“far exceeded our expectations”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #31 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 29, 2014

my wife and i were very impressed with this riu property. we stayed at rpm the third week of april of 2014 and were fortunate to have sunshine all 8 of the days. as far as the hotel itself goes, everything from the service to the food and ambiance was exceptional.

Room Tip: we had a room facing the courtyard on the second floor closer to the main building. It can be a litt...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Junior T

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We visited the RPM from April 19-26th with our two daughters and a son-in-law. It was not our first choice of resorts but because the all-inclusive we visited last year was totally booked, we booked the RPM at the suggestion of our travel agent. Boy did we luck out!

The resort was gorgeous, our room was awesome, the balcony spacious, the grounds were impeccably groomed, the staff and service was above and beyond, there were so many food options, the drinks were better than expected, and the beach setting was
breathtaking.

The environment at this resort was so relaxing and friendly that we found it easy to meet people from all over the world. We participated in water aerobics and water volleyball several times throughout the week. The staff encouraged introductions by name and country. My daughter and her husband actually met another couple from their own neighborhood in Chicago!

We had two minor negatives which we were able to work around. 1) the room set-up made privacy an
issue with 3 adults staying in one room. 2) the rooms smelled musty upon entering until the key card entry turned the ceiling fan and A/C back on. Within a few minutes it was fine again.

We visited some of the other Riu resorts that were within walking distance but I felt that we had picked the best one! We were only a 5 minute cab ride from Playa del Carmen which allowed for an easy day of shopping, lunch and site seeing. We would definitely visit this
resort again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank moser219
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Let me start with some positive.

Was there April 20 to 27 th. Two ladies

Great location!
Amazing beach
Only minutes to 5 th avenue via can.
Nice to have nightly entertainment included.

Beach chairs. You have to get them and at around 10:30 you have to search for them.

Staff at restaurants and bars work hard and pleasant at all times.

Extremely brutal arrival for s five star and departure. When we checked out all the male staff asked is that it ( as we asked for our bed lets to get cut off). He didn't ask how was your stay etc. Keep in mind I said hello at arrival to desk and how are you - no answer. The only overly friendly and informative was blonde haired male worker in my experience.

Nice large sized towels for beach chairs.

One day I was very surprised at an obvious angry staff serving in buffet area by beach. He even kicked fork under dirty dish sorter and we had to get up to get our own water n cutlery. Sat at table for ten minutes as he passed us often. Oh well- things happen but I paid extra for this Riu site in hopes of things like this not happening.

Serious concerns with washrooms. Outdoors and throughout resort. There appears to be no fan circulation and ventilation. You have to hold your breath going into
Their washrooms. In the rooms the washroom stalls are so tiny and no fan! I could barely fit in and I am 5'5 115 lbs. So odd. I work about fair accessibility for persons who need larger accommodations.

The ala cartes are not worth booking unless you want lobster and steak- then you would go to the ALA carte that provides it. If you have been to Riu Aruba the ala cartes are not the same. It is like having buffet served to you instead of going up for it.

Beds are very uncomfortable and I am not fussy about my sheet thread count etc..
Large shower was very nice.

This resort lures you in with the modern look of renovations, beach and location but does not hold up to 5 star standards.

The Buffett was tasty and always nice choices. Good service and fresher' frequency of choices when the chef was overseeing behind the counter. When he want there what an obvious difference.

For what I paid I will go to another resort that is a true five star. If I paid under 1700.00 I guess I would be ok with my experience.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank CLaWoman
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing hotel. The food is of a high standard and the service cannot be faulted. The staff work long hours, but are always unfailingly helpful, cheerful and so very hard working. The rooms are lovely, really there are no negatives to report. A fantastic holiday!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Kazza24m
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband, our daughter and I stayed at the RPM from April 11-17, during our 11 yo Spring break. Before booking this resort, I had done extensive research in all-inclusive places in Playa Del Carmen...including the other Rius there. We decided on RPM and did not regret the decision! By far, it was the BEST!
We visited the other Rius (all within walking distance from RPM and because of the privilege to be able to do so) but none had the high quality standards of the RPM! RP Riviera Maya was close. In fact, the ambiance and pools looked attractive but the service and quality of food was not the same.
Our vacation did not go as planned but RPM was so helpful in every way. I had an injury during the travel down to Mexico (overdoing it with helping husband w/baggage) and had extremely painful backaches that first night there (moms, picture back labor). The Riu has a doctor on call 24x7 with a clinic next door, at the Riu Yucatan. We called FD and dr was in my room in 5 minutes! He gave me an anti-inlammatory shot after a checkup and I was able to rest well all night. He also prescribed one by mouth as needed so, the next day, I was 90% better.
I took advantage of the wonderful Spa there, plus hot-tub, where I was given a wonderful massage that made me new again. I had never suffered from back aches before and assumed it was fixed. I resumed my normal activities (went for a long walk around the beach and town, visited a majority of the other Rius, etc) but I think I overdid it. The following day I had excruciating pain in my right leg, indicating a ruptured disk.
Everyone was so helpful and sympathetic. They offered to bring me to the hospital but I didn't want to do that. I managed with rest (lounging around the pool) and the oral anti-inflammatory meds. I waited to get home and am now taking care of it. My husband and daughter got to pool hop and go to Excaret, which they found very enjoyable.
Despite my situation, I cannot say enough about how great everything was!

