I want to begin by saying that I am no stranger to all inclusive resorts, having stayed at numerous Iberostars and Rius in Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica. I have also previously stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico, prior to it being remodeled in Fall 2012. I wanted to write a review back then, since even then it was the best vacation I have ever taken, but never did. This time, I promised myself that I would. Three words can really sum up my experience at Riu Palace Mexico - BEST VACATION EVER.
This was a couples trip, just my boyfriend and I (I am 23, he 28). This resort was perfect. From the incredible instantaneous service, to the gorgeous split level room, to the beautiful brand new pool, to the breathtaking lobby with royal purple everywhere, to the crystal clear blue ocean and white sands....just everything. If you open up this resort's website, the pictures do not lie. In fact, they don't even do it justice. Everything is as gorgeous and pristine as they advertise.
I want to say thank you to Hiram - he knew our drink orders (Don Julio chilled, por favor and a Cerveza and Margarita) before we even sat down, and had them ready without us even having to order, to Mateo at the pool bar, to Enrique and Cindy for the daily beach activities (volleyball and water aerobics), and just overall to all the friendly staff.
Some of the things that really stood out - THE ROOM. Absolutely gorgeous and brand new. The shower was standalone, with one of those ceiling mount rainfall showerheads ( I told my boyfriend I'll never enjoy another shower again!), there was a whirlpool bathtub that separated the shower/sink/bathroom (its own separate little room) area from the rest of the room. The bed was massive and SO comfortable, no issues sleeping at all. There was nice-sized flat screen (never used by us.. what's the point?), and the 2 steps that led to the other part of the room with a table with 2 chairs, a nice couch with a coffee table, and the balcony. And free WIFI in the room to keep in touch with your relatives.
The SERVICE - I want to reiterate how incredibly amazing the service there is. We always tip, so I am sure that had something to do with the promptness of us being served, but I truly believe that a little bit goes a long way. The people there are extremely hard workers, and work around the clock. We appreciate their dedication in making sure we have an incredible and relaxing vacation, so a couple bucks a night isn't going to break my bank.
The AMENITIES - There are 4 (or 5?) other Rius on the Playacar strip, and you are able to go to all of them (they only ask that you eat dinner at your own resort). We didn't really see much reason to go outside of our resort for the day since it was PERFECT there as it is, but the evening was a different thing. We are hockey fans, and our favorite Chicago Blackhawks were playing their first postseason series. Say hello to the Sports bar across the street at Riu Tequila. They had the channel showing the game and we were able to enjoy our favorite team all the way from Mexico, in an all-inclusive setting. The alcohol across the street is definitely much worse - No Don Julio :) - so we made sure to pre-game at Palace Mexico. There is also a Disco there, which we definitely had a late night at one of the nights that we met another couple and spent the evening with them. It's obviously not a downtown club (far from it), but they play decent music and hey, why not. For those who are interested in going to to CocoBongo or Senor Frogs, there were at least 2 or 3 times that our hotel staff would organize nightly outings there, they would hook it up with a bracelet and transportation deals. We are from Chicago and our purpose of this trip was relaxation, and we have plenty of bars and clubs to go out to while we are back home anyways. So we did not participate in going out to the clubs, but met others who did and said it was a lot of fun.
Overall, I can really not say enough good things about our experience at this resort. WILL DEFINITELY BE SEEING YOU AGAIN, RIU PALACE MEXICO!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen