“really ready for the planned refurb” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #25 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
York,England
“really ready for the planned refurb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed in June 2012 for daughters after wedding celebrations so we organised our own blessing on the beach.
had a good time overall despite quite a lot of heavy rain but this hotel is due a refurb at the end of 2012 and it's showing signs of needing. Staff as ever though were superb, never anything but smiley faces.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrT1610

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wayzata, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is our 3rd or 4th Riu vacation at Playa del Carmen. It was OK but not great.
Biggest disappointment was the specialty restaurants. Only japanese was worth the effort.
Steak at steakhouse was undersized and overdone. Mexican (I got the grouper) just OK.
Italian (beef tips) also just ok.
Main dining room was actually much better than the specialty restaurants, just busy.
Jacuzzi in bedroom leaked all over the floor in my daughters room. My toilet leaked (from the base of the unit). Drinks (alcohol included) were in small glasses. I would have to ask for 2-3 cokes at a time. I tried to take out a sailboat twice. Once it was 4:00 which is their quitting time.
The other day they said there wasn't enough wind. Overall it was ok but not as good a riu experience as we have had in the past.

Room Tip: mosquitos fairly dense on the outside rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sdfeldshon
Morelia, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just remodeled the hotel new design is not my style but excellent materials and quality. Only thing down is the toilet seat. Incredibly they didn't changed them. Everything else is superb, nice, fabulous, people is ready to serve, very kind and helpful. They are trained to serve without expecting any tips as its an all inclusive hotel. They are available to help. Its strange ti read some people complaining about the service. I can tell you its one of the best service I have received in a hotel in my life! Food: incredible. quality food plenty of it, all you can eat, plenty of different dishes. The only downfall: internet, its a nightmare, but considering the 100% occupancy I can understand it was SO SLOW. Please Riu if anybody reads this fix it!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody wanting to travel in Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed December 2012
10 Thank luigidelgado
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a wonderful family vacation at the RPM a few weeks after the recent renovations. The rooms and grounds are very modern, but feel more like South Beach (Miami) than Mexico. Overall, we enjoyed the fresh, new feeling. We did not care for the open bathrooms. The toilet is in a very small room, and the rest of the bathroom is open, which leads to a lack of privacay. The shower was large and luxurious, however. Staff and service were outstanding. The food was excellent for an all-inclusive, with plenty of choices for everyone. Drinks were plentiful, but light on alcohol. The best feature was the gorgeous beach - white sand, clear blue water and rows of palm tress.

Room Tip: It's worth the small extra cost for the courtyard rooms. Ask for a room with a curtain if you p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank ColumbiaMom
Rhyl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from this wonderful hotel and we were totally amazed with it. We had not seen it before the massive renovations that have just taken place, but wow! what a hotel.
We had read reviews of the pink and purple decor but let me tell you, it works! It is not overpowering but tastefully designed with marble flooring throughout the hotel. The marble flooring is essential because of the high humidity of the climate; clothes seem damp at times but they soon dry out in the warm sunshine.
Anyway, to return to our review! We arrived at the hotel after a ten hour twenty minute flight from Manchester and a one hour ten minute transfer from the airport. We were hot, sticky and tired. As we entered the lobby, it was cool and well air-conditioned we were greeted with very friendly and helpful lobby staff and a cool fruit drink! Check in was fast and within ten minutes we were in our room.
I cannot fully describe the feeling that overcame my wife and I when we entered our room. It was truly magnificent! White walls with modern art canvasses and a touch of purple and pink; marble flooring leading down two steps into a lounge area and onto the spacious balcony. The room had two double beds together with a jacuzi bath at the side of the bed! There was a spacious shower with conventional shower head and a rain-shower head; two wash sinks and a separate toilet. Being truly all-inclusive the fridge was stocked with beers and soft drinks and water, but there was also optics with well known brands of vodka, whisky and tequilla.There was also a coffee perculator and coffee. Now, I must point out that we are tea drinkers and there is no kettle available for boiling water. Neither is there any milk or sugar. Neverthless, being true Brits we boiled the water in the coffee perculator and rang room service for milk....they delivered a full carton of it! I would suggest that if you like tea, then take a travelling kettle with you. Tea bags are supplied....the American Twinings is like dishwater but there is an English breakfast tea which is much better. We actually took our own PG Tips. There is a modern multi-channel flat screen television on the wall and a radio alarm clock by the bedside. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. Down the steps and there in the lounge area is a sofa, coffee table and two-seater dining table. Patio doors then lead onto the large balcony which is furnished with table and two recliners.
One little piece of advice here. If you haven't already thought of it, go out of the hotel and turn right. Continue for about 100 yards and you will come to a little shopping area. In the Drug Store, buy some "Off". That is what its called and it is a really good mosquito repellent which you can buy for 100 Pesos. You will need this as the mosquitos are very active and although not dangerous, they are annoying!
The grounds of the hotel are clean and rather beautiful with plenty of seating and water features. Following the pathway you come to the pools, one of them even has built in loungers and tables and partly submerged bar stools! Finding a sun bed is no problem..there are plenty of them. Some people reserve their loungers with their towels but I cannot see why! Speaking of towels, you are issued with a towel card per person and the towel kiosk is right by the pool.
The pool-side area looks onto and proceeds onto the palm tree laden beach.....truly tropical...and onto the blue water of the Caribbean Sea.
Back to the pool-side. There is a restaurant which is used for midday lunch and afternoon snacks and also a well equipped bar. As you lie on your lounger the waiters frequently top you up with either soft drinks, alcohol or coffee.
Now, what about eating! Breakfast and Evening Meal are served, buffet style, in the main restaurant. The quality of food, and the choice, is excellent. At breakfast, again, if you like tea, the waiters will bring you a pot of tea, but it is never hot and they give you hot milk with it! You can have a decent coffee though, together with a choice of fresh fruit juices or even champagne! The waiters are very helpful but look out for Abraham. He looks like a young version of Mr. Griffin from Holby City! He's very wise and knowledgable and soon remembers your personal preferences!
I have already mentioned that lunch, again, buffet style, is taken in the pool-side restaurant. The evening meal is taken again in the main restaurant. However, with 24 hours notice you can book into one of about 6 different specialty restaurants including Mexican, Italian, Japanese and Steak House.
Entertainment is about average. The Mexicans seem to have trouble with their sound systems. On one particlar night we had some dancing by a group of about six dancers. They were dancing to Film Themes and the sound gave up in the middle of "Chicago" and they had to give up until the sound man found another cd! However, I can say that one of the dancing couples gave an equal performance of the Argentine Tango to Flavia on Strictly Come Dancing!
Would we come to this hotel again? Well......yes, but we weren't keen on the long flight and the long airport transfer.
By the way, English is not a problem, mainly, I think because there are so many Americans there.
As a last word my wife and I can recomend a trip to Cozumel. This is an island about 40 mins away on a fast ferry. Remarkable island.....read all about it! Thomas Cook do not offer any tours there but the rep organized one for us, lunch included, and it was excellent!
We were only at the hotel for one week. We travelled out there on Christmas Day and returned on New Years Day. The reason we did this was because my birthday falls on the 28th December and all through our 32 years of married life I have complained of having my birthday in the winter. My wife secretly booked this holiday so that I mcould celebrate my birthday for the very first time in warm tropical weather. Thank you Ann; it was wonderful!

