“amazing!!!!”

Ranked #28 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
texas
“amazing!!!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2004

My husband and I just returned from the Riu Palace, Oct. 9 - 16. It was absolutely everything we hoped for and more. We have been to a few all inclusive resorts in Jamaica and Cozumel and the Riu Palace outshines those by miles! I cannot stress enough how clean and beautiful this resort is....amazing!!!!! The waitstaff is incredible....the food was awesome. FYI - When going to Sir Edwards or the steakhouse, if you like larger portions, you can order a double order....(my husband loved the lamb chops and steak, so he ordered a larger portion). Make sure you request premium liquor whn you order drinks. The lobby bar makes a mean Absolut dirty martini...yum....Also, at all of the other bars I had the best Absolut Bloody Mary's I have ever had.

I wish I would have read the previous review about the inflatable raft. I would reccommend bringing one with you...The beach and ocean are gorgeous.

While we were there we went SCUBA diving through the hotel dive shop. The reef was fantastic...If you go, try to get Paolo as your instructor....he was very helpful because I was not certified.. (I took the resort course there...$129.00 for 2 dives and the class...great deal!)

Before we left home, we went to the bank and got about 80.00 in ones..... we tipped everyone....they never expect it - but you know they appreciate it....AND, for the service you receive, it is soooooo worth it!!!

I got teary eyed when we had to leave...this place is that fabulous...

My husband and I will DEFINATELY be back next year!!

4 Thank recon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2004

Just arrived home today from vacation, 7 days at Rui Palace, Playa Del Carmen.
When checking into the hotel requested a garden view room. none available. not satisified with room given to us because of the view and they moved us the next day to a garden view, it was great. One of the best trips we have been on.
Recommend the ATV trip and the Tulum trip if you are interested in history, the trip to Xpu-Ha is a good trip also they have like a outdoor zoo and a great place to snorkel.
Things to take: bug spray for the Xpu-Ha trip and on the ATV trip you will get muddy.
Insulated mugs are needed for the beach, this is the hottest place I've every been and the bar tenders will put your drinks in the mugs you bring.
The service is the best we've ever had and I'm afraid to say after arriving home I gained 7 pounds in 7 days so I don't need to tell you how good the food is.
If I can help anyone please email and I will try to respond.
Hope your trip is as good as ours was
Paula

• Stayed October 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2004

Sept.18-25 Excellent property & great service! Would highly recommend it to anyone. We checked out all the Rui's around & there is no comparison. It' worth the money. We had room 2153 with a huge balcony.
The food was great & the lobby bar always has a good crowd at night for meeting people or just to hang out. It stays open til 7:00am although my wife & I could only manage 5:00 am one night or morning.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank HAMMRR2
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 10, 2004

We made reservations for us to stay at the RIU TEQULIA from may 16-22, when we got there they were overbooked and took us to Riu Palace, this was incredible!
The hotel is SOOOOOOO nice and everyone is very respectful.
We got a room on the bottom floor and yes there is a smell but that is the way Mexico smells. I mean you are right by the ocean.
I did not like the buffet, I found nothing on it appetizing in any way besides bread and butter. The drinks were great and the bartenders and waitresses are fantastic!
We ate at the steak house 3 nights in a row, very good steak and salmon.

It gets VERY quiet after the last show, we are pretty young so we wondered to the other hotels.
Riu tequlia was hoppin every night, Riu Playacar was not nearly as nice as the others, has a terrible western decor.

I LOVED our room, it was kinda hot but we stood on the bed and made the ceiling fan go higher.

I paid for tequlia and got the palace, I can't complain!

2 Thank Gynger777
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 5, 2004

Because I exhaustively read reviews before leaving for the RIU Palace, I felt obliged to add my two cents!

First, I want to say, stop worrying, reading reviews, etc., you are going to have a great time. Yes, the showpiece of this beautiful, spotless resort is the beach! If you ladies are stressing over does your bathing suit make you look fat or can I really wear a two-piece, just go for it! It is amazing to see how people seem so comfortable no matter what shape their in. I think I only saw a couple one piece suits on the whole beach.

Thanks to everyone who said bring an insulated mug, a must! Also throw an inflatable float in your bag, you'll want to have one and they charge 18 us dollars in the gift shop.

I would caution against signing up for tours. We did Tulum/Xel Ha. Glad we did but we could have probably taken a cab to XEL-HA and been on our schedule. The bus is a drag. Luckily we were able to cancel our 2nd tour. The beach and pool were just too great to leave for a whole day!

Personally we thought Sir Edwards, La Traviata and La Bodega (a lot of meat) were okay. They do break up buffet eating. The food is good, fresh, with an incredible selection. It may get a little tiresome by the end of the week, but you will not go hungry.

This is such a beautiful resort, I hate to be negative but I did not love the room. It smelt very musty, so an airfreshner is a must. The towels never felt really fresh and clean. But they do a very good job cleaning it, it'll be fine. Might be a good idea to upgrade your room, if possible.

Mostly I want to say tip the staff! Bring us dollars and pass them on freely. These people work unbelievably hard and are paid a very low wage.
They are so appreciative of any generosity that it is almost embarassing.

Have a great time, wish I were just going too!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed October 4, 2004

I too used tripadvisor to prepare for my first ever trip to Mexico and found it ever so helpful.

In preparing for our honeymoon I reviewed 3 months worth of reviews and agree with most of them. Great food, beautiful resort, amazing beach, wonderful service,...

A few things I would add though are:

Me and my wife are chocolate lovers but did not find many sweet desserts there. There were plenty of good desserts but they all seemed to be rather bland for our taste buds. So, if you will be craving sweets pack some in your suitcase.

Phone cards: We loved the place so much we decided to try and stay longer. In attempting to make 800 calls to the USA we found out that many of the 800 numbers that we used here in the states did not work in Mexico nor did our phone card. We had to buy a special international phone card. So, get international 800 #s from your travel agent before leaving and an international calling card.

It's true, insulated mugs are the way to go.

We booked our honeymoon through a travel agency and they contracted with Olympus Tours to shuttle us to and from the airport. We were very pleased with them. They were very prompt and courteous. Also, they had a rep at the hotel daily to answer any questions you may have. They were very easy to find as they wore blue pants and orange shirts.

We want to go back.

• Stayed August 2004
1 Thank PJM_Colorado_2013
Boston
Reviewed October 4, 2004

I just got back from my honeymoon at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa Del Carmen, and it was absolutely fabulous!

We travelled with Apple Vacations and everything went smoothly from start to finish!

The hotel is elegant but the service is what makes it such a great place to stay! One thing to note, Playa del Carmen is full of very nice, all-inclusive tropical resorts. Just a prelude for those who might expect the high rise resorts of Cancun.

I had a room on the second floor over looking the courtyard. It was nicely appointed. We DID request a matress pad and received one immediately. The grounds, the rooms, the restaurants were all exceptionally clean! The staff was so service oriented, I really felt like a queen for the week. My glass was never empty before a waiter stopped to refill. The restaurants were great! Sir Edwards and La Bodega were the best of the specialty resturants, but main dining room/buffet was delicious! Lots of options! The quality was relatively high for all inclusive. Gratuities were included but we tipped a little here and there when the service was above and beyond. It certainly was not expected or the norm.

There were a lot of European's staying at this hotel. I would say 50-60%? I thought this was great because we met alot of different people.

I don't know what else to say except that i would not hesistate to stay here again. It met and exceeded my expectations!

1 Thank Cath75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#38 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,355 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,880 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!