Now, for resort details....

Check-in:
We arrived at 5:30pm and were greeted with smiles and a cold fruit drink. Check-in was easy and we were even upgraded to a room on 2nd floor, with privacy curtain, king bed plus pull out couch and closest to beach/pools. Our room was great. Did not notice musty smell in the room only a little in the dresser drawers and closet. I always bring Lysol with me when I travel so I sprayed it and left drawers slightly open after unpacking and no damage done. The layout of the room is more European than we American are used to. Bathroom is small. Shower is good and roomy. Double sinks for easier morning readiness.

Cleanliness:
Someone was always cleaning inside and out around the RPM. The pools/fountains/walkways/beach did not have any form of debris on them! the rooms were cleaned daily and fully restocked but the funny thing we laughed about was that, for some reason, every night at around 9 pm, we'd get a knock on the door and get an extra towel. Don't know why since we had plenty but didn't question it. :)

Service:
Everyone had a smile on his/her face and was willing to help above and beyond! While lounging by the pool, servers would ask you if you needed a drink or anything else. They would also bring around treats (fresh popcorn, popped at the poolside; chocolate dipped fruit; etc).

Entertainment:
The staff was trying hard to keep everyone happy and offered a variety of activities. I was only able to participate in Bingo due to my injury but the guys were so funny that it was an experience in itself! Every night they had a show on stage. They also had a stage inside, just for kids and where they could be entertained while parents were sipping a drink/watching the show outside (it has glass wall so you can see your kids).

Food:
What can I say?!? Out of this world...especially for an all-inclusive! The buffet had so many choices that you didn't know where to start. High quality meats/seafood were offered every night. Duck, grilled lobster, prime rib roast, pork, turkey, paella, and fish galore.
We made reservation to 3 of the restaurants ( Krystal, the Italian and the Steakhouse) we liked the steakhouse the best but, honestly, the buffet is better!
Every night, by the open area near theater and on the way to buffet, they had a drink of the night. Pretty decorated glasses and different choices. I also would like to note that top shelf drinks are available with no problems at RPM.

Spa:
Very nice, professional staff and great services available! Massages are even offered on the beach!

Final note:
The RPM as you know has been remodeled into a more contemporary style. I have no prior experience in the former look so I can't compare. All I can say is that it looked elegant to me with the crystal chandeliers, wood bar in lobby area, and beautiful chapel. We were lucky enough to witness a wedding in that chapel the day before we left.

Room Tip: Before going to the RPM, I took advantage of Trip Advisor's offer to sign up for the RIU Class c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank AnnettePSC
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and chose to stay at RPM for the second consecutive year, expecting the same great vacation as last year. It wasn't the same; it was better! To start, the staff was second to none. From the receptionists at check-in to the room attendants to the evening entertainment, all at RPM helped make our vacation exceptional.
The grounds were immaculate; we never once saw trash, empty glasses, or other items that "didn't belong". Likewise with the restaurants and buffets; the staff were constantly and consistently cleaning and tending to the needs of their guests.
I cannot say enough about the attitudes, personalities, and work ethic of every RPM employee that we came in contact with, three in particular. Nando (bar manager), Luis and Enrique (entertainment specialists) were absolutely phenomenal, and played a large part in making!our vacation, once again, so memorable.
RPM's quality of service, facilities, beach, customer service, and food and drink will continue to draw us there year after year.
For those who complain about the "musty" smell of the rooms- I'm sorry, but it's the tropics. If you don't like heat and humidity you're better off vacationing in Minnesota.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Namoe
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Upon check in we were greeted by staff, very friendly and offered a drink. Our room was clean and ready right away. Service throughout the week was excellent. Rooms were beautiful and cleaned everyday before we got back from breakfast. The open tub a little strange but we never used it. I would highly recommend this property if you are looking for a nice relaxing getaway. The beach was clean and plenty of chairs, same with the pools. I have no complaints whatsoever.
if you want to eat at the restaraunts you do need to get up and wait for reservations, it was not a big deal for us, the food in the buffett was excellent as well.
We could walk to town each day and there are some Mayan Ruins along the way.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for one that is not too close to the main lobby. You'll hear al...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple