Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$241
$235
Bookit.com
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$450
$269
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$1,638
$334
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
$578
Bookit.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$244
$202
$664
$437
BlueBay
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$496
$389
Barcelo.com
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$387
$289
Melia.com
$477
$462
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun(Playa del Carmen)
$646
$598
TripAdvisor
5,893 results
All reviewsla bodegapalm treesdon julianspecialty restaurantsgala nightcourtyard viewpool barbeds pushed togethermusty smellbuffet restauranthour loungescuba caribelobstergated communitymain buffetother resortsplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were there in October 2013.
Problem#1
LACK OF SECURITY AT NIGHT
We have seen locals swimming in the pool after 9pm.
Where is security or management?
Problem #2
The water in the shower did not drain in a timely manner so you are standing in water.
Problem#3
The entire floor in the room was wet at all times. As if the tiles would be sweating.
No matter what the thermostat setting!
We had to cover the floor with towels and blankets. We were slipping on the floor.
After we left the room for two hours and set the thermostat on max cool the room had a bad odor when you opened the door.
All our clothes had a moldy smell. Our passports were warped.
I mentioned it at the front desk. I was told the entire management is aware of the situation.
I talked to others on the resort and they had similar experiences.
Before I left for the resort I was reading that other people had similar experiences.
It was like a two star Cuban resort. For $1600 you would expect more
DO NOT BELIEVE ME. I JUST WANT YOU TO GO THROUGH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH.
PROS:
Beach is excellent.
Food is good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank janokam
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel and what can I say it was excellent!

Staff: Excellent staff cant do enough to help you.

Food: Perfect and so much choice, I don't understand the folk that moan as there is something for everyone.

Drinks: Oh keep them coming :-) the staff are great with the drinks and your glass is never left empty, drinks are also premium drinks and they aren't pouring half measures.

Rooms: Lovely rooms although a slight musty smell when we arrived, this is due to the humidity and not a massive problem. bed is huge as is the shower.

Beach: Absolutely glorious and very clean (the staff are out early morning raking the sand.)

Entertainment: Hmmm not to bad but the live music every night isn't great at all it's very hotel like and pretty dull to be honest.

All in all excellent hotel, would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely go back.

I think I have covered everything but please feel free to contact me should you want any further information.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kerryforbes1
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Palce Hotel in early June for two weeks, first four days were a major washout with Tropical storm " Andrea" doing its best to wash the Hotel away. The staff were brilliant and did everything they could to entertain the staff with games and also keeping the Hotel as safe as possible by clearing away as much water as possible with everything they could get their hands on.
Once the rain cleared and the sun shone the holiday could begin, the Hotel has been refurbished in the last year, it is quite funky looking if you like that sort of thing. The rooms are an odd set up with the bath and sinks as part of the sleeping and small lounge area, thank fully the toilet has a door but very little room to move around. The main issue with the room is the air conditioning which we struggled with for two weeks, it has been mentioned by other reviews and I can only agree that it was difficult to get a balance, either to cold or then to hot if the air conditioning was turned off and then if you opened the patio doors you would steam up in less than five minutes and then it would take another fifteen minutes to dry out, you always felt that the atmosphere was damp and that included our clothes, also found a little bit of mould in places. Anyway the positives, fantastic staff always working hard and cleaning everything in sight, totally spotless everywhere. Restaurants were great, different choice every night and a choice of different country specific restaurants if you wanted them, need to be book a reservation in the morning for that evening. Evening entertainment was not that great, but the games theme on Saturday night was popular. Various pool areas for sunbathing and swimming and a pool bar leading onto a beautiful sandy beach with plenty of sunbeds under palm trees and a non stop supply of drinks from the waiting staff, if you want relaxation them you will get it here, outside of the hotel grounds there is not much going on other than going to other Hotels for a look so if you want relaxation and are not worried about venturing out much then this Hotel will do it for you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing into the courtyard are quieter than those facing other hotels
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I arrived at this Hotel very excited to be back in Playa del Carmen with the whole family. Unfortunately, on day two, around midnight we received a call from a well known violent delinquent group asking us to leave the hotel immediately. "They" had been watching us and knew personal information that only could have been given to them by ourselves or someone who works at the Hotel. Since we keep to ourselves, the only conclusion my family came to is that someone from the hotel was involved directly in passing information to someone else. I asked to speak to the manager and was advised that the only person in charge was the front office overnight employee. I then ask to speak to Security. The security person arrived a few minutes later to our room, and once I explained to them what had happened, and stated that it was a prank call. I advised him my family was not comfortable and very nervous so he spoke to the person in the front desk so we could have a different room for the night.

Next morning, I had a meeting with the GM and security, and they stated once again that the call was nothing more than a prank call. I told them we were leaving but I wanted to file a police report.

Unfortunately, by the time we finished with the police and arrived at the Airport in Cancun, all flights we could take back home were gone. We decided to get something to eat in downtown Cancun, and for better or for worse, my sister-in-law and my wife suffered from a nervous breakdown and we ended spending the evening at the ER.

The ER doctor suggested to wait a couple of days before going home as a precaution, so Saturday morning, we decided to stay at the Riu Peninsula in Cancun, hoping things could get somehow back to normal.

To our amazement, Sunday afternoon we get a call from our Bank telling us of possible fraud transactions using my Debit Card. I told the Bank that I had only withdrawn some cash at the ATM located at the Riu Palace Mexico in Playa del Carmen for safety reasons as we usually do, the day we arrived. So the Bank, went on to tell me that 5000usd were withdrawn at the hotel ATM with a possible cloned card.

Once again my family's nerves are on the verge of another break down, so we decided that we were leaving Mexico for good on the first available flight on Monday.

I have written a message on the Riu Class website asking for an email where to send a complaint letter and after 48 hours of the request I still have to hear from anyone.

It is sad for us to have to stop going to such a beautiful place, but this experience is one too many and do not want anyone to go thru what we did.

Beware!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
29  Thank Giancarlo G
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Rui Palace México it is an excellent hotel to send your vacation. We went 21 family members and que had a absolutely great vacation. The hotel is really nice, everything is new and clean. The place is great: pools, rooms, beach, restaurants, bars, daily activities, food, the hydromassage area, kids area, and the best of all... the employees, they were the main reason we had a great experience. They deserve to be stakeholders of that hotel!

Some tips:
- wear flip flops, the floor in some areas is black and it gets super hot during the day.

- don't miss the steak and the gourmets restaurants, they are the best. Also Don Julian is good all the time.

- don't let your kids play in the pool with the bar. to have a Great vacation is also in our side. We saw parents do nothing about it. There are several pools, a kids pool and the beach.

- Avoid the meetings with the guys that sell timeshare. They are the same as those that provide de transportation service. Don't be fool, do not accept "the meeting" with them. If you do, you will lose a very valuable time.

- enjoy the beautiful beach, it is amazing.

- take advantage of the other riu hotels. You can have a nice walk at the beach and have some drinks in the Riu Riviera Maya. Or night life in the riu across the street.

- to visit Chichenitza requires a whole day. You have to be willing to spend 7 hours in the bus.

- enjoy the great service you get with great employees like Joel and Francisco (drinks all day long), marisol (great with kids), Paco and raul (keep you well fed) Elena (in charge of keeping our rooms super clean and with nice towel animals), gardeners and all the staff. Without them it would be another resort.

• Stayed: August 2013