“Enjoying my last hour by the pool”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Temecula, CA
“Enjoying my last hour by the pool”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We enjoyed our six nights here spending the days by the pool and on the beach. Service has been excellent, food has been good as well. We never made a reservation to any of the specialty restaurants as we did not wAnt to be on a timeline. The beach was fantastic with plenty of ocean front. I would recommend an inside courtyard bottom floor room. We were in room 148. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 148 is bottom floor, close to main restaurant and you can sit on patio and see fountains and ni...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jvhawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I'm really late in writing this review! I stayed at the Riu Palace for one week in May. The resort is beautiful, clean and modern. The beach is gorgeous, the food was fantastic and the staff were amazing! However, I don't think I would go back (but I rarely ever go back to the same resort)
My biggest problem with this resort is that there are no washrooms near the beach. The closest washroom was at the restaurant by the pool and around the back...a very long way from the beach! There was also no beach bar. I think a resort of this size should definitely have a beach bar (with a restroom attached!) This resort has a lovely bar in the front lobby which is air conditioned however there was no outside bar, other then the pool bar. The outdoor patio has lots of tables and seating with many waiters and waitresses to take your drink orders but I think a bar would have been nice for the social aspect. The Riu Tequila across the street has a wonderful outdoor bar and was a great meeting place for those staying at that hotel. I stayed there a few years ago with my family. I actually prefer that resort over the Riu Palace but it is located across the road from the beach. I would always choose beachfront over "across the road."
Still, it was a wonderful vacation but the resort needs to make a few changes...mostly, closer washrooms to the beach!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
11 Thank kellywkellyw
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was our 3rd visit to this hotel. We stayed 17th June to 01 July. We last stayed here 6 years ago, before the renovations.

The rooms are fantastic now, ideal for couples, fantastic rain shower cubicle and 2 sinks so no arguments when getting ready at night.

We used the Italian , Mexican, Asian and the Krystal restaurants. We visited the Italian and the Mexican twice as the menu had been changed.

The food in the buffet is fab and on Gala Night there were lobsters, huge prawns and the carvery was a delicious Beef Wellington. Every night was a theme night and I couldn't fault a single one.

Drinks great and the lobby bar was great to chill out after the evening meal. Great service and enjoyed the music from the gentleman who played the piano.

Service in this hotel is top notch from the barstaff, waiters and the people who cleaned your room. Everyone you passed said hola with a smile on their face. If you treat people with respect you will get respect back. How the staff kept a smile on their faces with some rude people I don't know. They are all a credit to the hotel.

On a personal note I preferred the old pools to the new ones as I like to meander round. There are 4 adult rectangular pools and you cant get from one to the other unless you get out.

As we were retuning guests we got lots of little treats, a plant pot cake, strawberries with chocolate decorated to look like waiters and a lovely travel bag.

Anyone going to this hotel is in for a treat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Christine R
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2014

While looking at places to have my destination wedding this hotel stood out. I choose the hotel based on the reviews on and it didn't disappoint. All my guests were very happy with their stay and not one person had any complaints. The food was delicious! Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to make reservations at the restaurants but I was never disappointed with the buffet. There were always plenty of options and I didn't feel like I was eating the same thing every day.
The staff was very attentive and friendly. The facilities were clean and the layout was simple.

My husband and I got married in Playa del Carmen at the Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen and had our reception at the convention center at Riu Tequila Mexico, located right across the street from Riu Palace Mexico. I was overall very satisfied and happy with the turnout.

We had access to Riu Tequila and we often went to the night club located there. The staff wasn't as friendly and I was always glad to return to our hotel and see our friendly bartenders and servers.I'm very happy I choose Riu Palace Mexico and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank LettieCM
Lusby, Maryland
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We visited from June 30 to July 6th and from the beginning we were treated as royalty. The hotel is amazingly beautiful with such an attention to detail, that no feature is out of order. We have stayed at 5 other resorts in the Playa Del Carmen area and this was the best. Paridisus came close about 5 yrs ago, but we have heard they have fallen a bit.
Firstly the room(s) were gorgeous and well maintained, cold, and did not smell musty or dingy as some others have complained about. They provided turn down service with chocolate, decorated towels and turned on lights and ceiling fans for comfort. Well Done.
Secondly the food was amazing. Not only was the buffet simply the best we have ever had in any resort to date, it was well stocked with all the favorites, like smoked Salmon, fresh seafood, fresh sushi on sushi night and all the best fruits. The specific restaurants were also very good and not at all hard to reserve. We especially liked the Japanese.
And above all the people were simply the best, from Claudia in the sports bar to Angelica in the main hotel lobby bar, everyone was on their A game.
We highly recommend this resort above the others. It's only a short walk to the main city of Playa Del Carmen and the surrounding community of PlayaCar is safe, beautiful and a great morning walk.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the theater provide a quieter stay, as each night at 945 they have shows. All rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Bryan Y
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 3, 2014

10 day stay in May... I will make this simple....my husband and I were very happy with this resort. Service great.... staff very hard working...beautiful grounds.... awesome beach....great swim-up bar... food was average/good for an All Inclusive.... seating at night for entertainment good with an ocean breeze...however, for just being renovated...the pools...not good..all were much too small...as well as barely waist deep and I am not a tall person. I would not return to this resort for this reason only....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
10 Thank debbydoo54121
Buckhurst Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited the RPM 12/26 June & when we arrived there was no waiting around to be checked in, we were greeted by a very polite friendly & helpful member of staff, our cases were taken to our wonderful room which was lovely & cool, everything we wanted was there & may I say continually topped up throughout our stay, As other people have mentioned there is a slight musty smell but i think this is just the smell of Mexico & certainly didn't spoil our stay.
Breakfasts were great everything you could possibly think of (except the bacon which is always crispy) fruit smoothies,champagne @ even vodka!!!!! The pool's were wonderful & the beach was the best i think iv'e walked on with plenty of sunbeds available, also cocktailes were served all through the day without having to move from the beach, while at the pool you could be drinking constantly as the pool waiters are at your beck & call, we gave an occasional tip which is very much appreciated, this we did in the evening & during our stay our table was reserved each night with rose petals on it, our every need was catered for, wonderful! The standard of food was excellent & as i'm vegetarian it was the first hotel that I had stayed in that had a seperate section catering for me, very nice,The 24 hour bar was nice as we used to pop down for some wine to take to our room when we met up with our friends for pre dinner drinks, in fact the whole of our stay seemed to involve drinking something especially round the pool with "mus slides" jolly monkey's" Dakharis & of course water !!!! As other people have commented on, everone is very hard working & can't do enough for you,i would love my daughter to have her beach wedding there but it's not possible as it's at the higher price bracket for some of her friends, but she can dream.

Room Tip: we were in 1103 & 1104 on the garden side, not much of a view but very quiet, the ones overlooki...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#60 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!