Just got back yesterday from a wonderful stay at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa del Carmen and it far exceeded our expectations. We have been to all inclusives Sandals resort and another one in Puerta Vartalla but this one was truly special. First, the grounds are absolutely breath-takingly beautiful. Every single time we walked down the courtyard to the beach we kept saying we couldn't believe how lovely it was. The palm trees, fountains, bridges, pools and views were out of a picture book!
The food was very, very good. Big variety, all types of ethnic foods represented, nicely presented, good service...really all you could want. We enjoyed each of the 4 specialty restaurants and particulary liked the Krystal and the Bodega. We also noticed they had a larger variety of cocktails and some more top shelf liquors than we had at past all inclusives. (Still, wished they had Sapphire Gin!). We were there at a time that wasn't very crowded so we easily got any reservation we wanted for the specialty restaraunts. However, they are not huge spaces so if it was a busy season, you would have to get there before 9am to get your choice I would think.
The beach was so nice---loved the many and lush palm trees that provided shade for our Irish skin! It was so nice to have continual drink service come around at the beach and pool. They even had a cookout on the beach for lunch. We did heed the others' advise and brought lots of $1 to tip the hard workers and were very happy to reward them in a small way for their smiling service.
We did do one excursion which was about 2.5 hours total snorkeling trip to Inah reefs. It was remarkable...both the type of fish you saw and the beauty of the reefs. In the past, we have done longer excursions to ruins, etc... but we lilked this one because it took off from the beach, was about a 15 minute boatride down the coast, snorkeling and then the ride back. It was very reasonable at $35 usdollars a person.
The room was very nice, but as others mentioned, it did have a hard mattress. We asked them to come up and put an additional pad on it and they did so quickly. That was helpful. It also had a very slight musty smell but I don't think you can avoid that in the Caribbean area or any tropical place due to the constant moisture. I do have pretty bad allergies and am happy to say had no problems and after a day or so didn't notice it at all.
Unless you are the pickiest type of traveler, I cannot see how anyone wouldn't just love this beautiful place. I told my husband that the day I find lots of criticism for a place like the Riu Palace Mexico is the day I need to get a better grip on what is really important in life! Of course, there are always circumstances that can make a stay anywhere frustrating or disappointing. But, I think for about 95% of travelers, they would be very delighted with a stay here.
Don't hesitate to go to the Riu Palace Mexico kingdom to be treated like Royalty!
Looking forward to visiting more of the many Riu properties!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen