I have to echo what was stated by another traveler below....
We too traveled to The Paradisus over Thanksgiving, with a 1 year old, drove 45 minutes from the airport to the resort that we had so looked forward to staying at, that we planned for months for our vacation, and that we had booked for over 3 months, with a very tired and hungry 1 year old, only to be told that there were no rooms, they were overbooked, and that they were sending us to the Paradisus Cancun - another 45 minute cab ride back to where we literally just came from.
1. This is not acceptable. They knew 2 days before we got there they were overbooked. Why were we not contacted ahead of time to be told of this so we could make other arrangements? You do not get a family down to another country, who is traveling with young child, and then tell them there are no rooms. UNACCEPTABLE.
2. They sent us back to the Paradisus Cancun, that is a much older resort (Gran Melia) that was completely under CONSTRUCTION. Half of the restaurants, bars and lounge areas were closed due to this - they did not mention a word of this to us when sending us over there. We checked in and were sent on our way. No one showed us to our room, we wandered around for 15 minutes before stopping to ask someone how to get there! Room had no working tv, and no hot water. Had to call guest service as soon as we got in the room, still with a tired 1 year old mind you, who needed a bath and bed, and have them come fix everything. UNACCEPTABLE.
SO, we decided to come back to the La Esmerelda ( as soon as they had rooms available for us two days later), as we could not imagine staying in Cancun, at a resort under construction, lounging by the pool to the sound of chainsaws for the remainder of our stay. We would have rather flown back home. So here is my review of the Paradisus La Esmerelda after we got back there.
1. The beach - there's definitely not much to it. But we knew that ahead of time before going after reading various reviews. You walk quite a ways to get down there, and it is crowded with people. Very little beach or sand left after all the chairs are out there.There were rocks on the bottom, but again not a huge deal as I had already read that.
****The beach and the ocean views at the Paradisus Cancun were the one plus to that resort, they were beautiful!******
2. Service - some of the best I've had. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Whatever you want they would get it for you. They were so sweet to our 1 year old. The staff there were all great during our stay and should be commended. They are what made the resort so nice and made our stay enojoyable.
*** I should note the housekeeping service was not up to standards. As another traveler noted, they kept coming at odd hours, late in the evening to clean the room and we had a baby asleep at that time. So needless to say, for the 3 days we actually got to spend there, our room was not cleaned once. We had asked them to come back at 5pm one evening after the baby was up from a nap, but they did not come.
3. Grounds/Rooms - Beautiful and clean. Pools were great but as another traveler said - too cold to get in this time of year, especially with a young child. We stayed in the Master swim up suite and it was a very, very nice room. Really couldn't use the swim up portion, as I stated - the water was too cold. Overall, the resort was very nice, especially beautiful at night. We enjoyed the open air feel of the resort.
4. Food- We thought was very good considering it is an all inclusive. We especially liked the Hibachi table at Bana. Buffet had great assortment for family and children alike.
5. Kids Zone - we only made it there 1 day as our stay was cut short, but our 1 year old had alot of fun. It seems like a great place for kids of all ages to play and hang out.
All in all, we felt like most of our trip was wasted driving back and forth to Cancun, checking in and out of rooms, packing and unpacking - not what you envision for a vacation with your family and young child that you were so excited for and planned for months. Very dissapointing as you can imagine. The least they could have done was contact us and all the other families affected by this, to let us know so that we could have made other arragements prior to arriving in Mexico.
We have traveled all over the world and stayed in some of the most amazing places and we have never run into something like this, and is definitely not something we would expect from a resort that considers themselves 5 star. We booked this resort specifically because we were traveling with a small child and it had the amenities we were looking for, and it's sad we didnt get to experience everything we had hoped and our time was cut short.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the beach and surrounded by mangrove trees, Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda is an all-inclusive four Diamond resort with its promise of all-inclusive fun and LUXExclusive experience designed with the entire family. All suites feature a private balcony or terrace and include air conditioning with climate control, free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room Service, cable TV service, Minibar, in-room safe, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes, living area with sofa and a coffee maker. Services for relaxation and pampering include a YHI Spa, a hair salon ($), Wedding services, tours/ticket assistance and a business center. World-class facilities including Family Concierge ($), Fitness, YHI Kids, Kids Zone, Kids Club, Baby Club, Game Room, Life enriching experience, Kids Pool. The resort offers 14 restaurants to choose from which are open daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Riviera Maya, Mexico