“The happiest place on earth!”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #31 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My new husband and I have decided that this hotel overtakes Disneyland as the happiest place on earth! And we have agreed that if we ever win the lottery we're just buying a room here for the rest of our days! Seriously amazing from start to finish!

We stayed for 10 days at the end of July 2013. We were on honeymoon but we were also travelling with our 3 year old son. We wanted a hotel which was luxurious and romantic which allowed kids but didn't have a crazy family atmosphere. This hotel was perfect, lots of facilities for children and the staff were lovely to him, but not too noisy or overrun with children. We travelled on Thomson's long haul service from the UK which we were very pleased with.

Room
On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with the beautiful 'Welcome Drink' and given information about the facilities, restaurants etc. Bell boys took our cases to our room for us. Our room was on the second floor, at the pool end, on the left hand side (as you're looking at the hotel from the front). We found this the perfect location. We didn't pay for the courtyard view but we weren't in the room enough for it to make a difference. We thought the room was amazing. It was very spacious, immaculately clean, great facilities, and we had one of the huge beds instead of two doubles pushed together. We used the sofa bed for our son for the first couple of nights and a camp bed after that (he had a little accident in the sofa bed and they gave us a camp bed when they came in to change it). He was very happy in both of those. We didn't have any bathroom privacy issues as our son is still young and so he sometimes showers with us etc anyway. For older families or friends you'd probably need one of the rooms with the curtain around the bath, as the shower door is quite easy to see through and there isn't really a private area for getting dressed. But of course there's always the balcony for people to sit while others get ready. Mini bar in the room was great, especially with a thirsty little one. The air con is great. We kept ours up full the entire time as that what was most comfortable for us. We didn't have any problems with dampness apart from one day when it was off across the whole hotel for maintenance while we were at the pool and when we came back in the floor was soaking and very slippy. But someone came and mopped it all up for us. So I guess the aircon is the key to controlling the humidity.

Oh my, the food! It really is out of this world! The choice is unbelievable, even the fussiest eater will have lots of choice - trust me, I was there with two of them! Everything is cooked to perfection, I can't count the amount of times we bit into something and said "Oh my god!" They must have international chefs as the pasta is the best I have ever tasted (and I come from an Italian family!), the Chinese food was better than any Chinese restaurant I have ever eaten in, etc etc. We kept going back to all our favourites as well as trying new things, and we didn't feel fed up with the food once. We ate in 4 of the 5 speciality restaurants - Italian, Fusion, Mexican and Steakhouse. We loved the first 3, Steakhouse wasn't amazing but still good. If you go to the Fusion restaurant (Krystal) get the beef with the sweet potato and vegetables - seriously the best thing I have ever eaten! Beef unbelievably tender and the veg tasted amazing. Can't stop thinking about this meal! We went to Lounge 24 and the coffee bar for snacks a few times aswell, again everything was great. So handy to have Lounge 24 if you're peckish or heading out on an excursion.

Drinks
Drinks were great - my husband fell in love with Passion Dreams, with a few Margaritias here and there! Banana Mama at the pool bar is amazing. The cocktails are very icy but trust me you'll be glad for it. We found them better blended in the lobby bar, and bit more chunky at the pool bar but I'm pretty sure that's purposeful as even the waiters that worked in the lobby bar also made them chunkier at the pool bar. They're not too weak but not too strong - you can drink them all day without worrying about getting too drunk! The white wine was beautiful and it certainly got us tipsy! The milkshakes and iced coffees from the coffee bar were a big hit too.

The service is another thing about this hotel which is out of this world. Everyone greets you with a smile and a hola - from cleaners and gardeners to waiters and hosts. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff at this hotel. Our favourite waiter at breakfast even started putting coffee pots on 'our' table at breakfast so nobody else would take it before we got there! The staff work unbelievably long hours in the searing heat and still manage to be so friendly. We tipped, not massively, but we tipped. We spent in the region of £200 on tips over 10 days, for three meals a day plus lots and lots of drinks! The staff were all so lovely and welcoming to our son too, lots remembered his name and chatted away to him for ages. And gave him lemonade in a shot glass when he asked for tequila! Special mentions to the waiters and hosts who made our stay extra special - Gullian, Francisco, Joaquin, Marnie and Daniel. We had no problems with housekeeping staff starting too early, as mentioned in some other reviews, maybe it was our position in the hotel. The housekeeper was usually in while we were at breakfast or just after, around 9.30am. They take plenty of time cleaning your room and do a really thorough job.

Entertainment/Atmosphere
The entertainment team are really excellent. My favourite part of the day was 10am at the pool when they play 'Good Morning' over the sound system and come around greeting everyone, and then sing and dance to the I Want to Go to Riu song! Sounds cheesy but it isn't its just a lovely upbeat start to the day! We took part in a few of the activities and really enjoyed them. The staff aren't pushy to make you join in, they just let you know when everything is starting, but they don't disturb people that are sleeping or reading. The atmosphere by the pool is amazing all day long. The shows are great - we went every night and we were gutted when the programme came out for the week we were leaving as we wanted to see all the new ones too! Casino night is really fantastic as is the beach party. Casino night is every Saturday and beach party is every Tuesday. I did the free scuba diving lesson too which was excellent. The entertainment staff work really long hours - they start at 10am and work until about 11.30pm, and also take turns at taking guests out to the various clubs in Playa del Carmen. In some cases they were working 10am- 5am for 3 or 4 days in a row. And they only get one day off a week. But again you would never know it as they are so cheery and friendly all the time.

Pool & Beach
Both absolutely stunning! The set up of the pools is great - 1 larger pool, 1 sports pool, 1 smaller pool, the swim up bar pool, and 4 shallow infinity pools. We thought it was really good as it meant there was lots of lounger space and it didn't feel overcrowded. We wanted 3 loungers together - 2 in the sun, 1 in the shade, and we always got it no matter what time we went down it. Plenty of parasols and tables. The beach is so stunning. Very clean, beautiful turquoise water and white sand. Plenty of palm trees provide the shade but there are plenty of sunny spots too. Again no lounger trouble at all. Beach barbeque and drinks waiters at the beach and pool are great too. There's security on the beach which made us feel extra safe, although we didn't see any incidents at all. Lifeguards too and the flag warning system.

Decor and upkeep
We really liked the decor. It adds to the luxurious feel without being brash or over the top. We visited Riu Palace Riviera Maya for a look around. It still has the traditional Mexican style like this hotel had before the refurbishment. However it didn't feel anywhere near as luxurious, and it smelled really bad! We much preferred the modern style of Riu Palace Mexico, it is much more high-end. The place is immaculate. There are gardeners in the grounds every day, making sure everything is perfect. One day we saw them on gigantic ladders removing any palms on the palm trees that had the slightest hint of brown! All the common areas are perfect too. They fumigate at least twice a day - some people might not notice as they do it during breakfast and lunch (and maybe dinner too) but if you go into the halls or stairwells at the right time you'll see a fly/wasp/mosquito graveyard! We all hate insects so we were really grateful for this. They must do the same with the pool and outdoor areas too as we saw one wasp the entire time we were there and that was it (and believe me, we usually notice every tiny little fly!). It really is five star plus.

All in all, I just can't describe how amazing this hotel is. We haven't stopped talking about it since we got back. My husband is a serial nitpicker and nobody can believe that he's found somewhere where he doesn't have anything to moan about! No holiday will ever compare to Riu Palace Mexico!

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor room, at the pool end and found it to be perfect. Halfway between the pool and th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
17  Thank CaraAndChris

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I agree with all the comments about the friendly staff, delicious meals and beautiful gardens. We travelled 28 July until 11 Aug with our daughters and partners. We were made to feel very welcome when we checked in. We were in rooms 1108, 1109 and 1110 which didn't have a great view ( overlooked the back with no view) but we got a good nights sleep because it was quiet and no noise from the entertainment outside. we enjoyed the drinks and asked for Smirnoff vodka and Gordon's gin and we got them. The only thing we did not like was there wasn't much gas in the tonic so we brought a can down from our fridge and that solved the problem. The entertainment was a bit hit and miss but we enjoyed the dance troop and the magician (. Was a bit cheesy). We also really enjoyed the Casino Evening. The negatives I mentioned were very, very slippy floor tiles when it had rained. We ended up taking our flip flips off and walking on the grass as it was hazardous. also the fumes from the jet skies was very strong when sat on the beach. Overall I would definitely recommend this Hotel. It really is worthy of 6 stars

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank MurphysNorthWest
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I recently went to Mexico with my family for a holiday.
We stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico hotel and had an amazing stay.
The hotel was 2nd to none - the staff were very friendly and bent over backwards to help with anything and everything they could.
The food and facilities were very good and plenty of choice.
The beach was very clean and a lovely setting with the 4 pools inc swim up bar.
There are plenty of excursions available but on the other hand the Riu Palace Mexico is ideal for just relaxing and enjoying what's at the resort itself.
I fully recommend a holiday to Mexico at this hotel - simply a fantastic time!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Hayley C
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the RPM late July-early August as a party of 8 and had an amazing time. The hotel is beautiful and all the staff work incredibly hard to keep it spotless. There have been a lot of comments about the rooms but we loved them, we were travelling with our 14 year old daughter and privacy was not an issue, we just planned who would shower etc.

The beach is stunning and it was lovely to have drinks brought to your sunbed, the waiters do a great job and don't seem to stop working. Every member of staff we spoke to was lovely, they all took time to talk to you and seemed really genuine. Even the ground staff gave you a cheerful greeting. The staff don't expect tips but were so grateful to receive them and given the high quality of service you recieve they deserve to be rewarded.

We mainly ate in the Buffet restaraunt and had loads of choice. We did eat in the Krystal, Steakhouse and Mexican but our daughter and her friend prefered the variety on offer in the main restaraunt so we stuck to that. There have been comments on the wine but we found all of it to be good, especially the sparkling rose. We were looked after particularly well by Eliel who ensured our glasses were always topped up.

The only slight negative is the evening entertainment, however we went out to a couple of the other hotels if we wanted a more lively evening. We also got a cab to Playa Del Carmen a few times and that is well worth a visit. There are shops near the hotel but the souvenirs are significantly cheaper on 5th Avenue and a cab is only $7 plus you get a great night out. Some comments have been made about getting hassle to go into shops but it wasn't bad, a smile and no thanks is enough, it is nothing like the hassle you get in places like Turkey and Egypt.

All in all a fabulous holiday which we all agreed was the best we ever had. The hotel is gorgeous but it is made even better by the staff. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2013
11  Thank Ella-g-Bella
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We staid here for 9 amazing days, Is't one of the best hotels i ever been to! Everything is so well organized. I really don't understand the few people that are not pleased withe this hotel, everything you need for a good vacation is at the Riu Palace. The food is delicious and there is a lot of choice. The beach is amazing! The rooms are the best, i can go on forever.....
just book this hotel you won't regret it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MichelleDas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico in late July/early August 2013 for 8 nights. I'll start by saying that in the past we have taken a number of vacations, including a number of cruises on different cruise lines, but this was our first experience at an all-inclusive resort. We were definitely not disappointed.

Transfer to Hotel

We booked both our accommodations and flight directly through the Riu website and opted to purchase the shared transfer from Cancun Airport to the hotel through Riu as well. The shared transfer was provided by a tour company called Best Day Travel. After going through customs it was relatively easy to find a Best Day representative as there were several of them standing outside of the terminal in blue and red shirts assisting with the numerous transfers they provided. We checked in with them and after about a 10-15 minute wait in the covered parking area we were on our way in a small van with one other couple to the hotel. The vans were comfortable and the air conditioning operational. No complaints there. It seemed that there were quite a few more people using Best Day to transfer to Cancun as opposed to Playa. The transfers to and from the airport for us were in smaller vans with only 1 other couple in our vans each way, so there wasn’t a lot of waiting time picking up or dropping other people off at their hotels.

Once we arrived, we were asked to meet the Best Day representative some time between 9:00 a.m. and noon the following day to “confirm” our departure plans for a week later. Suspecting this to be no more than a sales pitch, we met with representative Timmy the following day with a bit of annoyance because we wanted to start our vacation. However, Timmy was very friendly and simply confirmed our departure time, as they said, and informed us that he was able to assist us in booking tours and excursions if we desired. The initial meeting was over in 30 seconds and we were able to start the vacation. We did end up booking tours through Best Day later in the week and I must say that the tour company they set us up with was top notch and well worth the slight premium you pay over more crowded tours sold in downtown Playa.

Hotel

The hotel was gorgeous. It is located in Playacar in an upscale, gated area of Playa Del Carmen. My biggest concern going in was that the area would not be safe, but I must say I never once feared for my safety walking through Playacar and down the beach at night. The hotel was apparently renovated in 2012 and the décor is very modern looking and elegant. Staying at the Palace you also have access to the 5 other hotels in Playacar which are all within a short walking distance. None are as immaculate as the Palace Mexico, but it was nice to be able to grab a drink at a different resort or use the disco at the Riu Tequila right across the street. I would describe the hotel clientele as probably about 20-30% Americans and the rest mostly European or Mexican. There were quite a few couples and families, but I would not say there were a lot of children there by any means. There were only one to two groups of what I would call the “spring break crowd,” although there were several more at the Riu Yucatan and Tequila which are next door and across the street.

The room itself was gorgeous. We paid a couple extra bucks for the courtyard view which I felt was worth it as opposed to looking at the hotel next door. We had a mini bar and liquor dispenser that was refilled every day by the housekeeping staff. The bed was rather comfortable and it was nice to have a large shower and big Jacuzzi tub in the room standard. It was very clean, open and airy.

The one complaint I do have is that the actual toilet area is quite small. I am about 6 foot 2 and 240 lbs and I had difficulty even turning around in that little area with the door closed. Also, the bathroom area is very open and the shower door is clear, which was not a problem for me and my wife, but it could be a problem if you are staying with someone who is not comfortable seeing you in the shower. I would also echo the statement made in one of the prior reviews about the housekeeping staff. They are generally good and efficient, but they do get started a bit early. On two occasions we could hear the housekeeping staff moving the furniture around in the room above before 9 am. Obviously, this was a minor annoyance for us since we tried to get up early most days, but I felt like they could have held off moving furniture until a bit later in the day.

There are 3 pools in the main pool area that are relatively small compared to the many larger resort pools that you would expect see. We visited the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, and I must say that in exterior appearance, this was the only advantage I saw for the RPRM, which had much larger pools and swim up bar area. Otherwise, the pools themselves were kept up well and never too crowded.

The beach itself was awesome. White sand with warm, relatively calm water. There were always enough lounge chairs to find a spot within a short distance from the water. The hotel planted palm trees that they use for shade in lieu of umbrellas, which is sufficient and a nice aesthetic touch. There are a couple vendors on the beach, but it didn’t become annoying. The resort provides kayaks, boogie boards, sailing catamarans and other water toys to guests for free. The catch is that on the catamarans in particular, you have to pay about 40-60 dollars to take lessons if you don’t already know how to use them. There are a fair number of jet skis and boats pulling parasailers, but it didn’t get to the point where the noise bothered us on the beach. There are 2-3 security guards on the beach most of the day, so we felt that our things were secure in our bags when we were out in the water and did not witness or hear of any incidents that would indicate otherwise. Overall, the beach was the highlight of the resort and we ended up spending the majority of our time lounging under their beautiful palm trees or in their hammocks.

Food and Drink

We both thought the food was excellent. For breakfast and lunch you have one or two food options: the buffet or the 24 hour courtesy lounge that always has drinks and snack foods like nachos and tacos. Needless to say you end up eating at the buffet most of those two meals, but it isn’t really that much of a problem because there is a pretty large selection of high quality food. For dinner, we ended up trying 4 of the 5 specialty restaurants. The restaurants require reservations to be made the day of between 8am and 10am due to the limited seating. We were unable to get reservations at the Italian restaurant despite showing up at about 8:15am on a couple of occasions, so plan to get there early if you want a reservation at either that restaurant or the steakhouse. The Japanese themed restaurant was the least busy. Each restaurant has a fixed menu with 2-4 options each for your main course, appetizers and desserts. We found the food to be very high quality. Our favorites were the steakhouse and the Mexican themed restaurant.

With respect to the drinks, the resort offers a variety of liquors, but really only one beer: Dos Equis. Luckily for me I enjoy Dos Equis and did not have a problem with this. We did find the mixed drinks a little watered down however, and resorted to ordering doubles (which would be singles here in the states) towards the end of the trip.

The service by all of the staff is wonderful. I cannot recall one occasion in dealing with any of the employees here when they were not attentive and polite. The hotel staff at the front desk was helpful, welcoming and efficient upon check in. Every bartender and waiter was on the spot with the drinks.

Overall, we would not hesitate to go back to this resort despite the couple little issues listed. They certainly did not detract from our overall experience and we definitely came away feeling that we experienced a luxury vacation at an incredible value.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the courtyard view and ask for a room in the area of the hotel closest to the beach...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank BobbyB22
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My Wife & I stayed at the Riu Palace for 2 weeks in July. We travelled both ways on the new Thomsons Dreamliner, & upgraded to the Premium Cabin..WOW! A totally amazing flight with great food, the most comfortable seats with masses of legroom & brilliant entertainment from the stowaway console screen. The service from the stewards was first class, the 9 hour flights were a real pleasure, cant see us travelling long haul on any other flights in the future.
We have stayed at many other RIU hotels in the past, in all honesty the RIU palace Mexico far exceeded all of them. It has recently been refurbished to a very high contemporary standard, the rooms were smart & very comfortable, with the service from the Hotel Staff first class. We dined at all of the 5 al la carte restaurants during our stay, again we could not fault or criticise the quality of service, or the lovely food on offer. The main Buffet restaurant was excellent, with attentive waiter service providing drinks on tap, the food was amazing, where else would you have lobster & fillet steak on a buffet menu? The deserts were to die for, in fact we had to skip lunch most days to avoid piling on the pounds! The hotel location is in a prime position on a beautiful Carribean beach where we spent most of our days. The pools were nice although they did get quite crowded most days, with the swim-up pool bar frequented by our noisy American friends, who also made full use of the all inclusive drinks on offer!
The hard working waiters delivererd a constant flow of drinks to you on the beach, cocktails, beer,soft drinks & water, it is only right to tip them a few dollars now & again as they really do deserve it working in 40c heat! The Hotel Staff were really friendly & genuinely wanted to make you as comfortable as possible, nothing seemed too much trouble.
All in all this was a totally indulgent holiday, great food, service & accomodation that you will in our opinion find very hard to beat. We dont normally return to the same Hotel as we like to enjoy as much variety as possible, but we will definately consider coming back at some time in the future.

Room Tip: Our room faced the Courtyard overlooking the main ballroom, but was not too noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple