“Need To Go Back... Lets Clear A Few Things Up”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #29 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed there from 3rd Sept 13 for a week.... We travelled with Thomson who I will never travel with again a complete nightmare...
On arrival we were amazed by the staff a complete stress free check in, the room was lovely very modern... a few people have complained about the size of the room where the toilet is located (but lets face it how big does it need to be its not like your spending your holiday on the toilet)... the towel art adds a nice touch. Yes its true the tiles can get slippy but putting a towel outside the shower solves most problems and standing on a towel when applying and sun sprays or aftersun helps too.
The choice of restaurants is really good my partner has a nut allergy so we tend to play it safe.... the steackhouse was lovely we had lunch there everyday our waiter seen to us all week and beer waiting for us on the table before we even finished getting our food. The buffet on the evening i was sceptical about but it was fabulous champagne and food art were amazing.
The tiles around the pool and fountain can get slippy a lot of people have complained about that but its like anywhere just be careful dont try and do a 100m sprint and youll be fine...
the staff cant do enough for you the entertainers are fab and the atmosphere is great... we had no security issues when we were there i have seen a few comments regarding that... the safe was secure and we had no problems.
The only thing i would say is the hotel to the left of riu palace played loud music during the night time around 11pm to 12.30 ish this was disturbing so if possible try to avoid it ... we didnt complain this isnt the hotels fault and was a minor problem... half the time we were that tired we slept through it...
and also Thomson told us we couldnt use dollars ... a load of rubbish everyone used them and its a much easier currency to use than pesos :)
fab hotel amazing first holiday just me and my boyfriend ... Wish i was there now... hope this info has helped :)

Room Tip: If Possible avoid the rooms far left of the lobby slightly noisy neighbour but like i say not RIU...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kate A

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Have just got back today from a week in this hotel for my friends wedding ,which was on the Thursday.

Well what can I say about this place .

Rooms .
----------
It was spacious , clean ,cool with the air con on , no evidence at all of any water on the floor . it states keep all doors shut when air con on as this can cause condensation, we adhered to this and had no problem at all . neither did any of the 15 members of our party.
The room was cleaned every day and bed turned down each night . our towels were changed twice a day .

Pools .
---------

pools were safe ,cleaned every night ,one used for the scuba diving sometimes and the other for aqua fit at 11am each day but that still left you 2 ,one the pool bar and the other big one to swim in .
Everyone was out at least 8pm .

Restaurants
-----------------

Six to choose from .
The main dining room ,had every thing you could want for every dietary need . if there was something you wanted ,it was no trouble for them to cook it for you .

We dined at the Mexican , beautiful meal ,the steak house surf and turf was lovely and the kyrstal restaurant ,top class. Three of the restaurants men have to wear long trousers .

Every meal was plentiful and so tasty.

Staff.
-------

Basically they were first class ,friendly ,professional and so hard working .

Hotel .
--------

The cleanest hotel I have ever been in to ,there were always at least 3-4 people cleaning the pools ,the water features ,the windows or cutting the grass , just spotless.

The wedding
-----------------

The wedding we attended was on the beach , it was brilliant and so beautiful .

would I go again without a doubt .

Cons .
--------
toilet in room could do with a little more ventilation , but that's it .

Loved it , sad to be writing this and being at home .

Room Tip: we were in 1107 and over looked the grass area of the hotel , was very peaceful sitting there in the...
1  Thank ambogirl
Reviewed October 13, 2013

the hotel is newly renovated, it is very nice and clean,.service is great, the food could be a little better. the beach is amazing..You walk 10 min on the beach and you will be in Paradise, A deserted beach and clear water, AMAZING.

1  Thank enzo2121
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were there in October 2013.
Problem#1
LACK OF SECURITY AT NIGHT
We have seen locals swimming in the pool after 9pm.
Where is security or management?
Problem #2
The water in the shower did not drain in a timely manner so you are standing in water.
Problem#3
The entire floor in the room was wet at all times. As if the tiles would be sweating.
No matter what the thermostat setting!
We had to cover the floor with towels and blankets. We were slipping on the floor.
After we left the room for two hours and set the thermostat on max cool the room had a bad odor when you opened the door.
All our clothes had a moldy smell. Our passports were warped.
I mentioned it at the front desk. I was told the entire management is aware of the situation.
I talked to others on the resort and they had similar experiences.
Before I left for the resort I was reading that other people had similar experiences.
It was like a two star Cuban resort. For $1600 you would expect more
DO NOT BELIEVE ME. I JUST WANT YOU TO GO THROUGH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH.
PROS:
Beach is excellent.
Food is good.

7  Thank janokam
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel and what can I say it was excellent!

Staff: Excellent staff cant do enough to help you.

Food: Perfect and so much choice, I don't understand the folk that moan as there is something for everyone.

Drinks: Oh keep them coming :-) the staff are great with the drinks and your glass is never left empty, drinks are also premium drinks and they aren't pouring half measures.

Rooms: Lovely rooms although a slight musty smell when we arrived, this is due to the humidity and not a massive problem. bed is huge as is the shower.

Beach: Absolutely glorious and very clean (the staff are out early morning raking the sand.)

Entertainment: Hmmm not to bad but the live music every night isn't great at all it's very hotel like and pretty dull to be honest.

All in all excellent hotel, would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely go back.

I think I have covered everything but please feel free to contact me should you want any further information.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kerryforbes1
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Palce Hotel in early June for two weeks, first four days were a major washout with Tropical storm " Andrea" doing its best to wash the Hotel away. The staff were brilliant and did everything they could to entertain the staff with games and also keeping the Hotel as safe as possible by clearing away as much water as possible with everything they could get their hands on.
Once the rain cleared and the sun shone the holiday could begin, the Hotel has been refurbished in the last year, it is quite funky looking if you like that sort of thing. The rooms are an odd set up with the bath and sinks as part of the sleeping and small lounge area, thank fully the toilet has a door but very little room to move around. The main issue with the room is the air conditioning which we struggled with for two weeks, it has been mentioned by other reviews and I can only agree that it was difficult to get a balance, either to cold or then to hot if the air conditioning was turned off and then if you opened the patio doors you would steam up in less than five minutes and then it would take another fifteen minutes to dry out, you always felt that the atmosphere was damp and that included our clothes, also found a little bit of mould in places. Anyway the positives, fantastic staff always working hard and cleaning everything in sight, totally spotless everywhere. Restaurants were great, different choice every night and a choice of different country specific restaurants if you wanted them, need to be book a reservation in the morning for that evening. Evening entertainment was not that great, but the games theme on Saturday night was popular. Various pool areas for sunbathing and swimming and a pool bar leading onto a beautiful sandy beach with plenty of sunbeds under palm trees and a non stop supply of drinks from the waiting staff, if you want relaxation them you will get it here, outside of the hotel grounds there is not much going on other than going to other Hotels for a look so if you want relaxation and are not worried about venturing out much then this Hotel will do it for you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing into the courtyard are quieter than those facing other hotels
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I arrived at this Hotel very excited to be back in Playa del Carmen with the whole family. Unfortunately, on day two, around midnight we received a call from a well known violent delinquent group asking us to leave the hotel immediately. "They" had been watching us and knew personal information that only could have been given to them by ourselves or someone who works at the Hotel. Since we keep to ourselves, the only conclusion my family came to is that someone from the hotel was involved directly in passing information to someone else. I asked to speak to the manager and was advised that the only person in charge was the front office overnight employee. I then ask to speak to Security. The security person arrived a few minutes later to our room, and once I explained to them what had happened, and stated that it was a prank call. I advised him my family was not comfortable and very nervous so he spoke to the person in the front desk so we could have a different room for the night.

Next morning, I had a meeting with the GM and security, and they stated once again that the call was nothing more than a prank call. I told them we were leaving but I wanted to file a police report.

Unfortunately, by the time we finished with the police and arrived at the Airport in Cancun, all flights we could take back home were gone. We decided to get something to eat in downtown Cancun, and for better or for worse, my sister-in-law and my wife suffered from a nervous breakdown and we ended spending the evening at the ER.

The ER doctor suggested to wait a couple of days before going home as a precaution, so Saturday morning, we decided to stay at the Riu Peninsula in Cancun, hoping things could get somehow back to normal.

To our amazement, Sunday afternoon we get a call from our Bank telling us of possible fraud transactions using my Debit Card. I told the Bank that I had only withdrawn some cash at the ATM located at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa del Carmen for safety reasons as we usually do, the day we arrived. So the Bank, went on to tell me that 5000usd were withdrawn at the hotel ATM with a possible cloned card.

Once again my family's nerves are on the verge of another break down, so we decided that we were leaving Mexico for good on the first available flight on Monday.

I have written a message on the Riu Class website asking for an email where to send a complaint letter and after 48 hours of the request I still have to hear from anyone.

It is sad for us to have to stop going to such a beautiful place, but this experience is one too many and do not want anyone to go thru what we did.

Beware!!

#63 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!