Checking in was a little bumpy. We thought that the bellmen would take our bags to our room. Instead we found ourselves lugging our luggage ourselves. We even asked how best to get luggage to our rooms and we were directed to the elevators. No big deal, but it was worth mentioning. We've stayed in other AI resorts in Mexico and never had to take our own bags up so that was little suprprising.
Once we reached our room we quickly discovered that out bathroom toilet had cigarette burns on the toilet seat and rust stains in the tub. A bit disgusting but we managed. When we asked earlier where we could find a snack we were told that we should order room service. Mind you we checked in around 3 in the afternoon. What we discovered the next day is that we could have simply walked to El Patio and grabbed some food. Instead we were prisoner to their limited room service menu. We were unfamiliar with all of the ammentites that we had in our room such as the inbeded bottle opener within the wall or the location of the minibar. It was a tad annoying to have to search for these things. If the bellmen were to take your bags to your room and do a quick tour of the room it would have alleviated the time we wasted in trying to figure out how to do simple things like open the windows. I'm still wondering where the spa was located. When I peaked into what I thought was the spa, there was a timeshare meeting taking place.
On a more positive note the grounds are beautiful and the beach is wonderful. Like other reviewers stated the lounge chairs are in abundence. We thought the food was better than some of the other AIs that we've been to in Mexico. However the drinks were not as potent or creative as we've seen in the past.
It was great that we were only 1 1/2 miles from 5th Ave. It made nighlight pretty enjoyable and shopping was a breeze.
All in all we had a good time. But we probably wouldn't go back. Going forward we know that our personal tastes require a 5 star rating when traveling out of the country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen