Always with a big smile and always going the extra mile for us.
Marcello from Lapalapa: great service and smart, even surprise us with an extra apple tart knowing how much we love it on our last night.

Before and after dinner, there is a place my wife and I must visit: the M Bar. It is a martini bar located between Fuego and passion. They are specialized in Martinis, and their Martinis are amazing. There are about 20 Martinis you can choose from on the menu. Our favourite: M EXPRESSO, M CACTUS. During our stay, the bartender were Enrique and Guillermo. Two of the best bartenders in the resort. They know what they are doing and always treat us like friends. We hope that Enrique will be recognized and rewarded for his expertise and professioanlism. Personally, my favorite place to be at night time in the resort.

All in all, these resort was like a paradise. The food and services are great, the Martinis are amazing. Once again my wife and I would like to say thanks to Enrique for making us the best Martinis and hopefully we will see you soon. Hasta la vista amigo!!!!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear guest,

We can hardly describe how it feels like to read we have surpassed your expectations during your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda and most of all knowing you were celebrating your honeymoon.

You provided to us an excellent description from the resort and restaurants. You contemplated every single detail everywhere. We appreciate your interest and dedication shown in your review.

We also value you remember the name of our partners that made your stay more enjoyable! Please be sure we will transfer to all of them your recognition to their outstanding work, and we trust your words will remind them to keep the attentiveness and kindness in their service that our dear guests like you value and treasure as a significant part of your whole experience.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed our unique LUXEclusive plan and that you found certain delicacies at our restaurants to satisfy your appetite. You even remember exactly what you ate in each restaurant.

Again, thank you for your recommendation to future visitors, and we will be waiting for your return to the Riviera Maya!

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband, teenage son and I stated at La Esmeralda in November, 2012.
What we did like/not like:
1) La Esmeralda is a family resort, but smoking is allowed everywhere (kids pool, show area, beach, etc). We are not a smoking family and we had a really very hard time when somebody was smoking close to us.
2) The food was not good (3 at 5 points). If you ever have been at a good luxury resort, you will find the difference. I would recommend only one restaurant "Fuego" (adults only) with great food. Thanks chef!
3) Very narrow beach with stone bottom. I met a women from Saint Petersburg who broke her toy when she was entering to the ocean.
4) Gym is excellent and very clean. New brand machines, a yoga room, sport classes....
5) SPA is nice outside: two jacuzzi, a warm pool, beds, fresh tea, fruits.. I would not recommend their massage - they can not do it, but 80 min. will cost you $180
6) All shows take place in a Bar - no a special area, a stage.
7) Cleaning service was not good: one day our room was not clean and the next day they started to clean the room at 6 pm!!!
8) Resort'd design is awesome: modern and contemporary style with romantic areas, nicely bars, fabulous lights.
Finally, I would give 3+ stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank NatalieIV
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share with us your opinion about your recent stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are terribly sorry to read we did not surpass your expectations regarding our LUXEclusive plan even with the wide variety and quality we offer. Our chefs are always willing to satisfy all our guests´ palates by offering the best quality in products at all of our restaurants. It would have been a great opportunity for us if you would have express your disappointment while you were at the resort.

Your notes about the cleaning service and the area where shows are held have been sent to the correspondent managers. We are sure they will take them under consideration.

Regarding smoking areas, it is allowed only at open areas. Unfortunately it is not possible for us to forbid it, as by law only closed areas should necessary be nonsmoking. We are sorry to read you felt uncomfortable for other guests’ habits.

We would like to have another opportunity to show you all that Paradisus offers. If you come back to Playa del Carmen, please honor us with you attendance again.

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was my first visit to Mexico and had high expectations after viewing the pictures online and reading a number of good reviews online. I would have given a couple of stars more but had to lower it for what I experienced.
1. The shuttle service was good. On our way to the resort we had to drop couple of others and two different resorts. Those two had very good entrances, the ones you would expect at a luxurious resort. I was expecting a similar feel but when we took a turn into the neighborhood of paradisus, I was a bit disappointed. It was literally a slum area. But when I reached the actual resort entrance, I felt a bit better.
2. Initially I booked a garden view room but later called in and upgraded to family conceirge so that my kids will be pampered with all the things mentioned in the website (about two months before the vacation). When I upgraded over the phone, I was told that it would be $100 per person per night and kids stay free. I received the email confirmation too but the actual numbers (an extra 1000 dollars for 5 nights) was not in the email content but in an attachment. There were three attachments in the mail asking for my credit card authorization something else. I didn't bother to open those attachments and decided to pay when I reach the resort (my bad).
3.At the check-in, I was told that my upgraded room was not available and they can upgrade me to a master suite and that would cost me $1200 US dollars. I remember my upgrade was about $100 US dollars and wanted to open my email. Somehow I couldn't open my email though I activated my roaming plan. Thanks to AT&T. i asked for an internet station so that I can check my email. There was no internet station. I told that my upgrade was about 600-700 US dollars (I vaguely remembered figures around 100 dollars). The receptionist, Alejandro said, its fine and since they couldn't provide me the room I booked, he would give me a master suite for just $600 dollars more. I thought it was a steal for the price and got the room. We were excited when we reached the room. Though it was not 100% ocean view that I was expecting, it was good.
4. Everything was good until i got a call on the 4th day of my stay from Alajandro that he made a mistake and I have to pay an extra 400 dollars. I was surprised and asked him why he couldn't tell me when I reserved the room, and what took him 4 days to inform me. I insisted on talking to his supervisor and spoke to someone called Jessica. She said it was a mistake and if I didn't pay, Alajandro would end up paying $400 from his pocket. I didn't want that to happen and went to the reception next morning and paid the amount. I felt she was a bit rude when she said that I'll not get a room for the price I paid.
5. On day four, we wanted to go to the beach and realized that the baby carrier was missing in the room. we were pretty sure it was in the room and filed a complaint for the missing carrier. The conceirge said that it could be just a mistake and would have mixed it up with the towel laundry. We felt bad when he came back with a security person and asked if he can check my baggage for the missing carrier. I was shocked and said I wouldn't allow as I take it as an insult. I didn't get the carrier back. We felt the pain when we had to run around with the baby in hand at the airport.
6. One day I woke up around 2 am and found a lizard in the rest room. I have a picture and a video of it. I am going to upload it soon. I 8 yr old would have freaked out if she saw it in the room.
7. Room service: We had to call more than once for toilet paper, shampoo and soap. Also, when we asked for bathing salt for the tub, we were told they are out of it. This is bad for a resort of this kind.

Video: http://youtu.be/Juc9RmEPjZA

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank niri_1
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for selecting Paradisus La Esmeralda for your recent vacations and the resort for your first time in Mexico. We value your time to let us know specifically the areas we need to improve.

We are sorry to read we were not able to surpass your expectations and that you left the resort with a non-positive overall experience. We really appreciate the details you described because that way the managers from all the areas involved know exactly where to focus and take the corrective necessary measures, especially on the information provided to our guests at the Front Desk and the restock of amenities by the housekeeper.

Regarding the missing baby carrier, we are sorry you felt insulted when our security agent asked you for your permission to check inside your luggage. When we receive a report about a missing item inside the room, part of the procedure is to check all the area, included the luggage. That is because uncountable times we have found the missing item inside the room, and we need to corroborate it was not in the area. We will reinforce the way to communicate this to our future guests and avoid the unpleasant feeling you had.

On the other hand, we are pleased to know you would have given us a higher score for the rest of the services you enjoyed in our facilities.

Again, please accept our apologies for the diverse situations that made us fail to you. It would be a pleasure for us if you could give us another opportunity to show you the authentic Paradisus experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My family stayed at Esmeralda in November, 2012 for a week. The hotel itself is really nice and our room was excellent. The bars and restaurants are generally good with some really good ones. We liked the choice of a la carte restaurants as well. Our kids enjoyed the kids club. The beach looks good but there are some quite dangerous rocks in the water. The water in the pools was cold and not enjoyable. The staff is mostly nice but the worst part of out trip happened during the check out. Initially it was going well but at the end of check out our concierge put a lot of pressure on us to make us spend couple of hours going around the hotel with him and eventually join the melia club. I said him no 3 times and after 5 minutes he walked away upset. But overall our vacation was pretty good.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for sharing your experience from Paradisus La Esmeralda.

It has been a pleasure for all of us to host you and we are happy to know that you and your family had an unforgettable stay. We really hope you have plans to come back to the property after you enjoyed our LUXEclusive plan, activities for all family members where all our guests have the opportunity to learn or practice something new, and outstanding facilities.

We are sorry about the insistence from the Club Meliá Concierge. We have sent your comments to the area manager. We are pleased to read this little incident did not tarnish your experience at all.

Warm regards from the Riviera Maya.

King City, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was our second trip to La Esmerelda and it was just as wonderful the second time. The grounds are still pristine, the decor modern and the service seems to be even better. The restaurants are top notch, with the mexican and feugo standing out. The breakfast buffet has everything you could ask for. We were even remembered from our trip a year ago by two of the waiters; Rafael and Velasco. They made sure to start our days off right with impeccable service and plenty of attention to our son, who is one year old and loves to throw spoons on the ground. They happily picked them up each time! Room Tip: If you are travelling with young children who still nap, upgrade to a swim up suite. You can leave them in the room with a baby monitor and go swimming, have drinks and lunch delivered to the pool and still be right next to the kids. The monitor reaches quite far in the pool, just ask to be in the quieter side of swim up suites (by the restaurants). Plus, having a pool outside your room means no packing up all of yours and the kids stuff to go to the pool for the day!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with young children who still nap, upgrade to a swim up suite. You can leave t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

It is fantastic for us to know that only after one year from the opening we have repetitive guests like you. We appreciate your preference and most of all your kind words.

We appreciate your recommendation to future tourists to reserve our swim up suites to live the Paradisus experience with their kids. We are pleased to know you were surprised once more by the resorts´ facilities and the warm staff service.

We would appreciate if you recommend Paradisus to your friends and relatives, so they can live the Paradisus experience by their own.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was at this hotel last week and posted a daily report in the forum section under "live from Paradisus La Esmeralda". So I will not get into each detail like I did in the posts.

First off, the actual hotel is stunning, beautiful layout, grounds, restaurants, rooms - all the nicest I have seen in AI hotel. The hotel design really comes out at night when the hotel is all lighted up, plus now all the christmas lights are up so it only adds to the decor.

Secondly, we stayed in a ocean view room - originally booked in a "tropical garden view" which it was not, it was a parking lot view - they got me - I upgraded with a few - but it does look like the old bait and switch trick on the hotels part.
Service was not very good and there was not 1 incident in particular. Rooms not made, mini bar not stocked, waiting for greetings/service in the buffet, non existing service on the beach, 'Service express" not answering the phone on numerous occasion, carrying my own bags all across the resort because i could not get a bell boy to help out, being asked for tips and on and on.
They still have a long ways to go to compete with the true 5 star resorts for service.

Thirdly - They should be ashamed of how they treat their customers at the beach, cramming us all together like cattle. They reserve a big section to the Family concierge which is not being used very much and cram all the other guest in another section with rocks. The water at the edge of the resorts is very nice but look out entering the water as there are allot of rocks (not the hotels fault). If you like a relaxing beach experience, this place is not it.

Lastly, all the a la carte restaurants are all VERY good, this the strong point of the resort. The food is like nothing I have experienced at an AI resorts, it does rival some restaurants bak home. The best service I did receive was at the a la carte restaurant. The buffer was not so great, stay away if you can for supper.

Would I go back - No, I like to spend allot of time at the beach an this is not the place to do this. Plus the service was a bit too spotty for me and never any effort to make it better. Maybe if I had paid extra for a family concierge I would have gotten better service (from the other reviews, this is what I can only assume) but I should not have to pay extra for service.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to family concierge
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank icon5
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear guest,

All our guests´ comments are valuable for us, thank you very much for providing us your feedback after your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are sorry to read you did not receive the service you were expecting at different resort areas. We have sent your notes to the managers of those departments in order to reinforce their procedures and standards to provide the quality service that distinguish us from other all-inclusive resorts.

On the other hand, we are pleased to know that our LUXEclusive plan was beyond your expectations and you were able to have several delicacies at our specialty restaurants. Another important element for you was the innovative décor and our attention to details about lighting, thank you for appreciating it.

Even though you said you would not come back to our hotel, we would love to have another opportunity to host you and prove you are authentic service philosophy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!