ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$320
$285
  • Pool
$669
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
$288
$239
$656
$437
BlueBay
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$531
$389
Barcelo.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$227
$188
$864
$399
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,004
$872
Bookit.com
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$950
$819
$1,032
$551
8,453 results
All reviewssports baryucatan hotelmain restaurantthomson repsgreat holidaygolf buggyasian restaurantanimation teamplenty of sunbedsevery other daypool restaurantshort walk to the beachthemed nightspalm treesevening entertainmentcancun airportswimming with dolphins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I travelled to Mexico with my husband and 12 year old grandson. We had a few tense times when we thought we wouldn't be able to go because of the volcanic ash but after a gruelling 12 hour journey we finally made it. When we'd landed we hadn't expected to have to wait over 11/2 hours at immigration which was horrendous but once we were on the coach things began to look up with beer and soft drinks served by the Thompson rep.
Check in at the hotel was the easiest I've ever experienced, after drinking a nice non alcoholic cocktail we were given an envelope with our key and cards for beach towels and were shown to our rooms, our bags were delivered shortly after that.

Rooms were very clean and contained two beds. These are described as 'doubles' in the Thomson brochure but are actually queen sized beds. This was a bit of a problem as my husband and I took one bed and our grandson the other, the following day we complained to the rep that the bed was too small and she had a single folding bed delivered to the room.....I feel this should have been done before our arrival but they were very accomodating.
The rooms were extremely clean and the maids were lovely and hardworking, the only fault I could find was that they left the doors open when working in the room (this may be company policy to prevent theft) which let in a number of mosquitos. They have a mosquito screen on the patio doors which was great but we did have to kill loads of mosquitos evry day in the room. Make sure you take plenty of mosquito spray with you as loads of people werer badly bitten.
Mini bar in the room was great plenty of spirits,beer and soft drinks which they topped up every 2 days but if you ran out you only needed to ring reception and they would send more.
We loved the location, it's just a 500m walk to the beach and we could use the facilities of the Riu yucatan and Riu playacar which were located on the beach although we preferred our hotel to those two as it was less crowded and noisy.
The food was quite good although we found the meat a bit tough most of the time and it became very repetitive but that isn't unusual in hotels. We didn't do the themed restaurants as our grandson doesn't eat a great variety of food so perhaps they were better than the main restaurant (the jalisco).
There are two pools which were never too crowded and we managed to get sunbeds at any time of the day. The pool bar is great and the staff are brilliant the only problem was leaving it....every time you turned your back the drinks were refilled.
The staff in the hotel are fabulous, the most pleasant I have ever met and we never felt threatened in the resort, everyone was very helpful.
We were so active during the day that we didn't really sample the entertainment so I can't comment on that though lots of people said they enjoyed it.
The animals around the hotel were so cute although some people with rooms backing on to the jungle thought there were rather too many coatimundis for their liking.
We did several trips, first we went to Chichen Itza which took about 31/2 hours in the coach, we called in at a cenote on the way which was very beautiful but there wasn't too much time to enjoy it. Chichen Itza is amazing but be warned it is extremely hot, you definitely need a hat and some people took umbrellas (provided in your room) which was very wise for shade. The downside of Chichen Itza was the number of people selling souvenirs. Every shady spot had lines of tables set up with souvenirs on and stallholders pestering you to buy.

Xcaret was lovely to visit with our grandson but it's really just a zoo and quite expensive at $99 each. We enjoyed our day there but wouldn't go again. It'll be great with young children but I wasn't too keen on the zoo set up. I don't like to see animals in captivity.

Xel Ha was our favourite trip, We went once with Thompsons ($99 each all inclusive which includes all food, drinks and snorkel equipment) and then we went again on our own by taxi it cost slightly more that way ($79 all inclusive plus taxi fare of about $85 round trip). You have to enjoy snorkelling to like this trip as it's a lagoon full of fish. There are dolphins and manatees etc which you can swim with for an extra charge but we don't agree with them being kept in captivity for profit so didn't do it
We snorkelled with a guide in Akumal bay and saw turtles and barrcuda, it's a beautiful bay but the best snorkelling is some way out on the reef and by the time I got there I was quite sea sick although my husband and grandson loved it. The food here was the best we had all week it was absolutely delicious!

We visited Tulum by taxi it costs around $80 for the round trip and I thought it was more beautiful than Chichen itza in a glorious seaside setting and there weren't any souvenir stalls. The entrance fee is 51 pesos ($5) and adults over 60 and children under 13 are free.

A thoroughly enjoyable holiday which I would most definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank lotusbuddha
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Having been to Mexico twice before and staying in a real 5 star hotel not that far away ,the Tequilla was a bit of a let down. On arrival the check in was really quick, no complaints at all, we went to our room, really clean, nice size but our air conditioning left at lot to be desired, thank god for our fan, from a girlie point of view not enough hangers for two weeks clothes (so do what I do and take some of your own) unpacked had a shower ready for our first night at the Tequilla, I have straight hair, after drying my hair with the hairdryer which is more than adequate, I then went on to try to straighten my hair, NIGHTMARE!!!, the mirror and the electric point couldn't be more far apart, for most people this won't matter but for people like me that want to straighten your hair, take your own mirror it will make it alot easier to do.
The food at the hotel was really good, even if your fussy there is always something to eat and there is loads of choice.
The waiter service haha haha at the hotel is non existent unless you go to the bar by the sports bar and get served by Cruz or Nancy who are amazing, they never forget your drink and never let your drink run dry.
Take lots of mozzie repelant with you as by the pool and in reception you get eaten alive, I had 14 bites on one leg in a single afternoon by the pool, after that we went to the beach every day, much better option.
You can go to the sports bar if your peckish and grab a snack but believe me you would have to be starving to eat the food as it was rank!!!!
We choose this hotel because it was within walking distance to Playa Del Carmen and we walked there a few nights and had a really good time at the bars, I did get a bit annoyed at times by some of the younger people in the town asking if we wanted to get 'high' , at 40 years of age I was amazed and flabberghasted that I looked like I need something to get me 'high'.
I would never stay at this hotel again as I prefer something a little bigger to walk round and have more choice as to where I eat and drink, but I think if you've got small children and you don't want to get out and about it's probably a good choice.

2  Thank puddleduck206
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I have just returned from a fantastic 2 week stay at the Riu Tequila in Playacar. What a great hotel from the minute we arrived we were met with a welcome cocktail and our room keys, checkin was the easiest i have ever experienced. The hotel is immaculate and the staff cannot do enough for you, they are always smiling.
The bar staff are the best i have seen at an all inclusive hotel, they have a laugh and a joke with you and your glass is never empty, the hardest part is leaving the bar!
The rooms are all within the tree's so dont expect the best of views but they are comfortable and the Riu optics and freshly stocked beer fridge means you can have a nice relaxing drink on your balcony.

The pool is excellent you are kept entertained on one side by the ever hardworking entertainment team and on the other side by Julio and the other swim up bar boys (stay away from the flying ice cubes and the cold water jets that come your way.

Food was very good, fantastic choice at the buffet, if you cant find something you like then i doubt you will ever be satisfied anywhere you go! we ate in all the speciality restaurants and didnt have to get up too early to book, aroung 8.30 we were still able to get a seat. The steakhouse is the best, i was a bit disappointed with the mexican food, the view is stunning though.

This is a lovely safe resort, it is well worth going out in the evening to playa del carmen, try the roof top bars for stunning views and ice cold corona's.

The thomson reps were very helpfull and always friendly say hello to the 2 Ricki's and Wendy, get your restaurant and bar recomendations from them.
The trips are ok but overpriced which has been mentioned before, thomson markup for you! but you have to go to Coco Bongo's in cancun and for a truley awsome experience the dolphin trainer for life, what a day well worth the money.

The tequila is head and shoulders above the lupita, playacar and the yukatan i would recommned this hotel to all ages. We made some good freinds on our 2 weeks and were sad to leave.

2  Thank Fozlove
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We went to the Riu for a christmas family vacation, we are a family of 6, 2 teenagers and 2 younger children and everyone had a wonderful time and made great memories!!! A new tradition has begun in our house, lol. This resort is awesome, the staff are polite, the rooms are clean, and there is always something to do. I would have prefered a resort on the beach however it's not a far walk to get to the beach, plus they do offer a shuttle. You also get privlages at the 5 other riu resorts in the vicinity which is nice. We got an awesome deal for a family of 6 and we went for 10 days, we couldn't of asked for a better vacation for us and our girls!!! I would recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Me and my wife have just returned from the tequila and were very underwhelmed with this hotel .This being our third visit to mexico we could not help comparing with the Grand Bahia Principe .which we stayed at twice ,WE WON'T BE REVISITING HERE AGAIN !! Firstly their is nothing majorly wrong with the tequila its just too small , we'd seen everthing by day two . at the bahia we were still finding nice suprises well in to our second week .Also the pool was very small and grimy and infested with mozzies .20 + bites by day two .if you were lucky enough to find a sunbed you then had the problem of the raccoons going through your bags for food ,in one case we saw someones bag was dragged away because they left a bannana in it , nice suprise when they returned no bag and no door key .The so called specialist restaurants are anything but special .unless you like being shipped in and shipped out , and like sharing with flea bitten cats .The beach restaurant had a similar problem but with birds everywhere .The were a few areas where the taquila came above the bahia one being the entertainment was great especially for the youngsters .the other being the location to playa del carmen .this was the main reason we chose this hotel so we could sample the nightlife and we were not disapointed .If your worried about the food .don;t be! we always found the food superb ,especially the BBQ on the jalisco terrace .One point i would like to have raised with the management was the irritateing habit of the waiters showing you to your table on the evening ,then forgetting all about you ,we always told them where we wanted to sit ,just a waste of man power .The beach was great but a little noisy with all the jet skis and boats and the sea was very choppy but this added to the fun .take some bread in with you and you;ll be surrounded by fish .Staff service was mainly poor except for cruz and nancy at the back bar who were fantastic .No loud canadians or yanks ,we call them canks because you can;t tell the differance ,but that wouldn't have bothered us anyway .Also we never found the ice machine that was supposed to be in our block and suspected they have been removed because of noise complaints.We love mexico and had a great time ,met some great people namely freda and geoff ,our drinking buddy colin and several others we shared a few taquila slammers with ,would we recommend this hotel ? NO !!! Will we be going back to mexico ?YES YES . SI ' SI !!! ADIOS AMIGOS .

2  Thank mickthewolf