My travel buddy and I visited this resort about two years ago and loved it so we decided to go see how it was after the refurbishment. I knew what to expect sort of because I have been to the new RIU Peninsula, with the new color scheme and pools, etc...This was my 4th trip to a RIU Palace and I keep going back because the service has always been so excellent.
This trip was slightly disappointing.
This resort had the old Mexico charm and they have ruined that with the new style but I can overlook that. Several of the employees were great standouts with service but all the other trips all of the staff have been outstanding - it just wasn't up to expectation. Several of our servers at dinner were just plain bad. My other complaint was the buffet. No matter what time of day you went there were lots of dishes empty. They just weren't keeping up with the food and almost nothing was marked as to what it was. Strange but large variety. Our doors to the balcony wouldn't close all the way even when locked and our room stayed sorta damp feeling.
We used Olympus tours for the shuttle service and had no problems.
The bellman who greeted us was very pleasant but our check in seemed a bit rushed. Room 1065 facing the courtyard. Balcony wall is stone and high so when seated, you can't see anything. Bathroom is smaller than they were and there is absolutely no privacy at all. Also, no room to store anything. We had to put our bathroom supplies in the tub. Halls are loud.
The beach bar is gone and they have one or two servers bringing around pre-made drinks. You will get thirsty. On the positive - the beach is still amazing!!!
The pool area is a series of small pools and what appears to be an amazing infinity pool is really only about 8 inches deep. Pepsi products served. Internet is hit and miss. It was hard to find out what the entertainment was during the day or night. The staff didn't come around asking people to get involved as much as they used to.
For the positives: Again, the beach is amazing. The food in the restaurants were very good and we tried all of them except the Mexican one. Krystal and the Italian were really excellent meals.
David, the piano player is still there and excellent enjoyment for the lobby bar. Especially with Maria Elana keeping our cocktails fresh. She was great. Our other favorite bartender was Jeronimo at the pool bar. They both remembered our preferences with a smile.
Shows were good-Michael Jackson being the fav. Beds and pillows are comfy!
Weather was great and overall we had a good time. I think maybe due to re-opening so recently things were just not quite up to par yet. Not sure.
Would I return again to this RIU, probably not. Especially after being told that they are trying to market more to the younger crowd and will be getting more 'techno' music, etc...Thinking of trying one in DR or Aruba next, or hate to say it, another chain if this is the direction all RIU are going to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???L. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen