“Fantastic Service and Hotel and Beach just a couple of small negs”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Norfolk
“Fantastic Service and Hotel and Beach just a couple of small negs”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Hello
just got back from the Riu Tequila after a 14 night holiday over Christmas and the New Year. It was not one of the best holidays I have ever had( purely due to being ill). Nothing to do with the Hotel just bad luck and being run down after Gatwick Airport chaos. My entire trip seemed to be cursed from the start with bad luck. This 2 week holiday was very special as I have not had a 2 week holiday with my husband for over 12 years due to his work. So it was a big deal for us both. The problems started with the snow and our flight being delayed for over 34 hours. We booked our holiday with First Choice and when our flight was delayed we got no help and the person behind the help desk was rude and just walked off just leaving hundreds of confused passengers standing there, not knowing what was going on or what to do and where to go. We will be writing to First Choice to claim our Hotel money back which we had no help in booking at all and telling them how bad people were treated at the Airport.

So after getting to Riu Tequila 2 days late we were determined to enjoy the rest of our trip and were pleased with what we saw. The transfer was quick(just over one hour) and we were shown to our room straight away and had our luggage bought to our room .

Rooms
The rooms were much larger than I imagined and the beds were massive and not too hard or soft, just right. We had a quiet room near the pool, but facing the Golf Course and Jungle and the noise was minimal. The balcony overlooked trees and palms and was very private. ( room 2815). The room also had a TV with a few good channels on and a fridge and optics in the bathroom. The wardrobes were also in the bathroom area. There was also an iron and ironing board and hairdryer and a large walk in shower and seperate loo. The rooms were cleaned very well indeed every day and the fridge restocked every second day with beer, water, soft drinks etc. If you did not want your room cleaned that day, just hang your Do Not Disturb sign up outside which I did 2-3 times due to being ill. The rooms were cleaned so well I tipped every other day. I am glad the room was comfy as I spent half my holiday in it being ill.

The Pool
The pool area was in 2 halves and one was the action half and the other was the relaxing half. The restaurant where we eat lunch was in the middle and it became The Steakhouse at night. The bar here was good and buffet lunches were tasty and there was always loads of food on offer. I found the pool too cold to swim in but was happy just laying on a sunbed sipping Pina Coladas. It was hard finding beds in the sun though as people were getting up early and putting towels on them. It was like musical chairs trying to lay in the sun as the day went on and many areas of the pool became shaded. The pool area has beautiful gardens and trees and umbrellas for shade. Spent quite a bit of time around the pool.

Lobby and Breakfast, Evening Buffet
The Lobby was very large and had loads of comfy sofas and seating. The lobby was a nice place to chill out and relax and I enjoyed checking my emails via my Iphone while having a cool refreshing drink. They even had electric plugs for your phones, laptops while you surfed away. The lobby had loo's and a small shop selling snacks and a few gifts and toiletries. I had to buy some Imodium from here as I had a bad tummy last 2 days of my holiday. The little shop was very handy. First Choice Reps were also based in the lobby and were helpful and friendly . The bar next to the stage was very good and made the strongest drinks in the Hotel( we found the next best drinks were at the pool and the weakest and not so nice drinks down at the beach). We did not watch the nightly entertainment but used the bar during the day and only once at night. From the lobby you can walk to a nice Plaza along tree lined street in 3 minutes which has a Chemist and Starbucks and a few other shops etc.

The breakfasts in the lobby restaurant were very good. There were cooking stations and so much food to choose from. Think my favourite meal was breakfast times. Evening buffet meals were also good and the choice was massive, but I just got bored with it night after night after night. We booked the Steak House one night( pool area) and that was a great change and I was so full after I could not walk. It was very nice and well worth getting up at 7am for( you have to get up early and book it on the same day at the breakfast restaurant). My husband went back himself on his last night to the Steak House as I was too ill to go. Do book it as it is a nice change from buffet food. We did not bother with the other Speciality restaurant's as people said The Steak House was the best one.

Beach
The beach was a short walk down a pretty tree lined path just over the road from the hotel. We walked it each time as we got to see interesting animals and such. But you can catch a buggy back and forth if you do not want to walk it. The actual beach is beautiful with golden sand and stunning blue, green coloured sea. There are loads of sunbeds and we never had a problem at all getting them on the beach. You are using the facilities of another Riu Hotel down on the beach and I found the quality of things not quite as nice as the Riu Tequila. The drinks were not as nice at the Beach Bar, they seemed much more watered down. The food also did not seem quite as tasty. But we enjoyed the beach and it is worth going to. We found it clouded over each day just after lunch and also got very windy. One day it was quite cold down there. Time of year I guess.