Room Tip: Try and avoid the ground floor because of the humidity!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank IanandAnn1981
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

First, I must say I'm kind of done with all inclusive so it might taint my review. The hotel is newly renovated so it was very clean but the purple Miami vice lobby is a little over the top. We liked the layout of the hotel, not too big and the beach was nice with lots of trees for shade.

I'm so done with the theme restaurants which are pretty much taken from the buffet or just not worth the hassle to get a reservation. The service was great (everyone very nice, upbeat, offering to help and actually delivering ) but I'm done with the morning rush to make a reservation for a below average theme restaurant, especially when they seem empty when you show up. You would think they would have a different system, we are on vacation after all! The buffet was good, they did a great job for Xmas eve dinner, I unfortunately had to deal with a case of tourista (24hr stomach bug) which made any food look very unappealing. Too bad as they had a great choice of seafood on that night.

Rooms have the cheesy purple but they are spacious, nice shower, good bed and very clean. FYI, no ocean view and the standard rooms literally have NO view, bit disappointing for price we paid for 5 star. Almost better paying same and get a view in a 4-4.5 star hotel as I believe food would be the same.

FYI, did some great excursions. Coba is worth seeing and strongly suggest you go swim and visit one if the cenote (under ground caves where you can swim in crystal clear fresh water). They are quite expensive, I would probably just rent a car and hit these sites on my own if I had to do it again, I'm quite sure it would be significantly less expensive Than the 100+ per person they charge (coba, cenote and maya village visit with lunch was one day trip and the other was snorkeling + zip lining + lunch and a swim in a cave).

In conclusion, hotel is fine, I'm just done with the all inclusive format. There are lots of places in same are that you can rent, buy breakfast food and you can just go out at night for dinner or buy some fresh fish or seafood. All inclusive is fun for the no cooking but fed up with the cafeteria and robotic daily pattern.

The riu palace which is 2 Hotels down looks like a similar (layout) hotel but it seems to have more of a traditional Spanish look.

Happy travels and hope this helps !

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank BKCanada
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited the Riu Palace Mexico in March 2012 and we returned to the Riu Palace Riviera Maya in November 2012 since the mexico was under renovation. Everything is 5 star, from reception to service to friendliness to food... we will most certainly return soon. It is a little pricier than most hotels in Playa Del carmen, but surely worth it.
You can go to the beach anytime and there are always plenty of chairs. The service is A1, they really look after you.
We just returned from a week vacation to the Iberostar Quetzal playa del carmen (we were travelling with family for the new year) and we really appreciate the riu palace even more now...no comparaison and really worth the extra $. We have been to more than 30 resorts, and those 2 Riu palaces are top.You will not be disappointed even if you are very demanding

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,470 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!