2,079 results
All reviewsmayan bistrokool beach clubluis ortizboutique hotelcontinental breakfastgreat boutiqueadult poolfamily poolhoneymoon suitesmall hotelfifth avenuebeach towelsall inclusive optiontwo blocksthe hotel managerrestaurant staffsmall pool
Reviewed April 7, 2013

From the initial arrival through until departure, unfortunately everything about this hotel is disappointing.
We transferred here (having spent 5 nights in another hotel in Mexico which was excellent), and arrived at 12.30pm hoping to get an early check-in. No - we were told, it's a strict 3pm check-in. Okay, no worries. I have to accept that's hotel policy, and they're well within their rights to enforce this, but surely they can see the benefits in trying to please their guests wherever possible. A similar scenario occurred at check-out, where they insisted on an 11am departure.

My wife & I had booked a one-bedroom suite, and although it was spacious it was tucked away in the corner of a dark courtyard area, at ground level. It felt as if you we're entering a damp, dingy cave because it was continually in the shadows !

The decor and furniture looked out of the 70's, and really old-fashioned. The only access / exit into the room was through a sliding glass door, and the security was a joke. The lock was so flimsy I think anyone could have 'pinged' it open within a second.

Buffet b'fast is poor, and unless you're paying extra for al a carte items the staff aren't interested.

Worst though was that our suite was infested with mosquito's. I acknowledge that it's a warm climate, and nature / wildlife is all around us. We're not squeamish in the slightest, and regularly travel to Thailand & other similar destinations, and accept the 'local conditions'. However it's not pleasant getting 'buzzed' throughout the night, and waking up to count the new bites !

It's no exaggeration to say that I wouldn't return here, even if it won it as a freebie..........there are MANY better alternatives in the Yucatan region.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JamesandNichola
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear James and Nichola,
First let me sincerely apologize that our hotel was not the right fit for you. We know how hard vacations are to come by these days so we take our guests satisfaction very seriously. I wish we would have heard from you during your stay so we could have had the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable.

Typically, as shown in our hundreds of reviews, guests find our hotel to be an oasis filled with beautiful gardens, an attentive staff, delicious food, and comfortable accommodations all for a great price.

For future travelers, we are happy to honor early check-ins and late checkouts if occupancy permits. It is tough to be fair to all and honor this request during high season. I also want to ensure future travelers that we have a regular maintenance program when it comes to mosquitoes and bugs and typically do not have complaints for such. If for some reason, you have any issue or concern during your stay, please inform us as we are happy do everything we can to ensure a great experience.

Rob Smearing

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed on October 2012, the hotel is only half a block off of 5th Avenue, but I would prefer to choose a hotel near to the beach.
The rooms were clean, but the furniture was old. The bathroom is small and has a few of amenities. The breakfast was OK, I didn't try the food at the Mayan Bistro.
Free wi-fi didn´t work in my room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Patti TS,

Thanks for your comments. We know people have many choices of hotels in Playa Del Carmen
and often do a lot of research to choose the right one. That's why we let people know we are
2 blocks from the beach, not on the beach. Other than our staff, guests feel our location is one of our best assets. Being just 1/2 block off 5th Avenue, allows our guests to retreat to an "oasis" away from the hustle and bustle of Playa.

We also know free wi/fi is an important amenity and because our hotel is constructed with concrete walls, our website explains that free wifi is available in all the hotel common areas.

Guests also enjoy our organic bath amenities that include shampoo, conditioner, after sun aloe, soap, shoe polisher and vanity kit (q-tips, nail file and cotton round) but we would love some specific feedback on other items that may make our guests stay more comfortable.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Rob Smearing

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked Aventura Mexicana based on the great TA reviews. I thought that since we paid up for a deluxe garden-view room, it would be in the adult section and would be quiet. Unfortunately the first two nights we got a room that faced 24th St in the family section. We could hear people and music from the street and bars at night, and then in the mornings, kids running and screaming in the hallway. The third morning Luis at the front desk was immediately able to get us transferred into a smaller room on the adult side and it made a world of difference in terms of quality of sleep. As commented by others, the adult side's bathroom is not entirely enclosed (no door), so if you are not staying with your significant other, it can be a challenge.

I wrote up my dissatisfaction with our stay. Andy from the Aventura Ownership Group responded right away and gave us a very satisfactory resolution. I was very impressed and happy with his professionalism and commitment to the high quality of customer service.

The location of the hotel is great. Steps away from tons of restaurants and a short walk from the beach. Parking space was always available in front of the hotel though if more people decide to rent a car, it could be a problem. We always like the freedom to go see other places. As long as you watch out for Pemex gas station attendants scamming you (read my other reviews), driving around was great.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive about noise and want to stay away from kids during your vacation, confirm with the hotel directly that you are assigned a room on the adult side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I read reviews, booked myself and a buddy into this place for 3 nights in December 2012. He had never travelled outside of the US/CAN, and I was nervous that his expectations for a smaller hotel would be too high. Both of us were exceptionally happy we made this choice. Was a good introduction for him to Mexican travel. The staff were fantastic all around, from front desk, Enrique I think?? was awesome, and Mark the restaraunt manager and his staff were fantastic.
It really is a great place to stay to use as a launching pad for great Mayan Riviera adventures. It's a good hike to the collectivo's, but it's 5th Avenue, so it's a great walk each way.
You can't go wrong choosing this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first floor, down from the computer area, and it was the corner room, waterfall outside our patio door, and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife and I (both early 30s) stayed here for one week in February 2013 and we absolutely loved it. We didn't want an all-inclusive on the beach - having a nice little hotel and being able to take all of our meals at little taco joints is much more our style. The staff were incredible, the rooms were clean and excellent, the entire hotel was just quiet and relaxing and calming. It's less than a block off of 5th ave., but it lacks all of the noise of the main stretch. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple