“Beautiful hotel, excellent restaurant, fantastic service”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #24 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Beautiful hotel, excellent restaurant, fantastic service”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This hotel is very pretty once inside and the front desk service and the food at the restaurant are both excellent. I booked through Expedia only a week before going and wasn't sure what I was going to get, but it turned out to be an excellent decision. It's right up Calle 24 between Calle 10 and Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue) but at the northern end, so I took a taxi to the bus station when I had all my bags. There's a small parking lot for people who have rented cars and I saw the front desk staff actually tell people to move when they had no business being parked there.

Jose at the front desk took care of me from the start, explaining all the rules and answering all my questions. The hotel itself is beautiful with two pools, one for adults and one for anyone. They have a open-air restaurant with the best food - Mexican, Italian, seafood, breakfast - and bar. The bar service varied a bit - some waiters did not seem interested in serving you, others were very attentive, but the drinks were always strong, and the price of both drinks and food was very reasonable for the excellent quality. If I ever return to Playa, I will be sure to eat here again. Continental breakfast was pretty good too, with different juices each day (mango, apple, pineapple) and whole wheat toast along with pastries.

The room itself was sparklingly clean. The maid made different towel art every day which was a nice surprise upon returning to the hotel. I had a room that faced an exterior street, so there was a bit of street noise and it was actually a bit dark, but this was the only detraction. The bathroom was impeccable and my room happened to have some serious water pressure - you had no doubt all the sand and salt were washed away. They have organic lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and aftersun gel you can use. The a/c was so powerful that I ended up turning it off most nights or it would be too cold. There is also a ceiling fan you can use, and the flatscreen tv had something like a hundred channels, most in Spanish but some in English or French. The bed was somehow both firm and soft - I have slept on some VERY hard beds when in Asia and so to me this bed was quite comfortable, although Americans who may be used to softer mattresses may want to know that mattresses in Mexico are firmer than back home.

The hotel has free Wifi in the lobby and in the restaurant/bar. My room was too far away to receive it, but in the end having it in the lobby meant that I was able to ask the front desk staff questions as I did research about what to do in Playa. When you check in they give you a towel card which you can turn in to receive a free beach towel for the day, and you get back when you return the towel in the afternoon. They have passes for free beach chairs at Kool beach club - which is hipper, more crowded and busy, and has a staff that spends a lot of time (too much time) making sure you have everything you need; and also a beach pass for Indigo which is a little farther down the beach - it is much nicer with beach beds, more beautiful hotels, more upscale feel, and some very good food and drinks.

The young men and women who worked at the front desk were very polite and helpful, one of them going to far as to take me to Tulum and Akumal beach on his day off so that I did not have to use public transportation, and also to the beach club Fusion where they have live music (salsa and belly dancing when we were there) while you have drinks right on the sand as the waves crash in. This was a very nice complement to my vacation and made it much more enjoyable.

For sure I would return to this hotel if I come back to Playa and stay here. Truly a relaxing and beautiful place to come back to in the evening.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ladyjade28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Hebrew first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed at this incredible hotel from Dec 5 - 7 2011. We have been to Mexico many many times so do have a good sense of some of the accommodations. Check in was a breeze. I booked on line, everything was in order and within minutes we were shown to our room. The room...aw yes the room. Clean doesn't come close...could have eaten off the floor! The room is very relaxing, roomy, inviting and romantic. The decor is unbelievable. Soft colors on the walls along with beautiful linens. Nothing has been spared. The staff...helpful and accommodating doesn't even begin to say enough. They helped with directions to different activites within Playa and made suggestions as well. I needed to print our boarding passes and for some unknown reason, couldn't get the printer to work. Not only did they assist me with the computer but made sure the boarding passes were in good order so we didn't have any problems at the airport the following day. The staff at the bistro were very quick and effient both with the continental breakfast as well as other meals being served. The restaurant was very clean, no matter the time of day and the food was excellent. They make the best margarites around! There are several small pools, one for families and one for adults only. Was nice to see every detail was considered. To look at the outside of the building, it looks to be small and clean....not so! Once inside it is actually a lot larger than you think and the grounds, pools, walkways were all exceptional and manicured. You may think I am exaggerating....not in the least! I can't say enough about this incredible hotel. Would I stay there again?...in a heart beat. Would I recommend this hotel to family and friends? Absolutely without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We just got back from an amazing 4 night stay in Playa for our 1st wedding anniversary. We had been in touch with the hotel through email asking lots of questions and they always replied quickly with lots of information. We were very pleased upon arrival, the room was much better than we expected, clean and nicely presented with beautiful towel art and flower petals on the bed! The hotel is in a perfect location just off 5th avenue, 2 blocks to the beach (5 min walk) and easy to walk to all the action on 5th avenue. They give you tickets to use the sun loungers at Kool beach club which was nice, and they also offer massages right on the beach reasonably priced (I think it was $40 for a 30 min massage) The only downside to that beach club was the loud techno music, but you soon got used to it, and there were times it got a bit quieter, it was never a problem but if you want to hear nothing but waves then you may want to find a quieter spot. The breakfast at the hotel was good, 2 different juices everyday, coffee, tea, pastries and toast. Then you can pay extra for cooked food, we tried the 'Divorced Eggs' they were really good. Also, the hotel has happy hour 4-7pm (2 for 1 drinks) They make THE BEST pina coladas! Staff were great, especially Luis. They booked a trip for us to Tulum and Xel-Ha (highly recommend both places) The hotel was quiet, never heard any noise in the night or anything, no bugs! Nice outdoor decor, has a cool jungle feel, pools are nice, landscaping makes you feel relaxed. Cannot fault anything and would definitely stay here again in the future, and it wa great for the price. I have stayed in places that cost more per night but were nowhere near as nice. A great find! Oh, just an afterthought, if you are a couple and havent been together long, dont get the king room! There is no bathroom door, just a little alcove with a curved wall, so unless you are confortable hearing each other 'take care of business' then get a different room haha! (I think the other rooms were regular hotel style - the king room has kind of a nice open villa feel to it!) But dont let this put you off, the place is wonderful, especially if you love boutique hotels and not large clinical resorts.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Guelph
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We recently spent a week at the aventura and had a great time. This small hotel was a real treat after all inclusive resorts. Check in was fast and friendly, It is very close to everything and the beaches are great.
Our premium King room was large and very clean, however a mirror in the room would have been nice. Rooms were cleaned very quickly, often by the time we had returned from breakfast. Bar service could have been better, barman (tall) realy wasn't interested in serving you , One afternoon after sitting at the bar waiting for a drink we eventually left as he was busy eating. Never said hello.The rest of the staff are very helpful.
We enjoyed eating out at the local eateries and there are plenty. Fifth Ave is a short walk away but we started to avoid it because of all the time share husslers. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room 2400 is large and spacious however no balcony and stairs to climb
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed here in Mid November for a week with my wife. Grounds were nice. Great location!!! Just off of 5th avenue and close enough to the beaches.
Chef Marco makes excellent food and is truly an artist in the culinary field. Everything was delicious and the staff equally as warm!
I wouldnt hesitate to visit again!!!!

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here in July for 6 days and found it so amazing we decided to bring our daughter (4 yrs old) with us. This time we stayed for 7 days the week after the Thanksgiving holiday. Andy was quick to respond to my emails and made sure everything was right before we arrived. This time we stayed in a double room by the kids pool on the 1st floor. The bathrooms are in another room as compared to the King room we stayed in last time. Organic bath products and a very large shower in this room.
The location is great. Starbucks is down a few blocks, a cambio and pharmacy are just around the corner.
The agreement for free lounge chairs extended to include Indigo Beach Club as well as Kool, just ask the front for a ticket. Indigo is a very upscale beach club if that's what you are looking for.
The staff is amazing! The Skype phone is super handy and the front desk delivered all our messages from back home promptly. Aldo the bartender is such an asset as was our waiter Mosquito (Daniel). Chef Marco makes wonderful food, try the Mayan Bistro out...they have great Mar y Monte pasta. . I personally think the breakfast (coffee, fresh fruit juice, toast and Mexican pastries) is enough but my husband would always order the breakfast burrito...he loved it and I will agree that thing is really good.
Cute towel animals everyday from the maids. Rob, the Operations Director, is a really cool guy if you get a chance to talk to him. He goes out of his way to make you feel at home. Everyone treated my daughter special and we felt like family.
This trip we had a late flight so we checked out, kept our luggage in the office, borrowed 3 towels and went to the beach. We used their shower room to shower before we headed to catch our flight. Perfect hotel. You will not be disappointed. It was perfect for a romantic trip and this time it was perfect for our family. We will stay here again...and again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Just returned from a 6 day visit.

On the plus side:
1. The deluxe room was very nice. Large w/ separate living room & bedroom. Also had small fridge, good AC. Clean. Received wi-fi from the room. Bed comfortable.
2. Location was great. In the past, we stayed further south. This gave us the opportunity to go to restaurants as far north as 38th.
3. Property & grounds were nice. Staff was friendly.
4. Breakfast ok - for 60 pesos add some eggs & you will be fine.
5. dinner very good - chef cooked off menu items to our taste.
6. Free passes to Kool or Indigo beach clubs - nice.

We thought the following could be better.
1. Water pressure in the shower was weak.
2. Lunch menu was weak. 90 pesos for a hot dog & fries. Guacamole & ceviche - fair at best.
3. Outdoor seating by room, not really private. You are in an open courtyard.

Overall, we would stay there again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room