“Worth the money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Canton, Ga.
“Worth the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went with a friend, had a wonderful time, food was very nice with a great choice, waiters that you stick with give excellent service always trying to do extra things for those that sit in their area and our room was clean enough for me to walk barefoot which I never do over carpet.
Entertainment was nice, some nights better than others, but always nice. Entertainment staff however I found to be partial to the same guest day after day.

I did not enjoy the rudeness of many guest, not tipping and ordering many numbers of drinks at once, breaking in line as though they owned the right! But you can always tell the ones that are rude rather quickly!

Loved the pool side, food and drinks!

The little coatis are harmless and rather funny, we enjoyed watching them as much as we enjoyed watching the other guest.

We plan another trip down!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank frankielynn101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,293)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Forfar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for a week in October. In previous years stayed 5 star in turkey and Egypt so this was our first visit to Mexico. Flew Thomson from Glasgow. Long flight but good leg room so no worse than cramped flight to Egypt. Easy check in on arrival. If our fussy then you could find faults with this hotel but we chose to try and relax for a week and enjoy ourselves. The food is excellent. Great choices at all restaurants. No problem booking the steakhouse and Asian. Didn't try the Mexican. We chose to spend the morning by the pool and headed to the beach every afternoon. The beach is great. White sand and warm ocean. Much quieter at the beach. A five minute walk. If your very lazy you can get a lift. Staff very good and all friendly. Rooms basic but we hardly spent anytime in them. Great that you can use neighbouring hotels also. One evening we walked into playa and went to fusion bar. This was a great bar on the beach and is well worth a visit. Drink cheap as well. Overall a great holiday. Would consider a return visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DaveForfar
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I just came back from 1 week at Riu Tequila. I went by myself for 2 days and 2 friends joined later, we had the time of our lives. The hotel staff was very accommodating, they put me in the 3-people bedroom from start so I didn't have to change rooms in the middle of the week and my friends could check-in as soon as they arrived at the hotel (early), since the room was ready already.

There are 3 restaurants plus the buffet and they are all good. No, it's not a 5-star experience but they were really good and I have no complains. The buffet specially was awesome and better than the a la carte restaurants in my view. There are shows every night and they are quite good, you don't have to leave the hotel to have fun unless you really want to do something different. Lots of bars around the hotel and the beach, not to mention you can use all other Riu hotels in the same area.

There are tons of activities during the day, I didn't have time to try most of them but they looked fun (Spanish and cooking classes, scuba-diving lesson, dance, aerobics, sports, etc). The entertainment staff works very hard and I just loved Roberto, he's very friendly, funny and made everybody comfortable. The hotel is not AT the beach, but a very short walk through Riu Yucatan, not a big deal at all (there's also transportation to the beach if you prefer).

We went to x-caret and did a snorkeling tour in Puetro Morales, they were AWESOME and the highlights of our trip. Next time I will make sure to include other parks and the islands of Cozumel e Isla de Mujeres too. The water at the beach is warm and VERY clear, one day we saw tons of fishes, people were feeding them bread and they came in hundreds, very fun!

Cons? Well, lots of smokers at the hotel (majority of Europeans), not really the hotel's fault, but still, very annoying. Pool bar closes at 6:00 pm, quite early for a 24 hours resort. My room had a view to the street (LOL), not that great considering I was in a tropical resort full of gardens.

BIG disappointment... it has nothing to do with the resort, but on my LAST day, in fact my last night in Mexico, my camera with ALL my photos was stolen when I was shopping on PDC 5th avenue. It really spoiled my trip, just a note for people to be careful when in downtown.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms 300(s), they face the street and have no view at all. The are quite though, so...
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank agatha m
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel is brilliant been twice and def go back. People are so happy and friendly. The all inclusive is great. Food brilliant good choice also good choice of drinks. Pool is lovely and clean as is the full complex and rooms.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank denise_thomson2
MANSFIELD-NOTTS.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

After staying at this hotel 8 years previously and thoroughly enjoying the experience I was so dissappointed to find standards had dropped, the food quality had gone down a lot, also racoons were running around the hotel in packs stealing drinks and food from sunbeds also from the restaurants. would not use this hotel again!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank BIGLOL999
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were surprised that it was not on the beach and you needed to take a provided golf cart every 5 minutes back and forth. The entertainment staff were busy keeping people engaged in activities. The food that was available was good but not a great variety...e.g...no shrimp were there the week we stayed...we were there with our 2-year old and he had a great time...lots of racoon-like animals (Coatis) always scrounging for food...harmless, but a bit of an annoyance over 7 days....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TorontoPablo
leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our first time in Mexico. HAD a fab time cannot understand the complaints about this Hotel.#
Food superb god knows what people want who complain' there was everything you could wish for
at any time of day,the service we recieved was second to none with special attention paid to Jerramie a
really nice guy.
hotel rooms nice and clean comfy beds nice big shower always kept spotless by cleaners would just liked to have had tea/coffee facilities in room but hey didnot die because they were not in there.
Bar good service considering bar stools all around but never had to wait for more than a few seconds to be serverd.
Beach nice and clean beach appeared to have been graded every day, the day we had sea weed from night time storm ti was quickly removed. Yes the train did smell abit but wasn't that bad. The walk was great too and from beach anyway even tho there were building along side.
There was very little snorkling from beach but a quick boat trip and your are swimming with turtles.
excursions were good what we took coba was excellent had a great day and a great guide in RICARDO XEL HIA was also very good day out although at welcome party reps didnot give all details about extras you have to pay for when there which could have spoiled it had we not taken money Have to point out this was not for food or drink which was very good but some activities
Entertainment for us was a let down at times althought the Mayan night was excellent .This was our first time at a RIU instead of IBEROSTAR and to us the entertainment was well below standard.
There didnot seem to be the personel feel about the RIU with staff maybe because we spent most days on beach not around pool
WILDLIFE? Yes there is a problem with the Coaties, for me it did not concern me too much but for peeps who donot like wild life around them then yes they must be a major headache.
The one day we stayed around the pool they were a pain in the Ar^^ neckand you cannot sit on your bed or at a table without them pestering you with little children it has got to be a nightmare .
Having said all that has four adults no children we had a great holiday and liked the Hotel.
One piece of advice to anyone goin Playacar shopping please hide your hotel wrist band the locals know them all and will come up to you with the lines remember me I am a waiter at your hotel can I show you to my families shop! you have been warned.
Final note I misslaid my hat ( old guys rule) on the hotel premises who ever found it hope you get something out of wearing someone elses hat you nob!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,968 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!