“Second trip = slight disappointment” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #25 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dumas, Arkansas
“Second trip = slight disappointment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

My travel buddy and I visited this resort about two years ago and loved it so we decided to go see how it was after the refurbishment. I knew what to expect sort of because I have been to the new RIU Peninsula, with the new color scheme and pools, etc...This was my 4th trip to a RIU Palace and I keep going back because the service has always been so excellent.
This trip was slightly disappointing.
This resort had the old Mexico charm and they have ruined that with the new style but I can overlook that. Several of the employees were great standouts with service but all the other trips all of the staff have been outstanding - it just wasn't up to expectation. Several of our servers at dinner were just plain bad. My other complaint was the buffet. No matter what time of day you went there were lots of dishes empty. They just weren't keeping up with the food and almost nothing was marked as to what it was. Strange but large variety. Our doors to the balcony wouldn't close all the way even when locked and our room stayed sorta damp feeling.
We used Olympus tours for the shuttle service and had no problems.
The bellman who greeted us was very pleasant but our check in seemed a bit rushed. Room 1065 facing the courtyard. Balcony wall is stone and high so when seated, you can't see anything. Bathroom is smaller than they were and there is absolutely no privacy at all. Also, no room to store anything. We had to put our bathroom supplies in the tub. Halls are loud.
The beach bar is gone and they have one or two servers bringing around pre-made drinks. You will get thirsty. On the positive - the beach is still amazing!!!
The pool area is a series of small pools and what appears to be an amazing infinity pool is really only about 8 inches deep. Pepsi products served. Internet is hit and miss. It was hard to find out what the entertainment was during the day or night. The staff didn't come around asking people to get involved as much as they used to.
For the positives: Again, the beach is amazing. The food in the restaurants were very good and we tried all of them except the Mexican one. Krystal and the Italian were really excellent meals.
David, the piano player is still there and excellent enjoyment for the lobby bar. Especially with Maria Elana keeping our cocktails fresh. She was great. Our other favorite bartender was Jeronimo at the pool bar. They both remembered our preferences with a smile.
Shows were good-Michael Jackson being the fav. Beds and pillows are comfy!
Weather was great and overall we had a good time. I think maybe due to re-opening so recently things were just not quite up to par yet. Not sure.
Would I return again to this RIU, probably not. Especially after being told that they are trying to market more to the younger crowd and will be getting more 'techno' music, etc...Thinking of trying one in DR or Aruba next, or hate to say it, another chain if this is the direction all RIU are going to go.

Room Tip: Get a balcony facing inside the courtyard without a stone wall, but with a glass wall.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank goodgame123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Briefly about how and how often we vacation. I think people need to know in order to judge whether or not this review is helpful to them. We have gone somewhere in the Caribbean or Mexico every January of our marriage and we have been married 15 years. We always do an all inclusive (minus 2 cruises) with a rating of 4 or 5 stars. I hope this helps you make your decision.

The Property:
The hotel is a U shape with the lobby at the base of the U. Our room was at about the midpoint of one of the legs of the U. This put it about 100 yards away from the pool and the beach was about another 25 yards further. A bit of a walk back and forth from the pool and the room. This is standard for Plya, we have been there before, because hotels are not allowed to build very high (I think it is 3 stories but not sure). In order to get the rooms they require they have to build out and not up. Most properties there built back away from the beach instead of owning a very large beachfront. Not the biggest deal but it does make it so you will not have an ocean view, or even a pool view. If that is important to you another city would be a better choice. At lease ask for a courtyard view. It gives you something to look at off your balcony. If not all you will see is the back of the resort next door.

Being newly remodeled everything was nice, new, and clean. The décor was horrible. It was very modern and the purple and pink were, in my opinion, quite ugly. With that said it didn’t affect my vacation. You forget about it after awhile. What I have found is most the vacation spots on the east side of Mexico have a more European design. If you are looking for the thatch roof “tropical/Mexican” style the west side has more of that.

The rooms have a ridicules setup with no specific bathroom per say because there are no walls around it as many others have talked about. It didn’t affect us because it was just the 2 of us. It would be really really bad however if you had anything more than just one married couple sharing a room (i.e. mom dad and older kids, extended family, or friends).

The pool area is a big part of our vacation enjoyment. We thought the layout was not very good. There are four separate pools, one being a kids pool. In the nine days we were there I never saw one kid in that pool. Because the swim up bar pool is the shallowest all the kids, mostly unsupervised, were playing and splashing in the swim up bar pool. When there were kids that were supervised their parents didn’t seem to care that they were splashing water everywhere and getting it in peoples drinks. Because of the 3 pools (excluding kids pool) being separate there is not really any atmosphere. We like to have it a little more livelily. Not spring break like (we are in our mid 40s) but some music, not really loud but a decent level to listen to. We did like the tables in the pool. That was unique and it was fun to be in the water with a drink and play some dice games. We did this several times and was a great way to hang out and stay cool. We also meet several very nice people this way.

The Staff:
As with most all A/Is the staff was very friendly, maybe even more so than others. Every time you came across one they always had a smile on and would greet you very friendly. The biggest problem we had was that their activities staff was almost nonexistent. The staff they had trying to do activities were not very personable and just not nearly as good at their job as ALL other A/Is we have been to. They would do things like horse shoes, darts, volleyball, ping pong, and dance lessons. The problem is there was no list of when they were going to do these things and you almost never heard them going around the pool telling quests. Most places have very good activities staff that get people involved and make it much more fun. The other problem is they often did these activities at the same time which splits up the people that want to participate and makes it so only 2 or 3 people are participating at any one activity. Again this contributes to a very boring and subdued atmosphere around the pool.

The Food/Drinks:
The food was probably the best food we have ever had at an A/I. The buffet had many many selections, more so than other A/Is. If you couldn’t find something you liked then you cannot be pleased when it comes to food.

They have a dress code for men for the buffet which we have never seen before and I find ridicules for a buffet. Men must have on long pants, but I saw several women with “booty” shorts and tank tops. I actually saw one woman with lace short shorts and a ratty tank top with her bra hanging out. Not a big deal to me, I was at a buffet, but to require men to have on long pants is silly. You are on a tropical vacation and at a buffet. We didn’t see that requirement anywhere on their website. If someone went there with the plan to just eat at the buffet so they didn’t bother to bring long pants they would not be able to eat at the A/I they had paid for.

We usually do as many of the specialty restaurants as we can but at this resort we only did them 3 times because the buffet was so good. The steak restaurant was good, we went there twice and had steak and lobster both times. The Mexican restaurant was not very good and most of it was a buffet anyway. I try to have as much Mexican food as I can when we are in Mexico because I love it so much and this restaurant left a lot to be desired. The process of booking the specialty restaurants was a joke. You have to go every day and book just for that day, no planning out two or three days in advance. Most A/Is let you do at least 3 days at a time so you can plan your week with excursions and trips to town and things like that. The only good thing was that the late seating is almost never booked up and that is when we like to eat. If you were trying to book the early seating you were out of luck unless you were down there about an hour before the time to schedule was open. (I think they opened the scheduling at 8:30 every morning).

One thing that was better than many A/Is is that there was a snack place open 24/7. This is good for between lunch and late dinner, late at night after some time at the disco, or before heading to the airport when lunch isn’t open yet.

The drinks were some of the worst we have had. They tasted ok which is better than one or two places we have been but put almost no alcohol in them. A few times I watched them and they literally didn’t put any I mean any alcohol in the drink I ordered. You could also tell that the alcohol they did use was watered down. Also, I can’t speak for some of the other brands but, what was in the Barcardi bottles was not Barcardi. That is our drink of choice at home and I know it when I have it and that was not it. Several times I saw a bartender go get a brand new bottle of Barcardi and open it. Not once did the cap click as it was opened and separated from the safety ring. You could actually see it was a new and full bottle but the safety ring was not even attached. That means it is either watered down, something else has been put in there, or both. This didn’t ruin my vacation by no means, but don’t lie to me and tell me you have top shelf liquor and put something else in the bottle. I also know you can always ask for more alcohol in your drink but I don’t like to do that, it makes me feel like I am being rude. The thing that bothered me the most is lying to me about what brand you are pouring. I have been very happy at other A/Is with whatever brands they have but they didn’t try to say they are a top shelf resort with top shelf alcohol.

All in all it was an ok resort, probably in the middle of the pack of the 13 A/Is we have been to over the last 15 years. The problem is it was probably in the top 2 or 3 for price of the places we have stayed in Mexico. We would give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars but paid for 5, not a great deal. But one more time the food was GREAT!!!! I gained 10 lbs .

Ask any questions I will try to respond ASAP. I use many reviews and would like to help others with their vacations when possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view. It gives you something to look at off your balcony. If not all you will se...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Mark L
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just got back to Denver late Jan 15th. We've been to Cancun/Playacar about 8 times over the past 15 years and have stayed at 3 Palace's, to include the one in Cabo and Las Animas in Cancun. This was the best Palace we've stayed at by far, followed by the one in Cancun, with Cabo a distant last. I could not agree more with illinifann's comments--it's as if I wrote them. We did find, however, that the buffet food was as good as if not better than the speciality restaurants. We also found the wait staff to be a bit better at Don Julian (buffet)--they really worked hard to ensure you had everything you desired in prompt fashion. The only complaint I would raise was the quality of the wine--poor compared to Las Animas but much better than Cabo's (worst wine we have had at any RIU). The hotel "remodel" was much better than expected given some of the comments posted late last year. Regarding in-room privacy--the shower has a large "frosted" European shower door--you can literally walk into it fully clothed, undress, shower, dry off, and then get dressed again, without fear of getting seen by anyone in the room--we Americans are really hung up about nudity but I fully appreciate the concern when there are children in the room. The dimensions of the shower surprised us as they are about 4 feet by 4 feet with recessed shelves holding clean towels or your clothes--they don't get wet unless you get carried away with the hand-held shower--I used the overhead shower option--fabulous--and we had lots of water pressure and hot water. Regarding some earlier comments about lack of lounge chairs on the beach--there were sufficient numbers when we were there. We visited the RIU Yucatan--we have stayed there 3 times previously--and all agreed that the relatively small price increase at the Palace was well worth it. (We had forgotten how large the Yucatan was compared to the Palace). One last note regarding transportation to/from the airport. This was the first time we arranged to pay for "private transportation" to the resort. We have not had much success with previous Apple trips getting us from the airport to the resort and back over our 8 trips--a "milk-run" of sorts (i.e., stopping at many resorts before arriving at our resort). It was not worth the extra $100. Another couple from Denver took the Apple shuttle and arrived 5 mins after we did. On the return trip their shuttle left 5 mins before our private van--same type of van, by the way--and arrived 15 mins before we did. It appears that they are using more small vans like they did in the 1990's rather the the very large buses they began using in the early 2000's.
In closing, this was our best RIU experience to date: Great staff, wonderful facilities (Gym has new equipment too), good food and spectacular weather (ave temp was 85 degrees F.). One last tip--if you can fly on Tuesdays--the package price was several hundred dollars cheaper--all airfare driven. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We were on the fop floor and the only noise we heard was from the nightly entertainment, which was o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank Irwin08
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just got back from Riu Palace Mexico. I've been coming to Cancun/Riviera Maya for many years and have stayed at an assortment of AI's. The newly remodelled Palace is a great resort, the best I've been to. The rooms are nice, large, modern...love the large shower. Of course the stocked mini-fridge is an added bonus.

The specialty restaurants were all good and the steak house was surprisingly good. I usually don't get a tasty steak in Mexico but the ribeye that I had was very tasty. The Japanese place was also good.

The buffett was as good of a buffett as I have had in Mexico. Large selection and very tasty. In fact we strolled next door to the Riu Yucatan one day for lunch and were going to eat there but we noticed their buffett had about half the selection of the one at the Palace so we went back and ate at the Palace.

The new pool area is really nice, water was warm in the pools which isn't always the case at other places.

The bars are good with a decent selection of booze along with a couple of good beer choices. I also used the 24 lounge a few times, either for a quick beer or cocktail before venturing out to the resort or a quick cup of coffee in the morning. The 24 hour lounge also had internet access and a couple of flat screen TV's for the news or to catch a game. You could also get bottled waters, sodas and snacks at all times.

About the only thing that was slightly not up to par was the room service. We ate room service one night and the menu is fairly small and the club sandwich and ham sandwich with chips weren't the best. I understand a limited menu for room service so it wasn't a big deal.

Overall, a really good resort...I couldn't think of anything that warrants a complaint.

10 Thank illinifann
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 12/29-1/6/13.
Arrival- airport was crowded and it took 1.5 hours to get out. Than we spent another 2 hours waiting for transportation - Hotelbeds, which never came. Imagine yourself, 8 of us, with 3 kids, outside 90 degrees, no shade, no water( you afraid to leave to get some- what if the car will come). Never did, so we got one from a differed company, paid again and took off.
Check- in: was quick( too quick, as they forgot to give us towel cards and the explain that you need a code to access Internet - free access. We requested 2 rooms next to each other 6 months in advance, email 4 weeks prior and a phone call 48 hours prior- still didn't get it. Others that were checking in at the same time- did get it ???
Lobby- gorgeous. We like the new style and the colors.
Rooms: spacious, clean and comfortable. We liked the set up and the colors.Always cleaned by 2pm( we spent at the beach all day, so maybe earlier). Turn down- every day. The mini bar was always full. We had nice courtyard view.we had enough room to store our staff. Used jacuzzi ones- very nice. We had kind bed and it was comfy. Internet is very slow, but it was ok and as its free- it was nice to have it.
Grounds- meticulously clean, beautiful !
Tennis courts- were destroyed during remodeling, therefore currently under renovation. Should be ready in few weeks.
Gym- nice, with new equipment . We didn't use the spa as its very pricy, but did check out hot tubs: one had super hot water, second super cold. Pressure- visible, but one cannot feel it- like a bubble bath.
Pools- 4 separate ,great!!! Water was warm, pools were never crowded, despite the fact that hotel was full. I think layout has a lot to do with it. The bar by the pools was great, with premium drinks and nice cappuccino . You can sit down , listen to music and watch the ocean.We participated in lots of activities and liked it. The service by the pools was very good.
Beach- perfect! Never had issues with beach chairs. Water was super.
Restaurants- buffet had a very nice selection for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was boring. I was disappointed to find out they didn't make fresh juice. We used to have freshly squeezed orange juice at the other resorts we stayed. They have juice station, but it all mixed with water and orange juice is from the box. Food was good.
Dinner: we tried Japanese , Mexican and Krystal. All were good, with nice food presentation . We liked buffet better though.
The only really negative thing- the service at the restaurants- very slow and not always very accommodating. You can wait for 10 minutes to get your cup of coffee in the morning. You see lots of supervisors that all they do- watch. They will never bother to assist you. They will go and find a waiter and tell him what we need. It was a bit disappointing, especially taking into consideration that we always tip!
Never had issues at the bars, nor at the snack place. Anna was amazing! The piano bar is a nice touch. Cup of coffee in late afternoon, accompanied by great piano player- try and you will enjoy it!
New Year's Eve celebration was amazing: you can choose 2 sitting-6:30 and 8:45. The food was excellent ! Was very festive everywhere. We felt the celebration. After dinner there was an Authentic Mayan show ,followed by life band at the court yard. At midnight everyone got hats, masks , confetti and some more. With fine words by the manager Ildiko , we started the countdown . There were fireworks as well! It was memorable!
Check out- 10 seconds.
Summary- we had an amazing time and would go back again. Kids and adults alike.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here 3 years ago. Significant renovation to many parts. All modern decoration caters to younger generation. If you don't like the new modern design, then you should go to Riu Maya Riviera.

Like:
- All hotel staff are always friendly and very helpful
- Wifi access inside room and in a lot of places
- Quite public areas. The pools are quite empty
- Clean rooms.

Dislike:
- Hotel initially charged my US credit card in Mexican Peso. Talked to public relations and they immediately credited the original amount and recharge in US dollars. So make sure they charge in US dollars during check-in.
- Food was a quite salty at specialty restaurants, especially the Japanese restaurant.
- mosquito spray coming from central air conditioning leaves a faint smell for a couple of hours. Have to open walkout window.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We loved almost everything about our trip. The weather was great, the hotel beautiful.
True the drinks are watered down, but at an all inclusive if they served strong drinks there would be an awful lot of drunk people wandering around (My opinion).
The hotel staff was very friendly and very professional. The dinner buffet was decent, but the restaurants that you make reservations for were all very good. We dined at 4 of the 5 and the Mexican, Fusion and Italian were all first rate. Since the hotel is practically brand new everything looked amazing. It is by far the nicest all inclusive hotel we have ever stayed in. A side note there are 4 other Riu hotels very close and you can eat and drink at any of them (except dinner) We enjoyed wandering around the other hotels. The pools were extremely well maintained. Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. I really can't think of anything they could do to make the hotel any better.

11 Thank Vicki C
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,402 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!