Gardens and Staff
The Riu Tequila had beautiful gardens and they were well maintained all the time. I enjoyed walking around the gardens after eating in the evening. They were all beautifully lit up at night. The staff were always cleaning and doing things and the entire hotel was spotless. They were all friendly and spoke often and looked happy. I have never seen a hotel run so well. Everything was in order and the hotel was pristine. The entertainment staff were also very hard working and friendly and fun and did not pressure you into anything. The staff were amazing and would bend over backwards to help you. They were wonderful. My glass never stayed dry when drinking . One night I ran out of bottled water and rang reception and they bought me 2 bottles within 10 minutes. Now that is good service for you.

Highlights of my trip
The things that I really enjoyed on my holiday were the following. The Pina Colada's and Banana Mama's were so tasty. You have to try them. The pool bar done them nice and creamy. I enjoyed seeing the cute animals with long noses and tails around the hotel. They enjoyed my nachos too. I enjoyed how nice the staff were and how they made you feel right at home. I enjoyed the Gala nights( Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve). They were amazing. They dressed the lobby up so beautiful and had champagne and amazing buffet meals with so much choice and ice sculptures etc. It was amazing.

I enjoyed walking to Playa Del Carmen for the day along the pretty tree lined street. It took about 30 minutes and was an easy walk too. Playa had plenty of shops and places to eat and the beach was really nice . Bought a few gifts here and it was totally safe and never felt threatened once. I bought a bottle of wine too on the way back to the hotel to drink in the room. It was heaven. I also enjoyed the Fat Kat boat trip which lasted around 4 hours. Music and plenty of drink and swimming while you sail along, perfect. I enjoyed chilling out on my balcony with a Pina Colada. I also felt good tipping the cleaner and luggage man and bar staff now and then as they were working so very hard and deserved it. I loved coming back to my room and finding another towel art animal. We also got a rose off our cleaner. Nice touches that make it that extra bit special.

Negative things about the holiday
Losing 2 days due to the weather. People getting up at 6.30-7am banging doors and waking me up to book Speciality Restaurants and to put towels on beds. The corridors were really noisy and sound seemed to carry. The wine was really awful. After several days I was craving a nice glass of wine as the hotel wine was really acidic, like vinegar. The only nice wine was the Gala champagne. I was quite ill for a few days and had to spend several days in the hotel room. Nothing to do with the hotel though at all. One day I had an awful hangover( Tequila, lol) and it was 100% my own fault. But I then caught an awful cold and felt awful for about 3 days. After feeling better for about 2 days, I then got bad diarrhoea for another 2 days and was stuck in my room. I do not think it was caused by food from the hotel as no one else mentioned having it etc. I think I may of just been low from my cold and it was just one of those things. My husband eat the same as me and was totally fine. I lost 7lbs in total in weight because during my holiday I was ill with the cold and then upset tummy and did not hardly eat or drink some days. Out of 14 days( 2 lost at Gatwick) 2 lost with tummy bug and 3 lost with bad cold) I was only well about 5 days in Mexico. So it was abit of a nightmare for me. But I am glad the Hotel was so nice and the gardens and rooms were too as I spent most of my time in them.

Overview
My holiday was partly spoilt by me being ill for about half the trip, but the Hotel and staff and area was really nice and I enjoyed it when I was well. Me being ill was just bad luck and nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel was amazing. It was much better than I ever imagined. Only neg things was the wine and people banging doors so early. I hope to return to this hotel again as I felt at home here and even when I was ill, it was a good place to be ill in as everyone was so helpful and friendly. I highly recommend this hotel as the service and staff and grounds are wonderful. I also found everyone in the area friendly and nonthreatening and pleasant to talk to. So go ahead and book it, you will love it. If you do like good wine, you can just buy your own from a shop in Playa, no problem.

8 Thank RachNorfolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Where do we start stayed for first 2 weeks of December and not got a thing to moan about. From arriving the check in was easy and hassle free just what you want after 10 hours on a plane. Rooms were fantastic cleaned everyday maids were great. Pool area so clean the pool guy never stoped cleaning it. Never struggled for sun beds either by the pool or on the beach. Beach a 5 min stoll away just what you need after eating fresh omlettes for breakfast. There was always something to choose from salad, freshly made pasta, meat, mexican dishes every night. Anyone who says the food is not to standard are just picky it is out of this world. Drinks amazing apart from the wine taste like viniger in my opinion. That is the only fault. Serve all branded spirits the lager not bad and the cocktails amazing. The bar staff are amazing go out of their way to make sure you always have a drink especailly Felipe, Freddy and Patricia.
Entertainmeant team are good the night shows are amazing didnt really do any day activities as i am lazy!!
Out of the Riu Playacar and the Riu Yucatan this is by far the best one do not hesitate to book if you are thinking of going.

5 Thank shelly_tash
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Just returned from spending Christmas at the Tequila. What can I say, absolutely brilliant, this was our second visit to this hotel and it was even better than the first and that was great! The staff are all very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Entertainment crew try to get you involved in the activities but if you don't want to join in they don't make you feel like a party pooper. They all work extremely hard, with all the activities during the day and then putting on the shows in the evenings, but no matter how tired they must feel they are always smiling. Reception, rooms, eating areas, all very clean and the grounds are well maintained and the pool is immaculately clean! We are hoping to go again in October it's just a shame it's so far away!

3 Thank craftylady031
Devon
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Having just come back from an amazing two weeks in Playa del Carmen I just had to write a review to let others know what a great hotel this is.

Playacar is the resort - just a 15 minute confortable walk from the busy, upmarket town of Playa del Carmen, offerring an abundance of restaurants, trendy boutiques, craft stalls and value for money souvenir 'supermarkets'. The beach is a 5 minute walk from the Hotel, or a golf buggy ride away if you don't like walking, but well worth the short trek. The beach has soft white sand, loads of sun loungers, courtesy of the Rui Yucatan Hotel (in which you are allowed to use all their facilities) and there are a range of water sports available - some included in the holiday, others which are a little pricey, that are not on the all inclusive list. Sea is clear, warm and NO jelly fish, unlike Cuba!

The Hotel is immaculately attended to. You'd be amazed at what they find to clean there - the attention to every detail is impressive. The rooms are very comfotable - with two double beds (nice firm matresses), good sized bathroom - no bath, only shower, which was large and always had hot water. Mini bar was re-stocked every other day and the housekeepers always did a great job of cleaning the rooms each day.

Food was amazing. We've been to a few all inclusive resorts around the world and I must say Riu Tequila had the best buffet restaurant we've ever been to. There was always something different to eat each night, we didn't even bother with the al a carte restaurants as there was so much choice here. Waiters, chefs and bar staff were all extremely attentive and very friendly - especially Hilario who was our favourite breakfast waiter.

Wifi in the Lobby area was fine, just a little slow when there were lots of people logging on all at the same time - but that would happen anywhere. We found that if you sit there with a rum cocktail surfing the net and checking emails, then you don't mind it taking a little longer than it would at home!

The entertainment staff were very enthusiastic and very hard working. If you have kids, they will be in good hands. The evening entertainment was a bit 'kareoke' for me. Sometimes there were some professional dancers, but most of the time it was the ents staff doing a kind of 'gang show' which was somewhat tacky, but then we didn't mind too much as we could go to the shows at the Riu Yucatan and the Riu Playacar if we didn't like what was on at our Hotel!

The trips are all very expensive - but this seems to be standard in the area. My advice is to go just outside the Hotel and walk a few minutes to the Plaza Playacar - a little area with shops and a couple of tourist 'booths' Some of the trips there were half the price that our Thomson Rep was asking, and they were exactly the same trip. We didn't fancy travelling for 3 hours to Chichen Itza for $99 when we know that we could get there on our own steam - there is a very decent bus depot in Playa del Carmen so you can get there for a fraction of the cost. Coba is well worth visiting as it's the only Mayan pyramid you can still walk up. I say walk up - climb up is more the word. It's a bit scarey but the view at the top is well worth it. Tulum again is very pretty, but I'd suggest you get a bus there for just 58 pesos, take your swimming gear with you and make a day of it as there is a beach right there!

We didn't know whether to go to Xcaret or Xel Ha - two quite different 'eco parks'. In the end we went to both and both were well worth it - although again very expensive. The food in both parks is not a patch on the food at the hotel, but there were lots to see at Xcaret (and the show at the end was spectacular) and Xel Ha is great if you are into snorkelling and other water activities.

All in all we had a wonderful two weeks in the Rui Teqila. I would definitely go back there, although I do tend to try out new places, BUT I will certainly look out for other other Riu Hotels around the world as I am impressed with their standards.

This hotel was extremely good value for money. Cheaper than the hotels that were on the beach, but it really was no bother to walk to the beach when we wanted. Oh - and the Spa in the Riu Yucatan is great and good value too. Manicure for under £20 and they used OPI nail polish too!

10 Thank PurplemonkeyDevon
Bridgenorth Ontario
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We arrived on the 23rd...Rooms ready, They were willing to allow us to move closer to restaurants if we wanted but we decided we had a great room and could use the walk..The meal on Christmas Eve was fantastic- spectacular! and the staff from start to end of vacation was again fantastic. Cannot speak more highly of them. Canada and US could learn some things about what a smile will do to make a vacation. The staff at Rui Tequila and our tours.. went above and beyond to ensure we were happy and satisfied.
Anyone that has complaints should look at their own attitude toward how they treat others.....I wonder if they would treat others any better if they were in the same boat..... The staff worked tirelessly from 7am till very late each evening...always with a smile and energy that I have never seen at home. Thanks YOU all to Rui and trip operators!
Happy New Year and hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank kampings
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Just back from a 6-day stay. First-time experience with an all-inclusive hotel. Somewhat disappointed with hotel, but loved Playa del Carmen.

Food- Hotel has 3 on-site restaurants: Main, Asian, and a Steakhouse. They also have access to a Mexican restaurant at the Riu Yucatan across the street. Last 3 require reservations for dinner. By 9 am each day ,the time we headed down for breakfast in the main restaurant, all 3 restaurants were booked solid for the1st seating at 6:45pm. The next seating at 9 pm usually had space available, but was much too late for us. We were told that the Americans and Canadians are early risers and start making their reservations in person at 7am. So, because we weren't willing to get up at the crack of dawn we were only able to try the Asian restaurant (Excellent !). All other dinners were eaten in the main restaurant. The food there was good and plentiful, but never seemed to vary. ADVICE - get up early to make your reservations if you want to eat someplace other than the main restaurant. This was our biggest disappointment with the hotel. Lunch is only served in the Steakhouse restaurant which is located by the pool area. The waiters were always friendly, helpful, and attentive.

Liquor - Tasty and plentiful, but the mixed drinks seemed watered down. We watched them pour a healthy shot of rum in our drinks, but could barely taste it.

Walking- The hotel is pretty spread out and a lot of walking is necessary. For example, it was about a 300 yd. walk from our room to the main reception area. If you've got arthritic knees like we do, you may wish to bring along some pain medication, or stay at a hotel with a different layout.

Room- Nice, quiet, but unremarkable. "king" bed was really 2 double beds made-up separately and pushed together. Great housekeeping and grounds keeping staff.

Beach- Big and beautiful. Golf cart-style trolley will take you from hotel entrance to beach, about 500 yds.

Pool- Lovely. Made up of 2 unconnected halves. So, folks in the lower pool are unable to reach swim-up bar without having to get out of the water and walk over to upper pool. Lots of lounge chairs.

Internet- Spotty service available only in the lobby area. Disappointing.

Transportation- ADO runs regular bus service to PdC from Cancun's airport for $11.00 (usd) ea. way. They're located to the right of the terminal exit. Great buses. Will drop you off at central bus terminal in PdC. From there it was a $5 taxi ride to hotel.

Money exchange- Nice, but not necessary. Everyone accepts usd, sometimes at 12 pesos/dollar. Scotia Bank, across from bus terminal, gave me 11.85 exchange rate. Hotel was offering only 11.15!

Shopping- If you hate the crowds and aggressive salesmen in Cancun, you'll love PdC. Minimal sales pressure, little price negotiation possible, and prices are what we'd come to expect in Mexico - cheap! Brought more gifts back than we planned because the prices were so low.

We would stay in Playa del Carmen again without hesitation. Next time we'll skip the all-inclusive resort so we can start discovering all the great bars and restaurants PdC has to offer.

3 Thank GrizzlyAlan
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

just a quick review and hopefully a few things to set peoples mind at rest.......we flew from birmingham and flew direct to cancun no stopping at manchester like one of the other reviewers i suspect that was due to weather not short runways......when we got there the check in process was speedy and we were at the bar within minutes lol....service is fantastic whether at a bar or in a restaurant they just cannot do enough for you.....the rooms are well equipped for your needs including the minibar.....food is in plentiful supply even the fussiest of eaters should be able to find something to eat yes the asian restaurant is a bit bland but still edible and if you dont like it dont eat it and go to the buffet restaurant instead!.....the steak restaurant is well worth a visit....the beach yes the hotel is not on the beach but really is a 1 minute buggy ride or a 3 minute walk really going to ruin your day??....once on the beach just drag a bed wherever you want to put it, you can put it in the water if you like!.....all in all we had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back....we would recommend this hotel to anyone and of the 3 riu's you can use it seems to be by far the best one

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Andy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#61 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!