“Great food, great service, great atmosphere ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xulam The Mayan Fisher - CLOSED

Xulam The Mayan Fisher
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Taxi
Description: Xulam is a unique restaurant concept where you can taste the ancestral Mayan flavors of Mexico with specialties in regional cuisine, including exquisite dishes from the rest of Mexico, with an ambience of colors and sounds from the jungle. Coming to Xulam will be great atmosphere, architecture and gastronomy awesome food will make your dining experience an unforgettable trip through Mayan History. Xulam es un concepto unico en restaurantes en el que podras degustar los sabores ancestrales de Mexico con especialidades en comida regional, sin dejar fuera exquisitos platillos del resto de nuestro pais, en un ambiente donde los colores y sonidos de la jungla se hacen presentes. Venir a Xulam es toda una experiencia donde la Arquitectura, Fauna y Gastronomia se combinan para hacer de tu estancia un viaje inolvidable al pasado de nuestros Mayas
“Great food, great service, great atmosphere ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

By far the best meal we had in PDC. Started with a complimentary shot glass sized taste of shrimp soup. Unique and tasty! For my entrée, I had the bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed shrimp. They were not only beautifully plated, but tasted amazing as well. The only thing that would have made them better would have been a slice of jalapeño wrapped inside as well.

Would definitely go back, and recommend this place to couples and families alike.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good, but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a small meal here and found it to be a bit pricey for what you get. Three fish tacos cost about $180 Mexican pesos - and they weren't very big. They were good, but not US$15 good. The restaurant itself is very heavily decorated - to the point that it reminded me of a themed restaurant in Disney World or a Rainforest Cafe. The service was very good and everyone was pleasant, but we would probably not return.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Denver
“Mayan Food Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently visited Playa del Carmen. We stayed at an all-inclusive, but had ventured off the property a few times for dinner as the food at the hotel was less than stellar. We kept asking locals for recommendations, saying that we really wanted to find a place with AUTHENTIC Mexican or Mayan food. While some of the places we were directed to were good, they just weren't authentic. When I go to Mexico, I don't want food that is "dumbed" down for tourists, I want the specialties of the country...the heart and soul of it's food.
On our last night, we gave one more attempt at finding just that. We spoke to our cab driver, describing what we wanted, and he said that he had the perfect place: Xulam.
We sat on the patio, which was formed in stone with warm and romantic lighting. We were greeted right away, and the service continued to be impeccable throughout the entire night. It was prompt and steady without being intrusive. We began dinner with the Mayan lime soup....wow! It was so simple, but so deep in flavor. You could tell the broth had been slowly developed, and it was cleansing, rich and refreshing all at once. For dinner, I ordered a rendition of bacon-wrapped prawns. The prawns were huge, the bacon perfectly crisp, with the prawns perfectly tender. My boyfriend ordered the molcajete, filled with Mayan-spiced meats and vegetables. I think he may have entered a realm of serendipity that I've not ever witnessed. It was a generous portion and the flavors were outstanding. The drinks were good, atmosphere beautiful, fantastic service, and food that made me want to fly back just to try again. Go, go, go!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great local food and service to match.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I have passed this restaurant many times during our stays at the Playacar Palace a block away but never ate here until our trip in May 2013 and are we ever happy we finally stopped.
First of all, the service was great from our server Willy. He spoke great English and seemed really happy we stopped by and worked hard to make our experience a memorable one. He explained everything on the menu and made suggestion for my wife who can’t handle spicy food.
The décor here is awesome as you feel like you are in the middle of a jungle. We sat on the outdoor patio which was surrounded by trees with 5 or 6 parrots watching us eat. Indoors was equally amazing with Mayan paintings and artifacts throughout. Very clean as well.
The highlight however was the food. Starting with lobster tacos that were amazing and followed by bacon wrapped shrimp for my wife and the Cochinita Pibil for me. I love a good Cochinita and this is some of the best I have ever had so hats off to the chef here. We finished off the meal with the white chocolate pyramid filled with dark chocolate mousse which was quite delicious.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Better than I expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I live here in PDV, but we've been wanting to try this place b/c we live nearby. I wasn't sure how "touristy" it was going to be (with generic food that is massed produced to come out quickly) - But it wasn't like that at all. First, the customer service was great! Above and Beyond. The scenery is amazing, right outside a waterfall and cenote, and live parrots everywhere. Whoever owns this place poured a lot of money into it. It's very nice inside and out, even the bathrooms are nice! The food is really unique, they have traditional Mayan cuisine on their menu like bugs! But since I'm a vegetarian, I ordered the veggie skewers and black bean soup, it was great! I'd recommend this place to anyone wanting a unique experience, and is willing to pay a little extra.