“great family holiday”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Just returned from the Rui Tequila on the 16th April and would just like to say what a great holiday we all had.It has everything you need for a good family holiday great food good rooms and lovely pool.
We went on a good monkey santuary excursion called Jungle Place, would recommend this place for a young family to visit.
Would just like to mention the departure tax is of £36 each person which I think is to expensive

4  Thank travellercraig
Write a ReviewReviews (8,341)

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Riu Tequila 4/3-4/13. This was our 8th all-inclusive, and we have stayed at a few Iberostar's, a couple of Sunscape's, Majestic Colonial DR, and Grand Palladium Kentanah.
This was our longest stay and we loved the Riu Tequila. We stayed in a Jr.Suite which we loved and would recommend, it was quite spacious, the main room was about 35'x16', had 2 double beds for me and my wife and we had 2 single beds brought in for the 2 kids. The room comes with the TV seating area. I cant imagine having 2 people in a double bed and I am not that large, but do like to spread out. We left a $4 tip each day and the rooms were kept very clean by the staff, daily towel animals. The A/C did not cool that well, I did call for them to check it out but they said it was fine. With that and the ceiling fan it was not so bad. It was very hot and humid for most of our trip.
The resort grounds are well landscaped and very clean. The resort size is not as large as some of the other resorts we have stayed at but that was actually a good thing. You didnt have to walk a 1/2 mile to get to dinner or a show. It was also good for our kids that are 12 & 9. We felt safer that they were able to venture up to the sports bar for some games and food and not worry that they would get lost like they have at the IB LaParaiso DelMar and the Kentannah, the resort size is similar to the IB Haciendo Dominicus in LaRomana.
We had heard prior to the trip that the Riu's staff was stuffy and not very friendly, which is not what we had found there at all. It was actually quite the opposite, they probably had the friendliest staff that we have encountered. At the bar look for Veronica and ask for a Choco-Loco, we made the drink up and its delicous, it is a chocolate milk shake with or without alcohol, You will have to ask her because the others will not know what it is. She was at the swim up bar, but they switch around weekly.
The shows here were much better than the shows that we had seen at all the other resorts and the 2 other resorts that you can share grounds with show up for the nightly shows.
We had breakfast and dinner at the buffet restaurant which was huge and always had a large variety to choose from. We thought the food was great. We ate lunch at the pool buffet which had burgers, hot dogs, chicken and pasta, also salads, fruits and more. Our vacation was mostly spent under the tiki umbrellas at the pool and swim-up bar, we brought the munchies to our umbrella and gave the animals around a little. The pool was the warmest out of all the resorts we had stayed at, and it was good depth so that we didnt need to worry about the kids, but deep enough that it wasnt up to your belly.
I was a little dissappointed that the SportsBar games were expensive, the pool table costs $3 a game, the air hockey $2 and there were a few video games. Internet was also $8 an hour. These were all located at the Sports bar which we found out was actually owned by an outside company so you cant really blame Riu for that.
The kids did enjoy the ping pong by the pool, and the air rifle shooting daily.
We did enjoy the place very much.

7  Thank traveler4n0w
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Just returned this morning from this lovely hotel. After reading all the other reviews and taking some of them with a pinch of salt, here is my review.

The transfer from the airport was smooth as smooth can be, we arrived in the hotel grounds and the valets were waiting to take our cases. A large table was laid out in the foyer with envelopes containing your room key. Each envelope had your name on it. You were handed this and a small map and then proceded to find the room. The valet came later with your luggage. When we booked at the travel agents, we did specify that we would prefer a higher floor but it turned out that we were given a ground floor room. At first my husband was a bit annoyed as we do really prefer being higher up however, on entering our room, we found it to be just perfect. We overlooked the golf course (room 2604) and it was extremely peaceful. We had palm trees outside our terrace and the smell from the newly mown grass at the golf course was wonderful!

The room itself was a tad dark but that made not a jot of difference to us as the size and facilities in the room more than made up for this. The beds are two doubles, with one huge headboard. All the furniture was dark wood (perhaps this contributed to the darkness) and there was plenty of drawer space. At the side of the beds we had a small bedside cabinet with two drawers in each. There were two chairs and a small glass topped table. We had a large dressing table with 5 drawers and the television sat on top of this. At the side of this was the case stand. We had three lamps on the wall and one standard lamp at the side of the window. The window itself had a fly screen so it was possible to sit with the window open in the morning with the fly screen shut. However, as is standard in most air conditioned rooms, the windows do need to be closed to enable the air conditioning to work, and work it did! The room was so lovely and cool. We also had a ceiling fan which gave off some coolness if the air conditioning proved to be a bit too chilly!. There was an alcove in the room which was curtained off and held back by tie backs. In this alcove was the dressing room, loo, shower and sink. The wardrobes were here too and contrary to an earlier report, we did not find it caused any problem with dampness. There was a hairdryer, iron and ironing board. There were the optics containing tequila, brandy, rum and vodka. The fridge was stocked up every other day and consisted of 4 beers, two cokes, two orangeades, two sprite and then cans containing tonic and soda water. More than adequate for two of us. The only thing missing (to my mind anyway) were tea and coffee making facilities. I know it was a 24-hour AI but sometimes the coffee machine by the pool was not working and so a late coffee on the way back to your room was not possible. I would recommend anyone going to take their own kettle. Milk can be stored in the fridge if you fill up a cup in the morning when you go for your breakfast. This is purely a personal thing but it may help some other like minded people.

The grounds are just lovely!. It is like walking through small palm tree lined streets It was peaceful and never rowdy. Occasionally late arrivals would be a bit loud, but to be honest, that did not bother us as they were probably just as excited to arrive as we were!. The swimming area did get a bit packed but later in the day there were some sun beds available. However, if you are a pool person, perhaps it is a good idea to get up early and "bag" your beds - not to my taste but I prefer the beach everytime. The swim up bar was good too. The pool on this side did not seem to be deep and to my knowledge was the same depth all around. The day we walked around the pool, the other pool seemed to be geared up to water sports. There always seemed to be somthing going on, whether it be basketball in the pool or keep fit on the sandy area. It was always well used either way. The entertainment was good too although we did tend not to stay in for the shows. On the occasions we did, the theatre area was always packed, so it must have been worth watching. The dancers were very good I must say.

In the foyer itself were lots of comfortable sofas and chairs. The were set around an "atrium" with a fountain in the middle. Inside the atrium were sofas all around the fountain. There was a small wrought iron fence around thes area and on the outside were tables, with sofas and chairs. It was very very pleasing! There was a small shop selling various items but to my mind this was a tad expensive. To one side of the foyer were the travel companies selling trips. We were with Thomsons and used our rep to book trips, but there were other reps selling trips too, one being Apple Vacations and this was staffed by a young English lad called Ian. He was lovely to speak to and was quite knowledgable. Of course you don't have to use any reps to book your trips as there are other ways of doing this. However, I know that the reps don't always earn much (my son being a holiday rep for 9 years) and do depend on selling trips to get the commission, so again it is a personal choice, bit I do tend to book at least one if not two trips with the rep.

The food I thought was extremely good. Ok so it may have been a bit repetitive but there was so much choice for it not to be a problem (to us anyway). Lets face it, who has that much choice in their own home over a two week period! There is lots to eat and the staff were lovely.

The resort itself is small (playacar shops being a 5-10 minute walk away depending on how mobile you are. We did take a walk to Playa Del Carmen and it was a good 30 minute walk - not recommended in the heat as there is not much shade, but a change from lying on the beach. 5th Avenue itself we thought to be quite pricey. It is obviously geared up for tourists and most of the shops sell the same touristy stuff (sombreros, sarongs, etc). We went to Cozumel on the ferry for a couple of hours and I found this to be a bit cheaper with more "normal" shops that had prices displayed for you to see, no hassling to try and get you to see their shop from the inside. I know this is the norm but to be honest it gets on my nerves as all I sometimes want to do is to window shop.

I could go on and on about this place as there are too many things to mention, suffice it to say that this is one lovely hotel and has been one of the very best holidays I have had. No complaints whatsoever. Can't be fairer than than! I am quite envious of anyone going in the next few days/weeks. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
12  Thank MedsecStaffordshire
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I travelled to the Riu Tequila from Toronto March 23-30th. It was myself, my husband, and another couple all in our late 20's as well as the other couple's parents. We booked on a discount website and paid much less than most people we talked to.
Our rooms were ready upon check in - we were lucky to have rooms close to the lobby and pool that we could have sworn were brand spanking new. The grout in the bathroom was gleaming white - not one yucky speck to be found anywhere in the entire room. It was a quiet location, our fridge was always stocked and the beds were very comfortable! One night we called the front desk and asked for more beer - and within 10 minutes a man brought us 12 beers! The rooms were cleaned everyday and I never saw a maid once - incredible!
The pools were a tad small for the size of the resort - but never the less - with the beach and the Yucatan across the road - we always found a different place each day to swim and lounge. The Yucatan pool bar was our fave place to go - we got great service from Armando and you can smoke at this swim up bar unlike the Tequila. The Tequila swim up bar is much bigger - but non smoking, and there are a lot more kids here splashing around everywhere. The beaches were great, very busy, but we always found lounge chairs no matter what the time of day. In fact one day while we were lying there, they were placing brand new lounge chairs everywhere.
The food at this resort is awesome. I am a very picky eater - but of all of the all-inclusive vacations I have been on - this one has the best selection. We didn't love the steak house, but went to the Asian buffet twice - it had a great selection of sushi, and asian food. Yum! Not to mention the deep fried ice cream. They also went above and beyond here for a birthday we had - they decorated the table and sang to us, and provided cakes!
The nightlife here is also really good. All of the Riu guests at the other resorts decend upon the Tequila after dinner and the main courtyard gets packed with people watching the show, hanging around the 2 large outdoor lobby bars, or the sports bar. They all face this courtyard and it's quite the busy place. Later on most of the partiers head to the disco right there - which is actually a fun time!!!
This brings me to the one down side of the trip, and that was that there were 200 students from Minnesota spread out among the Riu resorts. They were rude, loud and all 18 - so they are drinking excessively, puking and peeing all over while the moms who were chaperoning sat back and watched (drank) themselves. I like to party - but am not rude and belligerent to others around me while I do it. Oh well C'est La Vie right?! My fault for going the week after spring break in Canada - which was obviously one of their spring break weeks. The good thing is that there are lots of other places to go to get away from those who are annoying you.
The absolute best part about this resort...The proximity to Playa Del Carmen - the absolute most charming, fun town in Mexico ever!!! It's a $5 cab ride down the street (or you can walk if you like some exercise). You can walk along 5th avenue forever and visit tons of amazing stores, bars and restaurants. I highly recommend La Parilla if you want some great authentic Mexican food. And if you don't want to pay a fortune drinking in the bars, just stop at any of the local stores and buy a beer for a buck! You can stroll and drink for cheap ;) There are also some great clubs in town like The Blue Parrot if you want to dance on the beach, and they also just built a Coco Bongo's there as well. We ate off the resort twice since we love the atmosphere in the town so much. You can also find some amazing places on the beach here during the day as well. - or take the ferry to Cozumel. We also loved that the Riu hotels are located in Playacar which is gated and right next to Playa Del Carmen - so you can walk the streets here any time of day or night and pass by all the other resorts and villas - or visit the plaza which is 2 minutes from the Tequila. It has a Starbucks and lots of local touristy shops.
The walk to the beack is super fast - look up in the trees to spot the black monkeys! And the Riu Yucatan is great to eat lunch at if you want to stay near the beach. My husband used the gym at the Yucatan 3 times - he said it was so cold they had to open the door to let some air out! That's a first for a gym in Mexico!
We also did a quick stroll of the Riu Playacar - and it's not much, just a straight line of rooms and a pool at the bottom...no wonder most people spent the days at the Yucatan and the nights at the Tequila!
All in all - this resort is wonderful if you are one of those people who can't stand being stuck on a resort in the middle of nowhere. There is tons to do off the resort without having to buy into an expensive early morning day trip. The rooms are unbeatable in cleanliness and quality, and the service was fantastic.
You will note that the reviews vary by where the people are from - and us Canadaians are very laid back and gracious when on vacation - so take other reviews with a grain of salt. This is a great location if you want to head to an amazing town like Playa Del Carmen and still have a great all-inclusive vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank Mrs_Alley_V
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband, 7 yr. old and I stayed at the Tequila 4-1 thru 4-11. Check in was a breeze, no waiting, friendly front desk staff. The grounds were beautiful, clean and well kept. Our room was pretty nice , a little small for the 3 of us, but no big deal. We were actually surprised about how comfortable the beds were, given all the complaints from previous reviews. The sleeping area was decorated nice and very clean. My only complaint was the toilet/shower. The toilet didn't flush properly, there was a sewer smell most of the time. When we showered, the whole area flooded so we would use our bath towels to soak it up. There were also alot of mosquitos, so bring repellent! Restocking the mini fridge seemed to be a problem, since it was not restocked often we would have to call to get soda and beer, and it would be warm when it arrived. Housekeeping was great always early, love the towel animals! The food...we have been to alot of all inclusives, and have had better, but I think they do a fair job, I think the facilities are a little small to accomodate the number of guests. We mostly used the buffets for breakfast, which was good, then ate in town for dinner. There are some great restaurants in Playa, don't miss out! Booze...It's ok, not top shelf. Bar staff was great. We were never around to see much of the shows, although our son got to participate in a mini production of Grease at the Yucatan, which was so much fun! He had a blast. The kids club was good, the staff were so nice. The beach was nice, always a place to sit, water was beautiful. Wish there was drink service. Sandbags were odd, but there for a reason. They do create weird currents so be careful! My son and husband were out waist deep and they got sucked under by a whirlpool. The walk to the beach is pleasant, not far at all. There is food and beer at the Yucatan beach club. I noticed a really bad garbage smell by the beer tap, so bad that we stopped getting beer there. Also the bathrooms smelled really really bad up there. But over all we had a great time at the beach, absolutely beautiful! We only went to the pool once, there was no place to sit and sometimes the pool looked murky. Definately not my favorite all inclusive so far, but also not a disappointment. I guess I would say the Tequila is more like a 3 star resort, but a great value for the price. Over all we had a great stay and a lovely time in Playa!

6  Thank rcrgirl
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Hello people. Just got back from a great vacation in playa de carmen at the Riu Tequila. Had a great time. Food was out of this world. Drinks great and cold and the sun was wickly hot. Cannot say anything bad at all about the location, food and staff at this resort. After travelling to dominician and cuba and can see why everyone loves mexico. Felt very safe in playa de carmen and travelled to tulum and xel ha only once. Xel ha was amazing. A definate must to do. So orginized and well worth the money. You can spend a very long day there. Anyway will definately be going back one day. Hate getting back on the plane. That was our only problem. May flight delays and no sunquest rep to be seened anywere. Will never book through them again. Airtransit sooooo much better service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NewfoundlandGak
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We stayed at the RIU Tequila 4/3-4/10 and the overall stay was great. I'll get the bad part over first: the front desk. They are totally useless! We had an issue with a lost passport and they were of no help at all. We kept getting different information depending on who you talked to. One gal said we had to make a police report, another said we had to go to the consulate, and no one bothered to find out what the actual procedure was. I mentioned that maybe it was left in a bathroom at the Cancun airport, and the front desk clerk gave me the phone number of the airport! I called on my cell ($1.00 a minute!!) and got a spanish recording. She never offered to make the call for me. Thank goodness for our transport co. (Cancun Valet). I called to see if we left it in the van; he said it wasn't there, but to call back in 10 minutes. I called back and he had all the info. we needed to get a new passport. He was so nice; I don't know what we would have done without him. It was a fairly easy process and I think the front desk should have answers to questions like that. The corporate office will be hearing from me.
Back to the good stuff: the hotel is very, very nice and I can't say enough about the rest of the staff. Very friendly and helpful. I do have to agree with the other reviews that the food does get a little boring. It was very good and plenty of it, however. I could have lived off the guacalmole and fresh fruit.
The walk to the beach was actually very pleasant; didn't mind it at all. The pool was nice and things were kept very clean. There were always people cleaning! Rooms were nice, no noise at all and we were very close to the pool.
Overall trip was great and I would absolutely go back again!

4  Thank Laurie46