“Another great stay at Riu Palace Mexico”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was my 4th stay at this resort and it never disappoints. The updates to the hotel are well done.
The leading reason I go back to this resort is largely due to the service. It’s amazing. There isn’t any wait time. Room service is within 10 mins of ordering coffee and fresh fruit in the morning. Service in the restaurants & poolside are excellent. Santiago was especially great in the main dining rooms.
The food, pool and beaches are great! If you like walking a beach, this is it.
The only thing that really needs to be looked at is the evening entertainment. There really isn’t any. As others mentioned in previous reviews, they use the participation of guests...It’s simply boring to watch. However, on the Thursday night there was a decent live band.
Request a high floor and courtyard facing room…it’s a great spot.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Tyler A
Write a ReviewReviews (5,712)

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a truly wonderful experience. The staff are amazing, nothing is too much trouble. The service at all the bars is truly wonderful. The al a carte restaurants are fantastic, my only comment is that you have to be up very early to book the reservation for that night as the queue tends to be extremely long. The hotel may need to think up of a new way to try and resolve this issue. The drinks are lovely, even the local branded is very good. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the cleaners are in the rooms daily, the animals made out of towels was a nice touch each evening. Overall a very memorable holiday, a lovely hotel which lives up to its 5* standard.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Michael B
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The Mexican staff at this resort are superb - friendly, hard-working, and accommodating. You will receive good service whether you tip or not. Although, if you do tip you will receive excellent attention. Despite the positive work ethic of the local staff, the employees at the front desk are condescending and inflexible. A number of special circumstances surfaced over our stay, and the front desk staff were unwilling to provide the slightest of accommodations

The rooms are disgusting - damp, musty, and falling apart. The musty smell in our room was so strong that upon entering one morning the smell almost made me sick. Both the sink and the shower did not drain properly, the hair dryer repeatedly fell off the wall, water leaked from the shower onto the floor, the fans in the room did not work properly, and we had light bulbs that were burnt out in the room for our entire stay despite notifying the front desk. There are rust stains on the furniture, mold on the curtains, and yellow stains on the white walls. The mini-bar was rarely stocked, and we did not receive any extras from house keeping like chocolates or towel animals despite tipping daily.

While the grounds are beautiful, the beach is nice and the food selection immense, I feel that the cost of this resort warrants individualized attention when problems arise. I was also extremely surprised that the resort expects their customers to stay in rooms that are in such blatant disrepair. I would not return.

Room Tip: Unless you have an accessibility need, do not stay in a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Katie300600
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I and 7 other couple stayed six nights at the Riu Palace. It was beautiful, clean, rooms were spacious and the staff was wonderful. The evening Buffet was the best dinning choice. It included Lobster and Steak and just about anything you could ask for. They had most premium liquers and the activities at the beach and the pool were great! The bands at night were very good and the shows were ok. Joe, Judy and Salvadore of the staff took care of us. Would definetly go back again. Steve $ Kelley, Kentucky, USA

Room Tip: Ask for a matress pad. The beds are very FIRM. Be careful getting in and out of the shower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank K W
Reviewed April 8, 2014

So I just got back from a 4 night stay at this hotel. Overall I was very happy with my choice. There were a few things that kept me from giving it a 5 star rating. The first thing that I found extremely annoying is that you have to get up super early to reserve the Steakhouse or the Fusion (Krystal) restaurants. I am on vacation! I shouldn't have to get up at 7:30 to be in line to reserve these. They need a better system. For many people at this resort that is not an issue because they all seem to go to bed by 10:30! That is probably due to the fact that there is very limited entertainment in the evening. We went in to Playa each night. It was a 90 peso taxi ride. Usually we started at Mandala and then worked our way down to Blue Parrot. Which was probably why we could not get up so early. :)
Now for the good parts. The beach is gorgeous!!!! The palm trees and the blue water are amazing. We never had a problem fining beach chairs. I can see if you had a big party it might be tricky but for the 2 of us it was fine. Loved having drinks brought out as well. The pool area is very nice too. We usually hung out at the pool bar or the pool with a volleyball net. In the morning they would have music and do water aerobics. I wish they left the music playing all day but it was usually gone by noon. There were two other pools that seemed more for children. There were plenty of chairs and they had umbrellas or shades you could use.
The buffets were good but not great. You will not go hungry. Many choices but I would stay away from the wine. I think the heat must make it almost impossible for it to be any good. I think a nice improvement to the buffet would be to add some cooking stations. I have been to buffets in Vegas and Atlantis that have the Mongolian Grill stations which are fun.
The room was very nice and I loved having the stocked mini fridge. You will always have water and drinks. I brushed my teeth with tap water and was fine. We had a room on the outside so we just overlooked vegetation. We opted not to pay extra for the Courtyard view room because we knew we would hardly be in the room. I can see for a couple it would be nice to have that view though. We had a privacy curtain for the bathroom which was nice. There was also a safe int he room which we used every day.
We used the gym which is in the spa building near the pool. It was very nice. It had a few treadmills, elliptical and stationary bike. There were also a few machines and some free weights. Enough to help burn some of the calories you will surely consume. :)
We walked to the other Riu properties and looked at their pools. The Rivera Maya was nice but I still preferred our hotel. I felt they were all nice but just liked the layout of our hotel the best and my friend agreed.
So overall this is a great resort. Very friendly staff. The Animation staff is great. Christian, Al, Ivan, and Alex were all very energetic and friendly.

Room Tip: We had a room on top floor. No view but never a musty smell and always well air conditioned. If you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank rene20874
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Currently in resort, just visited the hospital for fluids because of Gastroentinitus, I don't know which hurts the most, the stomach pain or the $600 I had to pay at the hospital, Ill save money though, because I won't be going on any trips!

Visitors should be made to use the sterile stations.

Hotel smells musty but so did the hospital!!

Don't expect to get any sleep before 11pm because the noise from the Disco, or the occasional corridor idiot.

Staff are attentive; food...when I could eat was lovely.

Adios, back to the WC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Disco!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathryn M
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Hotel and staff are wonderful. Yes, the musty damp smell in our rooms is noticeable, not sure if that is universal, but traveled home with us, washed clothes upon return with no issue. The evening dinners were OK, would say the dinner at Krystal was !! a dinner to remember, food was fabulous and the staff as well. Entertainment in the evening was nothing special, but nice to have back ground music as you sat in the beautiful courtyard. All of the staff were very up beat and always willing to provide you with what ever you were missing. The pools were warm, and bartenders were attentive with pool guys always keeping the drinks flowing. Day and evening buffets were endless and tasty. Nice to be able to have a Starbucks and small shopping area within walking distance. Downtown was just a little to far, would require a cab ride for most. We planned 2 day excursions, one to Tulum and one to Dolphin Adventure. Dolphin Adventure was awesome, be prepared to get pressure to buy a CD. Tulum was worth the trip, EXCEPT once back on the bus, our guide now told us we were headed to Paridisio beach then snorkeling, nothing we were told about by the Lomas staff at the hotel, did not have swimming suits or towels. We decided to go anyway, not worth it. Snorkeling was in a lagoon, the beach was a beach. Then again a CD? OK we gave in 30.00 for pics of all 6 of us. Guess what it doesn't work. Live and learn, just ask questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family