“great budget friendly hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #24 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Charlotte, North Carolina
“great budget friendly hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

suited my purposes perfectly - wanted some of the amenities of an all-inclusive -- like cost control!! -- w/o the size and blandness. No issues during my stay - was in the back in a room overlooking the bistro and pool. had a GREAT massage coordinated by the front desk.

Location - The hotel is just off 5th Ave but surprisingly quiet. the staff were always helpful with trip planning etc.

Food at Mayan Bistro was good, not fantastic. Definitely worth the VIP though for at least 1 good meal a day, if not 2, and some drinks and bottled water!! I didn't get up early enough for breakfast ;)

Beach access - club "passes" offered were not on a great beach, there are others farther south with better sand/water/beach environment. Playa is not a great swimming beach at all though... Cancun proper was better for that (I also stayed 2 nights at the JW Marriott).

Very friendly fellow travelers from mostly the UK and Canada (I'm from the US). I saw some other reviews mentioning the firm beds - my bed was indeed quite firm, but better than the alternative!! i had to sleep on my side and not on my back as i usually would.

Room Tip: rooms in the front have closed in bathrooms and less of a view. rooms in the back have the "po...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank allicat77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hebrew first
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

It's all about expectations and you get what you pay for. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, and you can't beat the location. This is not a five star resort. It is a reasonably priced hotel that is just off of Fifth Ave. Some of the negative reviews are clearly from people who are expecting the amenities of a large resort and not a comfy boutique hotel. The included breakfast is only coffee and juice with toast or danish, just like most other small Playa hotels. However, you can order a full breakfast and the cost is very reasonable. The restaurant is quite good and they have a full menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They also have a full bar and Christopher, the bartender/manager is an interesting guy. Ask him to tell you a story or two. I have stayed here twice and both times were a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We close the hotel online , because a good reviews that the hotel got , but actually after we got there we where really disappointed, the room is really old , there is no door in the bathroom , which mean if you come as a couple , when you do your things she or he have to hear or smell your things !!! On the online it's writing that its include breakfast - but just to let you know coffee and cake it's not a breakfast !! After we ask them about that , they said that is continental breakfast !! In one ward - commmmooonn..... To all of you that will read this - if you looking for a hotel with a good location this the hotel , but its only the location !!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ommmmer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice location!! The staff were very nice!! Nice rooms!! The pool was ok! The Jacuzzi was not heated! And the bathroom was partially un private, there is not door to separated the room from the bathroom. But even that is a very place to stay with your husband or wife!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Anixsan
Addison, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my 33rd trip to Playa in 11 years. I've had several friends who have stayed at Aventura Mexicana in the past, so I wanted to give it a try. Booking went smoothly thanks to Andy. Check-in was easy. Went straight to the bar and the lovely Sara made some awesome pina coladas. Met the sweet Nicholas who always had a smile on his face and very helpful. I was traveling with a friend and we had rooms 1102 and 1103...right by the adult pool and restaurant. Bed was comfortable, plenty of space, and the maid, Cristina, did a wonderful job.
Had both the sweet Gabby and the nice Chris wait on us for late lunch/dinner. The food here is fantastic. The cream of soup with gorgonzola was incredible. I don't even like celery, but I ordered it twice. Delish!! My friend said the cream of mushroom soup was the best that he has had. The chorizo mac n cheese rocked as did the scallops tikin-xic and the arrachera. They serve a light continental breakfast included in your cost as well as offered other options. The prices for all of their food is very reasonable and excellent quality. The grounds of the property are kept immaculate. Very quiet property and extremely beautiful and relaxing.
I contacted Andy a few weeks ago for my next return over NYE. I am sure that I'll be staying there many more times in the future!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool have WIFI.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank A'ndrea H
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just came back from staying at Aventura Mexicana Hotel for 7 nights. It passed my expectations and I'm extremely happy with my stay there. I stayed in room 1108 with my girlfriend and we loved it. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Hotel was clean and kept in great shape. You don't need to leave the pool area to feel like you're on a great vacation. But if you do leave - it doesn't take long to get to the beach. It's literally 50 steps from Quinta Avenida and maybe 5 minute walk to the beach. Aventura Mexicana offers free stay at Indigo Beach for its customers, so no need to pay for your beach chairs. Just go there and tell them that you're from Aventura and you'll be all set.
Hotel offers spa but we haven't tried it so I can't give any stars for it. There is breakfast included but it's limited to coffee/tea with white/wheat toasts, butter and jam. If you want more, either order from Mayan Bistro's menu or better - explore Quinta Avenida and get breakfast in one of the hundred restaurants there. I learned that with all the restaurant explorations we have had, small breakfast is actually a good idea so I was very happy with my toasts.
Overall great experience and if I come back to Playa Del Carmen, I'll definitely choose Aventura Mexicana again!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have easier access to the pool and some have wifi
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RafalBoston
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My review is two-fold. First the hotel itself, then the restaurant. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and escorted to our room. The room was on the main level, a stone's throw from the pool. Ours was a step up from a regular room with a separate sitting area. Our bed was comfy, rooms neat and tidy, and outfitted with a water filtration-dispenser. Luis, the hotel's concierge, was very helpful on every level. From suggesting tours with a group or on your own to where to exchange your money for pesos, etc. Where the hotel really shines is in the service that you receive. Last year we stayed at an AI closer to Cancun. With Hotel Aventura, you receive exemplary service by people who truly seem to love what they do.

Which leads me to talk about the Mayan Bistro. Hats off to Christopher, Nicholas, Gabby, and Dora- the fine staff of the restaurant. Nicholas was a gentleman and completely classy, anticipating the customers needs and ready to serve. Christopher was the friendly manager with so many interesting stories- he could definitely write a book! The food was always fresh and flavorful- celery soup with Gorgonzola cheese. Who knew? Delicious salads and tasty desserts. Breakfast burrito to die for- and the waffles with fresh cream. Mouthwatering.
Clean and impeccable service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple