This hotel is very pretty once inside and the front desk service and the food at the restaurant are both excellent. I booked through Expedia only a week before going and wasn't sure what I was going to get, but it turned out to be an excellent decision. It's right up Calle 24 between Calle 10 and Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue) but at the northern end, so I took a taxi to the bus station when I had all my bags. There's a small parking lot for people who have rented cars and I saw the front desk staff actually tell people to move when they had no business being parked there.
Jose at the front desk took care of me from the start, explaining all the rules and answering all my questions. The hotel itself is beautiful with two pools, one for adults and one for anyone. They have a open-air restaurant with the best food - Mexican, Italian, seafood, breakfast - and bar. The bar service varied a bit - some waiters did not seem interested in serving you, others were very attentive, but the drinks were always strong, and the price of both drinks and food was very reasonable for the excellent quality. If I ever return to Playa, I will be sure to eat here again. Continental breakfast was pretty good too, with different juices each day (mango, apple, pineapple) and whole wheat toast along with pastries.
The room itself was sparklingly clean. The maid made different towel art every day which was a nice surprise upon returning to the hotel. I had a room that faced an exterior street, so there was a bit of street noise and it was actually a bit dark, but this was the only detraction. The bathroom was impeccable and my room happened to have some serious water pressure - you had no doubt all the sand and salt were washed away. They have organic lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and aftersun gel you can use. The a/c was so powerful that I ended up turning it off most nights or it would be too cold. There is also a ceiling fan you can use, and the flatscreen tv had something like a hundred channels, most in Spanish but some in English or French. The bed was somehow both firm and soft - I have slept on some VERY hard beds when in Asia and so to me this bed was quite comfortable, although Americans who may be used to softer mattresses may want to know that mattresses in Mexico are firmer than back home.
The hotel has free Wifi in the lobby and in the restaurant/bar. My room was too far away to receive it, but in the end having it in the lobby meant that I was able to ask the front desk staff questions as I did research about what to do in Playa. When you check in they give you a towel card which you can turn in to receive a free beach towel for the day, and you get back when you return the towel in the afternoon. They have passes for free beach chairs at Kool beach club - which is hipper, more crowded and busy, and has a staff that spends a lot of time (too much time) making sure you have everything you need; and also a beach pass for Indigo which is a little farther down the beach - it is much nicer with beach beds, more beautiful hotels, more upscale feel, and some very good food and drinks.
The young men and women who worked at the front desk were very polite and helpful, one of them going to far as to take me to Tulum and Akumal beach on his day off so that I did not have to use public transportation, and also to the beach club Fusion where they have live music (salsa and belly dancing when we were there) while you have drinks right on the sand as the waves crash in. This was a very nice complement to my vacation and made it much more enjoyable.
For sure I would return to this hotel if I come back to Playa and stay here. Truly a relaxing and beautiful place to come back to in the evening.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aventura Mexicana - Your oasis of silence & beauty in the heart of Playa Del Carmen We're an American owned, top ranked TripAdvisor hotel & restaurant located just 1/2 block from Playa's popular 5th Avenue and 2 blocks from the beach! We're a friendly boutique hotel with lush, tropical courtyards and waterfalls, 2 swimming pools and 3 sundecks. Guest rooms feature 1 King bed or (2) Queen beds, inroom wi/fi, air conditioning, flat screen TVs, phones, private bathrooms and most rooms have balconies or verandas. Our hotel amenities include our Mayan Bistro (TripAdvisor top ranked casual restaurant / bar), free cooked-to-order breakfast, free wi/fi, free parking, beach club access, discounted gym passes and spa services. Our Guest Services manager is a tour and transportation expert and can answer all your questions about the area! Our Mayan Bistro offers breakfast, lunch, dinner & room service and THE VIP. THE VIP is our all inclusive option with fresh, made to order gourmet food and premium beer, wine and cocktails. Come have a wonderful vacation with us! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Aventura Mexicana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aventura Mexicana Hotel
- Aventura Mexicana Playa Del Carmen
- Aventura Mexicana Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico