“Nice little place”

Ranked #26 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Chicago, IL
“Nice little place”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at Aventura Mexicana for a week at the end of May, beginning of June. It is a very cute little hotel, very well maintained in a great location. In general we prefer smaller places that aren't isolated so this fit the bill nicely. We booked after reading great reviews, originally we had booked on the adult side but my step daughter was able to join us so we had to move to the family side to fit 3. Both sides are very pretty and well maintained, I didn't see any of the adult rooms but I think we would have preferred that side as it seems the rooms we a little more private. The room we did have was right beside the pool off the sidewalk, the 'patio' basically part of the sidewalk. There were few kids so noise wasn't a factor we just felt a little exposed, we could have complained and moved but honestly it was such a minor complaint. The staff was very friendly and accomodating so I doubt it would have been an issue if we had.
The breakfast was good, continental is what it is, toast and some good pastries if you are there early but for $35 pesos they make and excellent Mayan omelet, well worth it. Beside the Mayan Bistro there is also a little sushi bar attached to the hotel, excellent sushi and a very pleasant surprise!
The location was great, in the midst of the action but apart enough not to be annoyed by it. The Kool beach club seemed a bit expensive even with the coupon, we went to Mamitas another day and got front row loungers, though not padded for $3/day which was way better. Of course that day was not the best weather, I would bet prices change depending on the weather.
5th Ave is right there offering great restaurants and tons of shopping, bars, people watching etc in each direction, fun just to stroll. The Mega is a huge grocery store a couple blocks away on Constituyentes, it has everything you would need and excellent prepared items (six station ceviche bar for example), if it had just been my husband and I we would have taken out food from here for most meals.
The only complaints I would have, though minor, are that the lighting in the room wasn't great, especially over the sink, seemed like 20w max, hard to see shaving, makeup etc. and the lack of towel racks or robe hooks. The towels come as cute little sculptures on the bed everyday but after use there is no where to put them, especially with 3 adults in one room.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. Especially to those who prefer the smaller setting close to everything but not in the middle of it all and enjoy the local feel when visiting other countries.

1 Thank ChicagoSue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Hebrew first
Maine
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Great Location in the middle of everything in Playa yet completly private. A short pleasent stroll to beautiful beaches and world class quisine. The property itself is a romantic hide- a- way. Sipping the best mojoitos in Mexico poolside in a perfectly manicured tropical setting was a highlight of our stay at Hotel Aventura Mexicana. The two restaurants are excellent and very affordable with excellent service. The room was immaculate with all the necessary amenities. Front desk service was outstanding. We will definitely return to this property!

1 Thank YoungCharlie
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed May 30, 2008

We stayed four nights at Aventura Mexicana. It is overall a nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay. We booked through the hotel website. They had a good rate of about $78 a day for a room with two beds (we have two little children with us) on their website, but even a better rate if you stay 5 nights or longer (25% discount). It would cheaper to book for 5 nights (and stay 4) then it was to book 4 nights. However, since the difference was not too much, and I wanted to avoid confusion, I simply booked 4 nights and paid the 50% deposit. A couple of weeks later, I found out through the website that they had a better deal, so now a 3 night stay would be entitled for a 25% discount. I called the toll free number and was able to have my rate discounted 25%. That was awesome!

The check in was simple. No bell boys, you carry your bags, although the reception gave us a hand - we had to climb some stairs.

The room was decent, had two beds, the AC was working, there was a mini fridge (don't set the temperature too low, we had our yogurt frozen). We were on the family side of the hotel. You can reach the adult side through their restaurant, the Mayan Bistro. I've heard that the rooms at the adult side were way better, but we had kids, so we got to stick with our rooms.

At any rate, the hotel grounds were beautiful and well maintained. They have several pools and spas. They have a limited amount of parking spaces but we were always able to find parking. They have a free computer with internet in the lobby. The maid cleaned our room well, did the nice towel art sculptures but some days forgot to bring us the extra towels for the kids.

Breakfast was in the Mayan Bistro. Continental breakfast is included and it's decent. You can help yourself with toast (white and wheat bread), several types of pastries (mostly croissants), coffee, cream, orange juice, butter, jam. You can also order hot food from 35 pesos to 50 pesos (note: the hotel website offers you to buy full breakfast for an additional 50 pesos pp per day - I recommend you to skip it, you can always buy it on the day if you wish).

The location is one of the best things of the hotel. It is located North of the Constituyentes in an area named Little Italy, very close to fifth avenue. The area is nice, is a bit cheaper (slices of pizza costs 13 pesos, as opposed to 20 pesos on the other side of Constituyentes), less crowded but not less vibrant. There is a Ciao Gelato, a babe noddles, and even a little gem of a libanese restaurant beside babe noddles. You are also 2 blocks from Ah Cacao, some of the best desserts in PDC. Constituyentes is a major road that links fifth avenue to the freeway, but has less traffic than its sibling in the south, Juarez. I also found that parking is easier in this area. It is also close to some of the best stretch of beach in Playa where two of the best beach clubs are located: Kool and Mamitas. We have little children, so we don't need to be right on the action, just close, and that's where we were.

Service is good. Maid cleaned the room pretty well, however, we wished she hasn't forgotten the towels for the kids. Also one day the AC broke down. We notified the reception, she went to check the AC, called the technician. By the time we were back from dinner, the AC was functional again.

My only quibble, in addition to the missing towels for the kids, was that the room feels a little bit in need for a renovation. There were some cracked and stained tiles, and the shower curtain would not block the water from flooding the bathroom floor. Some reviews seem to point that the rooms on the adult side are way better. I believe so. However, because of the hotel was such a bargain, I thought it was an excellent value. I would probably deduct a star or two from the ratings if I have to pay high season rates for that room.

• Liked — location, room in general
  • Disliked — minor issues on room conditions
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Belize
Reviewed May 28, 2008

As a first timer to Playa del Carmen I am thrilled to have chosen this gem. It is small, very clean and well done. There are many really expensive hotels and many dumps. This hotel is very well priced and I think you get the biggest bang for your buck. The employees are very good too. Front desk managers Antonio & Javier were very informative and friendly. The hotel has a nice sushi bar, I think its the only one in Playa. Great, great hotel

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lighting in the roon (too dark)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed that this lovely Hotel. It is located on the North side of the 5th Ave, strip (between 5th and 10th) on Calle 24. This was a great location since it was just up from all the action, but still set off enough not to be disturbed by the crowd on 5th Ave. during the evening. The room was clean and efficient with an AC and 2 ceiling fans in the HOT climate of Mexico. The pool was nice and the restaurant was great for breakfast, snacks and, of course, meals. All prices were very reasonable. Happy Hour every day has a 2 for 1 special. The Hotel is just a few blocks walk to the beach. The Hotel gives a discount ticket for the KOOL Beach Club. One thing to note, in Mexico toilet paper cannot be paced in the toilet when flushing. The Hotel should have told us this when we checked in. Unfortunately the front desk did not, and the room-maid had to be called to unclog the toilet. Fortunately, there was just a little bit of paper which needed to be cleaned out from a "small deposit" which thankfully did go down the drain and was not blocked by the toilet paper. My husband and I stayed on the "adult side" of the hotel which was free of any loud playing kids. The grounds of the Hotel has a "garden setting" atmosphere which is nice to enjoy, sit and relax. There is an upper lounge balcony which can be used to take the sun, enjoy a drink, or just sit and relax. There is always nice Mexican style music playing on the Hotel's outside sound system. The staff is helpful and friendly. Compared to similar Hotels is the area, the price of this Hotel was very affordable and offers discount specials which makes this a great find for the money (we paid $65 USD per nite with 1 nite free booking directly on the Hotel's website). All guests were of a mature age group (no young spring breakers). You will love your stay.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Bay Area California
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Nice room, very close to the main commercial center of the town, not right on the beach, breakfast was good if you pay the extra five dollars. Parking was easy on the street.

Note: the main tourist stretch in Playa Del Carmen is a pedestrian-only road, and is very touristy and expensive. If you're looking to get away from commercial corporate America, go inland or further south.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
unpacking
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I've first came to Playa when it was still a smallish fishing village and would stay in really downscale hotels. Over the years and probably 12 visits later I've moved up the quality scale and I could not be happier with this hotel. Many of the places I've stayed over the years are gone but I know the price range for different levels and this one is about right.

I was a bit anxious about being billed the full rental in advance but it all alleviated as soon as my partner and I walked into the place. By the way, this place is not gay but noticeably gay friendly. It is family oriented on one side but the environment was safe and quiet. The front desk clerk is very cute...lol.

Anyway, the best thing about this hotel aside from the nice clean room and firm bed is the wireless network. So if you travel with a laptop, this place is great. I write this review sitting on my bed facing the swimming pool in my really cold air conditioned room. The network is fast enough that I download my daily fix of iTunes newscasts ON VIDEO! Nice broadband speed.

I was even able to use Skype every day to make phone calls from the comfort of our room. The connection was not perfect for phone calls but good enough that I was able to transact business back home via audio connection.

The cute front desk clerk was very clear when we checked in that the Internet wireless connection was not stable but in our 5 day stay we never experienced down time. The wireless connection always worked. However, cute guy said it depends on the room location. Seems the hub is in the restaurant in the adult section and since our room was close, we lucked out. Worst case, you just sit in the lovely patio and get online.

There is another wireless network in the reception area. Make sure you get the WEP security password when you check in.

What else to say? I got certified for Open Water Diving with the training taking place right outside my room in the pool. The training was by the guys at Diversity Diving which has a shop next door. Despite it's name, it is also NOT GAY owned (I guess at least). By the master divers were friendly and didn't seem to be uncomfortable with my partner and I. This is an added plus to this hotel if you want to get certified to scuba dive.

Location is great. Far enough from the busiest part of the main drag but still in the center of activity. Actually it seems that the hippest part of Playa has moved in this direction.

I found all the staff helpful except for a wake up call that never happened. I almost missed my dive! But they successfully relayed messages between my partner and I or our dive instructors.

When you come to Mexico, remember that tipping is customary. Tip everyone and your experience will be much happier. I get the impression that people who don't have positive things to say about this place are probably difficult, unpleasant people themselves.

Anyway, my partner and I check out tomorrow morning but I think I will be back before the end of the year and I will be rebooking here at Aventura Mexicana. It's not high luxury but as luxurious and comfortable as I need or want. If you want the diamond treatment, go stay at some all inclusive resort. But for my buck, this place is perfect. Thank you to the staff for making it a great experience. Playa isn't the town I fell in love with almost 20 years ago but it still has the charm and chill that keeps me coming back.

1 Thank unpacking