“riu palace”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #29 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“riu palace”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I would like to say i have been to this hotel many times with my family and 2 children.we have booked for October 2013 for 3 weeks and I can say a lot of people have said that children are splashing around in the pool and to make it adults only .I'm sorry but family's take there children away and yes children can be noisy but to say riu need to make there hotels adults only I disagree.me and my family are loyal customers with riu and will continue returning to this hotel there are plenty of adults only resorts in Mexico but this 1 isn't.this the rip palace Mexico is are second home and the staff we have made friends with out there are like family to us, we can't wait to go back and see the whole new renovations there have made but we know we not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms over courtyard
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank 5379

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Mason, OH
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went on the all-inclusive plan here in January 2013. This place was newly renovated 4th quarter of 2012. It is beautiful, done in a more modern style. The liquor was mostly brand name, the service was excellent all the way around. The food was good, not gourmet by any means but good all the same. They had entertainment every night which was comparable to any other all-inclusive. My only complaint is that the rooms were somewhat damp for some reason...I'm not sure if it was the weather or what. I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jaggrl
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

repeat guests.
we have already booked a three week break for this december 2013.
We have been checking disappointing and reviews after refurbishment.
Privacy issues in room, Noisy corridors and children splashing in swim up bar could all be easily resolved by making this an adults only hotel. which is badly needed in the riu chain in mexico..
seems a shame that riu arent getting this quite right and are going to lose loyal customes
we are considering changing our holiday to another hotel as are other guests before us have commented

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marydoll167
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family and I enjoyed this hotel from January 5th through January 12th. We have been to several other hotels in Riviera Maya, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta. Riu Palace Mexico has been the best experience we've ever had. The food here was outstanding. There were regularly 4 hot food stations and 3 cold food stations at every dinner. The same was true for lunch. I had sushi every day. The cuisine never got old. The Mexican food was absolutely delicious. My family and I did not eat at any of the restaurants, because we do not like dinner being a 2 hour affair.

The pool area has been renovated nicely. There are 4 pools, and each pool has its own designated activity. One pool is for aerobics and volleyball; another is for swimming; one is for the swim up bar, and the final one has a wheel chair ramp.

The beach was absolutely amazing. If you are used to the beaches in Cancun, you're missing out if you don't come to a hotel in Playa Del Carmen. There are several hundred chairs on the beach with equal access to the sun or shade. The ocean has nice waves that will get you if you're not careful. We lost 2 pair of sunglasses while wading. There are virtually no rocks under the water. Just sand. This is a welcome change from Cancun.

I had 3 issues with the hotel that were overall minor annoyances. First, I literally got 50 bug bites. I could see the workers spraying for bugs, and the maids had raid in their arsenal when they were cleaning the rooms. I stayed on the bottom floor, so I wonder if it would be better on the upper floors and on the plaza view vs the walk view. I thought the mosquitoes in our room would get full and leave me alone eventually, but no. I walked to the pharmacy at Riu Yucatan and bought some extra strength itch medicine. If mosquitoes like you, please consider buying Off as soon as you get there.

Second, I stayed with a friend vs a significant other. I do like the hotel remodel, except there is virtually no privacy in the bedrooms. We took to changing in the shower, because the bathroom was too small to do anything but sit in. The actual toilet rooms get hot if you're sitting there too long.

And Finally, I think the drinks were way watered down. What should have been a strong drink with two shots out of the bottles in our rooms were strong drinks with 5 shots from those same bottles. The same appeared to be true for drinks served at the bar. We took to ordering doubles, and that made things better. Pro Tip: Drinks by the pool are served in a 6 ounce glass. Bring your own plastic mug. They are more than willing to put your drinks in a larger cup if you bring them one.

I've been to three or four Riu Palaces, and this one definitely is the best. I love the remodel, and I can't really imagine going anywhere else. If I could do it again, I'd bring OFF. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I was on the bottom floor on the walk side of the hotel. I got attacked by mosquitoes all week. I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MexicoPro
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were at the RIU Palace Mexico two years ago and it was a lovely resort and very "palace" looking in every way. They have recently made extreme changes to the resort going from an elegant White and wrought iron, to grey's, blacks, and purples that resembles a teenagers night club.
My niece had booked her wedding here, and was not informed by either the RIU nor her travel agent that this resort would be under renovations let alone that the reno's would be so severe in change.
Due to the renovations, not everything was complete of course in time for the wedding. There were still boards everywhere lying around, unfinished bits and pieces everywhere....they were still finishing laying the steps to the beach with the mortor, and a lot of the greenery was damaged when it was moved around. The palm trees were all dead at the top,,,,,not a big deal but for a wedding it's a really big deal!
I think the RIU was only interested in getting the booking of the wedding party rather than making sure their customers were satisfied.
We stayed at the sister resort *Riu Palace Riviera Mexico* thank goodness as this resort when the wedding guest arrived, they were not prepared and they had the guests switching rooms for two days before they finally go things all figured out.
The wedding planners that showed up very unkempt (full of paint!) At the beach wedding they were supposed to keep the crowds of people back, but neglected to do this as we were in a small roped off section of the beach with sunbathers to our left and to our right that got up right away as soon as the ceremony began and were getting in way of our pictures.
The sound system did not work, and instead of holding off until it was fixed the minister just continued on as the sound crackled in and out and oddly the minister didn't speak up so we could here him.
Thank goodness for the Best man directing us where to go as the wedding planners were no where to be found. After the wedding the planners are to gather the things of the wedding for the bride and groom and they just threw them into a bag RUINING the glass full of sand spilling it everywhere. *bride and groom pour the sands of two colors into a glass container as the two become one* This is something that is now unfix able- you can not get that moment back where they made their first married wedding design of joining together.
I agree, this is not a major catastrophe however when you pay a large amount of money to have things looked after and the RIU acts without fear of any retribution
The food for the dinner was good, but nothing special and you are hurried out of the room after you are done eating, so you might as well eat at the buffet and save some money.
The SUITES ARE SMALLER!!! Yes they have decided to take away a lot of your space in the suites,,,,we noticed there is now a large utility closet beside your suite that would have been part of your walk in closet.
The resort still has it's fine workers on the resort there to help and do their best, so this report is NOT A REFLECTION OF THE WORKERS. Of course you will always find anywhere one worker that goes above and beyond and the next that is lazy and the RIU is no different. The entertainment workers at the RIU are amongst the hardest working there....if you need help for anything turn to these folks as they are full of energy and will make your trip memorable and great!
My review of the spa....due to the high cost of rent at the RIU's you can go down town and get the same massages, pedicures and manicures for a fraction for the fraction of the cost. They instill in you "fear" that it will not be as good a quality downtown Playa del Carmen but I assure you *being a cosmetologist myself* that "KRISTINE'S" right at the edge of town is totally up to standard and sanitary practices and prices are fantastic by comparison to about 1/4 of what the RIU will charge you!!!
Cleanliness, Riu's are always kept impeccably clean so hats off to the maids! Activities ... I'd compare this resorts action level to that of an old age home lol. If you are coming simply to lay around on a beach, and be slightly pampered then this is the place for you. If you prefer a more lively palace, then the Riu Palace Riviera Maya is a little more lively *but not much*. The Riu Tequilla has the disco, and of course a much younger crowd, and a lot more excitement. By staying at this resort you can also visit the rest of the resorts..and the disco is only across the street.
NOTE: "tip to receive service" Not just this hotel,,,it would appear in Mexico in general now they expect to get big tips....so he who tips the most, get the best service as we tested this theory and were proven to be totally correct.
Not a horrible hotel, however it has lost its class and elegance on a personal note. I would like to see them take responsibility for the mess they left my niece in for her wedding. She basically had to wait around *she and the other 19 members of the wedding group* to be there until they figured out the correct rooms wasting 2 full days of her 7 day trip. A reputable hotel for a regular traveler would do something to correct this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank pamnrandy
Dundurn, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend this resort for relaxing.
The lobster ceviche is delectable. Buffet is very good quality with vast selection. Great authentic dishes as well as American variety for all palates.
Very fine beach with plenty of lounger selection.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank ThatInspector
Dumas, Arkansas
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My travel buddy and I visited this resort about two years ago and loved it so we decided to go see how it was after the refurbishment. I knew what to expect sort of because I have been to the new RIU Peninsula, with the new color scheme and pools, etc...This was my 4th trip to a RIU Palace and I keep going back because the service has always been so excellent.
This trip was slightly disappointing.
This resort had the old Mexico charm and they have ruined that with the new style but I can overlook that. Several of the employees were great standouts with service but all the other trips all of the staff have been outstanding - it just wasn't up to expectation. Several of our servers at dinner were just plain bad. My other complaint was the buffet. No matter what time of day you went there were lots of dishes empty. They just weren't keeping up with the food and almost nothing was marked as to what it was. Strange but large variety. Our doors to the balcony wouldn't close all the way even when locked and our room stayed sorta damp feeling.
We used Olympus tours for the shuttle service and had no problems.
The bellman who greeted us was very pleasant but our check in seemed a bit rushed. Room 1065 facing the courtyard. Balcony wall is stone and high so when seated, you can't see anything. Bathroom is smaller than they were and there is absolutely no privacy at all. Also, no room to store anything. We had to put our bathroom supplies in the tub. Halls are loud.
The beach bar is gone and they have one or two servers bringing around pre-made drinks. You will get thirsty. On the positive - the beach is still amazing!!!
The pool area is a series of small pools and what appears to be an amazing infinity pool is really only about 8 inches deep. Pepsi products served. Internet is hit and miss. It was hard to find out what the entertainment was during the day or night. The staff didn't come around asking people to get involved as much as they used to.
For the positives: Again, the beach is amazing. The food in the restaurants were very good and we tried all of them except the Mexican one. Krystal and the Italian were really excellent meals.
David, the piano player is still there and excellent enjoyment for the lobby bar. Especially with Maria Elana keeping our cocktails fresh. She was great. Our other favorite bartender was Jeronimo at the pool bar. They both remembered our preferences with a smile.
Shows were good-Michael Jackson being the fav. Beds and pillows are comfy!
Weather was great and overall we had a good time. I think maybe due to re-opening so recently things were just not quite up to par yet. Not sure.
Would I return again to this RIU, probably not. Especially after being told that they are trying to market more to the younger crowd and will be getting more 'techno' music, etc...Thinking of trying one in DR or Aruba next, or hate to say it, another chain if this is the direction all RIU are going to go.

Room Tip: Get a balcony facing inside the courtyard without a stone wall, but with a glass wall.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank goodgame123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!