“Awesome”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #31 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Hotel staff were great Our room was all we could of asked for .. The food was great too. A lot of variety in your meals. Elmer was SO helpful & friendly everyday at breakfast & lunch . Made us feel welcome. Would go back in a heart beat !

Room Tip: Any room is a good one
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Polly S

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over xmas and new year for our honeymoon. The hotel is amazing, newly refurbished to a high standard. We were upgraded to a sea view room with compliments from hotel. The room was fantastic, huge beds, room for cot space for our baby and a single bed in a lower section for our elder son. The Jacuzzi bath was brilliant! The service we received was second to none, the staff were so polite and couldn't do enough for us, always a smile and hola for the kids. More than enough Sunbeds round the 4 pools. The beach is stunning! Food was gorgeous, so much to choose from. The drinks were fab and good choice of cocktails! I could go on for hours about how amazing this place is. I cant wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank loveholidays2011
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here as a family of 8 on Feb 28th - 14th March 2013. This was my first time in Mexico and I adore the place. The hotel oozes class and the service is amazing. Not once did I que for food or drinks. In admittance the cocktails can be too sweet but if you ask for strong ones they will make them to your needs. Reception was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble, I had a dental problem out there and had to have treatment from the dentist in 5th Avenue, they were fantastic. You can get taxi from outside your hotel and they are very trustworthy. Food was fab, buffet is just as good as the speciality resturants. We gave quite a few tips and they are so grateful - the staff are worth their weight in gold. There are a few mosquitos there- horrible lil things but I used repel which kept the bites at a bay... You can use all the other riu hotels in the area. The Tequlia is the party hotel. I visted a few of the riu hotels including the rivera maya and the riu palace is the best by far. Enjoy your holiday you lucky people, id go back there tomorrow. It has been the best hotel Ive ever stayed in!

Room Tip: We had room 2129, top floor sea front view, the best rooms so if you can try and get it..
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank michaeldoel
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We vacationed at the RIU Palace Feb 17-23rd, 2013. This was our first time to stay at a RIU and we will definitely be back again and again. I researched alot of resorts along with this one to make my decision. After many negatives about the refurb we decided t give it a shot anyway. All I can say is I am SO glad we didn't listen to the bad reviews.
We booked through Apple Vacations. That in itself was an amazing experience except for the shuttle to the resort. It took over an hour to arrive to the Palace after getting on the shuttle because we stopped at 3 other resorts along the way. But really no big deal.
Arriving at the Palace was awesome. We were immediately greeted by Manuel and welcomed with a fruity drink. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready.
Upon entering the hotel we were blown away. The purple and silver are not at all whatI expected (I expected to hate it from the pics I had seen) ...the place was stunning!!!! I LOVED the room! Although it was just the hubby and I, if we had the kids it would not be ideal or private but for two of us it was perfect. The shower and tub were awesome. Great water pressure and HOT water! Toilet "closet" was small, but not a big issue. We had a king sized bed and it was the most comfortable bed we have ever had in a hotel. Good mix of american tv channels on the tv, although we weren't in the room alot to watch it. Maids were amazing!! Always had fresh towels and a stocked fridge. A huge shout out to our housekeeper "NATY". She made us feel so special by decorating our bed and room the whole week for our Anniversary!
*Our room was #1128 which is at the very end of the hotel facing the pools. It was very private and VERY quiet. After seeing reviews it was noisy we were a little concerned but we were pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was . I loved this room because we were close to pool and beach and could see the ocean from our balcony.
*We are not big party people so this resort is perfect. If you are expecting a party crowd this would not be the resort for you. There was always nightly entertainment and beach BBQ's but not real late and not loud drunks all over. We went to relax and unwind and it is the perfect place for that. There was a "white Party" one night on the beach that was a lot of fun with ice sculptures and great grilled food, but that's about as wild as it got :)
*Food was great! We are from beef/pork country so we were a little skeptical but it was all wonderful. We ate at the Steakhouse twice, Mexican once, and the buffet the rest of the time! Thank you to Raoul, Luis, Elmer, & Luis Miguel for your wonderful service! They were great! After one day there they knew our names!!!!
*Beach was the best I have ever seen. Perfect clear turquoise water, lots of loungers, and great drink service!!
*Pools were great and warm while we were there.Pool bar was so fun and we quickly became HUGE fans of Armando & Daniel at the bar. We cannot wait to go back to visit with them again. They were always making us something new and sending it out to us when we were by the pool. And always asking if everything was OK!
I emailed Ildiko in advance that it would be for our anniversary and all week they treated us as if we were important and made us feel so special. We got balloons one day, champagne in our room another day, a special chocolate cake at the steakhouse one night, and lots of rose petals on our bed.
We have nothing bad to say about this place at all. Loved that we could go to other RIU's (however after doing that we realized the Palace was the best), this is the cleanest resort I have ever seen, and the STAFF is beyond amazing. Very hard working, polite people. Everyone always spoke and made sure we didn't need anything. Kudos to everyone that makes the Palace a place we will return to again and again!!!

Room Tip: We emailed in advance and got a 2nd floor room with a private balcony that overlooked the pools and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank vacationrocks
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our second visit to the Riu Palace Mexico and enjoyed it as much as the first. The staff, especially Raul, Santoya ,Edgar, and Sandra our housekeeper, were outstanding. We felt very much at home with them. Everything was excellent, from the room, front desk, grounds, pools, and food.The buffet was extremely good with so many selections and excellent quality. We had a tour of the main kitchen area and could of eaten off the floor, it was that clean! Privacy in the bathroom area could be a concern to some. A curtain dividing the area would have been nice. Some of the rooms do have them but not all. Only one complaint-We were wishing to go to someplace different next year but we were so spoiled at this place, we want to come back for a third time. WHY GO ANYWHERE ELSE. It was that GREAT!!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I believe this was my 5th visit to Mexico. One visit to a border town so that goes with out saying much, except don't visit border towns! I was impressed with the "enclosed" or gated area this resort was located in. Nice area and we felt very safe and secure. The resort was great! The staff was very accommodating, friendly, and hard working! So refreshing! By the third day my bartender had my chilled white wine in front of me at the Piano Bar before I even ask! Nice! I am frequent traveler per business so things like the bartender knowing your drink is a treat but usually reserved for places you stay often! My food experience in Mexico has always been challenging, however it seemed much better this time! I don't know if it was just this resort or its just been a couple years and the quality is just better every where per their tourist areas. The beach was spectacular! Pool area smaller than other resorts I have been to in Mexico but well thought out, with plenty of chairs! Shower was a rainfall shower, wonderful with great water pressure! Hot too! Everything was clean and updated. They also seem to have control over bugs and pests! (IE;Mosquitos) I guess if I had any advice to this resort it would be keep hiring great people per your employees, expand your wine list and maybe tell the Wynn Resort next door to possibly turn down their music after midnight.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Dpingle
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have just read a review (panser187209) cannot believe we went to the same hotel. The transfer time is roughly 45mins on an aircon coach. The moment we arrived at the hotel we were delighted. We requested a high room (only 3 floors anyway) and this was what we got. The room was such a WOW factor and the whole holiday did not change. My only comment would be the balcony was quite small and not very private, but good enough to sit on and relax for the little time you spend in your room. The main buffet was another WOW factor so much choice and such good quality, the smoothies at breakfast, are to dye for, even champagne if you want it, the chocolate fountain at dinner superb I could go on and on praising this hotel. There isnt a minute of the day when you cannot eat or drink, the 24 hour lounge area was great if you were up before breakfast, lovely coffee, even optics on tap 24/7. You can go to any of the Riu hotels in the Playacar area which is also a bonus. The entertainment was really good too, every night something different.

We were there 21st Feb - 28th Feb and wish we could have got a 10 day holiday but they were all gone when we booked.

The weather was in the mid 80s but with a strong wind which meant the red flat was up most days, but there were lots of people in the sea enjoying the waves, just not going out too far as the current was quite strong. Beautiful sandy beach and the colour of the sea is just perfect. As you can see I cannot praise the hotel enough and would most certainly recommend to people.

Just another word on the restaurants, we found there was such a good choice and good quality in the main buffet we certainly didnt need to try the individual restaurants.

Room Tip: I would say high floor as there are only 3 floors anyway