We just returned from staying a week at the Riu Palace Mexico, Mar.2-9, 2013. Had never been to an all inclusive resort before and had a fabulous time. Visited the other four Riu's within walking distance and thought the Mexico was top notch and the nicest of the five Riu's. We had reservations at the Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse, and the Krystal. All were quite good with several choices. Yes, you have to be at the lounge by 8am to get a reservation, didn't seem to be a problem with us. The buffet had so many choices, the food was just as good. The men have wear long pants at dinner, in the buffet also. Breakfast and lunch, men do not have to wear long pants. The pool side buffet at lunch was absolutely wonderful, it is at the Steakhouse. We were at the pool and just threw on a pair of shorts and was able to eat there. They also set up a lunch buffet on the beach. Plently of chairs at the beach and the four pools. The gounds are beautifully manicured and the staff are always working.
Our room was always cleaned and stocked daily with towels and beverages. They serve Tecate Light and Dos Equis, no domestic beer. The bed was HUGE, two queens put together. There was a curtain to seperate the bath area, not a problem for the two of us but could be for a family. We had a garden view and enjoyed our patio every morning with our coffee and people watched. We were on the main floor and it was a little damp, at first, but you are at the caribbean, what do you expect? The dampness seemed to come and go, on the main floor, just shut your patio door and turn on the air, when you leave your room. The main floor was easy access, rooms are between the main hotel and the pool/beach, easy walk to both places. The shower was wonderful with plenty of hot water. Never had been to this Riu before, but the new renovations in Fall 2012 are fresh and art deco, the main thing is.....I like clean and new! Great service in all areas, everyone was friendly and helpful.
A few people picked up a 24 hour bug with aches, vomiting and diarrhea, we did not, so not sure what that was?
It was a wonderful vacation and a great place to stay, we definitely would return to Riu Palace Mexico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen