To begin, my husband and I (both in our late 30’s) are seasoned veterans of all-inclusive resorts all over Mexico and the Caribbean. We’ve stayed at some very high end resorts like the Iberostar Grand in Rivieria Maya and Sandal’s in Jamaica. Let me just tell you, that our week at the RIU Palace Mexico was our best stay yet!! This resort does everything right!
The room was gorgeous and spotlessly cleaned each day by lunchtime. We absolutely loved the large shower and double bowl sink vanity, which made getting ready for dinner a breeze. The shower pressure and hot water were excellent which is not the case at many resorts! Our mini bar was replenished each day, and we loved the balcony that looked onto the beautiful grounds. We enjoyed the crisp white design and accompanying linens.
The food was excellent and plentiful. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning. We did notice that the hotel has cut portion sizes down which was a welcome change, in our opinion. We had lunch at the beach buffet, and it was adequate. After breakfast each morning, we’d get a reservation for dinner that evening. Personally, I love the first come first serve way they do it each day. I’ve been to resorts that allow people to make reservations via email for the entire week in advance. Therefore, when you actually get to the hotel all of the reservations are taken. I think this way puts everyone on the same playing field. We ate at the Asian restaurant twice and loved it. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. Our least favorite was the Steakhouse, but it was still okay. The evenings we ate dinner at the buffet it was also excellent.
Pool and Beach. We did play the towel game each day, but it wasn’t necessary. We are morning people, so that’s always been a part of our routine. The waiters at the pools are fantastic. You never were more than a couple of minutes away from being asked if you’d like anything. There are plenty of loungers and umbrellas, and the beach bar is a wonderful place to get a cocktail and watch the ocean. We are pool people, but I can report the beach is wonderful. It’s flat and there are an abundance of chairs and shade available.
Other things. I really enjoyed the beautiful gym. The cardio equipment is set in front of a huge wall of windows that look out onto the resort. The coffee bar is a great addition. We really enjoyed being able to get a great cup of coffee. The lobby bar is a wonderful place to grab a pre-dinner cocktail. Even though we didn’t use it, I love the idea of the 24 hour café. That is a wonderful addition. The hotel features free wifi that I never had a problem accessing or getting a signal on.
In conclusion, this is a wonderful resort with fabulous service. I’d suggest it to anyone, and we will be back. Please disregard the negative reviews. This resort is a treat, and we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen