“An excellent dining experience.”
Review of Madre Tierra

Madre Tierra
Reserve with OpenTable
Madre Tierra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 1,397 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We chose Madre Tierra as the spot for our final meal in Our five week Yucatan vacation. We each had the steak and lobster special. We had scarcely had a few sips of our margaritas, and had not finished the fresh bread, when our meals arrived. The New York strip was a bit tough, but otherwise tasty. The lobster was equally good. There was an excellent wine list to chose from, and we finished with a flambé which was prepared at outer table. It was a little buttery, but the presentation was excellent.
The service was excellent. The staff were professional, personable, and very helpful. We made sure to take a card so we could come back when we were in the area. It was an oasis of calm in the midst of Calle 5.

1  Thank JimBug_54

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Madre Tierra because a friend recommended it. We are so glad we went! We were in Playa for a week and this place was the best dinner we had all week. We both ordered the NY strip steak and lobster meal. The steak was a bit tough but it had amazing flavor. The lobster was delightful! Our waiter's name was Rodrigo del Angel and he was the best I've ever had! He made caeser dressing at our table and also made an amazing strawberry flambe dessert at our table that was incredible. I can't wait to go back there!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A wonderful dining experience in the middle of Playa. Although it is on the famous 5th Ave. the second level location gets you up and away from the noise and all the foot traffic, while still taking in the views. The staff is especially friendly and gracious and the food amazing. I dined with my sister and one of her good friends and we could not have been more pleased. The steak and lobster "special" was prepared to perfection and the cost was very reasonable at $310 pesos or about $25 USD. I will definitely be back to this great restaurant.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The location is on the second level and does get you above the fifth avenue foot traffic which can grow tiresome at times. Prices are reasonable for the area, our kids ordered a variety of seafood items which I thought were all average at best. My spouse and I both ordered the filet which was better than most of the other beef offerings we had elsewhere. The cuts were brought on sizzling plates like at a Ruths Chris, I am not as fond of that approach as it seems to overcook a little. I would not go out of my way to go back here unless for the steak and salad.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

After shopping around at over 10 different restaurants to reserve a spot for NYE dinner, we were getting frustrated at the cost of all the fixed price menus. We were quoted as much as $250/person by some restaurants. The earlier dinner at Madre Tierra was refreshingly priced by just the items you ordered. I think we ended up spending $50/person with a bottle of wine and a shared dessert. There was a fixed price menu available for the later dinner though and I think that was between $85 and $100. I ordered a Caesar salad which they make fresh in front of you and the salmon. Both were delicious and the salmon was nice and tender with a simple caper-lemon sauce. The only disappointment in the dinner was the dessert - chocolate brownie a la mode. The brownie tasted old and dried out. This was also the only dessert option available at the time. A better selection would be nice.