“Paradise”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #54 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Myself my partner and our 2 friends wanted a relaxing holiday in paradise and with non of us gone to Mexico before we were recommended to visit and I am glad we did, it was amazing!

We stayed for 14 nights from the 14th May 2014 - it rained a few days but only for 10 minutes, and to be honest you were glad it did, it was hot.

Food was out of this world, choice, quality and availability, could not fault it, we went to all 3 Al a Carte restaurants, the only one which was slightly disappointing was the Mexican, service was a little slow and the food wasn't brilliant. However the Asian restaurant is mouth watering and we went 3 times, just delicious.

The rooms were jaw dropping, the beds were HUGE, lovely bathroom and dressing room area with ample hanging and storage space, very very happy with the room. All the rooms are air conditioned which is included in the price and you are grateful for this due to the heat, nice size balcony/terrace and the rooms are not clustered and cramped altogether, which is nice, very authentic and peaceful.

ALL the hotel is spotless, you see people working all the time to keep it clean and tidy, gardeners, maids, maintenance staff, the service was superb.

Entertainment started a little late in my opinion, but that is because I was tired by 9pm due to the jet lag, which I never seemed to get used too, the entertainment staff are all trained and great performers, you get the usual enticement to join in and the kids mini disco is by far the best of the night! They are a little loud when you are by the pool trying to relax on their microphone, but that only last a few minutes.

The pool area is massive, plenty of beds and parasols, no need to worry about finding a bed, there is lots of space and lots of shade with natural trees.

The staff were great especially the waiting staff, maids and maintenance staff, be prepared to say Ola all day long, everyone is so welcoming, the only unfortunate episode I had was with a member of the reception, whether he was having a bad day I dont know, but the way he spoke to me was appalling, needless to say our rep sorted the situation which was all over an umbrella!

The selection of drinks is incredible and they are delicious, I don't drink alcohol so I was addicted to their iced coffees, delicious! My partner was trying all the cocktails which were fresh, sweet and fruity.

But by far the most amazing thing about the holiday was the beach, I have never seen anything so beautiful and tranquil, it was a dream to be sitting on it with palm trees as your shade, you only see that in the movies.

The wildlife is great too, with beautiful birds, Raccoons, lizzards, cats etc.... you will never be bored! The Raccoons are friendly and love red grapes, although you are not supposed to feed them but its hard to resist their charms!

Honestly this hotel is beautiful and we will be going back, we traveled with Thompson as we do on all our holidays, wonderful from start to finish, so lucky to have been, and if you are going, you will have a fabulous time!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank Louise N
Write a ReviewReviews (8,196)

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I will preface this by saying, it POURED while we were there, so my impressions of the place are colored by this. The rooms, unless you have the air conditioning blasting, stream with water - the mirrors, the tv screen, the slippery floors - are all damp, constantly. There may be no way around this but it does make for a chilly room. You can either be soggy or freezing. A lot of the walls have pockets of water in them, where the water has seeped in behind the paint. Perhaps this is just how it is when there is a lot of rain. The food, which is pretty marginal at best, is also pretty impacted by the water - ice cream cones are soft, bread is damp etc. There is no made to order food here, at least not in the main dining area, and the Mexican food, which I expected to be epic, was merely so so. The hotel rooms themselves are okay, but this is definitely a bargain hotel - there is hand wash in the shower which serves as body wash, shampoo and conditioner. Definitely bring your own if you want anything more than soap.

The staff were very friendly, but I'm afraid it didn't make up for the condition of the hotel. Again, please know that the weather had a big impact of our time there. Horizontal tropical rain makes pool side reading tough. And it never let up really. That said everyone in the dining area looked similarly sullen about the weather and food. I will also add this is not my first all inclusive. I did a club med two years ago and the food was amazing. So perhaps this hotel is more the standard - it was certainly a cheaper vacation than Club Med, perhaps that's why. Anyway, I don't think I'll be back. One thing to keep in mind on the all inclusives - people drink too much. And you may be awoken by someone banging on a nearby hotel door for ages, because they are drunk and locked out. In fact the guy who showed us to our room explained that we must lock our patio door, not for theft, but for the drunks. Lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank tcwright
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Ignore all the negative reviews ALL the staff at this hotel go out of their way to make your holiday the best holiday you have had, having stayed at another Riu hotel in the Dom Rep last year where the service was as good I will personally will look at a Riu before another hotel chain.Yes the rooms are slightly dated, but they are due to be updated soon I only hope that they do not destroy the Mexican feel of this hotel unlike the plastic feeling Riu Yucatan.My only gripe is the fact we were led to believe we were flying on a dreamliner so my wife & I booked premium seats, imagine our dismay when we saw our plane a 20 year old rust bucket in 1st choice colours with seats that were like like wooden benches not what we had paid over £500 for, the crew both outbound & inbound were excellent but not worth the extra we paid. This was an excellent holiday 1 of the best I have ever had & considering the amount of people that were return visitors I spoke to which amounted to about 50% I can see why. If you have never been to Mexico before you will not go far wrong here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sjl99
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last year for my wedding with a group 16 staff was really help full and nothing was to much trouble for them. Food was good 1 of our party was very fussy but was always something to eat for him.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank monkeynut1
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the tequila mid may,,from check in till check out everything was superb,,went with thomsons ,flew on Dreamliner,lovely. Reps in resort were lovely & helpful ,staff in hotel from lowest to the highest couldn't do enough for you,always friendly,bar staff in the evening were amazing so quick at making the cocktails while taking orders for more!!! The animation team,,I take my hat off to,,they work very hard day and night,,especially in the heat,they want you to enjoy and join in!! Hotel is ideally located,,5 minute walk to beach,little parade of shops 5 minute walk,,taxis located at front of hotel to take you into 5th avenue which was fab (£3) each way 70pesos,,,taxis on every corner in 5th avenue,just get in one they take you straight back to the tequila,,food was amazing choice was immense,,room was lovely,,yes a kettle wound of been nice but it didn't put us off!! Did the chichen itza trip 5.30 pick up long day but a good one!! Husband went diving with a contact out there said the cenotè's were amazing for diving!! Would we go back,,yes in a blink of an eye,, everything was perfect,,even the rain was hot!!! Lol viva la Mexico:))

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah16g
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 11 nights at club hotel riu tequila and was very impressed with the hotel and all it had to offer. The hotel was decorated traditionally, and the grounds were kept very well. The all inclusive basis covered a lot, there was a stocked mini bar in the room that was regularly restocked with beer, water, and soft drinks, there were also 4 spirit dispenser optics in the room. As well as the main buffet restaurant there are three speciality restaurants - steak, Asian, and Mexican that you could eat at as many times as you like, there was also food available 24hours a day from one of the bars. The cocktail menu was amazing!!! The beach was a very short and pleasant walk away, it took 5 minutes maybe less, there was also a frequent shuttle going to and from beach but we liked the walk. You can also use two of the other neighbouring 4 star Riu hotels, we liked to use the chill out pool at the Riu Yucatan. The location is great so close to Playa del Carmen. Only point for improvement is I think the rooms could be updated at some point in the not too distant future. We would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dorsetcamper88
Reviewed June 7, 2014

superb hotel, superb holiday!! this hotel has everything, charm, character, etc.... staff excellent, food excellent, rooms lovely, cannot fault it. All essentials catered for pool towels provided every day, hair dryer in room, optics in room with the option of exchanging local brands for named brands. The choice of restaurants and food is excellent. The pool area is great the staff are entertaining all day long, take part or watch others its great fun. Children are entertained day and night. The beach is a 5 min walk and OMG is it worth it!!!!! for a first time holiday in the caribbean I will definatly be returning in the future.

Room Tip: a room near the pool is ideal as only 2 min walk to reception. we were in room 2609 if that helps an...