“Our home in Mexico”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #25 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I hadn't taken a vacation together in almost ten years, and she had never been to Mexico. We considered an all-inclusive resort, but didn't want to be tied down, especially when it comes to eating out. We wanted to see the area.
In Feb 2013 we spent seven nights in this wonderful little hotel. Our room was on the family side and obviously one the older ones; but was clean and comfortable.
We never rented a vehicle. We recommend walking to the nearby (just a few blocks) grocery store to stock up on groceries. Go to the mini-market around the corner to get water.
We thought the location was fantastic because we could walk to everything. We spent tons of time walking up and down 5th ave, meeting people, and eating chips & salsa (I now have a guacamole habit!).
Louis set us up on a couple of great tours. Coba and snorkling; we had a great time on both tours. The activities were impressive but the guides really made it fun and interesting.
The staff at the hotel was amazing!
The Myan Bistro was fantastic. We became like family with Nico, Gabby, Dora, Julian, Diego, and George. They were all always anxious to serve us.
Of all the places we ate on 5th avenue, none served better food than the Mayan Bistro!
Thank you Aventura Mexicana, we can't wait to return!
Todd & Jenni

Room Tip: Family side could be noisy occasionally.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,867)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Aventura Mexicana is a quaint boutique hotel in north end of Playa known as 'Little Italy', great location close to 5th and a couple of blocks to the beach. Grounds and gardens are very well maintained. Rooms are nothing fancy but immaculately clean. The all inclusive is the way to go with meals and drinks at Myan Bistro included. Excellent staff including Chris, Nick and Gabby in the Bistro make sure you are well taken care of and very welcoming.

Room Tip: Room 1301 is on the 3rd floor at the end overlooking the garden and one of the pools and has the hig...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I and 50ish of my classmates travelled to Playa for our post-graduation trip and all booked into Aventura Mexicana for the first week. We couldn't have picked a better place. The layout of the hotel was wonderful, ensuring that our noisy group didn't annoy the other hotel guests. It was fabulously clean, the restaurant was top notch and the staff were some of the friendliest I've ever come across. I honestly cannot rate this place highly enough and would recommend it to any kind of traveller for any kind of holiday. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Orla O
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was our best Mexican resort stay ever. The Adventura Mexicana made us feel special. We were treated like family. Everyone knew our names. We felt like royalty. The Mayan Bistro staff were so good to us. Very friendly, accommodating, attentive and sincere. The food was excellent with many choices. Thank you Chris, Gabby, Nick, Sara and Dora for your great service. The cleaning staff works very hard and do an excellent job in keeping the rooms and grounds nice. The pool and garden areas are so relaxing and quiet. We will be back! Sharon and Ron Crone.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Cronelakehouse
Reviewed July 3, 2013

we really enjoyed our stay at hotel aventura mexicana. the hotel rooms are very nice and clean, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and the wait staff in the restaurant (especially Nick) were also very friendly. the continental breakfast leaves a bit to be desired, and the hotel is not as close to the beach as others, but otherwise it was a perfect place, and definitely worth the price!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was our first time in Playa del Carmen and I wasn't really quite sure what to expect. But I'm happy to say that it was so much better than i thought it would be and that I was so happy that we chose to stay at this hotel.

Checking in:
Since our flight got in so early, I emailed the hotel beforehand asking about an early check-in. Rob promptly answered back and was also really helpful in answering my questions about my visit and Playa del Carmen in general.

The Room:
Our room was 1101 which was about 15 steps away from the Mayan Bistro, which is the hotel's restaurant. Some people may not like the fact that it is close to the street and the restaurant, but we really didn't mind because 1. it was still quiet, 2. we could connect to the restaurant wifi in our room, and 3. we hung out at the restaurant a lot so it really just felt like an extension of our room.

The room itself was just a regular room with a double bed, which is really all you need. Some people have mentioned that the beds were uncomfortable, but our bed had a memory foam mattress topper which I found pretty comfortable. Also, like people have mentioned, there is no bathroom door, so you really have to be comfortable with the people you are sharing the room with. The room was spotless and the cleaning service made sure to keep it that way. For such a reasonably priced hotel, I was really pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail- they even straightened up our shoes thrown all over the floor and lined up our toiletries on the sink! The only thing I could possibly say about the room was that I've noticed that if you shower in the morning (which I assume is the same time everyone is showering), the water pressure is a little low. But other than that, I was really happy with the room.

The restaurant:
Mayan Bistro was a great restaurant. The food was fresh and tasty, but the drinks were really what stood out. They were strong and cheap, especially compared to the watered-down expensive drinks on the main strip. We hung out almost every day at the Bistro because Chris, Nicolas, and Gaby were all unbelievably sweet and pleasant to just sit and talk to.

Overall:
Hotel Aventura Mexicana isn't the most glamorous chic, hotel. However, it's one of the most accommodating, clean, and friendly hotels I've ever been at. Staying here really felt like being part of a small community. I've stayed at larger hotels and sure, they're professional and welcoming, but sometimes it just feels a little artificial. It was really nice to feel like when I walked by the front desk, Luis and Enrique actually knew who I was, instead of just being one of the thousands of guests they hardly recognize.

I was a little worried at at first when I booked Hotel Aventura- how could a hotel have over 700 reviews and only 4 bad ones? That's .5% in bad reviews, which I felt must have been fake! But after staying here myself, it makes perfect sense. I really couldn't have asked for more especially for the price. I loved Playa del Carmen and I'm definitely coming back to this hotel when I visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank audy720
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed for only two nights sadly we also had family joining us at a AI but we had a wonderful start to our vacation here. The food was amazing the rooms were very clean and beds were comfomtable. We will be returning in the future.
We found the food to be fresh each meal was amazing freshly made. The service was wonderful as well. We met some great people in our short stay there as well. Great place all around
I also recommend the AI option and they have a great massage therapist reasonable and she did a great job must do's!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple